Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• cakes
    cakes Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014

Sometimes your dental office will have samples of Biotene toothpaste and rinse as well as RX fluoride rinses. Don't be afraid to ask for samples; they get them free from reps. :)

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited August 2014

hi, I'm new to this topic.  I'm triple negative and never have understood whether I am Stage 2a or 2b.  Have forgotten to ask onc even though I am about 2 years from date of diagnoses.  Can anyone provide some enlightenment?

To follow on the latest discussion of dry mouth-- my dentist recommended I chew Ice Breakers Gum.  It has xylitol which is supposed to help with both dryness and prevention of cavities.  It is a bit strong when you first chew it but the flavor becomes quite subtle after a couple minutes of chewing.  If you chew one piece too long you will get a little white mustache around your lips so take care to look in a mirror periodically when you are using it.

Hugs and glad that this forum/topic is here,

Peggy

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited August 2014

Yep, Biotene has worked great for me, too. Only 2 small mouth sores that healed up on their own within a couple of days since I started chemo in April. Last infusion is this Tuesday!

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2014

I have biotene spray.  I don't use it enough.  I'm not sure I feel like my mouth is as dry as it really is.

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited August 2014

dear Peggy Sull- according to cancer.gov

Stage II is divided into stages IIA and IIB.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2014

peggy - I would say IIA due to size and no positive lymph nodes.  The only way your could be IIB without nodes is if your mass was larger than 5cm.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited August 2014

I'd say IIA also.

• HollyD
    HollyD Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2014

micro mets. Micro invasions. Are they the same thing?! Had clear nodes after BMX. and from what I believe micro invasions were smaller tumors forming through ought my breast tissue. Starting chemo sept 17. Radiation is TBT but highly expected. I have ex panders in at 150 cc. Hoping radiation is minimal. 

• specialk
    edited August 2014

holly - micro invasion usually refers to DCIS that has a very small amount of IDC, equal or less than 1mm. Micromets usually refers to nodes with cancer larger than .2mm but smaller than 2 mm. Metastasis means cancer has left the breast - that is why positive nodes are sometimes noted on pathology reports as local or regional metastasis, different than distant mets. Tumors, even small ones, throughout the breast would usually be referred to as multi-focal cancer. Are these DCIS or IDC? If you had a BMX, and are node negative, what is the rationale for radiation?

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited August 2014

mmtngirl - Tuesday is almost here and then freedom from chemo for you - hooray!  I don't recall reading anyone getting  the combination of Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxol, and Taxotere. What were the SEs like?  Best wishes in Tuesday, let us know how it went. Hugs, Nisa

• NisaVilla
    edited August 2014

There was a woman whose posts on this thread I enjoyed reading when I first joined this forum last summer. She was active, well-informed and always supportive. She seemed active in the stage iv thread as well. I think of her sometimes and tonight I looked her up. Her last post was in February.  I have an awful feeling about it.  Has this happened to any of you? Thanks, Nisa

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited August 2014

Nisa, I started only planning on 4 rounds of TC.  However, the Taxotere SEs put me in the hospital on Easter Sunday after round 1.  Chemo induced colitis and neutropenia.  That is when I was switched to AC for the following 3 rounds and then 9 weeks of weekly taxol to get my taxane fill which ends tomorrow.  The side effects I have had are similar to all the others...mostly fatigue, some nauseau from the AC but not with taxol.  3 nails have lifted and peeled, mild neuropathy even with icing and glutamine.  Taste bud issues with Taxotere and taxol. I have been able to exercise regularly with the exception of the past few weeks but that has been more to my left getting in the way than my inability to move.  Have also been able to work, although I have been known to leave early for naps. Brain fog and concentration issues are better on the taxol but the hyper sensitivity, agitation and general over emotional (aka I cry at the drop of a hat which is highly unusual for me) have not dissipated and are highly annoying.  Oh, I have had a bit of weight gain on taxol and it is all in my belly due to chemo pause.  Can't wait to get to a stronger and more fit body again.  Exchange scheduled for October 29!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2014

Yes Nisa, that has happened to me. Some people just choose to leave the boards for various reasons, or they could be on a long holiday to someplace wonderful and exotic, and of course, sadly, it could be something worse. If you want to do some detective work, you could go to 'Search' and type her name in the 'Keywords' section to see if someone else has mentioned her in a post. You could also PM her and/or PM someone who frequented one of the same threads as she (especially a stage IV thread, as they try to keep track of each other) & see if they know what's going on. If all this fails, one could make a new 'Does anyone know what happened to Jane Doe?' thread.

• NisaVilla
    edited August 2014

mmtgirl -  Sorry to hear about your experience with Taxotere. I too had a hard time with it and a couple of odd SEs. After second infusion and for about 3 days, I was crying frequently from one eye only!  The acute episode ended as it started, suddenly it was gone. Adriamycin has a reputation to be a hard chemo but I seldom hear people complain about it. Good luck with exchange, you will love the transition to something softer!  My transition went well but I don't like the fina outcome so I will be undergoing a revision as soon as I gather the energy for another surgery. 

Ruth -  thanks so much for suggestions. I sent PM yesterday and did "search" where indeed I found others were wondering aloud about this woman and one other.  I hope I am wrong but I do not expect a response to my PM.  Her last posts and responses were so uneventful, it seems unlikely that she would suddenly choose to end contact.  This made me realize the boundaries of virtual relationships.  I wish I had told her how much I appreciated her posts.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2014

What I did (after asking permission, of course) was; I gave my sister's phone number to a BCO friend, and the BCO friend's number to my sister. That way, if I suddenly went missing, there would be a way for somebody to track down what happened to me.

• NisaVilla
    edited August 2014

Ruth - that was a good strategy. However, you are NOT allowed to get sick or go anywhere.  You are an inspiration to so many people, including me, that you would be in serious trouble with us if you do anything other than staying healthy and happy! LoL 

• missingmercury
    edited August 2014

Ruth, I hope that isn't necessary, but of course all is not 'happy, happy, joy, joy' with BC.  One of my sisters in law died of BC, so I knew to be afraid already.  This place also lets me be hopeful.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2014

I was thinking more along the lines of running off to the secluded South Seas tropical hideaway a young, handsome, virile (and, of course, extremely wealthy) lover....shhh, don't tell DH of my 'plans'!Winking

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited August 2014

Ruth - I like your thinking!!!!!!  Loopy

• NisaVilla
    edited August 2014

Ruth - I'm going with you!! 👯 MJS - come along!  

• ruthbru
    edited August 2014

Okay, he will have to be rich enough for me to bring you all along too......

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited August 2014

Thanks Special K and RuthBru, that confirms what I was thinking.  I go to a local breast cancer luncheon where many of the you women got diagnosed at Stage 1 and only had to have surgery (only, ha!  That's what BC does, skews your perspective).  The women there that were middle aged and older during treatment are mostly Stage 2.  We've been meeting for awhile but I've had to miss a lot so there will be new women there for me to meet.  

Glad to belong to your group too!

Peggy

• ruthbru
    edited August 2014

ThumbsUp

• missingmercury
    edited August 2014

Done with A/C.  Woot!  Due to my low WBC last round, I have to go get a shot tomorrow to boost my bone marrow to make more. 

• ruthbru
    edited August 2014

Celebrating with you missing!!! The shot will be good, it will help you bounce back faster!!!!

• specialk
    edited August 2014

missing mercury - you might want to take a regular Claritin an hour prior to your injection (I'm assuming its Neulasta) to help alleviate bone pain. Continue a Claritin every 24 hours for several days. The antihistamine in Claritin helps with edema in the stimulated marrow, and makes it less painful.

• NisaVilla
    edited August 2014

Congratulations Missing!  If it is Neulasta, in my clinic they gave me the shot in my belly every 3 weeks and had me take a regular Claritin one hour before the shot. Not sure what it would have been like without them but bone pain was minimal and manageable. Good luck and celebrate a little!

• missingmercury
    edited August 2014

Thanks SpecialK and Calif.  I will do that.  Thanks for the party in my corner Ruth.  It is a belly shot and I am pretty sure that is what is it.  They offered to get it set up for me to bring home and due, but I am a baby.  Maybe the next one if I need them during the T/H.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842
    edited August 2014

You can also inject the back of your arm. I have had to have that shot the day after all of my chemo treatments and my 20 year old son does it at home. The back of my arm is still numb from surgery so I dont' even feel it. I took Claritin the day of and the day after and never had bone pain. I forgot this last time and I was more "achey"

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited August 2014

Congrats Missing!!!!  ThumbsUp