Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• Tre4
    Tre4 Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2014

Hello all, I hope its ok to post here. I recently posted on the main forum about the news of my mom being diagnosed with stage 4 numerous mets to liver. We are currently waiting for bone scan results. This is her 3rd time being diagnosed, the first was 27 years ago and she had a lumpectomy with radiation. Second time in 2011, calcification in same breast so she had a unilateral mastectomy and was put on Anastrozole. This time she went to have a ct scan of her lungs for a bad cough and it was seen on her liver. So needless to say the Anastrozole stopped working. Today was her first chemo. She is getting Taxol and Carboplatin....praying it knocks those suckers down. Its been such a rollercoaster of emotions, but I am so greatful to have found this forum, you ladies are truly inspiring.

Tracey

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited November 2014

Dearest Penny , i hope your prayers are heard :))) as they usually are, i will post later today on the outcome. Meanwhile , i hope you are well and that you are getting a break to have a nice and warm thanksgiving with you family. Hugs.

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited November 2014

Tracey - Taxol & Carboplatin are great - they should knock those lesions right out of your mom's liver. But they can be tough. It sounds like she's got a great support system in you. She'll need it. She's going to be very tired.

Prayers,

Penny

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Hello ladies,

I finally got to get my taxol dose of taxol today and not 10 hrs but four lolll. Thank you for your prayers they worked. ((HUGS)) to all of you and Happy thanksgivings!

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Tre4,

I agree with redwolf , carbo+taxol is a good combination to get red of these buggers, but it will be tough on your mom she will be tired. But i believe she has in you a strong support and the love , these two combinations are both lethal to combat chemo . God bless you and her and wosh her a speedy recovery. My prayers are with you and your mom. Keep us posted. Happy thanksgivings :)

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

Woody - four is better than ten. Take it easy and enjoy your Thanksgiving, even it it means just sleeping through it.

:-) Penny

• Tre4
    Tre4 Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2014

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Hehehe Penny it sure is, i actually feel ok , just sleepless . I am sure by tomorrow the SEs will start showing, but like you said i will sleep off . Enjoy your thanksgivings too with less SEs and less of everything. Hugs.

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

Dear Lord, thank You for all your Miracles, Cures, Healings, and Advances in Modern Medicine. Please bless tomorrow's treatment so that it does Your Work in me. Please fill my mind, body, and soul with Your Spirit. Please bless the Perelman Center and all the patients, caregivers, and employees. In the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, I pray. Amen.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Dear Lord , I thank you for all you have given us along the years, when we took everything for granted and never noticed the little things you did for us. Thank you for all the friends we made along the way , old and new, thank you for our families, doctors, caregivers. We have a lot to thank you for . But most of all , i thank you for the new family i made on this board. Please lord , i ask you in this blessed holiday, to be inside the medicine which Penny will get tomorrow , to clean her body from sickness , run through her vains and do your wonders. In the name of your beloved son Jesus christ who suffered and shed his blood to give us eternel life. Amen.

I am sorry Penny you will,be having your session tomorrow, but i hope it will be easy , pain and SE free and most of all effective. You are in my prayers and may the Lord grant me this wish. Let me know how it went. I hope this thanksgiving will be a healing one for all of us.

• cheery
    cheery Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2014

That's great news Woody! Glad you made it for the treatments and all within 4 hours! lol..

Penny, hope all goes smoothly with your treatment tomorrow.

Ronnie, I too have a fatty liver. And heck, I still drink a fair bit (up to 1/3 of a bottle consecutively on some nights) when I'm not having chemo! lol..thankfully my liver enzymes are still normal;) the only times when my liver enzymes went out of whack is when I'd liver met progression and some liver injury due to drug interaction between TCM and chemo. I also think the chemo affects our liver more than alcohol, unless one is a serious alcoholic. My doc did give me the go-ahead and he said he didn't think I was drinking that much:) best news ever!! lol..

I'm sharing this given the hols season and everyone loves a little drink during the festive times:) happy hols everyone!

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Cheery, your name discirbes so well as you always spread cheers wherever you are.i am glad you are doing welll and still with the same anthusiasm . Missed seing you on this board! Lolll my 4 hours where only for taxol, next week it will be hercep/ perjeta we will see how long it takes. Like you said fatty liver is not big issue as most of the planet earth have it . Some drinks do do any harm on accasion but not too much. Happy hol cheers to you to dear Cat.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited November 2014

I just want to pop in and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

I hope treatments continue to go well for everyone.

I'm back on the Xeloda after a surgery break. It wasn't something planned - I developed an intestinal blockage due to scar tissue/adhesions from my ooph 4 years ago. I went back on the Xeloda 2 wks ago and saw the surgeon yesterday - he said I'm healed from the surgery and can go back to regular activities and a regular diet. I've been on low-fiber since leaving the hospital. The dietician (saw her last week) thought I should stay on low fiber for another few weeks but since the surgeon didn't think it was necessary any more I'm going to start s l o w l y to add a few things. Oatmeal today. Whole wheat bread in a few days. Yeah, really living dangerously. (and don't you just love when your medical providers give different instructions?)

One bit of good news - when I had the abdominal CT in the hospital that found the blockage, it also showed that the tumor n my liver was stable. So it seems Xeloda is doing its job.

Leah

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

Thank You, Lord! Great news, Leah!

• Garlikbread
    Garlikbread Member Posts: 33
    edited November 2014

hey ladies. Don't want to be here but here I am now with met to liver. I'm scared as heck. Not hopeful at all and I'm usually the optimistic one. I'm sad, cried twice this week. Don't know what to do. They are giving me a shot to shut ovaries down because I'm only 38 and a hormonal Femara

Margie

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Garlickbread,

I am so sorry you joined our club and i know how shocking and frustrsting and scary this is. However, know that you wil, find here all the emotional support you need and whole of lot of information. Liver mets is not the news anyone wants to hear but a lot of ladies here have it and have been living wit it for quite sometime. So what i want to say even though it is not our favorite diagnosis but you will find there a re a lot of options , plenty of new medication som will work fine other won't but you will be ok god's willing. It is your right to be scared and cry but ince you start treatment ou will feel safer and stronger to face this disease. Did you get these chemo before your liver met diagnosisor after? It is not quite clear ...if you are highly hormone positive then femara should do a good job in keeping the disease. Stable or shrinking it. I wish you good luck and good health . Feel free to pop anytime here, to vent or to ask any question you like and you will find plenty of nice wonderful ladies ready for help and support.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

sorry ladies for all the type o's you find in my posts i lost my old IPAD bought a new one and since i upraded it something is wrong withe curser hehehehe i am doing my best so try to read between the lines Singing

• Garlikbread
    edited November 2014

woody. Met showed up after my July scans. My November scans showed new spots and MRI yesterday confirmed it. I stopped chemo back in April.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Leah_S , happy to hear you healed well from your surgery, and glad you are back on track with xeloda and it is succeeding in keeping your mets in line. Hourrayyy! However , i would advise you from knowledge to keep your diet low on fiber , since fiber tends to empty your intestin they also take away the good flora which makes the intestins a bit tighter to push out the dirt. Try to find yougurt with probiotics and if you eat one a day it will add the good flora while keeping your intestins healthy. Dieticians, and doctors do not always speak the same language and most often do not agree. While on chemo stick to what your doctor says not your dietician. Of course this is only my advise the rest is up to you. But congrat on your stable status and i hope soon you will annouce shrinking. Happy holidays.

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

Appointment cancelled. Woke up with a lousy head cold. Post-nasal drip, sore throat. Yucky. Chemo break, day before Thanksgiving. Whoo Hoo! Thank You, Lord!

Happy Thanksgiving, all. May the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and all the Holy Angels fill your hearts with everlasting peace, love, joy, and charity. Pray for the less fortunate. Do unto others.

Dear Garlikbread - Woody had some great words of wisdom. I hope you take comfort in the fact that many with liver mets have been living with them, for years, some even NED or stable! Keeping you in prayer.

• Leah_S
    edited November 2014

Wood, thank you for the advise about fiber. I have been thinking of adding a probiotic just because I've been through so much. Your post is pushing me more in that direction! I do want to start to eat more fiber, though, since the SE of this low fiber diet has been constipation, something I NEVER had a problem with before.

Leah

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Leah_S ,

Lollll i have the same problem with SEs which i neber had before probiotic eill take care of it. Activia from danone is a goid choice, but nature not the fruiy stuff as it may contain lots of sugars.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Sorry Penny for what it looks like a flu , but yayyyy chemo break!! See God wanted to celebrate the holidays chemo free, enjoy the break even with a cold. You are right about the less fortunate oh! God there are so many, so i join my prayers to yours asking God to hepl us help others and to stream his kight through us. My prayers with us all anf have a peaceful , loving and wonderful thanksgiving to all filled with love and harmony. Hugs.

• chichimaine
    chichimaine Member Posts: 89
    edited November 2014

All, I have exciting news! I had my scans this morning and was prepared to wait until Monday to get the results from my onc. I got a call about noon from one of the PA's (my favorite, Wendy). She wanted to give me something special to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. The tumors are shrinking!!!!! And there are no new tumors!! The tumors have shrunk to half of what they were, so the Navelbine is doing it's job! I am floating on air emotionally today! I was able to call both of my daughters and my two grown (17 and 21) grandaughters and share the news. We all cried...happy, happy tears! If I can't be with them for Thanksgiving, we can at least be celebrating this together!

I thank God for His faithfulness in standing with me through all of my treatments, my highs and my lows. Our God is an awesome god!!!

Woody - so glad to hear you were able to get your taxol and stay on track for your Christmas plans! Yay!!! Once again, God is continuing to keep his arms around you!

Penny - Sorry that you have the flu, but a break from chemo is well worth a little flu!! Hope you're feeling better!

RonnieKay - I think this break from chemo is a good thing and will give you a chance to rest. I understand your fears...always picturing those little blasted cancer cells being busy, busy, busy. But, I'm sure your onc knows what he is doing. I'll send up more prayers for you.

Leah - so glad the Xeloda is working for you!!! Woohoo!!!

Garlickbread - "Welcome" to our band of sisters. I completely understand your fears...we all have them, trust me. But there are so many options out there for you as far as treatments. Especially as you are ER+/PR+. I will be thinking of you and sending up prayers!! Keep us posted.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to all of you...may God continue to bless and keep you!

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Chichi,

Wonderful , beautiful exciting news youhouuuuuu !! I am so happy for you specially the fact that you got them iat this specific time. Happier for the fact that you could share them with your children wowwwww. Good for you sweety , keep this spirit and you will keep getting better. God is good , merciful and giving and he is opening doors for all of us. It may not be what we expect but whatever comes from him is always good and for a better purpose. I hope the nxt news will be tumors gone ... Hurrayyyyy! Hugs

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

Thank You, Lord! So happy to hear this news, Chichimaine. It'll be a Happy Thanksgiving for all, thanks be to God!

(I have scans Tuesday evening).

• redwolf8812
    edited November 2014

May The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and all the Holy Angels surround you and yours with everlasting love, peace, and joy. May The Blessed Virgin, Mother Mary, intercede for our good health. In the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, I pray. Amen.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2014

Thank you Penny for the beautiful prayers and heartfelt wishes , may it be returned to you ten thousand folds. We hope to hear wonderful news after your scans too . In Jesus name our Lord , amen

• Leah_S
    edited November 2014

Chichimaine, such wonderful news! Reggie is in da house!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Leah

• Garlikbread
    edited November 2014

hi ladies

I was just diagnosed with met to liver and wanted to know since there is only one am I a candidate for radiation or ablation (sp)?

Margie