Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468
    edited July 2015

GG, I didn't have mine done in the office. I moved to another state so I needed to find someone else to remove it. They made me do it at the hospital in an OR. The only sedation I had was an injection around the port area. I didn't get anything to knock me out. They said I would have to stay longer if I did. I'll admit it was weird being completely awake while they tugged it out but I wanted it done and over with so I could go home.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,588
    edited July 2015

Light sedation should be fine. It is a quick, uncomplicated procedure. I can only very vaguely remember some tugging, but no pain or discomfort.

• vogliodipiu
    vogliodipiu Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2015

i hope it's not too late to join…i have stage 2 breast cancer too, i have been on chemo since march and finally made it on to this site and board, really struggling at the moment. i just feel so alone, i miss my hair and nails are about to pop off from chemo, i have no boyfriend or husband to help me thru this and all my family is overseas. i am trying to make it thru these last few weeks of chemo and brace myself for my surgery but it just all seems so overwhelming and i can't imagine getting back to the real world in a couple of months. i just turned 40 and i am single and have no children and after all this chemo probably never will and i just imagined this all so differently, i am trying to stay strong because it is really the only option i have but it is just so hard to deal with everything from insurance to hating your port every time you see it, you know?

it must be so much easier do deal with all this when you have a partner, i envy all of you you don't have to go thru this alone!

• ruthbru
    edited July 2015

I am glad you found us. It is never too late to join (although we wish nobody else had to!). Hang in there. This is a period of your life that you just GET THROUGH. If you have friends from work, a church connection, friends from a social organization......ask for their help, most people would be glad to do something, they just don't know what to do. Also, your clinic should have a social worker who could put you in touch with help. Once this part is over, you can really use it to evaluate where you want your life to go next. Get out of things that aren't full filling, do some of things that you've been putting off. It really can be a wake up call and you can MAKE good things come out of it.......but just get through this part first. Sending a hug!

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2015

Hi all

So weird thing - I woke up this morning around 4am in a cold wet sweat and horrible stomach pain in the middle of my ribs and I felt like I was going to pass out.  I got up twice and went into the bathroom.  the second time I came back and lied down it started to stop and then boom it was gone as fast as it came on.  Should I be concerned?  My doctor has been keeping an eye on my blood pressure and I had the ovarian removal surgery June 19th.

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited July 2015

Vogliodipiu - Welcome. You have come to the right place. Here are few suggestions: Join threads on active treatment, port issues, and any topics of your interest where you will find people who will have information and support. This forum is amazing and offers many options. I wrote in frequently 2 years ago when I was starting my chemo and found a lot of support. Assuming you live in the US, most cancer centers will have free services that can include support groups, individual support, yoga, meditation, acupuncture and various other services. In CA, you can access these free services even if you do not receive your treatment there. I think the worst par

• NisaVilla
    edited July 2015

Vogliodipiu - sorry about fragmented message. I think the worst part is behind you. Losing my hair and nails was traumatic for me. Nails are back andmy head now looks like a plate of spaghettis. Hate and love my chemo curls! Let us know how you are doing. We are here for you.

Mommado - give your doc a call. You had surgery recently. It will be great to hear feedback and reassurance.

Hugs to all, Nisa

• mommado
    edited July 2015

Vogliodipiu so happy you found us and have joined us (sorry for the circumstances that bring you here)  This group is amazing and you will have so much love and support that you will feel like they are all right there with you by your side.  I did not do chemo so I can't relate to the issues you are having with that, but I can tell you sometimes even having people around you isn't as helpful as having this board. So welcome sister...

Nisa - Contacted my doctor yesterday and he's been following me for High Blood pressure so he wants me to be evaluated today and said if it happens again to go straight to the ER.  I expected to hear, oh it's better, call if it happens again!  So off to the doctors I head yet again today!

• mommado
    edited July 2015

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/south-carolina-mom-losing-hair-chemo-daughter-give/story?id=32304882

You have to check out this story!!  Love this women!  Love what she did the first time with the beaded braids and then cutting them off and giving them to family to pray. 

• NisaVilla
    edited July 2015
    Mommado - lovely story. Thank you, made wish I had done something fun with my hair. High blood pressure is a scary thing. Hope doc finds it where it should fe today. Hugs
  • bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited July 2015
    Hi vogliodipiu - what a fun name! Welcome stage 2 sista!

This site is a wonderful source of support with lots of wise, witty and wonderful women who have been there, done that, or who are going through it. I also recommend finding a local support breast cancer support group if you can. Some are more active than others.

One organization I recently found offers wonderful classes for cancer survivors. I don't know what area you live in, but goggle Gilda's Club. Some states have renamed the original club the Cancer Support Community. The one near me is has awesome classes and support groups, but it's a little far for me to drive.

In the beginning my cancer clinic hooked me up with a mentor who called every so often. Many cancer clinics offer some kind of volunteer mentor support. Every little bit helps. It took me awhile, but I found a great psychologist who helps a lot. But mostly it's just coming here to the various threads. I wish I had sought it out sooner - it would have saved me a lot of grief.

It's hard to go it alone, but believe it or not, many men just "don't get it." Judging from experience and comments from other survivors, it seems men don't handle stress very well. Some men act like total jerks and some even leave, but I'm sure there are lots, too, who are very loving and supportive. My friends made themselves scarce after my diagnosis, so I feel like I went it alone even though there were people around me who should have or could have been more supportive.

Be nice to yourself and take care of you!

• placid44
    placid44 Member Posts: 179
    edited July 2015

V - I was diagnosed at 44, single, no kids. It was hard, but my sister helped me (she is local) and my church was a huge help. A good friend came from NYC a couple of times.

My period did not come back after chemo, but I am a bit older than you. It will be three years in August since I was diagnosed.

It gets a lot better. Different from before, but much better than during treatment.

I hope you have some friends or community groups or support groups that could help you. And use services like cleaning for a reason, grocery delivery, etc

• mommado
    edited July 2015

So I saw a PA in my doctors office for my "episode"  She thinks it was acid reflux and told me to switch from Zantac to Prilosec.  She also did a EKG and blood work.  EKG was normal, they haven't contact me on the blood work but my Patient Gateway had the results and everything looked normal but my Ferritin level was 336 and the high range was 200. Anyone know anything about Ferritin levels - my understanding is its iron level and can relate to cancer but I don't know if it's before or after remission or life long

• GG2
    GG2 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2015

Vogliodipiu, unfortunately it's never too late to join, but everybody here is helpful and supportive. I had no husband or bf during treatment, but lots of family and girlfriends. I never felt alone. I hope you can reach out to the women in your corner. And Facetime can be a real blessing when folks are geographically apart. Hang in there!

• GG2
    GG2 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2015

Thanks to ruthbru and mommato. I've decided to be brave and just get it done in the office. Couldn't possibly be the biopsies two years ago.

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662
    edited July 2015

GG2 - I felt the same way you did - I wanted to be knocked out but the doctor refused. A nurse practitioner actually removed it. Someone on this site recommended that I ask for a cherry flavored woozy medicine to be administered beforehand. I felt so good, they could have cut my arm off and I would have still been happy. I can't remember the name of the stuff. Suffice it to say, the procedure was not bad at all.

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662
    edited July 2015

Love your post Ruthbru - Now I won't feel bad about asking for a jury duty excuse when I see my cardiologist on Wednesday. You are right, I don't feel like running all over downtown Houston trying to find the court house due to shortness of breath, so why should I.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2015

This is absolutely the time to put yourself first!!!!

• lauragirl
    lauragirl Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2015

Hi everyone. How are all of you doing? I recently found out I had breast cancer about a month ago. Im 25 years old healthy girl no smoking no drinking and eat healthily as well. It came as a big shock for my family to have it so young. I was diagnosed with stage 2 IDC and 2cm tumor.

My mother passed away 2 years back from breast cancer which had spread. Dealing with her loss was so painful. We have already done the gene test and it came back negative. Looks like for some reason my body decided to start producing extra hormones. Its been a tough struggle so far emotionally and coping with hair loss was really sad too. I guess I just need to be able to communicate with others who understand what I'm going through.

Im undergoing chemo treatments once every 3 weeks and even though that I still live in fear everyday of future recurrence. I know i shouldn't think of that but the thought still comes sometimes.

i guess we just need to be strong and push through. I wish everyone here all the best in your treatments!

• mommado
    edited July 2015

Hi Lauragirl and welcome.  I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother especially at your young age.  I'm also sorry you have to join us but welcome you to our family - and that is just what this is a family.  We are all here for you and will support you through your journey and beyond.  You are right all we can do is be strong and push through - when you can't be strong come here and we will take get you back on track.   We all live with the fear of reoccurrance -its a tough one to try and get past so I have just learned to put it in it's place and continue on :)  {{Hugs}}

• lauragirl
    edited July 2015

thank you mommado for the kind words! good to know I can turn here for support!

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited July 2015

Lauragirl, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it hits at that age. I'm sure that makes your experience with bc even harder to deal with as well.

You mentioned that you had "the gene test" but I wonder if they did the expanded panel or just the BRCA testing? There are other familial genetic issues relating to bc that some genetic counselors don't test for. For example, my surgeon had to really push my counselor to approve the expanded panel but that was where we hit the jack pot. Much of the information is so new that genetic counselors aren't using it yet.

At any rate, I am sorry you're here but hope we can help you make it through to the other side.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2015

Hi Laura, I am sorry you have found yourself in this club, but glad you found this site. It is very helpful for practical advice, and emotional support from people who really do 'get it'. As well as this thread, you may want to join a chemo thread of people doing chemo right now and/or some other threads for young women, or people who have similar interests, or whatever. You are in a hard part of the whole experience, and it is no doubt even harder because of your mom. Hang in there. You really truly can come out of it and be okay....but it does time to pass to believe it!

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239
    edited July 2015

Welcome, LauraGirl -

There are so many forums and threads on this site...it has helped me tremendously. Unfortunately, I see so many young women here, like yourself, but you will find them to be a tremendous support system for you. (Us older gals, too.)

Take it one day at a time...it will get easier.

• U4iachic
    U4iachic Member Posts: 50
    edited July 2015

welcome!!!! I'm sorry you're here but hope you find it helpful! I'm one month out of rads and understand your recurrence fear. It eats at me daily. I'm doing my best to figure out how to move on...... Most days are a do over!

• lauragirl
    edited July 2015

Hi hopeful821, we did only the BRCA testing 1 and 2 both came out negative but they didn't push to do any other gene tests!

Thank you hopeful821 ruthbru, jilly59 and U4iachic for all the kind words and support!

• NisaVilla
    edited July 2015
    Welcome to those just starting this journey. Wishing you strength. We are here for you. Hugs, Nisa
  • PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited July 2015

Last year, I had to cancel our family vacation to see my Dad and brothers in North Carolina. I'm so grateful that, after all of this cancer treatment, I just booked our flights to go see them in August. I'm not 100% (due to the torn meniscus in my knee, not BC) but we are going. Some days are extremely challenging. Yesterday I hurt so much I could barely get out of bed and today I feel great. I never know how I am going to feel, but the good days are coming more frequently.

One of the first things my BS told me when I was diagnosed was "give yourself a year for treatment and recovery". Already having this timeline in mind really helped me cope. A year, I could do that!

Any North Carolina/Virginia sites I should see? We will have our boys with us (17, 16 and 12 yrs old).

• Nomatterwhat
    Nomatterwhat Member Posts: 210
    edited July 2015

Poppy, I am glad you asked. My husband and I are going to Richmond/Virginia Beach area mid-September. I am going to be interested in what the ladies recommend to you and you can report back to me when you get home on what you did. Although, I am still not sure how I am going to get the prostheses through security. I may have to put them in my carry on bag and put them on when I get through on the other side. This should be interesting!!!!

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited July 2015

Nomatterwhat, You should have better weather/less humidity in September! I have to go when my boys are out of school. I hadn't thought about tsa screening. Here's a link to their website: https://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/passengers-prosthetics

I highly recommend going to Monticello. It's not far from Richmond and is wonderful!