Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited April 2015

LOL! Great joke, Nisa! ThumbsUp

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited April 2015

U4--I had a lot of bone pain on taxol (are you on that?). The pain was so bad they prescribed some pretty strong pain medication that I took for awhile after each taxol. (AC was worse for me though because they never could find an anti-nausea med that controlled the nausea.). Like some else just said, these chemos are tremendously strong with all kinds of side effects for a significant period of time.

Hang in there and keep posting!

Hugs,

Peggy

• U4iachic
    U4iachic Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2015
    Peggy I take or took my last dose of Taxotere and Cyclophosphimide. Is that the same as Taxol? Thank you for taking the time to answer! I really appreciate it.
    Michelle
  • NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited April 2015
    U4 & Mommado - how are you both doing? I hope your recovery is moving in the right direction.

Today I'm a little freaked out with my 4-month old implants. Current ones are smaller and brought much relief from a "tight rubber band around the chest" feeling I had with my first set. I also thought these looked good - until yesterday, when I made the mistake of taking a picture of my chest in a bathing suit. My former opinion clearly reflected the fact that I had not been paying attention to my chest! And after that first picture, I obsessively took others from every angle. Turns out one implant is a bit less than one inch higher than the other. So just when I thought I had one surgery (nip repair) left, I am now thinking I will need two. What to do?! I'm scheduled for late May. I know PS will want to do more work but I'm tired of surgeries. Do I live with this or go for the extra step? Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions. Hugs, Nisa
  • specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited April 2015

U4 - Taxotere is a cousin of Taxol - both drugs are taxanes, but it is a more intense drug with bone pain as a definite side effect.  Most people take about six weeks PFC (post final chemo) to feel relief from the major side effects, you should hopefully see a real difference at that point. Have you tried Aleve?  Some get good relief from it. 

nisa - you always have to weigh whether you can live with an imperfection versus the risk of more surgery, and whether the surgical fix will improve things.  I had the same situation with one side lower than the other due to perforations in my dermal matrix two years after my original exchange - my PS replaced my allograft slings in what should have been a routine repair but things went very wrong and even with three subsequent surgeries, and I am now without an implant on the left due to skin issues - since last May.  Neither my PS or I saw this coming and had I known this would happen I would have lived with the unevenness.  It is important to note that others don't see the things we do - we are far more critical of our reconstructions than others will be - and natural breasts are often uneven too.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited April 2015

Would anyone else notice, or is it just you? And, can it be covered up with a different style swimsuit? I had a lumpectomy. My breasts are definitely two different sizes, but no one else would notice because I look fine in a bra & have found swimsuits/PJs etc. that mask the difference. I am totally happy because I hate doctors & I hate surgeries.....plus, I don't think I'm going to get a call to be a swimsuit model for Sports Illustrated either way Loopy.

• bc101
    edited April 2015

Nisa, maybe it would an easy fix with a lift? I had that done during my exchange to my non cancer breast due to some sagging. It seemed to help.

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited April 2015

Nisa - sorry to hear this.... what has been seen cannot be unseen.  My BC side dropped a visible 2 inches about 6 months after surgery.  I did have the sling corrected.  It wasn't as bad as I expected, but having the incision re-opened on that side was overwhelming.  The skin was pretty thin after my BMX with immediate implants and I was really concerned going over the incision again and the risk of infection, but everything turned out ok.  They are not perfect still, it is a little lower and the right one is smaller than the left - but my natural ones didn't match either.  I say it is what it is - and yes, we are our own biggest critics and can see things others can't.

I hope you are able to make your own decision.  Sending you (((( BIG HUGS ))))

• U4iachic
    edited April 2015

Hey ladies! My port comes out tomorrow. Still back pains but I did find out that I have Spondylosis and sleeping in The recliner for the last 5 months probably is what aggravated it. That and being more idle than usual due to surgeries and chemo. My RO actually sent me for an immediate spinal xray today. I freaked out and threw up every where. First test since diagnosis. I didn't expect my body to act like that!

Nissa, I'm still in expanders so I'm not sure what you are experiencing. I do have those sling things but I'm just waiting for silicone. I do want the nipple surgery but not sure if I want to keep having surgeries to get there.

Love to you all

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited April 2015

U4 - so glad you could get a quick xray, but so sorry it freaked you out!  Hoping the answer it provided has eased your fears.

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2015

U4 - Port-out! Port-out! I am raising my cup of hot chamomile tea to you! If you are like most of us, prep yourself for some more scares in the early months post treatment. Every pain that lasts more than 2 days (or 2 hours, according to a friend) can and will be interpreted as doomed news!

Thanks to EACH OF YOU for getting me through freaking-out mode. It is just so helpful to hear from people "on the ground." I did not even mention it at home. My husband and male offspring could not relate - not sure they noticed when I was bald, lol. But you Sisters, you know and you understand. I'm now feeling inclined to live with it. Last correction was truly necessary, there was too little space between my breasts and too much tension around my chest. But I can live with this imperfection. Not sure what an "easy lift" involves but would consider it if it can be done same day as nip-work. Like all of you, I don't want to see any more surgeons for a long-long time. I am going to make an appt with PS for April and then update you. Thanks again, hugs and be well.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

U4.....yea for the de-portment! That was a happy, happy day for me! And glad your back turned out to have an easy explanation. Yes, recliner sleeping would aggravate spine things.

Nisa, glad you are feeling better. We need you in top shape for barbecue making in June! Happy

• lcm123
    lcm123 Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2015

Good morning everyone. I've been reading your posts, and can relate. I will be having reconstruction surgery in May. I have a TE, on the right side, and will be glad to get that out. My left side is a little lower, and the PS will have to get out the stuff that wouldn't soften up on that side, so I wonder how they do that, and how they will make it even with the right side. Does anyone know how long after treatment fatigue lasts? From June 2013, until October 2014, my life has been chemo, surgery,radiation, then more herceptin. I also have hypothyrodism, which a few months ago got severe, in the doctor's words, so he increased my dosage. Now that treatment is over, and it's been a few months, people seem to think I am done and ready for anything. How to tell them that I do still get tired a lot, and I am not up for lots of company yet, and give me some time to feel better, even if I look "normal". These are not family members.

I don't know how to fill in all the information, but I had DCIS in 2012, mastectomy for that, with tram flap reconstruction. Stage II in May 2013, mastectomy for that with whatever that other flap surgery is called, with a temporary expander, which we will trade for a small implant, hopefully next month.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

I don't think you can even begin to start to feel 'normal' until you get off the whole treatment/surgery cycle.....as long as they are still doing 'stuff' to you, how can one really heal physically or emotionally?

• U4iachic
    edited April 2015

Ruth, I completely agree! I just hope to get off this ride soon. I must work in having a better attitude

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2015

Wishing everyone a nice weekend and sending sunshine from San Diego, CA. Yes Ruth, the one that needs to be in good shape is hubby. I'm totally relaying on him!

Another friend is back in the figth. I spent hours on the phone today with a friend whose cancer decided to go into multiple organs. I have now 3 dear friends doing chemo, and recently lost a male friend father of five, I am angry, really angry at cancer today.

Hugs, Nisa

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited April 2015

Oh Nisa... I'm so sorry. This #%&:0 capital C! It does make us angry!!! I just said the other day - we are too young to be dealing with the realities of cancer... Sendin you a tight squeeze hug - I hate how many people this hurts xox

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

Nisa, I am sorry and I am in a sad mood too. In my small town, two weeks ago Thursday an 8 year old boy died in his sleep, and the next day my young dentist's 32 year old husband choked on a piece of meat and DIED, leaving her with two toddlers......none of it makes any sense to me......and reminds me to appreciate THIS day, because there definitely are no guarantees. Hugs to everybody!

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2015

Ruth - that sounds like a small community nightmare. I am so sorry. How do people get over that? You are SO right about appreciating THIS moment as there are no guarantees. I'm sending you a big hug, and my wish that the community finds a way to help these families and heal together.

MJ - thanks my friend. I too would have expected these events in a couple couple of decades from now. And when cancer happens to people who have been so respectful of their bodies all their lives, it is a reminder of the randomness of this awful illness. Hugs back

Hope everyone is enjoying today and extra hugs to those in active treatment.

Nisa

• ruthbru
    edited April 2015

Thanks, Nisa. That is one good thing about living in a small town, there's lots of support. One thing that is pretty neat is that dentists from across the state have volunteered to fill in for my dentist for the next month, and she has lots of family in the area, which will help in both the short and long run. We can all just help out as we can and be grateful for times when we only have 'normal' problems.

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited April 2015
    Ruth, so very sorry to hear of these tragedies. My thoughts are with all concerned.
  • U4iachic
    edited April 2015

Hello Ladies, My oncologist is sending me for a bone scan. He thinks I need the re-assurance. I'm scared, but he really thinks that the taxotere is the culprit for my joint/muscle issues. He also said something about having increased my taxotere during my last 2 infusions?????? What does that mean any ideas? He let me know he was on vacation the next 2 days so I may want to wait until Monday to get it done so I don't worry about it too much. So Monday at 4:30 was the earliest any way. So I'm freaked out, but it is something I need to know. It's also something he let me decide to get. He really wasn't recommending it. Anyone else have a bone scan? Oh and my arthritis showed up in my cervical spine, not where I'm having the pain. Although I do still have scoliosis.

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

U4iachic, I'm sorry you're having such a rough patch. All the uncertainty really takes a toll, doesn't it?

I had a bone scan when first dx. as I had an involved node. The scan wasn't uncomfortable and it wasn't too tedious. It's better than an MRI. We had the results by the time I saw the surgeon again 2 or 3 days later. It didn't show anything of concern although there were a lot of areas that were commented on in the report due to joint degeneration, a healed fracture that still lights up, arthritis, etc. It can be rather eye-opening, actually.

I have heard that taxotere does cause muscle and bone pain so if your dosage has been increased, that could very well account for your current issues. It's great that your MO actually ordered the scan just for your peace of mind.

As for increasing the dosage of taxotere, I think that's another issue entirely - you're entitled to know when any changes are made to your regimen.

I know it's easy to say 'don't worry' and hard not to, but if you can dial down your concern a bit you'll probably find it easier to get through the wait. Good luck. I KNOW it's tough.

• bc101
    edited April 2015

I think it's great that docs do the scans to help reassure us, but it sucks to wait. I'm been waiting to have an MRI for about a week due to some abdominal pain. I haven't had a CT scan for several years, so I can't speak to that. Like you, I had some xrays done that showed arthritis in my spine. I'm really scared of getting xrayed and almost turned around and left once I got into the gown! Talk about scanxiety. And like you, I wondered why I don't feel any pain there. I DO have pain in my thigh that my NP wanted to xray, but I said no thanks. I already had two xrays that day. I worry about the exposure, but sometimes it just HAS to be done.

• U4iachic
    edited April 2015

hopeful, wonder how they now the difference between everything that lights up? thanks for responding. I appreciate the support. I'm sure I will be a mess for days

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

The pattern of how it lights up tells them a lot. For example, I have lots of diffuse, bright areas that the radiologist described as 'consistent with arthritic degeneration and previous fractures rather than metastatis' (or words to that effect). My surgeon said with metastasis it would be a more intense and concentrated effect - it just looks different. We did look more closely at one area that was causing a fair amount of pain and found it was lots of bony overgrowths, arthritis and healing from a fracture. I had no idea that area was still such a mess, so it was rather interesting, actually.

I understand about being a mess. A week from now at this time I'll be going to surgery - I'm not sure how I'm going to get through this week. We can be strung-out, wrung out basket cases together!

• U4iachic
    edited April 2015

I'm here for you! I'm not worth much, but let me know if you need anything! I would be happy to listen

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

Thank you, U4ia - I really appreciate that. And the same goes for you, of course.

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2015

U4 & Hopeful - I'm here for you too!

You both indeed have a lot going on right now. The LX is a big deal, physically and psychologically. I cannot remember why it is going to be done now and not last September. I wonder if the time between treatments makes it even more challenging. My only suggestion is to do as much physical exercise (some serious walking or whatever you can do) to prep your body for days of moving little and fragmente sleep. If you want a list of mindless movies and TV shows I watched after my surgery, let me know. U4 - my bone scan was quick and (unlike MRI) is an open reader. None of the crazy noise of the MRI. Took maybe 20 minutes max. I hope you find it ok. It will give you a lot of data. Maybe you could watch a you-tube video? Knowing what to expect sometimes makes procedures a bit easier.

Bc101 - Some places will give you a gentle medication to tolerate scans and MRIs. Another thing that worked for a claustrophobic friend who did not want Valium was bringing someone supportive into the room (they can make exceptions if you insist a little - but person will have to be "screened" for metals inside or outside.)

Ruth - thinking of you and your community. How are those 2 families doing?

Hugs to all, Nisa

• hopeful82014
    edited April 2015

Thanks for your support and understanding, Nisa - Some suggestions of mindless movies would be great! I am really not looking forward to having to take it easy, much less having to dial back my workouts. (I am pretty hardcore in terms of consistency and goals and proud of the fact that I can do 40 'real' pushups non-stop.) I am afraid I may die of boredom and antsyness.

I'm on a trial protocol of 6 mo. neoadjuvant Femara due to my malignant node. The hope is that it will have cleared - and going by the US it looks as though there's a good chance of that. If that's the case I'll only have SNB and no chemo. Otherwise, axillary clearance with reverse mapping and a "discussion" about chemo. There's a LOT riding on that frozen section! That's part of the stress. Plus I've never had general anesthesia. Plus I'm still fighting with my insurer about a treatment issue... And it's gotten very busy at work, of course!

And yes, the long lead time up to surgery has been challenging but if that node is clear it will ALL have been worth it. Even if it isn't, we have a very good idea of how I'm responding to Femara, so that's very, very helpful. Still, I wish I could blink and have it all over with. Better yet, blink and none of this ever happened.