Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• Kiss77
    Kiss77 Member Posts: 91
    edited November 2014

Ronnie, congratulations! I'm so happy for you.

Woody, herceptin will do it's job. Keep us posted.

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited November 2014

Thank you Christina i hope so i meet with my MO tomorrow we will see. Xoxoxo

• NJoy
    NJoy Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2014

RonnieKay....wonderful news!!!!  My heart sings for you too!!!!

• NJoy
    NJoy Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2014

Dear Woodylb....happy news for you....so very good to hear!!... Xeloda is being nice to me so far...started Nov. 1st...3900 mg/day...2 on and 1 off. .  today was the end of week one....no SE to report..no stomach upset or headaches...sometimes about an  hour after a dose my feet feel tingly but it soon passes... I keep them pretty gooped up with utter cream during the day... thankfully I have a home office so I dont have to explain to anyone why Im always giving myself a foot message!  (except for the kids)...I know SEs are cumulative but trying hard not to create that for myself as you have kindly cautioned me against doing. ...blood work on Monday... feeling a bit calmer and more centered but I still have moments of very high anxiety... sometimes other people's reactions are a huge trigger for me... can't stand to see the fear in their eyes at times...Anyway I had a great weekend with friends and family... laughed so much today at my niece's bridal shower that my cheek muscle hurt!  (A good hurt tho) .... my boys are happy and laughing and I have read so many positive posts today too ...so my heart is full. ...and for that I am deeply greatful. .. blessings for a safe return trip home..... xoxo

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Nadine i am so happy you had a good time this weekend you should do this more often:))) i hope xeloda will work wonders for you but apply the lotion on your feet and hands without rubbing too much as you will irritate your skin eventually , also keep in mind that the SEs may be milder for you than others not all people get them at the same degree. It was good to see my son and enjoyable. I am back in Saudi now and today i see my doctor. I am hoping to start soon the xeloda and i am sure i will have a cardiogram before the herceptin is administered to me. I am sure God's willing i will hear good news from you after your third cycle. Keep you high spirit and you will be fine and frankly people as so ignorant about cancer that you really shoukd not let this effect you, for most of them it is a taboo they cannot even say the word cancer , so don't read too much into it. Take care my friend and keep me posted. Xoxox

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Hello ladies,

New update i will be starting after tomorrow a new regimen as my doctors decided to do the cleopatra trial herceptin + perjeta+ paclitaxel the chemo will be on a weekly basis for six months her2 meds every three weeks endlessly. They do not want to take the chance to keep me on xeloda and wait three months to see if this is working for him the results even though gave some stability in places there still is a progression in others he does not believe on the long run it will do better. I had a cardio ecography to make sure the heart is healthy. Wish me luck. Love and prayers to all

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited November 2014

Yes.,,Woody...prayers & good vibes all the way to Saudi Arabia!!!! Oh My...I was all ready to hear you'd started herceptin with the xeloda...now I'm readjusting my thinking & ready to envision you as Cleopatra :). Every time I see that study, I think of Eliabeth Taylor!!! One of the chemo nurses looks just like her & I'm mesmerized by her gorgeous eyes!!! It sounds like your onc is being super proactive and for that, we're grateful! I was actually logging on to wish you good luck...and tomorrow is today for you!!!!

Thanks for feeling my joy, Sisters! This is always a place I feel such comfort & comraderie...which gives me peace!

Njoy....I LOVE that you laughed so hard...w/family & friends! It's really those times that the fear of this disease is totally absent...priceless!!! I'm so happy you're not getting ses at this time (and as Woody says...you may be one that experiences very few!!! I was like that w/Navelbine...very mild ses. When I was on tch w/my first dx, I had very few ses...no nauseau...2 days of feeling wiped out, then felt normal. My onc was amazed and called me a poster child for chemo. I said my body likes hard drugs! (And I'm a child of the 60/70s who never touched an illegal substance!). Little did I know there were other "hard drugs" in my future. It's such a crapshoot, knowing which drugs will do what to who. And when I see udder cream...I smile!!!! My dad was a farmer & with cattle, udder cream was the everything cream at my house,

Penny...on your way home? Hope your Bistin visit was great. We're at our home in eastern washington...farm country, with our daughter's family. We raked leaves, cleaned the ditch (preparing for snow melt this spring), dug bulbs, had that good fun! Today is bowling in a "big town" (2000 people), 20 miles away. Hoping you all have a great day!!! XOXO

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited November 2014

Great combo, Woodylb! Looking forward to hearing great news :-)

- Penny

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

hehehehehe Ronnie you have such an impact when you write , you are funny and witty . I am sure your good vibes and prayers will stick near me all the way through this treatment and for that i am very thankful to have people on this board who are such a rock and a great support. It sounds like so much fun shuvelling and preparing for after the snow , here all i could do is watch endless date trees and sand oh ! And a beautiful sea. I love my doctor here he is very protective of me lolll he even called the hospital thieves as this combo will cost my insurance a lot. Just first cycle about 25,000$ but they approved it. We will see what happens next. I am still so thankful and happy for you. Love and prayers are always heading your way. Xoxox

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Dear Penny,

I hope you enjoyed your trip and that your SEs are better and hope i see good results for you too. Do not forget the lord is on our side all the time and this to me is better than any medicine. I hope i soon would be able to give and hear good results for the both of us and for all these wonderful ladies on this board. Peace be with you all the time. :)))

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

Thanks, Woodylb. The trip to Boston was nice. We spent Friday walking around the town. It wore me out so much that I wasn't up to going to the college on Saturday, so my husband took our daughter to tour it. She fell in love with it. $60,000/year yikes. This Wednesday I get all three - Perjeta, Herceptin, and Navelbine - thanks be to God for these advancements in modern medicine. Herceptin may make your nose runny, like, all the time. Sometimes I'll just be sitting down and water starts running out of a nostril. We have a box of tissues in every room. LOL.

Prayers for all, every day,

Penny

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

I am glad you enjoyed the trip Penny even though you did not get to visit college and it wore you out. But there will be other times, i am sure:)). I am hopefull we both will get good results in the new combination as it seems it is doing wonders. My blood test back today my CA is on the rise so thank God my doctor advised me to do this combo as his intuition was right. I am sure God almithy has a lot to do with it, as everytime i go for a treatment i ask him to give the doctors his eyes and to lay his hands on top of theirs . Heheheheh my nose is already runny, if it becomes more it will be helarious . God be with you all the way. Love and prayers to all:)

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited November 2014

Woody and Penny, best of luck with your treatments.

I started back on Xeloda yesterday after a BIG break (about a month) due to emergency surgery for an intestinal obstruction. I was VERY nervous being off treatment but the onc wanted to make sure I was strong enough before I restarted (surgery and recovery was very tough and very slow). The obstruction was found on an abdominal CT after symptoms of severe pain, fever, and diarrhea. What's good is that the CT also saw that the tumor on my liver was stable after 2 cycles of Xeloda. So I'm glad I'm back on it.

Leah

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

I am so sorry Leah for your ordeal , to go through an operation during chemo. But i am glad you pulled through and that you are back on track. I hope more cycles with xeloda will make your liver tumors shrink. Keep us posted and i hope to hear good news on your next scan. Consider asking your doctor for a PET scan as it will measure your cancer activity in the entire body including your liver. It will give him more insight into your tumors and how they are behaving. Good luck to you:)

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited November 2014

Thank you so much, Woody. I'm a little better each day, though EXTREMELY disappointed that the recovery from this operation meant I had to cancel a trip to the U.S. to see my sisters - I'm just not strong enough for that yet.

I agree with you about the effectiveness of PET scans. Actually that's the one that found the liver mets in August after over 4 years of bone-only mets. I was still trying to wrap my head around this when I had the surgery so I'm all over the place with my emotions/responses to this diagnosis.

Leah

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

Dear Leah:

I remember reading about your ordeal. I'm glad you're back on a treatment that's working.

I went through something similar. I came down with hepatitis-E, yes, E. Should've seen me. Yellow skin and eyes. Orange urine. Liver function numbers quite high. The doctors all said that with people traveling so much, they're seeing more and more of this type of hepatitis. They got me stable in the hospital and right before they discharged me, took more blood samples. Went I got home, I started taking a prescribed med to kill the hepatitis. I was freaking out because I was told no cancer treatment until the hepatitis cleared up. A couple of days after I got home, I got a call from the GI doc - the bloodwork they took right before I was discharged showed no more hepatitis. She was amazed. I call it a miracle from God. I was able to go right back on treatment. All in all, I was off treatment about a month. A real nail-biter. I'm so Blessed.

:-) Penny

• ronniekay
    edited November 2014

I remember how frightening that time was, Penny...thank God for watching over you! He's definitely been busy...my sister just got her results back from her hysterectomy for uterine cancer & no further treatment required. God is great!

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

Amen, Ronnie. Yes He is. Great news about your sister.

• spicypetunia
    spicypetunia Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2014

LOVING the great news from the group and always hoping for more! Congrats & best wishes for good reports from everyone! :D

For the ladies switching to herceptin & perjeta: here's a thread I found helpful Perjeta/Herceptin/Taxotere - I know you're not on taxotere, but there's some decent discussion from people who are now on just herceptin & perjeta as well. I know everything is different for everyone, but I appreciate being informed.

As for the runny nose: the good news is that there are days when it doesn't drip like a faucet. The bad news, I start the day with little folded tissue squares in every pocket, sleeve, and under my bra strap (just can't do the in-the-bra thing yet). Thank goodness for costco - I'm buying TWO cases of kleenex at a time! Maybe it's time to consider handkerchiefs.... It's a great regimen - it has its SEs, but they're really pretty manageable. I hope it's a phenomenal cocktail for you!!!

• ronniekay
    edited November 2014

Ah Spicey...nice to know about info on the tax/herc/perj thread. I used to frequent it but found, not being on tax (I was on it in 09 & my onc wouldn't use it again), my ses on navelbine were very different. Now that more of us are/have been on the periwinkle plant, there's more pertinent discussion...although I like to check up on sisters! To hear others have moved on to hercep/perj only (maybe they're on an AI as well), I look forward to catching up! Especially good to see you!!!

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Hello Ronnie, Penny, Lea and spicy,

i started yesterday the combo herceptin, perjeta,taxol . i was in the hospital for 10 hours, waited for the heart results . they started me on very slow injections increasing every time they saw no allergic reaction it took me 8hrs to get all the injections done. it all went well i got xgeva as well and heparin shot. lolll quite a cocktail. i will stay on taxol for a max of six month and if all is well they will move me on anti hormonal plus the herceptin , perjeta. praise the lord my cancer in a rare show mutated to her2+ as xeloda had a very mixed results on me while progressing in some places slowly. my marker was up to 44 from 38 so this was a sign that i needed the change. Ronnie, i am so happy for your sister wowww . Leah bad times will pass fast and i hope you will get back on track soon. Penny i remember your ordeal with hep E and i know that the lord had a lot to do with it. :)) sipcy thank you for the thread i am sure it will be helpful but i still want to keep on this thread , because i love all the ladies here and i am quite attached to them , but i will certainly use it. thank you. to all of you ladies a lot of prayers and lots of hugs.

• ronniekay
    edited November 2014

Just woke up from my pre-bedtime nap (I drive DH crazy!)...and am glad to have seen this news, Woody!!! Happy they took extra time with this first dose. On my first "re-intro" to herceptin they went too fast and I got fever, chills, shakes...awful! They thought since I'd had it 3 years earlier my body would recognize it, but it didn't. They gave me Benadryl and I recovered quickly. I never had trouble after that. I'm excited that this will be a good txt for you...let the healing begin! Off to bed w/thoughts of all!!!

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Dearest Ronnie,

you are always upbeat , lollll god bless you. I agree with you for the first combo , they hospitalized me for the whole day 10hrs. they sedated me hehehe it was soo much fun. i slept through the whole thing. but i got all the meds including xgeva , heparin shot, and all the rest. the heart test was fine for administration but they found some kind of aneurysm just below the valve , but not the serious kind. so they set me up with a cardiologist and advised me that it is time to maybe consider quitting smoking yukkkk. As if i can and i didn't!!! have a nice hap hehehehe, i am following suit. thinking and praying for you all. xoxoxoxo

• ronniekay
    edited November 2014

Oh my dear Woody...an aneurysm...yikes! I didn't know there was a non-serious type...but thank heavens yours is!!! My sister was afraid of going under for her uterine surgery...I said relax, deep breath, enjoy!!! I love sedation...warm & cozy & I always come out of it very well. I know some have trouble...not me....or you :D. Take care!!!!

• cheery
    cheery Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2014

Congratulations, Woody, on your first PTH infusion! Wow..10 hours is very long! But glad everything went smoothly. Take care!

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

I think you set a record, Woody. 10 hours. Wow. Glad you're ok.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

hahahahaha Ronnie neither did i know there was different kinds of aneurysm it has some kind of scientific jibirish before it , i will check with the doctor what it all means. But what is important is that it was not serious to stop me from getting my meds. And i was wonderfully sedated lollll all day even at night when i went home i slept like a baby. Kisses

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

thank you Cheery, i haven't heard from you for a while , i am glad you are still cheery and great as always. Be well my friend

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Can you believe this Penny? 10 hours? My doctors insisted on the time , they were really worried from allergic reactions to the meds as all three meds do have reactions ans serious ones at that. So they told me they missed me and that they would like to keep me a little longer. If i was not sedated i would have had a fit. Hehehehe . I am well today and i had my first shot of neupogen and tomorrow the second. A little nausea but extremely mild. :))) your support is precious . Thank you

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited November 2014

my tumor markers went up 50 points after one chemo anyone else with this problem with Ixempra, with so many ses I would think it would be going down.....I have to get another scan before we continue. Oh i have have 100 ???small liver mets.. Please any advise is welcome.

becky