Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited September 2014

Ruth, It's wonderful your sister is coming to visit you. I love North Carolina! My family lives in the Raleigh area. They looking forward to our dry Ca heat and oranges. My kids are looking forward to seeing their Grandpa and Grandma!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited September 2014

My sister lives in the Raleigh area!!! I will PM you where......

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156
    edited September 2014

Having a bad week.  The dog my ex and I had for almost 15 years died Tuesday.  He stayed with my ex and you guys know I have Oreo now, but so sad I just cried and cried.  He was such a good dog.  He was old and not comfortable, so at least now he is off to play forever.

Poppy and Ruth, good you are seeing family this weekend.  I am going to an Old West festival.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2014

missingmercury, that's very sad, we're so sorry for your loss... 

Big hug,

The Mods

• ruthbru
    edited September 2014

I am so sorry about your dog, missing. Those darn pets become such a beloved part of our lives....I suppose because they think we are so cool and love us unconditionally. Sending a virtual hug to you!

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited September 2014

Big gentle hugs Missingmercury. I have lost several dogs and I understand how much a part of our lives they become. So sorry for your loss!

• PoppyK
    edited September 2014

I'm sorry about your dog Missingmercury! We love our furry family members so much.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842
    edited September 2014

{{{{HUGS}}} Is that Oreo in your picture?  I had a black lab that lived to 16 so I know your pain. Her hips just started giving out and she stopped eating and getting out of her bed. It was a tough decision but she wasn't enjoying her life anymore. Sad

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited September 2014

I am sorry about your loss, Missing.  Must be especially hard now that you are in the midst of active treatment and not having your full strength. My golden retriever, after months of receiving various treatments, died on July 25th. All I kept thinking and saying was "thank you, thank you" for 10 years of joy and love.  Sending you hugs!

• missingmercury
    edited September 2014

Homemom, that is Oreo.  She is fine.

I feel kind of stupid.  I thought Herceptin was a pill.  ONC told me today my heart is good.  We went over my next treatment, T/H and I found out the H is also an infusion and I will do it once a week for 52 weeks.  I know it is necessary, especially the Herceptin, but wow.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842
    edited September 2014

Oreo looks like my Abby :

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited September 2014

missing - once you are done with your taxane with Herceptin you can switch to an every 21 day dosing of Herceptin only. 

• missingmercury
    edited September 2014

Oreo does look like your Abby :-D

SpecialK, thanks for letting me know.  I will certainly look into that.

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited September 2014

Missing, the loss of a dog is really really hard.  They can be so loyal and soothing and understanding.  They NEVER judge you. 

Condolences and glad you have Oreo!

• NisaVilla
    edited September 2014

Interesting article. 

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/830552_2

I am in debt to Ruth and Claire who provide the inspiration for me to go on my "fast and furious" walks that started twice an week, went up to 3 times, and now working on 4 times. The mental health benefits of exercising are also well-proven. 

Hugs, Nisa

• NisaVilla
    edited September 2014

Sorry I posted a bad link.  I hope this works: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/830552_2

• NisaVilla
    edited September 2014

Thanks for the PMs telling me the link still did not work. Sorry about that. It is odd. It worked for another group and we had a great chat about it. Don't know how to fix it here as I don't have the password to that site.   If you don't mind googling, here is where you we'll find it. I insist only because it is a very good read.

Medscape "Mythbusters: Complementary and Alternative Treatments in Cancer"

• missingmercury
    edited September 2014

Had a followup with my surgeon yesterday and a CSCAN.  I told her I have some pain around my port area.  She sent me to vascular to make sure it wasn't a blood clot.  None was found.  Still sore.  Might have slept on it wrong.  She says after the T portion of the T/H is done, I will be referred to radiation to see if that is recommended.

• sybilskelton
    sybilskelton Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2014

Just joined this club, not one I ever wanted to be a member of, but I'm glad you all are here.

I'm stage IIa, no node involvement, clear margins, but tumor was large 3.5 cm. Her2 was negative, but 100% estrogen fed. I had the usual tests, PET scan, etc. and everything looked good so I thought I'd maybe get away with just radiation. Then the Oncotype test came back - scored 64. Oncologist said it was one of the highest he'd ever seen, I always was a high scorer on tests. Lucky me. He felt the cancer was aggressive enough to recommend fairly aggressive chemo followed by radiation. From the information I've been able to absorb, this seemed to be typical course of treatment for a case like mine.

I had the port installed and had my first chemo three days ago. And I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Now I'm having all kinds of second thoughts. Should I have sought out a second opinion, things like that. I think I need some moral support. Glad I found you folks.

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2014

Hang in there Sybil, you will make it through it.  It is not fun.  I had my worse days from day 3 - 5 of each treatment.  I had three week cycles and felt really good on week 3 of each cycle and decent during week 2.

Try not to second guess your decisions.  

Hugs to help you through the rough days.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2014

Welcome, Sybil. We too are sorry you had to join, but glad you found this amazing group of individuals!

• Nettie1964
    Nettie1964 Member Posts: 627
    edited September 2014

Sybil, it's doable! But I must say I'm a little jealous that you had a PET Scan, my MO has NEVER done one so I'm left with the worry if anything is still lurking!  Good luck!!

• NisaVilla
    edited September 2014

Sybilskeleton - Welcome! and I am sorry you have to be here. You will be amazed by the knowledge and support found in this forum. It sounds like you are following a comprehensive treatment plan. I agree that chemo sucks but I promise it will get easier as you will be able to anticipate and manage side effects in the next round.  My best advise is to drink tons of water and surround yourself by supportive people.

It is actually never too late to get another opinion, people do at any point in treatment. I did too. You can also ask the friendly folk at Genomic Health all the questions you might have about the oncotype.  I sent four tumors to them and had lots of questions - they were wonderful.

If you have questions, ask away.  I'm sure you will get helpful responses. We really get what you are going through, and we are here for you!   Hugs, Nisa

• PoppyK
    edited September 2014

Sybil,

Hang in there! I encourage you to check out the September chemo 2014 group in the chemotherapy topic. There is a lot of info and support from the people there. Hope to see you there.

Poppy

• ruthbru
    edited September 2014

Hi Sybil, the 'good' thing about doing chemo with that score is; you aren't in a gray zone, you don't have to wonder what you should do.....you KNOW you need it. Chemo is creepy, but you want to give yourself the best chance to never have to deal with cancer again!!!

• Rose0766
    Rose0766 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2014

mediport went in today, reality has really set in :( echo on Monday, chemo starts Tuesday, oh joy

Adriamycin/cytoxan here I come! Anybody here just starting chemo?

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited September 2014

I started 3 weeks ago with AC. I have had 2 treatments...I have one every other week. It does seem so fast before you start chemo with the tests and port placement and all but it will calm down after you get started. My advice is just to take it one day at a time and do what your doc says. I would check out the September Chemo board. You will find lots of women going through exactly what you are. I am on the August board and they are a great source of support and advice for me. Also read the thread about what you need for Chemo...it has lots of resources. For me Chemo has not been as bad as I feared it would be so far...I feel good a lot of the time. Welcome to the board even though none of us want to be here. Hugs Amy

• Rose0766
    Rose0766 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2014

justamy: thanks for the words of advice and the info on the other boards! Glad that your SE haven't been bad so far! Hoping for the same for me! :)

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited September 2014

Hey Sybil, I had a large tumor too, three in fact. One was 3.9 cm, another was 2.1 and the third 1.7! My Oncotype score was low, and I had no node involvement (an absolute miracle with that much tumor load). Chemo was still recommended for me. You can do this, and we are here to help you in any way we can. Hang in there!

• ruthbru
    edited September 2014

I didn't have any nodes involved either, but the size (4 cm) got me on the chemo train. As much as I didn't want to do it then, now I am really glad that I did....gives me more peace of mind (in my case, there was a 50/50 chance that some microscopic cells had already escaped into the blood stream....since I am not a gambler, I wanted to go for the kill!). You are doing the right thing for your situation. Keep hanging in there....it is dreadful, but it is temporary, and you can come out on the other side and be really, really okay. Sending a hug!