Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• SoLinda
    SoLinda Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2015

Just saw your post shelleym1 - I just completed a 3,000 km. drive to get to my 6-month check-up on Monday!!! Thanks for your comment about chemo. I don't regret it, but yes, it sure was a scarey time. Chemo itself was easy! Thanks to anti-nausea drugs, I had no problems that way ... But yes, chemo is incredibly dangerous!

• clarrn
    clarrn Member Posts: 160
    edited March 2015

Thanks for all the tamoxifen advice ladies! You have made me brave enough to start :) Had my TE exchange on Feb 27 and am currently dealing with a nasty infection. Fever of 39.6 today. On some good antibiotics as of today and should be feeling better soon!

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015

Hi Ladies!

I've been having pelvic pain for a few months and I went for an ultrasound and had my follow up with my Gyn yesterday.  He said for some unknown reason I'm forming cysts when I never used to - I'm convinced it's the Tamoxifen.  He said I have two choices  - deal with it for the next 4 yrs until I hit menapause or have my ovaries removed.  He recommended the ovary removal because it also takes out the cancer risk since we are more likely to get ovarian cancer because of the breast cancer.

So I told him I want to sit on it and think a bit and I also want to talk to my onco becasue removal of the ovaries means hormones and tamoxifen pills and I really want hr take on it.  I go for an MRI and Mam on 4/1 and see my onco on 4/8 - this is for a six mth follow up for a lump - so I may be facing the full bag of mastecomy, chemo, etc on top of the ovaries.  Hoping we just have to deal with the ovaries :)

Anyone have their ovaries removed and how did it go?  I'm also curious after seeing Angelina Jolie on the news this morning if I should ask about the fallopian tubes?

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited March 2015

Mommado - I suffered from several ovarian cysts prior to BC and had a large one at the time my BC was diagnosed.  The cyst went on the back burner until we dealt with the BC.  9 months after my double mast I opted to have a full hysto (at age 41).  I am glad I did - for peace of mind!  I didn't want the chance of getting the silent monster in the back of my mind.   Tamoxifen already puts you into menopause - the hysto just made it the real deal.  It took some getting used to the hot flashes & night sweats, but with time, things have settled down.  The night sweats eased and the hot flashes are "tolerable".

Hope you find answers to all your question when meeting with your doctor!

• daisylover
    daisylover Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2015

Hi Mommado, I had my ovaries and tubes removed a little over 3 weeks ago. Current research shows that ovarian cancer tends to start in tubes. I was having my ovaries shut down chemically (Lupron) and wanted off that. It was not a difficult surgery to recover from and my hot flashes have increased minimally. I took Ibuprofen after surgery -- oddly only 1 of the 3 incisions hurt! My cancer is strongly hormone positive; so, the oophorectomy made sense. I am now able to switch to an Aromatase Inhibitor from Tamoxifen. I was walking slowly on the treadmill the day after surgery (with surgeon's blessing). Best of luck sorting this out!

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited March 2015

That's interesting about Angelina Jolie. Thanks for mentioning it - I don't usually pay attention to the news.

I would like to have my ovaries and tubes removed, too. I am not BRCA, but my great aunt had ovarian cancer. I've had a BreastNext panel done and all was negative. I just know there's a cancer gene there somewhere - I have a lot of cancer in the family tree on dad's side, although not first degree relatives.

When I asked about a hysterectomy just to get rid of the chance of getting more cancer, my NP said no....claiming it's not necessary and that your uterus helps hold everything together, etc. etc. I thought, hmmm, who are you to make that decision for me? I had never heard that we have a greater chance of getting ovarian cancer since we've had breast cancer, but it makes sense. So why not remove the target? Especially since there is no screening test or symptoms for ovarian cancer. Most of us probably aren't followed as well as celebrities like Jolie. I'm getting kind of nervous because I'm having cramps (I'm post menopausal), probably due to the fibroids I've had since forever. I had an US and now I'm scheduled for a hysteroscopy, which I am dreading. I'm assuming it's just to have a look-see. Guess I better start studying up on all this so that I can make an informed decision. UGH! I hate this!

• 6doggies
    6doggies Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015

Hi Everyone,  I just started Taxol last week, the first day of Spring!! I was wondering over the weekend if I should have my ovaries taken out, I had a partial hysterectomy in 2009, but had them leave my ovaries because I didn't want to go on hormone therapy and go through menopause at 41. Now at 47, I have to wonder if that was a huge mistake for keeping them, since my bc is estrogen positive. 

• sybilskelton
    sybilskelton Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015

6doggies, I don't think you can ever second guess that stuff. I had a complete hysterectomy 11 years ago, and my BC is 100% estrogen positive. It was kind of comical I guess cause the first thing I said was HOW CAN THAT BE, I DON'T EVEN HAVE OVARIES ANY MORE. The doc assured me that ovaries aren't the only estrogen producer in your body, just the primary one.

I did take hormone replacement therapy for about 18 months after the surgery, mostly because the hot flashes were miserable, but they gave me migraines so I quit them. The decision to do HRT is one I've second guessed a bit in light of the ER+ breast cancer, but that's no good now. The only way forward is forward.

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156
    edited March 2015

Hi, all.  I am off Herceptin for a while.  My heart ejection fraction is down to 45%.  My onco did tell me she wants me to go ahead and start tamoxifen.   My hair is slowly getting thicker, but still scalp on top.  I did get tired of hats and have gone without a few times at work.  I'm at the slightly depressed-I don't care point right now.  Neuropathy from taxol is slowly improving.  If it became an option I would get my ovaries out.  Since my cancer is estrogen fed it seems like that would be helpful.  No issues with them though.

I am going to adopt another dog or two.  A local shelter has some mastiffs for adoption.  I miss having a big dog around.  Oreo is 50lbs, but that is medium to me.

mm

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited March 2015

Sending a hug, mm. Yes, adopt some dogs! It will be wonderful for them and wonderful for you too. Pets are great for lifting the spirits, and driving one crazy, but in a good way. Smile

• smrlvr
    smrlvr Member Posts: 117
    edited March 2015

Mommado, I had a complete hysterectomy in December, 2014. My gym thought it was the right thing to,do,for me due to the fact I was estrogen positive. Plus with lobular I am better off on an AI, and I was able,to switch from tamoxifen to letrozole. No regrets at all. I recoverd quickly and feel,fine

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156
    edited March 2015

Thanks, Ruth.

• ailurophile
    ailurophile Member Posts: 124
    edited April 2015

Hi ladies

I had the worst cold of my life and I coughed my lungs out during the time, a week later my boobs were swollen and so painful! I was so scared because I was just a week apart from my 3d nipple tattoo with vinnie myers! went to plastic surgeon's office,she said strong cough,ripped all the tissues in that area and that is why I was feeling miserable! So I thought I should share this with you all. if you have cough or cold you need to take care of it . It took 10 days to get better, I did not need to take Antibiotics or any thing but motrin was suggested because of anti inflammatory effect it has! Good luck every one! take good care of yourselves :)

• mommado
    edited April 2015

Hoping for a few prayers and good thoughts today, I'm going for my 6mths follow up MRI and Mammogram for a lump they found that was too small to biopsy back then.  I'm actually feeling pretty good about it today - I remember when I first found my lump in 2011 I knew it was cancer, when my son was diagnosed with his brain tumor I knew it during the MRI and when my son was diagnosied with Hydrocephalus in utero I knew there was something wrong the day of the appointment.  Today I don't have a bad feeling - since my gut is usually right I'm going with it!

I do absolutely hate the MRI's, I have a bad back and it is the worse type of torture I've ever been through.  I remember sobbing through the last two from the pain so I'm hoping this one goes better.

<3

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited April 2015
    Good luck today, Mommado, with both the tests and the results. Keep us posted. Hugs and prayers.
  • ruthbru
    edited April 2015

Let us know what you find out, Mommado.

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited April 2015

Mommado - sorry to hear all the hard experiences you went through as you were confirming you have the gift of intuition. We are with you today, with our positive thoughts and wishes holding your back for less discomfort as you get the MRI that hopefully will confirm good news. Let us know how it went. Hugs, Nisa

• SoLinda
    edited April 2015

Mommado - sending positive thoughts and hugs XXX

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 408
    edited April 2015

good thoughts for you mommado

• mommado
    edited April 2015

good news!!!! The mri and mammogram radiologist both agreed that the lumps were clarifications!!! I have no idea what they are but they said nothing to worry about. Of course I won't celebrate till my oncologist agrees next Wednesday.

Thank you all for the prayers......Love you all so much!!!!

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

Great news, Mommado!!! Thanks for letting us know. Now to get the MO's official word and it will be time to break out the double-chocolate brownies and celebrate.

PS - Not sure if you meant calcifications or something else but it looks as though spell check has pulled an April Fool's prank on your post. :)

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

clarifications or calcifications.....either way, it's all good! ThumbsUp

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

"clarifications or calcifications.....either way, it's all good! ThumbsUp"

Exactly, Ruth!

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2015

Yeah Mommado - go celebrate! Hugs, Nisa

• U4iachic
    U4iachic Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2015

Okay ladies, I am new. I had my last chemo yesterday. I have spend 2 days crying because I'm terrified they have missed something. I had a lot of back pain with treatment 3. I told the onco and he wasn't worried. We did 4 yesterday and he said we will follow up in 5 weeks and that the pain should abate as the chemo runs it's course. Did anyone else have a lot of back pain with chemo? I do neulasta too. Yes I'm taking Claritin. Just trying to calm my self down a bit. The 2 positive nodes are throwing me a bit. He also told me that I had IDC and small amount of ILC. Which he said changes nothing. I just don't even know what to think. I thought I was only IDC. Can any of you offer some words of encouragement? With my hormones being shut off are these feelings of being sad and over whelmed normal. The pain? The nodes scaring me. Just any thought are welcome. Thank you!

• SoLinda
    edited April 2015
    Great news Mommado! I'd start celebrating :-)
  • ruthbru
    edited April 2015

Hi U4. I wouldn't worry about the back pain....it could be caused by STRESS as much as anything else. Yes, it is totally normal to be all freaked out at this point of treatment. Like you said, your hormones being disrupted plays as part, plus the fact that from the moment of diagnosis you are drawn into a whirlwind of decisions, appointments, treatments.....it is only now that you have a chance to reflect on what has happened and almost all of us go through a period of struggle with that. Be nice you yourself, get a little exercise if you can, do some fun non-cancery stuff (retail therapy perhaps?). When you have done, and are doing, everything advised to prevent recurrence....at that point you just have to leave it to God or Fate (depending on your religious beliefs), and go out to live & enjoy the life the you have right now as best you can. Hugs!!

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2015

U4 - I can relate to all that you are going through. It is that "now what?" scary feeling after active treatment ends. We go from getting a lot of medical care and attention from caring family members and friends to suddenly being told to be thankful and move on. My chemo nurse's last words were "now you go live your life" when I could barely walk from peripheral neuropathy! Remember thatYou are still filled with toxic medications. They don't go away overnight. I recommend walking, eating healthy, mindless movies and giving yourself time, as much as you need, maybe months, to feel again in control of your life. In the meantime, we are here to support you. I'm sending a silly joke just to get you to laugh a little...

"A woman's husband had been coming in and out of a coma for many months, yet she stayed by his bedside every single day. When he came to, he motioned for her to come nearer.

As she sat by him, he said, "You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times.

When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business failed, you were there.

When I got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you gave me support.

When my health started failing, you were still by my side… You know what?"

"What dear?" She asked gently.

"I think you bring me bad luck."

• U4iachic
    U4iachic Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2015

LOL, thank you for the joke. I appreciate it. It made me laugh! I also appreciate the advice. It all makes so much sense and then those feelings of panic hit. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for you all caring enough to respond. I will be sticking with you all for support for sure. This makes 2 boards after months of lurking around this site I have finally felt I belong on.

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015
    U4iachic - I'm sorry you're in this situation but glad you have found BCO and feel at home here. I hope you find as much support, understanding and information here as I have. Don't ever hesitate to ask (no such thing as a stupid question), vent or whine. We even celebrate from time to time.