Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2015

u4 -  Happy dancing for Fat!!!!!!  Such awesome news - been thinking about you.

I love that you were all able to get together and the photo is great!!!!  Any New England folks want to try and do something here?  I'd so love to meet you guys in person.

I'm doing good - surgery is scheduled for Friday to remove my right ovary and tube, is it sad I'm looking forward to it?  Between my hip bursitis from the tamoxifen and my back pain from the pinched nerve and disc issue I'm excited to have one of my pains removed!!  Will hopefully be having back surgery in the fall or winter to take care of that once and for all - that's if the cancer stuff will knock it off for long enough for me to get it done!

Anyone have any problems with Effexor?  I hate the stuff and forgot to take it yesterday so I'm dealing with all the wonderful withdrawls.  Anyone know how to get off the stuff?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2015

Such a great pic - so glad you all could get together and commune in such a great spot!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,589
    edited June 2015

Mommado, I think there are some New England get together threads, do a search. It is definitely a super fun thing to do!

• shelleym1
    shelleym1 Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2015

Ruth, I am about 45 east of Raleigh in Rocky mount.

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited June 2015

Great picture, Ruth! Looking forward to meeting up on Wednesday!

Mommado, Wow, you feel withdrawl effects after missing one dose. I've missed a dose a few times with no noticeable effects. Usually you taper off when eliminating Effexor, Zoloft and similar drugs. Take a half dose every other day, with a full dose the other days for one week. Then the half dose for a week. Then the half dose every other day for a week. You probably should contact your doctor or pharmacist and see what they recommend.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2015

Shelley, my sister lives in Raleigh and Wonderland, who posts on the Let's Post Our Daily Exercise thread, is from Lexington.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2015

Nisa and her friend brought us a wonderful meal. It was a great evening with lots of laughing and eating!

Back row: 2ndtimearound, patoo, Ann, hbcheryl, badger

Front row: sweetandspecial, Nisa's local friend, Nisa, me

imageimage

• 6doggies
    6doggies Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2015

Hi Ladies,

That is awesome that you get together and have such a great time, you all look so happy!! :)

I do however have a question,  I met with my radiologist today, he told me that with me being under 50, having an oncotype of 32 and having 2 positive lymph nodes that I have a high chance of reoccurrence, but with everything that I'm doing, surgery, chemo, radiation, etc that I shouldn't worry about it, that I'm going to be fine. How can I not worry about it after he said all that!!  He also said that he believes in being honest and not to sugar coat anything, that way I know where I stand.  I really don't care for him, not because of what he said, but the way he said it.  My BF was annoyed with him too, should I look into changing Doctor's or just suck it up because I won't be seeing him that much, thank God! 

• Sabel
    Sabel Member Posts: 28
    edited June 2015

6doggies, I wouldn't advise changing doctors just yet. Find out exactly what's going on, and then decide whether you want a second opinion.

My oncologist was extremely blunt too, but he realized that I was not going to 'curl up and die' no matter how bad the news. I'm a survivor. I'm not boasting, I'm just telling the truth.

He gave me two years to live and in July I will be three years out without a recurrence.

Don't give in to 'watchful waiting'. Enjoy every day no matter what the scans say. You're in charge of your body.

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    edited June 2015

Sabel, If I may ask...what made him give you only two years to live?

• Guera_NM
    Guera_NM Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2021

Hi I am Yvonne Stage 2A...node negative. My score on the OncoTypeDX test was a 9. YaY!! I did not require radiation or chemo therapy. I started Tamoxifen and was on it only 13 months when taken off by my oncologist. Had a unilateral mastectomy on February 16th, 2015. Two weeks later fell ill with sepsis. 2nd surgery was to clean out my chest cavity and remove the drain tubes. Needed to then get dressing changes twice a day for almost 2 months. It formed scar tissue in the end and my surgeon gave me a third surgery to close it up. Wound completely healed. What a true blessing that my prognosis is excellent.

Almost 6 years cancer-free and I have learned to accept my body with a missing breast. I wear my prosthesis and you wouldn't know. Airport security picked up on it however. 😄 It's humbling looking in the mirror topless. It is what it is. Pray, Hope and Don't Worry as St. Pio would say. We are survivors and I love that. Thanks for your replies. You all rock!

~Yvonne~

• Guera_NM
    edited June 2015

Hello Ruth!

• Guera_NM
    edited June 2015

Best wishes always to you girl. Heart

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited June 2015
    Yvonne - Welcome to Stage II Sisters Club. I am sorry you have to be here but good news about your low Oncotype. You had a rough beginning, I hope you continue to heal. Your mood all over makes sense. No one here is stranger to moods. I had phantom pain and uncontrollable itch that did not respond to scratching but responded sometimes to aloe vera. The itch went away the same way it came - inexplicably. The breast pain occasionally shows up. Knowing that it goes away helps. This thread gets active and then gets quite but you will always find someone ready to offer support. We are here for you.

6doggies - I too had "that kind of radiologist" and she was wrong in her prognosis. At first I was shaken by the news and the delivery but held on to more appealing predictions. If Inwere you, I probably wouldn't change the radiologist because you are likely going to have little contact and he won't be impacting your future treatment. Good luck!
  • ruthbru
    edited June 2015

Hi Yvonne, yikes you've been through the wringer. Give your body to adjust to the tamoxifen, and give yourself some time to adjust to the whole emotional part of the experience too. It is hard. 6dogs, unless the radiologist seems incompetent, I'd let it go. You won't be seeing a lot of him anyway. Just get it over with.

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2015

Hi Yvonne-I was onco 16 - but no chemo here either!!  I hear you on the Tamoxifen - I HATE it.  Hotflashes, leg cramps and all.  I got myself one of those runners cool towels that you wet and it stays cold - I use that at night when it gets really bad, I wet it and lay it over my legs - it doesn't get dripping wet so it's perfect.  Leg cramps I drink Tonic Water for - I'm actually in the middle of a pretty bad bought of them but the Tonic Water works great - it has quinine in it.

Welcome to our little world - the girls here are amazing!

Nisa - How are you doing?  Have you made your trip to your brother yet?  He and you have been in my thoughts and prayers.

I go in tomorrow for my ovary removal at 1pm.  Hoping it will be a quick in and out (no pun intended!)

• SweetHope
    SweetHope Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2015

Mommado, Thanks for the tip about Tonic Water for leg cramps. I love what I learn from these posts!

• Alibeths
    Alibeths Member Posts: 167
    edited June 2015

HAD TO SHARE THIS SHIRT I GOT!

http://www.teespring.com/survivor-shirt

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2015
    Mommado - thank you for thoughts and prayers. No traveling yet. I'm ready but brother does not wish to see anyone, sleeps all day, only goes out for daily radiation. I must respect his wishes. Been there, done that during my chemo. Goodbye ovaries, welcome peace of mind! Good luck and let us know how it went.

About tonic water, I read it is not always helpful. Ask your doc before drinking up. Be sure you are not at risk for any of these conditions. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/771699.

Alibeths - cool shirt. Have fun with it!

Nisa
  • farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239
    edited June 2015

Hi Yvonne - Congrats on that awesome Oncotype! I was borderline at 19 and chose no chemo.

I just wanted to let you know there is a picture forum that I found to be extremely helpful. I would avoid posting pics here because certain google searches put you right here in these threads - no password required! Yikes. You can PM the Moderators and request access.

You're healing well!

• farmerjo
    edited June 2015

Great pic, Ruth! Can you put 'names' to faces for me?

Thanks!

• Sabel
    edited June 2015

6doggies..My poor prognosis was due to my Type 3 (aggressive and invasive cancer) and the Triple Negative hormone grading.

During that visit, I had no idea what 'triple negative' meant so he wrote it on a sheet of paper for me (3 TN). I still had no clue and I think I blocked his voice after that. During a pause in his' rant', I told my husband that I was ready to leave and I left. It was a much friendlier Onc.(same man) who I saw the following January and twice more since then.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2015

I will put name to faces when I get home, too hard to type on my phone!

• U4iachic
    U4iachic Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2015

What a great picture. I just wish I could've been close enough to join!

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    edited June 2015

Sabel, what did they tell you about type 3, is that the same as grade 3? And was were they telling you about poor prognosis?

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2015
    Mommado - thinking of you as you are entering surgery in a moment. We are in your pocket rooting for you! Hugs, Nisa
  • Sabel
    edited June 2015

ThinkingPositive

I'm sorry that I didn't acknowledge you in my reply to 6doggies.

(((((TP)))))) hugs for you.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2015

Thinking of you, mommado.

I am home now so will edit my June 17th post to add the names to the pictures. Scroll back up if you want to put some names & faces together. Smile

• farmerjo
    edited June 2015

Thanks, Ruth!

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    edited June 2015

I am after some advice please. I am 47 and 3 years out. I have a lot of nerve pain, neck and shoulder issues from aux clearance as well as Al nerve and joint pain and brain fog. How do you ladies explain to 'friends' that expect too much from you because you look fine? I don't want to come across as self pitying but find I am overdoing it then falling in a heap. Thanks x