Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Michigan Ladies?

Options

Comments

• jlstacey
    jlstacey Member Posts: 117
    edited March 2015
    Options

Beaumont also told me they would have me hold my breath to move my heart out of the way if I need radiation.

Stix, have you had a consult at U of M for DIEP? I'm now considering this and am going to schedule a consult

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi JLstacey,

I did not consult with the dr. that does dieps at U of M.  Who are you consulting with? I did see one of the PS that does implants and he wanted to put 2.5 more inches of incision line on me so I did not go with him. 

I am running out of options. I will have a consult with NOLA for a second opinion b4 I go into surgery again. Too many surgeries for me.

• jlstacey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Stix, I'm going to schedule a consult with Dr. Momoh. I'm also thinking about calling NOLA but I think that route might be too expensive. Their DIEP results look really good.

It looks like you have had a crazy number of surgeries!

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good morning ladies! I haven't been around much....took a much-needed break from Breastlandia for a few months to help my daughter plan her wedding and care for my son. It was wonderful to "forget" about all of this, even if just briefly. 😊

Some of us are planning a get-together in April -either the 18th or 25th - tentatively at Sandhill Crane Vineyard in Jackson. I know not all of us are centrally located but wanted to extend the invitation to all who want to join us. I'll have more details shortly - please contact me if you have any questions.

Nancy

• Stix
    edited March 2015
    Options

. How do you know u of m results look good for diep?

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    edited March 2015
    Options

Stix: Did NOLA ever get back to you with numbers?

• jlstacey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Stix- I don't know that Dr. Mom oh' results look good and just found out they won't show you results. How the heck am I supposed to judge their work? Has anybody used Dr. Momoh for a DIEP flap?

I had meant the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in NOLA has good results. I have a call into to them to ask some questions. I don't know if that would work out logistically and financially. I have a 9 year old and a ten year old, so having two weeks in New Orleans for surgery during the school year would be hard.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2015
    Options

jlstacey, they won't show you results? Why on earth not?

• jlstacey
    edited March 2015
    Options

they say it is university policy

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2015
    Options

JL, next! I can't imagine hiring a PS without seeing his work.

• jlstacey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Can anyone tell me other Michigan PS who do DIEP flap? I have seen Dr. Chaiyasate at Beaumont and wasn't impressed with results.

Momine- I too can't fathom picking a plastic surgeon without seeing examples of his or her work.

I have now talked to NOLA and am going to send in my paperwork to get an idea of how much they would cost. I'm not yet sure I'll do a DIEP flap

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2015
    Options

Regarding NOLA results... I can attest they are fantastic! Every doc who looks at my breasts says how great they look... you really can't tell I've had a mastectomy. Bummer that next Friday I'm having a lumpectomy at U of M and they are removing tissue about the size of a golf ball (which on me is pretty huge) so I'm going to need to go back somewhere for more reconstruction (4-5 months after radiation). But I won't be able to afford to go back to NOLA again. I met with Dr. Momah last time around and I recall that he had a book that I was able to look at while I was in the office. But that was two years ago so maybe times have changed. I didn't do my DIEP with him because he said I was too thin and he wouldn't be able to get enough fat. Plus, I had cancer in both breasts and he said he could do my reconstruction using my thighs but it would take two separate surgeries - one breast each time.

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2015
    Options

jlstacey - my PS in Grand Rapids does DIEP. Pictures are on the website. Dr. Dennis Hammond. If you google "pipsmd" his website will come up.

• Stix
    edited March 2015
    Options

jlstacy- I PM'd you

• cinvee
    cinvee Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think Dr. Kozlow at U of M does diep. I was considering it, and met with him. I did go with him, but had a skin sparing with expanders.

He has been fantastic.

Cinvee

• Stix
    edited March 2015
    Options

i was told that there are only 2 docs that do reconstruction at u of m....mohmoh and wilkins

• cinvee
    edited March 2015
    Options

His bio on the U of M plastic surgeons page even mentions diep. Dr. Kozlow: U of M plastic surgeons

I went to Dr. Bensenhaver in the Breast Cancer Center, for my mastectomies, she was also great. I really like Dr. Kozlow though. :)

• Stix
    edited April 2015
    Options

When I called u of m plastic sx. Center they never mentioned kozlow

• Mich71
    Mich71 Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2015
    Options

Cinvee - glad your experience has been positive at U of M. I just think their office is a class act and very efficient to deal with in general. I see Wilkins so it appears that all 5 of their doctors listed in this area are possibly quite wonderful - we are lucky to have them in our area!

• jlstacey
    edited April 2015
    Options

Stix- there is a website called DIEPsisters (http://diepsisters.com/) that lists DIEP surgeons by state. There are several surgeons in Michigan that do DIEP. I now have consults scheduled with Momoh and Dr. Studinger at Providence Park Hospital. At U of M, based on their website, it appears that only Kozlow and Momoh do DIEP. I don't think Wilkins does. 

• Stix
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi wilkins does not do dieps. Your correct.

• cinvee
    edited April 2015
    Options

Mich71, I agree! I have been nothing but absolutely pleased with U of M. They are a class act for sure. I am constantly amazed at how much time they spend with me. I never feel like I am rushed, and that they want to get to the next room or patient.

Dr. Kozlow went over ever single option with me, then told me what he thought the best choices were and why. He still gave me info on all options and made sure I was happy with the decision that I would make. I am happy I decided to go with the expanders, and happy with the results so far.

• Stix
    edited April 2015
    Options

jlstacey...When is your appointment at u of M? Who are you seeing?Happy

• treelilac
    treelilac Member Posts: 138
    edited April 2015
    Options

I guess I should add myself here. :)

I'm seeking the second opinion but it has been some wait. Did any of you ladies consult with a U of M oncologist without having to wait for at least one week? I feel like I should just stick with my current doctors in order to proceed with treatment. But my BS will be on vacation for 2 weeks so nothing is going to happen soon. :(

• Stix
    edited April 2015
    Options

they are busy and have other patients. I had to wait a couple of months - but, I don't have cancer. If you have cancer it should not take longer than a couple weeks to 3.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2015
    Options

Treelilac, I got in to UM within two weeks. They wanted my records first and once they had those then I was scheduled to go in on tumor board day - always on a Monday.

• treelilac
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm currently with St Joe's Ann Arbor and things have not been fast enough for me. I asked my PCP a week ago to refer me for second opinions and I just heard back yesterday. U of M needs 2 weeks to go through my file. I guess my PCP didn't forward them?

I'd like U of M's opinions because they're NCI Cancer Center. My current providers are nice but I can't say I'm thrilled with the rest of the staff. Thank you ladies for the time-frame references. Now I know when to bug them again. :)

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2015
    Options

treelilac - I was with St. Joe's but I got a second opinion from UM. I had to wait about two weeks to get in as well, as they wanted time to get all my files over. As someone else mentioned, they only go to tumor board on Mondays, so new patients and second opinions are only scheduled Mondays. It makes it more difficult to get in quickly. Who's your BS at St. Joe's? I'm with Dr. Jennifer Kulick. I adore her and can't say enough positive things about her.

• treelilac
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Allydp: I also have Dr. Kulick (and Sherick). :) The only thing that worries me about the treatment is that they want me to have surgery first instead of neo-adjuvant. I asked my MO and she said I have the lobular TN so it's different. But what I read online doesn't always support that view. Older literature perhaps says so but not the more recent one. On one hand, I want to start treatment soon; on the other, I'm afraid to commit to the wrong plan. :(

• Madison4568
    Madison4568 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Ladies- I am from Michigan as well and was diagnosed last October at the age of 22 with inflammatory BC. After a prolonged diagnosis at another hospital I went to U of M for a second opinion. My MO is Dr. Sofia Merajver, BS is Dr. Jessica Bensenhaver, RO is Dr. Lori Pierce and hope to have Dr. Momoh as my PS when I am able. They are all amazing doctors. They have given me all the standard treatments and any clinical trials available. I feel they are the absolute best in Michigan! (I also attend school there)

Even though the earliest I can have reconstruction is next May I did have a consultation with Dr. Momoh. He recommended that I would need a Lat Flap. I hear he is a great PS but I didn't ask to see pictures of his work. Has anyone had flap reconstruction with him?