Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Michigan Ladies?

Options

Comments

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited February 2014
    Options

Another Michigander here! I live in Hartland and am at St. Joe's Ann Arbor, doing chemo in Brighton. I had a 2nd opinion with UofM and they recommended the same treatment plan as St. Joe's, so I decided to stay put. I LOVE my cancer team there and feel great about the care. I haven't met with my plastic surgeon yet, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed in that department.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Ally!

Having a great team makes the world so much better! This thread isn't always super active, but maybe when (if????) spring ever gets here we will finally figure out a time to meet up somewhere in the middle! There are quite a few of us. 

Just know that ifyou're not equally as happy with your PS you can find another!! 

Have you already started your chemo? 

• smo23915
    smo23915 Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Ally,

I am from Novi, MI very close to Ann Arbor.  I have had many second opinions but my Onc is Dr. VanPosnick, from UofM.  She is great, who is your Onc.  My BS was from Troy Beaumont.
    Looking forward to a meet up in the spring.
    Sharon

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited February 2014
    Options

consulting with Wilkins at U of  M.  Anybody else use wilkins.  Using for a re vision

• Jo6202
    Jo6202 Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2014
    Options

Ally,

Best of luck with your chemo this week.  Thinking of you just starting your treatment. These boards are a great source of information and the time will go fast. Hope the weather cooperates and spring will be here before you know it too. Keep us posted.

• Stix
    edited February 2014
    Options

allydp- did you meet with your ps yet?

• annika12
    annika12 Member Posts: 92
    edited February 2014
    Options

hi ladies , I really don't mind winter but enough already lol !!! I want to get back to life,  walking, running (outdoors ) , gardening , open windows and warm breezes, grilling food !!!  Or  just simply not wear 15 layers of clothing.....thou I do look better in lots of clothes and a hat :)  A get together in the spring would be great !!! I'm almost done....almost !!!

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited February 2014
    Options

hi ladies!!  Styx: I want to let you know that I had a consult with Dr Wilkins at U of M. Very nice guy, you should like him. I ultimately didn't go with him because he was first inclined to do a lapissimus flap on me. I don't want to go that route, so. Got opinions from Karmanos and also local plastic surgeons. In the end I chose a highly experienced local PS; I'm happy with this choice for me. 

• Not-Me
    Not-Me Member Posts: 50
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hey ladies...so sorry to see you here but welcome.  I have been on the boards since 2004, read my bio and it will tell you that I am a two time survivor.  There is a group of us ladies, most of us many many years out who would love to connect.  Hang in there, and I will send you our Facebook link.  Hugs.  

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited February 2014
    Options

hi, adding to the Michigan Ladies.  I am a bit further Up North than one of you but still in mid-michigan.  First time I saw this thread.  Still a bit of a newbie but glad to join all of you!

• Stix
    edited February 2014
    Options

thanks girlstrong.... who did you end up going to in Michigan?  Are you happy with your results. I didn't think they still did latt. flaps?

• girlstrong
    edited February 2014
    Options

hi Stix: when I went to other PS and got their opinion, they were surprised that DR. Wilkins wanted to do a lat flap. In fact the PS from Karmanos said "is he older, that's usually what older PS suggest to do first". I wound up going with a PS out of East Lansing, mi. He's extremely conscientious and has lots of reconstruction experience; so far I'm happy but the only this I've had done so far are tissue expanders. Feel free to PM me if you want specifics. 

• maureen1
    maureen1 Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2014
    Options

Girlstrong...small world, my PS was in East Lansing too...wonder if we went to the same one? 

• allydp
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi again, ladies! I lost track of this thread, sorry! I would love to do a spring meet up, how fun! I haven't met with my PS yet, but I plan on getting on them about an appt soon. I had my first chemo Tues and so far so good. No nausea, just very tired, jittery and having difficulty concentrating. So much so, it's hard to respond here. I hope that's normal. I don't like that you can't type up a response in word and paste it over lol. That's my usual way to address all the posts and not miss anything! 

Sharon, my onc is Dr. Beekman at St. Joe's Mercy in AA. I really love her. My BS is Dr. Kulick out of AA as well. Both have been great. I'm starting to get a little nervous on the whole PS choice. I figured I'd just use whomever my BS suggested, but maybe that's not the wisest decision. We shall see! 

Can't wait for some warmer weather around here and looking forward to getting to know you all! Hugs from Deerfield Twp (between Hartland and Fenton)!

• Dulcigirl
    edited February 2014
    Options

Ally,

Glad you found us again! Winking

I went to the PS that my BS suggested. I knew that they worked well together which seemed like a huge pro since they were both in there at the same time for part of my bmx/te. But I was reserving judgement til my consult. Both DH and I liked my PS very much and I felt comfortable with him. I later found out that he does more reconstruction than anyone else in the tri-state area. (Hope I quoted that correctly! Anyway...he has experience!) Had I felt uncomfortable or had he seemed hesitant/inexperienced I would have looked around more. When you find the right one just be sure to ask about experience with whatever YOUR type of reconstruction will be. 

And I'm so glad you haven't had nausea!!! 

Spring...it HAS to arrive eventually, right???? Loopy

• Stix
    edited March 2014
    Options

Dear ally, make sure your surgeon has at least 5years of just looking at breasts. ....not including their residency. Also ask how many breast surgeries they do a year and what type. Further list the different types and ask the percentage he performs. Also ask  of those surgeries he  performed a year.....let's say 100''''how many of those 100 ddoes heor she need to perform revisions on. Lastly ask your BS how many she/he thinks the PS brings back to the OPERATING room for redo.  Also ask if you can talk to a couple of patients Your age that the PS performed surgery on. If the PS doesn't want to give u all of this or gets defensive then run. 

• allydp
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thanks so much, Dulcigirl and Stix! Those are great points and questions and I've started a list for when the time comes. :)

How is everyone doing this week? Well, I hope! I go for chemo #2 Tuesday and although I tolerated the first one well, I'm nervous all over again. Sheesh. 

• Macy
    Macy Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi ladies, I think I visited this thread way back when I first joined. I'm happy to see it active again. A little about me...I'm a Yooper but I'm being treated at U of M. My BS was Dr. Bensenhaver. Wonderful doctor....we even looked a little bit alike! I did my chemo treatments up here locally. Too far to drive to Ann Arbor in this awful winter we've had although I know two people locally who do make the trip! 

I was told at U of M that I would not be recommended for PS until 6 months after my radiation treatment, which begins soon. I guess that is for healing but 6 months seems like a long time...late fall for me. Did anyone else have to wait that long for reconstruction, not because you chose to wait but were told to wait? 

I'm also anxious to hear of any and all good PS for my reconstruction. Suggestions welcome. I did hear about a good place in Grand Rapids. I might go for a consult there eventually. 

Glad to see this thread is active again. I will help in any way I can!

• Jo6202
    Jo6202 Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Macy,

My sister-in-law waited two years after her radiation because her breast kept shrinking. Hope I don't have to wait that long. I live in rural middle of the mitt and also would like to hear about good plastic surgeons. I don't care how far I have to travel to get a good one.

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi, I am in the middle of the mitt and in the middle of reconstruction.  I went with TE and expanders after BMX so I can't comment on PS that do the diep, etc.  I know others that had success with the microsurgery out of  GR and AA.  I am happy with mine so far, will let you know!  We have some excellent care in Michigan.  Anyone know of a good 3d tatoo artist in the area?

• girlstrong
    edited March 2014
    Options

http://www.chaiyasate-plasticsurgery.com/breast-pr...

Hi, I've attached the homepage of a plastic surgeon I was referred to if I wanted to take the flap route, he is a PS who is also a microsurgeon; he is out of Beaumont health system. I've heard great things but ultimately chose implants and so am working with a PS out of East Lansing and am very pleased so far. Hope this helps. 

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2014
    Options

ally, I hope your chemo is going well.  I remember how challenging those steroids & "chemo brain" feelings were.  It gets better eventually - hopefully spring comes soon & makes it all better!

Dr. Beekman's husband is my orthopedic surgeon - he's absolutely the best & most wonderful!  Had I known his wife was an MO I might have gone with her.

• allydp
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Macy! I saw Dr. Bensenhaver for my 2nd opinion at UofM! If I wasn't so in love with my current BS at St. Joe's (Dr. Kulick), I would've switched. She was great and really took her time with my appointment. She also told me that if I ended up needing rads, I would not be able to do recon for 6 months after the BMX. She said it's too risky to the implants…shrinking, infections, etc. My BS at St. Joe's disagreed with that school of thought and feels it's too conservative of approach…that the risks are minimal when compared to having a second surgery at a later date. She mentioned that most universities take the conservative route. I ended up not needing rads, but had I did, to do recon right away or wait would have been a huge decision for me. I really do see valid points on both sides, so it would have been a tough choice. I have a feeling I would've waited since I'm a play it safe kind of gal. 

Hi Nancy, thanks so much! I cannot wait for spring. There was a bird chirping outside my window early this morning as I was waking up. It was such a tease and for a second, it felt like spring…aaah. That is such a coincidence about Dr. Beekman's hubby being your orthopedic surgeon! I just love her. She has twice now called me on her personal time to discuss my chemo, which I greatly appreciate. 

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2014
    Options

The arrival of spring made my chemo south easier to endure; being outside in the sun was so helpful for my spirits.  Are you half way through AC right now?  

those Beekman's are pretty amazing - he cut short his vacation plans to operate on my broken wrist, then called us a couple of times on his vacay to check in.  I really do love my MO's office here; her husband is just down the hall, I'm sad she's not here!

• allydp
    edited March 2014
    Options

Oh wow, he sounds like an amazingly compassionate doctor! That is wonderful! I'm actually only one chemo in so far. I have ACx3 and Tx12 left. I tolerated the first one really well though and so I'm hoping it wasn't just beginner's luck. :) I know what you mean about the sun. I can't wait to get out and take some walks. I work from home (accounting) which gives me a bit of cabin fever in the winters. 

• Macy
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Ally, thanks for your reply; it is really interesting...and you have a lovely profile picture! I was floored by the 6 month waiting period after rads. I haven't even started rads yet and yes, I have to have them. I'm not even sure that I will do implants. I may decide on the DIEP. I just don't know yet. I can understand some healing time but 6 months? Hmmm, maybe I need to check around a bit more. If anyone has suggestions about a good PS anywhere in MI, I'm all ears. I may do a few consultations before I decide. I know next to nothing about plastic surgery other than what I read online. Never saw myself as a plastic surgery kind of girl . 

• Macy
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thanks for the link, Girlstrong. Maybe I should also be considering a TRAM instead of just a DIEP. Oh, I'm so confused! 

Ally, I hope chemo is going well for you. You will get through it, for sure! I just finished my last treatment this week! 

• Dulcigirl
    edited March 2014
    Options

Macy,

Not sure where you live, but I love my PS.

Dr. Michael Meininger at Somerset Plastic Surgery in Troy.

And I sure hear you!! A year and a half out and I still feel weird saying "my plastic surgeon." 

• Stix
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi ally...did you decide who you are going to? 

• allydp
    edited March 2014
    Options

Macy, thanks so much for the sweet compliment. Congrats to you on finishing chemo! And I wish you all the best in your upcoming decisions with surgery. Seems like this journey is full of decisions…like we don't have enough on our minds! 

Stix, I found out my BS is recommending Dr. Daniel Sherick. He's with St. Joe's, out of a group called Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Ann Arbor. He specializes in breast reconstruction, but I can't seem to find much info online about him. Has anyone heard of him? 

Also, quick question for you all. My friend had breast cancer last year and told me about a really interesting way they controlled her pain the first week after surgery. She had two little needles inserted in her lower back, like an epidural, that were attached to what she called a red balloon. That red balloon slowly deflated over the first week and her epidural eventually wore off. She said she had no pain whatsoever until that thing deflated. I want that and plan on asking for it, but I'm not sure how common something like that is. Has anyone ever heard of that type of pain management?  

Oh, and I agree about it being extremely weird having a PS. Never in a million did I think I'd have fake boobs. But as they say, the real ones tried to kill me!