Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited August 2014

Question for (brand name) Arimidex users: My monthly co-pay just went from $50 to $6.  Did yours change? I asked pharmacist and insurance and they didn't know. Just told me "to enjoy."  Ha! As if this med were candy or champagne!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2014

homemom - are you getting your Neulasta injection in the same side as mastectomy and node removal?  If so, you should switch arms - you have a lymphedema risk in that arm and should avoid all needles.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842
    edited August 2014

SpecialK LOL Omg I didn't think about that. I guess because it is taking blood or blood pressure that they warn against.  I have just one left! 

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2014

Thanks ladies.  It was Neulasta.  Took it in the belly.  Back of my arms are numb and that would have been smarter, but didn't realize the fluid would burn.  It went away fast though.  My mom told me, "I can do it.  I've given shots to horses."  We went to the nurse.  lol  I do have the Claritin.  Appreciate that bit of advice.

Onward and forward.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited August 2014

Laughing about your mom and the horses!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited August 2014

Hope everyone has a safe, relaxing, SE-free holiday weekend!!!

• missingmercury
    edited August 2014

Yeah Ruth.  That was funny.  I think the Claritin is helping.  My breast bone was tender yesterday at work and felt better after taking the Claritin.  The muscles in the back of my neck are sore today and haven't been sleeping well.  blah.  Long week end to veg.

• NisaVilla
    edited August 2014

MJS - how's your friend? Yesterday I heard my friend's cancer is progressing. I hate this illness!

Missing - loved your mom's horse comment! Hope the long weekend is going pain-free for you.

Everyone - been told by health-hard-core friend to switch to "alkaline" water... Are people doing that?

Thanks, Nisa

• ruthbru
    edited August 2014

Don't even know what it is, and no I am not doing it.....

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842
    edited August 2014

Last year I was talking to a guy who's wife was dx and he said she was going to try alkaline drinks to reduce the tumor. I spoke to him about a month a go and he said it worked really well. She did chemo etc, but he believes in the alkaline 

• missingmercury
    edited August 2014

Nurse told me to watch my weight gain.  Turns out estrogen likes to cling to fat cells.  Sigh.  Of course it does.

Haven't heard of alkaline water.  So far pain free.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2014

It couldn't like to cling to brussel sprouts, could it.....Devil

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited September 2014

Nisa - brain cancer friend is doing very well. She is just about 1/2 way into her 6 wks chemo & rads. Says she feels great & even wants to do a group dinner!

Other friend with BC - seems thing are more complicated than they thought. They originally thought stage 0 - now after review tumor is larger than they anticipated & she just had node biopsy under her arm pit Thurs. Going for full body scan Tues - so she will know more after that. Fingers crossed this is all they find & she can get surgery scheduled & brave the treatments.

Thank you so much for asking!!

Too funny Ruth!! Fat never goes where we want it to - thats for sure!  I gained about 22lbs after all was done & started tamox but have managed to lose just over 15 of it since January - it is a biatch!!!! For sure! Trying to eat more veggies & walk alot - but otherwise I just wanna enjoy food! Going for huge crab legs today & leave for New Orleans Thurs - so what diet???? Lol

Hope you all had a nice holiday weekend! Would love to meet with you wonderful ladies! We should try to organize a central trip!!

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited September 2014

Hi Everyone,

I recognize many of you from other threads, but I just found my way here.

I think I am stage 2a, but only 1 node was removed, so who knows. Tomorrow I meet with the MO for the first time. See the RO for the first time since my surgery. Hopefully, I will have a treatment plan soon and get moving forward.

Poppy

• ruthbru
    edited September 2014

Welcome, Poppy! Let us know how it goes.

• missingmercury
    edited September 2014

Welcome Poppy.

Ruth, ain't it the truth.  I actually was on the road to health before my diagnosis.  I lost about 40lbs before my surery slowly.  I know being healthier helped my recovery.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2014

If anyone is interested, there are some good exercise & help with weight threads on the Fitness Forums. The ones I post on are 'Wednesday Weigh In' (you don't have to post your weight, just how you did since the last week), and 'Lets Post Our Daily Exercise'....a great group of ladies in all stages of treatment and beyond, and all exercise levels (from walking down to the mailbox or around the block, up to really serious athletes) who support each other to 'get out and do something' every day (which is the biggest non-medical thing we can do to reduce our risk of recurrence).

• nitengirl1
    nitengirl1 Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2014

Is there a chat group or thread for stage 2 pre-menapause.  I'm learning the risks of reoccurences and treatments can be very different? 

Debby

• nitengirl1
    nitengirl1 Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2014

European water has the PH or alkalin levels posted on the bottles.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2014

Hello Debby and welcome to the BCO community. There are wonderful members here who can offer support and personal experiences to ease the distress of being diagnosed with breast cancer. We are thinking that if you don't see a topic that fits your questions you can always start a new topic with your particular questions under the desired thread. Keep us posted. The Mods

• missingmercury
    edited September 2014

Debbie, I am pre-menopausal also.  Right now I just post mostly in here.  If you find a pre-menopausal thread or start one, let me know.  I am right on the edge of pre-menopausal and get really scared that I am post and this chemo won't work.  I have discussed this with my ONC though and this is mostly my fear of this scary thing.

• clarrn
    clarrn Member Posts: 160
    edited September 2014

Hi Debby.   I'm pre-menopausal too and post at times on the young with BC thread.   You might want to check in there.   

• PoppyK
    edited September 2014

I'm pre-menopausal, too.

I met with my MO for the first time this morning to discuss my treatment plan. The chemo is the same regardless of my menopausal status. The anti-hormonal therapy does depend on menopausal status.

I hope that gives you some comfort, Missingmercury. :-)

Poppy

• linny
    linny Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2014

Hi, I havent posted for a few years.  I used to post regularly in 2005 from my time of diagnosis, and for the next few years.  I was treated from 2005 to 2006 for stage 2b, left breast.  lumpectomy,and axillary node dissection, then chemo, then radiation.  Still on femara.  my nipple on the affected side is red and looks like a small boil.  only noticed today and I think only happened in the last day or two.   I went to my primary care doctor today (no longer under a breast cancer doctor) who said I should have a mammogram (I'm due for my annual one in October but she said sooner) and breast ultrasound (which I've never had).  Has anyone experienced this. No bleeding or discharge.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• NisaVilla
    edited September 2014

MJS - good news about friend undergoing chemo. So nice her spirit is up for a group dinner! Your chance to spoil her rotten.  Wishing the best to. BC friend.  I hope it is small-small if it cannot be stage zero.  I dont think they sell veggies in Orleans so enjoy and diet later. And yes, I vote for a trip to Vegas or another fun place where they don't sell vegetables.  I need a vacation from the many unpleasant greens I eat daily :)

Linny -  hope your visit here is a passing one. Let us know what tests show. The only time something similar happened to me years ago was when I sun bathed a bit too much on one occasion. Problem went away in a few days but this was way before BC.  Hope yours also goes away soon.

Nitengirl -  when it comes to knowing what is in your food, no place labels as well as Europe.  I am in CA and every effort to get more and clearer labels gets squashed by the industry and those who don't want us to know.- unfortunately.

• missingmercury
    edited September 2014

Poppy, being triple positive the treatment is slightly different if menopausal or not.  It is all about the estrogen.  Thanks for the support though.

• PoppyK
    edited September 2014

Sorry, missingmercury! I didn't take note of the HER2+ on your Dx. 

• missingmercury
    edited September 2014

No worries.  So see my ONC tomorrow to discuss my heart scan and next course of treatment.

• PoppyK
    edited September 2014

I'll be thinking about you!

My Daddy is coming in from North Carolina to visit with me for a few days. I'm so happy! I haven't seen him for a few years. For our summer vacation, we were supposed to go to North Carolina. But we had to cancel due to my diagnosis and treatment.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2014

Hey Poppy, my sister lives in North Carolina and is coming out to visit us this weekend for a few days too. You & I both should be able to give them some nicer weather than they have been having....been horribly hot & humid there.