Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,589
    edited April 2015

Thinking of everyone waiting for tests & going through treatment. Rough stuff physically and emotionally. Old Johnny Carson DVDs are great for mindless fun & some laughs and any exercise you can get will help too.

Nisa, they are doing as well as can be expected....thanks for asking. I just heard that the mom of a student at that same school, who had been terribly ill, died today. When it rains it pours.......

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited April 2015

Oh dear, Ruth - I am sorry to hear that. What a dreadful time for so many there in your town. It certainly reminds me that things could be a lot worse chez moi.

I didn't know there were Johnny Carson DVDs - I'll have to check the library, maybe Netflix? Those would certainly be fun. I always enjoyed his wit.

I'm told the treadmill might not be a good idea for a while but I don't see the difference between walking on it listening to NPR and going out for a walk - which IS o.k.? It's not as though I'll be tempted to do any jogging for a while... I'll see how it works to use my stationary bike, too. The weather is supposed to be improving but around here one never knows. The last couple of weeks have been so cold, stormy and wet!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

Why wouldn't the treadmill be fine?

Yes, there a tons of Johnny Carson DVDs.....I especially get a kick out of the animal hijinks ones, but they are all excellent.

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

Ruth, I honestly think they're concerned that I'll be jiggling too much. As if!!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

Ha!

• U4iachic
    U4iachic Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2015

Thank you ladies. My scan is scheduled Monday. I have to let the radioactive dye sit for 3 hours. So I guess I'm taking videos....... :) Either that or sleeping. I cannot believe that I'm 2 weeks PFC and more tired now than I ever was! I'm exhausted.

Oh and I have another question, my dr. said that the "taxotere is the one we increased the last time." Is that based on my weight etc I wonder? I did gain 5 pounds during chemo. Just kind of wondering if you knew what that meant.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

They do base dosage on weight.

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

When I had my scan they scheduled a bunch of other imaging in between the administration of the dye and the scan, so it helped kill time, which I appreciated. It did make me cold - I don't know if that's common or not but I was on the verge of needing a warm blanket so you might take an extra sweater or something along, just in case... Videos are a good idea. I take crosswords :)

Good luck - hope it goes smoothly and nothing is found. Let us know!

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    edited April 2015

So what is the protocol with any kind of pain? I have shoulder blade pain that didn't start until I returned to work and started sitting at the computer. I have tissue expander in left breast so I attribute the pain to the way I am standing and holding myself..as my neck aches some times too. The pain goes away and then comes back after I start sitting again. PT says its probably the tissue expander and sitting at the computer. I have my followup up with MO tomorrow..guess I will mention to him. Finished chemo on Feb 5th. Just wondering if anyone else experiences shoulder pain from sitting or just poor posture due to the surgery.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

Mention it, but it sure sounds like it is related to sitting at the computer & the tissue expander.

• thinkingpositive
    edited April 2015

Just get really nervous with any kind of pain. I guess there is always worry.

• Rose0766
    Rose0766 Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2015

thinking positive: I've had shoulder, neck and back pain since my mastectomy/tissue expander surgery. It's progressively gotten worse with every fill. I'm finally at my max with 640cc today- rib pain at bottom of expander has started. I asked the PS about muscle pain in neck and back, he said it probably from change in posture from surgery and expander. I can't wait to get this thing out

• thinkingpositive
    edited April 2015

Thanks Rose0766...makes me feel better knowing someone else is experiencing the same thing. I have to schedule an appt to go back to my PS to schedule the exchange. Unfortunately I procrastinate. He wants to do reconstruction on my good side, but I am not sure and have definate difficulties making decisions. Not sure what to do...I have a ductal cyst in that boob and just wished I had time to think back in Sept when diagnosed...I would have questioned having something done about it at the same time. But you focus on the most important thing which was the IDC they found...so...now I have decisions to make.

• Rose0766
    Rose0766 Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2015

I need a lift on the left, but since my expander is sitting so high on my chest, I'll have my exchange and let it settle, then do lift on left side. Not happy about another surgery but I understand why it has to be

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2015

Any insight on a low WBC?  Had my yearly physical and my WBC was 39 which was only 1 number outside of the normal range but my primary wants to do a retest and some other tests in a month or two to be sure nothing is going on. Normally I wouldn't think twice about a number that is just 1 outside the normal range but of course with cancer and it being the WBC I have to ask :)

Love and prayers to all of you :)

• runningcello
    runningcello Member Posts: 101
    edited April 2015

Mommado,

Thanks for bringing that up. If anyone can also help with my concern, my platelet count is at a 107 and I've been done with chemo since the end of the September. It hasn't gone back to its normal number of being in the 150s since I began treatment but the last few times I've gone to get my non chemo infusion, it has been low and it dropped from 119 in February to 107 now. The oncologist doesn't understand why but will be monitoring it now every 3 weeks I always worry it could be cancer or something.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

My doctor said that it can take up to 5 YEARS after chemo for the blood counts to go back to normal. ....and sometimes they never do. My platelet numbers still drag down right on the bottom of 'normal' or even a few points under. But I feel fine, am fine, and there's nothing I could do about it anyway, so don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

• thinkingpositive
    edited April 2015

Had my appt with MO and they did blood work. I asked if everything was okay.. he said yes. When I got home I checked the patient portal for my results and found out that my Glucose level is 141. I can't imagine why it would all of a sudden be high. All during chemo up until this blood test its always been in the normal range. I even cut out most sugar from my diet...I hardly have anything that has sugar...if it does its minimal. So how is that possible. Makes me wonder why MO didn't say anything. I looked at the tests that they are doing and it seems to be all the same tests that they did during chemo. do they ever do anyother kind of blood tests...tumor markers or what ever they call them???

• smrlvr
    smrlvr Member Posts: 117
    edited April 2015

thinking positive, have you been taking any steroids? My glucose,got really high when I took dexamethasone during chemo. It made me feel so sick that I refused to ttake it as a pre med. actually thought, I don't think 140"is terribly high. Mine went up to 250

• thinkingpositive
    edited April 2015

SMRLVR - No steriods.. last time those were taken was back in Feb. The only thing that I take now is Fermara and Vit D3 and Calcium. Its weird that it would go up. The highest its ever been was 121... but that was only once. then all other times it was below 109...in the normal range.

• 6doggies
    6doggies Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2015

ThinkingPositive, did you happen to eat before being tested? My glucose showed a little high and I asked the Oncology Nurse, she asked me if I had eaten before coming and I had (oatmeal and blueberries) she said that would make it higher than if I hadn't.

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2015

I never did chemo just radiation so not sure why my WBC is down, it's been pretty steady over the years.

• thinkingpositive
    edited April 2015

6doggies..yes I probably did eat breakfast that morning...but I am sure I did eat all the other mornings when they tested me as well. I have a call into the MO but they haven't called me back yet. Hoping its nothing and I won't have another thing to worry about.

• U4iachic
    U4iachic Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2015

hello ladies, my bone scan came back clear! Good news! Of course now I'm thinking the pain must be ovarian cancer! I think I'm a hypochondriac now! I start rads on 5/5/15. I'm 3 weeks out of chemo. Today I felt a bit yucky! I was feeling pretty good for several days. I guess the side effects are going to take a while! I just keep reminding myself what my Onco said "the chance of a new cancer growing or spreading during chemo is slim to none". Did any of you have your ovaries removed? Thanks ladies

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

You are going to feel various stages of 'creepy' for quite awhile. Although I felt better and better as time went along, I'd say it took me about two YEARS after 'active treatment' before I felt totally back to normal.

• runningcello
    runningcello Member Posts: 101
    edited April 2015

i cannot wait to come to a happy normal. i can't feel anything on my body without thinking its cancer

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

U4iachic - so glad to hear the scan was clear. Thanks for letting us know!

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited April 2015

I'd like to share that mjgumbas and myself are celebrating today and tomorrow. It's been two years today since my BMX, and hers tomorrow April 25th. It is so nice to have a surgery-sister to celebrate with! We found each other on this forum. If anyone needs a sister, I am here!

Although 2 years ago I told myself I would have a big party for all important events in my life, I have gone back to my old self and not too inclined to throwing big parties. But I am still celebrating as a family today, going back to the same restaurant we went a year ago today. And as you can see, I am announcing it to the world because, although I don't want a party, I do enjoy the hugs and congratulations - virtual or any kind :-)

I am deeply THANKFUL for this forum, to the people who provide this healing space, and to each of you for your love and support in the past 2 years - especially You dear Ruth!

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239
    edited April 2015

Congrats, NisaVilla! 

Great to hear you're doing so well. I second you about the parties!

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

NisaVilla, congratulations to both of you! Thank you for inviting us to celebrate for, and with, you.