Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Michigan Ladies?

Options

Comments

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited September 2015
    Options

no issues with my ps in Saginaw. I got anatomical a in May and very happy. 525ccs vs my real at 780ccs. Nips and tats in October. Pm me if anyone wants more info. It was a long road to implants but I am happy with the result

• homeschool4us
    homeschool4us Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2015
    Options

I'm late to the party, but just adding myself to the Michigan list. I'm 39 and 10 weeks pregnant. I'm also being treated at U of M. Just had a mastectomy 10 days ago. Waiting to start chemo in a few weeks.

• maureen1
    maureen1 Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2015
    Options

(((homeschool4us))) I am so very sorry you have to deal with this with a baby on the way....you and your baby-to-be are in my thoughts and prayers as you start your journey and fight this beast (((Hugs))) Maureen

• queenmomcat
    queenmomcat Member Posts: 2,020
    edited September 2015
    Options

Johnny-come-lately: I'm in SW Michigan, and today's my last day of rads.

• treelilac
    treelilac Member Posts: 138
    edited September 2015
    Options

homeschool: Do rest as much as you can! :) Once the baby is here, you probably won't get enough.

• maureen1
    edited September 2015
    Options

Welcome (((Queenmomcat))) congratulations on finishing rads!! (((Hugs))) Maureen

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

(cheers tiredly) Sipped champagne, and then bed.

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited October 2015
    Options

Welcome homeschool and queens. Hugs to you both! Homeschool, I know another woman not on bco who just went through a similar situation. She went through chemo while pregnant and just celebrated her baby girl's first birthday. Both are doing well!

Cheers! queens!

• queenmomcat
    edited October 2015
    Options

Revived enough to start putting sprng bulbs in, though my 90-year-old neighbor expressed concern I'm doing too much too soon. (In fairness, she went through a nasty round of cancer treatment maybe 30 years ago, though techniques have improved since then.)

• Sassy527
    Sassy527 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2015
    Options

I am also a patient in Michigan. I was diagnosed with stage 1 ductal carcinoma and am HER2 + at 38 years old.

I am looking for so many answers to so many questions and am happy to have found this forum! I'm hoping that even if I can't find my answers, I'll find some support as I'm sure you all know and nod your heads in understanding when I say I am so scared.

I am done with my treatments. I did 6 weeks of radiation and Herceptin only to target the HER2 but declined any other treatments. I'm struggling with my decisions and dealing with severe anxiety as well as, what I must believe are side effects to having these treatments. I'm beginning to feel like it will never go away. Will I feel this way for the rest of my life?

Seeking to talk to anyone who may have some insight and eager to hear your stories :-)

• maureen1
    edited October 2015
    Options

(((Sassy527))) so sorry you have to join us but...yes, we understand the fear and the uncertainty about what lies ahead...When I was first diagnosed I struggled with my decisions - second guessing myself, wondering if I would make the "wrong" choice and regret it later but someone in one of these forums gave me some really good advice. "All you can do is make the best decision you can with the information that you have and don't look back". Unfortunately there is no "one" way to fight this beast and no guarantees - and some choices are based not just on what can be done but also the quality of life. You will find a wealth of experience and wisdom in these forums from women who have been down this path...hang in there, you're not alone, (((Hugs))) Maureen

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited October 2015
    Options

has anyone used: 1. eva Timek for breast reconstrution?

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited October 2015
    Options

Stix - just sent you a pm

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,021
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi Sassy-

We want to welcome you to BCO. We're sorry for what brings you here, but we're so glad you've found us. You've come to the right place for support! You'll find many of our members who're familiar with your experiences and feelings. You are definitely not alone, and we are all here for you and you navigate this new normal.

The Mods

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited October 2015
    Options

I live in Ohio about 8 miles from Michigan line,

but travel to U of M...I am almost 4 years out - Stage 3, my mom is 1 year out,

Stage 1, and my sister, Stage 3, is just finishing chemo and ready for rads. We all go to U of M.

We have only praise for all of our doctors and professionals there! They have been amazing to

our family in such perilous times!

• Sassy527
    Sassy527 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi Maureen1 :-)

Thank you so much for your reply. I see you have taken the Tamoxifan. I'm supposed to be taking these but have heard the side effects are horrible and it's dangerous. Can I ask how you didwith this treatment?

• maureen1
    edited October 2015
    Options

Yes...I do take Tamoxifen, started it in July 2 years ago. I am really torn about the side effects vs the benefits. I have gained quite a bit of weight, my skin has aged and is very dry, and it has knocked out all my estrogen. Initially I also had some trouble sleeping but started taking Melatonin and that has worked. Other than those issues I haven't had any really bad side effects so since my IDC was strongly estrogen positive and my mom died of metastatic breast cancer just 2 years after she went off her Tamoxifen I have decided to keep taking it. It is a quality and quantity of life decision - I just had to weigh the two and decide what I could tolerate. My MO said I would likely be on it for 10 years so about 8 more to go - YIKES! One day at a time...Good luck with you decision, take care, Maureen

• Stix
    edited January 2016
    Options

has anyone used dr. hammond for surgery in grand rapids besides the one person i already chatted with.?????Happy. Thank you

• Stix
    edited January 2016
    Options

How is every one doing? Has anyone new recently had breast reconstruction w. great results? Still in this reconstruction problem with two different looking breasts

• homeschool4us
    edited January 2016
    Options

I am still in the treatment phase. Later this year I can decide if I want recon or not. I think my only option is DIEP and it scares me to death. I only had a unilateral mastectomy thiugh so I at least want the other off.

I am bummed that my super duper wonderful breast surgeon moved to a different hospital though.

• Stix
    edited January 2016
    Options

please let me know who the super breast surgeon was. :). thanks

• homeschool4us
    edited January 2016
    Options

Dr. Jessica Bensenhaver. She was at U of M. She went to Henry Ford.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited January 2016
    Options

HomeSchool - my sister and mom had Dr. Bensenhaver as their surgeon - we love her. I had Dr. Breslin who is now in Chicago. (yes, myself, my mom and sister all diagnosed within 3 years).  We were all sorry to see her go to Henry Ford.  We commute to University of Michigan from Toledo, Ohio.  My sister is in rads now after chemo, and I help her drive it all the time.  U of M is worth every mile ever driven for all of us. At least 200 round trips collectively.  I am like their biggest fan! 

Here is a press release about Dr. Bensenhaver and the others who left to go to Henry Ford you might find of interest:

http://www.henryford.com/body.cfm?id=46335&action=detail&ref=2360

• homeschool4us
    edited January 2016
    Options

Interesting, Denise, thanks! It seems like Henry Ford is eally trying to build up it's breast cancer center. It would only be another 45 minutes or so for me to drive there (already driving an hour and 15), so I may consider it if I have recon.

• Anniekay80
    Anniekay80 Member Posts: 92
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi everyone just wanted to stand up and be counted as one of the Michigan girls. I live in Flint. My primary care doc is in Flushing (20 minute drive) and he got me in to see one of the best super breast surgeon's within a week of my diagnosis. My B.S. was Dr Lindsey Gold, originally from Flint area but moved to Beaumont Troy due to a lack of good plastic surgeons for breasts in this area. I saw her at Genesys in Grand Blanc, where she still sees patients 4 times a month, but switched to her Troy location for my procedure to get a good PS. Loved loved loved her! I honestly couldn't say enough good things about her.

Anyway during my consult with Dr Gold I asked for a recommendation for a good plastic surgeon she was comfortable working with. (my research said it was vital for your B.S. to have good working relationship with the PS) So in less than a week I got a call with an appt with Dr Meininger at his office in Birminham though he works out of the Beaumont Troy hospital. Love love love him too.

I am 23 days post bilateral mastectomy with TE placement. So I drove an hour to see Dr Gold, an hour to the Troy hospital, and an hour for every visit to Dr Meininger my PS. But I'm not complaining cause while Genesys is a fantastic hospital and only 20 minutes away, it isn't worth the time saved if you don't have a PS that your BS works well with.

Anyway I am currently feeling pretty good though I had a really rough start. It was exactly 1 month from diagnosis to surgery and I was totally unprepared for what I was about to go through despite my great surgeons and hours and hours of research. These boards have saved my sanity and given me some practical advice that helped me get through the really rough spots. *best advice was get a body pillow for side sleeping.....got my first good night's sleep after that purchase.

I have an appt with my PS on Tuesday this week for another fill, so I'll be back to muscle spasms tightness and pain soon enough. Not looking forward to that drive, especially the drive home right after a fill while my entire chest spasms continuously....makes me nauseous. But each fill brings me one step closer to the end goal...TE exchange with implants.

So is there anyone else here from Flint?

• Stix
    edited January 2016
    Options

Anyone else for a reconstructive surgeon?

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited January 2016
    Options

Stix - I'm so sorry you're still on the recon journey. (((Hugs)))

I still need some fat grafting and tattoos, but I'm not yet ready for any more surgery. Maybe in a year or so.

Hello to all the newcomers! :)

• HausFrauMi
    HausFrauMi Member Posts: 113
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi! I'm in Rochester Hills. We just moved here in August 2015. Kids are in 2nd and 4th grades and really like their new school so that has been a relief! I just got them signed up for Camp Kesem thru UMich. I'm 42 and my mom died from breast cancer at 38 (Dx ~35 yrs old but prob there 33/34 yrs of age).

I got diagnosed Jan 13 and will know my course of action by Feb 3. My MRI is Sunday 31st. I am seeing Dr Linsey Gold for my surgeon. Dr Hanna for Oncology and Dr Nandular (sp?). They are part of the multidisciplinary team at Troy Beaumont. I loved Dr Gold when I met her on Friday!! Originally got in with Dr Ruark but she is leaving for McLaren (can still work at Beaumont). She was pushing for surgery even before all my results had come in saying I was triple negative which now they seem to be doing chemo first then surgery for best outcomes. Also Heard some chatter that she hasn't been getting clean margins lately and I would prefer only 1 surgery if possible. I am waiting on genetic results to determine surgical path after chemo.

• Anniekay80
    Anniekay80 Member Posts: 92
    edited January 2016
    Options

HausFrauMI

HI just wanted to let you know I followed Dr Gold all the way from Flint to Beaumont Troy....an hours drive. She is soooooo worth it. Her staff is fantastic too. I have absolutely nothing bad to say. She picked my plastic surgeon at my request and I loved him too. She says she is a "breast conservationist" but lays out all your options and supports whatever your decision is. She is an extremely skilled surgeon (I havery some friends in the medical community and they all say this is who they would go to themselves). Since I qualified for skin sparring nipple sparring mastectomy she decided to do the incision in the inframammarary fold so in the end my scar will be almost invisible under the breastcancer.org implants.

I only needed surgery and had tissue expanders placed by my PS Dr Meininger. After my 10 day post op with Dr Gold I won't see her again til the 6 month mark. I really miss her energy and positivity as well as her skill. I would recommend my own daughters to her.

You are in good hands with Dr Gold.....don't know your other doctors but I don't know anything about the doctors in the Troy area other than the ones I have.

Good luck! Cyber hugs coming your way......

• Stix
    edited January 2016
    Options

Ruark is going to McLaren ? She was my sx. Why ? PM me.