Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited April 2014

My oncologist recommended taking 81 mg. aspirin daily - helps not only for prevention of heart disease, but also reduces risk of recurrence. 

Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten about that! ThumbsUp

Anyone have studies that show that best time of day to take it?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited March 2014

doesn't matter...whenever you'll remember it best.

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited March 2014

Ruth - Thank you. Reading this makes me think you already told me about aspirins. Sorry...when is chemo brain over? Ha!

Edwards750 - Sorry!  Not having info in your signature puts you at risk of having people like me (with chemo brain) getting you mixed up with others. Glad your score is so low. Everything I have read also points to 18 as cutoff.  

Bc101 - Why did you stop the Arimidex?

Setizand - You just had surgery. Hope it all went well for you. Happy with results?

Mjsgumbas - If you read this during your cruise, please know I am sending BEST wishes for unlimited relaxation and fun!  

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited March 2014

It is interesting to note that in the Nurses Health Study the lowest mortality rate was among those who took aspirin 2-5 times a week.  Those who took it 6-7 times a week had a slightly higher mortality rate.  This was anecdotal evidence as this was not a specific study on the benefits of aspirin for those who had been diagnosed with breast cancer, the majority of the women were taking aspirin for the cardiac benefits, and the decrease in recurrence and mortality was noted.

• bc101
    edited April 2014

Nisa - I stopped the Arimidex due to disabling joint pain. My MO switched me to Aromasin and that's been working for me so far. I'll be in that for 5-10 years unless they come up with something better by then. I'm also going to start Zometa this month - recently found to help prevent not only bone loss, but bone mets.

SpecialK - thanks for that factoid on aspirin. Interesting!

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    GlobalGirlyGirl Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2014

NisaVilla - Thanks for the information.  =) 

• ruthbru
    edited March 2014

The Nurse's Health Study is kind of old, I think the ladies were taking the regular dose aspirin. The new recommendations are for daily low dose aspirin. Here is a good recent article from Healthline, July 17, 2013. Pretty exciting!

"A 2,000-year-old drug that costs just pennies could be the latest weapon against cancer. New studies link aspirin use to lower risk for at least eight types of cancer: those of the breast, colon, esophagus, stomach, prostate, bladder, ovary and skin.

Harvard researchers reported that women who took low-dose aspirin (100 mg) every other day had a 20 percent drop in colon cancer risk, compared to women who took a placebo, according to new data from the Women’s Health Study. The findings were published in Annals of Internal Medicine.

“Evidence that aspirin may have cancer-protective properties is both pervasive across medical literature and increasingly robust,” says Marc Penn, MD, PhD, FACC, co-founder and chief medical officer of Cleveland HeartLab.

Earlier studies have reported that 75 mg a day of aspirin may cut colon cancer risk by 17 to 28 percent, and also lower the risk of death after a colon cancer diagnosis by 30 to 40 percent.

The study adds to many other new findings suggesting that this ancient remedy may be a remarkably affordable wonder drug that could help prevent cancer or stop the disease in its tracks. Here are a few particularly noteworthy new studies:

• Breast cancer: In a Scottish study involving 116,181 women, those who took aspirin regularly for 3 to 5 years had a 30 percent drop in breast cancer risk, while a 40 percent risk reduction was seen after more than 5 years of aspirin use.
    • Skin cancer: Women who take aspirin regularly have a 21 percent decrease in risk for melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, compared to non-users, according to a 12-year study of nearly 60,000 women, ages 50 to 79, published in the journal Cancer. After 5 or more years of regular use, risk for melanoma fell by 30 percent.
    • Prostate cancer. Taking aspirin may help men with prostate cancer live longer, by inhibiting the cancer’s growth and spread, according to a 2012 study of nearly 6,000 men published in Journal of Clinical Oncology. The ten-year death rate from the disease was 3 percent among the aspirin users versus 8 percent in non-users.
    • Other common cancers. Daily aspirin use for prevention of heart attacks seems to have an extra benefit: lower 20-year risk of developing or dying from several common cancers, including a 42 percent reduction in colon cancer and reduced risk for esophageal, gastric, biliary, and breast cancer, according to an analysis of more than 41 trials published in Lancet.

Warning Signs of Breast Cancer

Why Does Aspirin Reduce Cancer Risk?

Also known as acetylsalicylic acid, aspirin has two effects that may explain why people who take it regularly for heart attack prevention are less likely to get cancer, says Dr. Penn, who is also director of cardiovascular research at Summa Cardiovascular Institute in Akron, Ohio.

“Aspirin decreases inflammation, which has been shown to play a role in cancer development, and also blocks platelet function,” reports Dr. Penn. “Platelets carry significant amounts of growth factors that may contribute to tumor growth in areas of tissue injury.”

Slowing Down DNA Damage in Patients at High Risk for Cancer

Another new study offers surprising insight into how aspirin may combat cancer. The researchers discovered that the headache-and-heart-attack prevention pill may slow down DNA mutations in abnormal cells in people with a pre-cancerous disorder called Barrett’s esophagus. People with this disorder are at increased risk for esophageal cancer.

In a new study published in PLOS Genetics, the researchers analyzed biopsies from 13 patients with this disorder and tracked their health for 6 to 19 years. The scientists found that on average, in years when the patients took aspirin daily, they accumulated new DNA damage ten times more slowly than they did in years when they weren’t taking the drug.

The team plans additional research to explore the theory that aspirin’s anti-inflammatory powers are why it reduces DNA mutations that could lead to cancer."

• ailurophile
    ailurophile Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2014

So I am wondering what is the difference between ki-67 and Oncotype? doyou just do oncotype to decide chemo or not chemo?i never did an oncotype but did ki-67 and it was 30%.any idea? 

• bc101
    edited April 2014

Good questions. I just googled it quick - not sure who this Dr. is, but I'm sure his explanation is correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kegiEXqMHpo

• ailurophile
    edited March 2014

bc101

thank you for the link. I think I am very confused about it! But any ways,I did the chemo and I am happy I did it.

• specialk
    edited March 2014

setizand - ki67 tells you the percentage measurement of a protein secreted by rapidly dividing cells, or cell proliferation.  It often goes hand in hand with the mitosis portion of your pathology report, which is likely to have a higher number if your ki67 is also high.  Oncotype tells you how effective chemo will be when added to hormonal therapy.  Oncotype Dx can only be done on biopsy or surgically removed tissue that is ER+.  If your Oncotype number is low chemo is unlikely to do as much good, and hormonal therapy is assumed.  If your number is high, chemo is recommended and hormonal therapy is assumed.  The intermediate area is less clear, but the decisons about chemo can be mitigated by other factors such as patient age, tumor size, etc.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2014

Nisa...no worries. BTW I stopped taking Arimidex because it attacks the bones and I have osteoporosis. Since I have been on Tamoxifen my numbers are up and I am out of the danger zone for bone issues. Its the only good thing about that drug.

I take 81mg of aspirin a day too and have for years. My GP prescribed it after my brother died suddenly at 50 believed to be from heart issues. I didn't know it helped to prevent a recurrence but that is good to know.

Diane

• ailurophile
    edited March 2014

Specialk, ThanksSmile

• NisaVilla
    edited March 2014

SpecialK - long time! Always glad to read your scientifically accurate posts.  I noticed your signature was even longer than before... surgery tomorrow?  What's coming...addition of body parts?  Hope all goes well!

• NisaVilla
    edited March 2014

Diane - I am sorry about your brother. How awful to die so young. In my family we have plenty of early deaths but mostly from cancer.  Glad you are doing so well on Tamoxifen!

Bc101 - Your course on Aromasin is similar to Diane's. So far so good for me on Arimidex. I do have morning stiffness, joint aches and borderline bone density but I have increased physical exercise which helps me with that. I am learning to enjoy the gym courtesy of Ruth's good example and encouragement. 

• specialk
    edited March 2014

nisa - yes - surgery again, it is like the movie Groundhog Day.  I have to be re-meshed - my original allograft is failing and that combined with my genetically thin pectoral muscles is causing little bits of my silicone implants to poke through and make small bubbles or lumps on the underneath of both sides.  Lol on the addition of body parts!  I have lost a lot of bits and pieces so maybe it is time to start adding some!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2014

Yikes, SpecialK, that sounds horrible. Hope you are doing OK!

• specialk
    edited March 2014

ruthbru - I am a bit uncomfortable, but ok. Home and resting. PS was happy according to my DH, he removed the implants, did a bunch of pocket work, sewed in the new special mesh, and put the implants back. Glad it is done! Thanks for the good wishes!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2014

Ouch, ouch, ouch (I would not make a good doctor or nurse, as you can tell). Glad you are home. Rest up!

• novagirl
    novagirl Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2014

thank you everyone for welcoming me!! Congrats to Mary Alice and JB for finishing!! That is great! I finish Friday next week. You ladies are the most helpful and friendliest bunch, thank you!!!

• flagirl
    flagirl Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2014

Well, I received the Oncotype test results they are 22.  There is a 14% chance of recurrence from a distant ;ocation in the next ten years.  The BS says the 14% gets reduced to 10% because I am on anastrozole which is better than tami.  He said I don't need chemo because I will only see about a 3% reduction in recurrence.  Going to see the Oncologist on Monday to confirm and he will run the software to determine exactly what percent of benefit I will obtain by chemo.  Right now I am leaning towards NO CHEMO.  So glad to be getting on with it either way and get the treatment underway.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2014

Wait until you talk to the oncologist, that is their field of expertize.

• pinkpan
    pinkpan Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2014

hi, I'm new. I discovered I had breast cancer, did my biopsy, mastectomy n reconstruction all in a week. Everyone around me is sad. But somehow I am feeling quite numb. Perhaps I'm comforting myself that it could be worse. I'm 33 years old, with two boys, aged 2 & 4. Everyone is telling me it's all right n I should  push on. But I dunno why, I dun feel much. I know I'm fighting this battle for my hubby n my boys. Everyone is bracing me for the chemo. Oncologist is telling me, I'm going for 4 times of chemo that she is giving me every two weeks instead of three. After that, I'm starting on another 12 weeks of weekly treatment together w 14 times of heceptin (every three weeks) 

Actually I'm given a lot if info. Perhaps starting on chemo this weekend if my wounds are fine. I dunno wat to expect or shd I say, I dun wan to know wat to expect other than ill puke n lose hair? 

My hubby signed me up in this community. Think he's hoping I'll find more info here.

:)

• lonnie713
    lonnie713 Member Posts: 131
    edited March 2014

hi pinkpan,

I was diagnosed back in Sept.  My Dx is below. It sounds like you are doing AC dose dense and then 12 weeks of taxol plus because you are her2+,  herceptin.  Each person is different when it relates to side effects. I was very sick with the 4 treatments of AC.  Taxol has been much easier.  I have two more wkly taxol left and I'll be finished with chemo.   I just got the call yesterday for my radiation simulation. I start my 5wks of radiation 3 1/2 wks after chemo which puts me at the 15 or 16th of April.  It is hard, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't.  There will be days when you will be completed exhausted.  But.....YOU GOT THIS.  This group is a great source for advice and information and they don't judge.  Hang in there warrior and know that you are not alone.

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited March 2014

pinkpan - you will find a lot of support from wonderful women who have been through all you are facing!! You can vent, cry, complain, laugh... anything that will make you get through the rough road... but there is an end to that road - and you will see from others on here - it will get better.  

Nisa - sorry, I didn't check in while on the cruise.  Took every minute to enjoy time with my fiance, kids and parents and soak up the sun!!!  A little too much - LE freaked out by Thursday.  But it is what it is.  I was bad all week and it felt good!!!!!!!!!!!Happy

SpecialK - hope you are back on your feet soon and feeling good.

• NisaVilla
    edited March 2014

Pink pan - Welcome!  You live in Singapore, wow. How is the medical system there? You did all that in one week? No wonder you are numb. You are still in shock. You have come to the right place. This forum is awesome. How sweet your husband for making the nexus. We are all here to support each through the surgery/chemo/rad mud and beyond. Ask away...

Novagirl - How come you take Herceptin if you are HER negative? My MO called it the "miracle drug" but would not prescribe it to me due to my HER negative status. It feels like candy I want but can't have, lol!

Special K -  Sorry slow response. I hope this is your last surgery. I almost want to volunteer to go in for you.  Keep resting. And watch a lot of TV. I am now hooked on "Homeland" series which has ended but you can stream...highly recommended :)

Mjsgumbas - Welcome back!! Great to hear you were "bad" during the cruise. That is the whole point of getting away from cancer. Now back to broccoli and dark greens, ugh!  I am going to hate the researcher that finds that we did not have to eat healthy and exercise to keep cancer away...LoL.

Flagirl - Hope your appt went well yesterday. I am secretly hoping that you go for a 2nd or 3rd opinion about possible benefits of chemo in your case.

Hugs to all, Nisa

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited March 2014

I think in some ways even 6 months later I am numb. Maybe I somehow compartmentalize, but the whole thing has been dream like. Of course I completely get what has happened, but seems not to have at the same time. For sure tho the first 2 months of dx-surgeries were the most weird and anxious.  After that or after 3 months my emotions got back a little stronger.  Its a long journey.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2014

Pink, no wonder you are numb! That was too quick to even begin to wrap your head around it at all! I did a lot of research when I was first diagnosed, but did not let myself 'think' philosophically about what was happening at all during treatment (some people find great comfort in searching for a deeper meaning at the time, which is great if it helps, but I just wanted to cry and swear), so I focused on just getting through it, one day at a time. It took me a whole year once I was done with active treatment before I could even start to process what I had been through.....and longer than that before I could see any 'silver linings' (of which there are actually many.... but only when you are ready & if you have stayed open to them).

Along with great support on these boards; there is a lot of great factual information, research, tips etc. which you can find by scrolling through the Home Page of breastcancer.org

Nova, if you are getting Herceptin, that means you are HER2 positive.

MSJ, glad you were 'bad' all week!

• smrlvr
    smrlvr Member Posts: 117
    edited March 2014

Pink, I am sorry about your DX, but you will have plenty of support here.  I was not numb at first because I found my lump myself and had a sense that it was cancer from the beginning. I had done a lot of research before,DX in anticipation.  I am sort,of numb to,it all now because I am tired and weary of all this.  But  this is doable.  I had the AC chemo and it made me ill for,the first week but I was fine by the second week.  Just be good, to,yourself and rest when you need.  Stay in bed as often as you need.  Do you have help taking care of your boys?  I am all finished with chemo and will start radiation soon.  Please keep in touch with us, we will be here for you.

• specialk
    edited March 2014

Hi all - doing fine, off pain meds except at night, but will most likely end that by the weekend. The surgery was more invasive than I thought it would be, and there will probably be one more fat-graft. Hey, I'll take insurance covered lipo any day! I have much better shape and better nip symmetry now - really needed new allograft! Unfortunately I have some skin issues on the left where I have had all my previous problems. Keeping my fingers crossed that it heals.