Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• U4iachic
    U4iachic Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2015

thank you all for answering. I'm home alone tonight and I just keep crying with the fear. It's away from my incision back towards the chest wall. I just keep thinking when they did the Masectomythey missed something. I just finished chemotherapy six weeks ago and I can't even think about doing it again. I'm sorry to vent I just really needed someone to talk to. Thank you ladies!

• shelleym1
    shelleym1 Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2015

I think it would be really rare for your cancer to recur this quickly especially if you just finished chemo and are in the middle of rads.

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    edited May 2015

I would tend to agree with shelleym1. I also know the fear that you are having as I have that fear everyday. I am not sure that will every go away for me. hoping that tests show its nothing to be concerned about.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,589
    edited May 2015

U4, it wouldn't make sense for it to be back when you are still doing treatment. It is almost certainly something else. Try to relax over the weekend (and distract yourself in whatever way works best for you) until you can see your doctors. Let us know what you find out. Hugs!

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited May 2015

Mommado and U4 - I am sorry for the fear and suffering going on with you both right now. I'm adding myself to the group. I am in shock after learning that my only brother was at work (he is a very health conscious person, almost pain in the butt conscious), got a debilitating headache, his colleagues ran tests and the following day he was having emergency neurosurgery for what was a grade 4 gioblastoma/malignant brain tumor with an awful prognosis. Just like that. No warnings. I come here with this because when it comes to cancer suffering, this is home. I just so hate cancer! Hugs, Nisa

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2015

nisa - that had to be a shock - holding your hand and hoping for the best.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2015

Oh Nisa, that is horrible! Does he live near you? The thing I've told friends who have gotten terrible a prognosis is that YOU are not a statistic. If only 5% (or whatever) of the people with that diagnosis make it.....YOU could be one of them just as well as anyone else! I have several friends who pretty much given death sentences but are still alive and kicking years later. Sending hugs as you support him the best that you can.

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2015

nisa I'm sosorry.  i look at a prognosis as a guideline    i am ready for the worse but focus on the best and know soneone has to be that 1 2 or 5% so why not us? we need to stay positive no matter how hard      your brother is in my prayers that he is that small percent     cancer sucks hard!!!!!

• U4iachic
    edited May 2015

I'm so sorry, Nissa.......your family is in my prayers

• SweetHope
    SweetHope Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2015

Sending my best wishes and big hugs to Nisa, U4iachic and Mommado.

Please excuse me for changing the subject, but Ruthbru, your new photo is darling. You look like you are twenty years old. But with all your wisdom, I'm sure you are probably thirty!

• ruthbru
    edited May 2015

Well you have made my day, Sweet!!! Double the thirty & add 2 more years and you will be spot on.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2015

I am posting the tips below because I think they might be useful.  They are from an article in the June 1 issue of Time Magazine. It is an excellent piece about the traits of resilient people. I had posted these tips on the exercise thread, because scientists are finding that exercise and meditation not only help you manage stress better emotionally but actually physically rewires your brain's response to stress. Very interesting, and these good points to ponder:

Expert Tips For Resilience

1. Develop a core set of beliefs that nothing can shake

2. Try to find meaning in whatever stressful or traumatic thing that has happened

3. Try to maintain a positive outlook

4. Take cues from someone who is especially resilient

5. Don't run from things that scare you: face them

6. Be quick to reach out for support when things go haywire

7. Learn new things as often as you can

8. Find an exercise regimen you'll stick to

9. Don't beat yourself up or dwell in the past

10. Recognize what makes you uniquely strong-and own it

• mommado
    edited June 2015

Ugh --- losing my mind this morning and wishing I stayed home.  I'm so anxious to talk to my onco and see what she thinks about the renal and ovarian lesions found during my MRI for my back. I can handle the ovary stuff but the renal lesion has thrown me for a loop.  Report said 2 renal lesions measure 9 mm and 7mm not fully characterized but statistically most likely represent cyst

Pelvic cystic lesions measure up to 3.3cm. One appears mildly complex with septation and fluid/fluid level

Anyone ever have these types of lesions?  Did they turn out to be anything?  I'm at the point were I just want to know now - it's making me nuts.

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited June 2015

Nisa - huge tight hugs to you!!!  That is so scary... you were all here to hold my hand when my dear friend was diagnosed with Stage IV Glioblastoma last July.... she is doing very well, just recently a slight set back - but has the best attitude to BEAT the statistics.

I hope you can be with your brother, to absorb with him, all the "what's nexts" and support him with whatever he may need.... you and your family are in my prayers. (((((HUGS))))))

• light1
    light1 Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2015

Mammado, U4 and Nisa, my prayers and hugs to you guys and everyone going through difficult situation right now. This journey is full of lot of surprises and unexpected twist, especially when you think it's all over, only to realize you have just started, with regards to the symptoms of medication, the worst fear of recurrence, dealing with financial burden and the list goes s on and on. I just want to encourage us all to be strong and positive. thanks ruthbru for the tips,

• mommado
    edited June 2015

Heard from Onco and she's not concerned with the findings as an ultrasound I had in March for the ovarian cysts looked okay and she said the renal lesions are too small to worry about and are probably cysts.  She does want me to send her the films to review with a radiologist at her office to be sure.  I am having my right ovary removed on the 19th because of the pain it is causing so I feel better knowing it will be biopsyied and I'll know for sure....

• ruthbru
    edited June 2015

Sounds like you have a plan it place and that things are on the right track.

• shelleym1
    edited June 2015

glad to hear they aren't alarmed

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2015

Hi dear Everyone. Thank you for your words of support, it means a lot to me. It's been a busy time and am in the middle of planning a trip to the East Coast to visit my brother. He is angry at their super healthy lifestyle. I think we all live under the illusion that we can control more than we can. Sorry I have neglected BC email this week, in part because my notifications were off (again). I am sending a hug to everyone, and am glad things are looking a lot less scary for you Mommado. Nisa

• sydney2013
    sydney2013 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2015

U4iachic,

Everyone is different, but I did have something similar. I had double mastectomy with DIEP reconstruction. Not long after, I could see and feel a hard lump next to my arm pit and of course I freaked, thats what we do. My plastic surgeon checked it, he told me he thought it was fat. I had a surgery coming up, they did a biopsy and sent it to pathology and it was just fat. Approximately a year later, I felt like it had grown and was causing tightening in my arm. This time the breast surgeon did the biopsy and again it was just fat. I don't know if this helps, I hate that you are going through it, but I will hope and pray for you.

• mommado
    edited June 2015

Nisa --- your brother has been in my prayers, so glad you are making the trip to see him.  Sending you love and good thougths for a safe trip.

• U4iachic
    edited June 2015

THank you all for talking me through this. My breast surgeon did an ultrasound in office and confidently said it's either fat necrosis or scar tissue around my internal sutures. Since I'm at the end of rad she said we would take it out when I exchange my expanders. She did say it isn't the big C and to relax. I felt very re-assured. I appreciate everyones in put through this. It really helped!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2015

Yea for fat and/or scar tissues!!!!! You get a whole different perspective, don't you? I remember being THRILLED to find out that I had a hernia!

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2015

U4 - Great news! Finally a time when fat is welcomed. Thank you, dear fat.

Ruth -lol to hernias!

Mommado - you doing ok?

Hugs to all BC sisters

Nisa

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited June 2015

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on here much lately due to all the end of the school year activities with my kids. I'm thankful I'm finally feeling well enough to volunteer to help!

Sorry I haven't been here to offer my comments, but I include everyone here in my prayers. I used to not fear test results, but cancer changed this part of my life.

Mommado, I hope you are getting only good news as they work on the findings of your scan. You asked about cyst findings, so I'll tell you about mine. I failed my recent mammogram (the first one since my treatment was completed) and had to have an ultrasound. The ultrasound determined the finding is a septated cyst which appears benign.

U4, Strange how fat and scar tissue can be good news! I was praying the findings in my failed mammo were just scar tissue.

Nisa, I'm sorry about your brother. I'm sure it is a shock to everyone. Cancer absolutely stinks!

Ruth, Great tips! I am especially guilty of not reaching out when things go haywire AND of dwelling in the past.

I haven't been able to exercise much for about 18 months. I fell on stairs and injured my knees. After 6 months, the left knee still was causing pain, with very limited motion. The ortho was going to do surgery, but when I told him about my cancer diagnosis, he said to take care of that first. So, I'm still hobbling about. After all of these medical appointments to deal with cancer, I'm not looking forward to more appointments to deal with my knees.

Winking

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2015

This post is a super happy post. Long story short: Today our Ruth and a bunch of other great BC women from the "exercise thread" met in person at a San Diego restaurant. We were 12 women! And this time the hugs and laughter and sharing were not virtual but wonderfully tangible!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2015

So much fun! Here's picture proof! image

• shelleym1
    edited June 2015

that is so awesome!! I wish I were closer.

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited June 2015

What a great looking group!!!  So sorry I missed it!  Sad 

• ruthbru
    edited June 2015

shelley, what part of NC do you live in?