Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Michigan Ladies?

Options

Comments

• The1toC
    The1toC Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    Options

Sapphyre:

I just looked up for Flint and found at McLaren the Breast cancer coordinator:

Kristin Chevrette, 

RN, BSN, OCN
    Phone: 810.342.3850
    Fax: 810.342.3833
    E-mail: kristinc@mclaren.org

Also, there is a support group meeting twice monthly - lucky you!

FacilityMcLaren Flint
    TitleWomen's Cancer Support Group
    CategorySupport Groups
    OngoingYes
    Time3:00:00 PM - 4:30:00 PM
    LocationMcLaren Cancer Institute Flint, 4100 Beecher Rd
    Flint, MI 48532
    Person/Phone
    Cost/Feefree
    DescriptionSupport Group for women who have faced or are facing cancer. Meets the first and third Wednesday of every month.Click here to view the flyer.
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hugs ((((Sapphyre)))). We are glad you found our wonderful community of lovely people. 

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2014
    Options

Sapphyre - welcome! I live about a half hour south of you in Hartland. I'm so sorry you're going through this alone. Our group here might be small, but please check in as often as you'd like, and feel free to PM me anytime you want or need to chat. I think the support groups are a wonderful idea too. No one should feel alone during this journey. What kind of breast cancer do you have? Tell us a little more about yourself. :)

The1 - so glad surgery went well and things are looking good! My aunt and uncle live in Petoskey, but I haven't been up there in years. I remember jumping the break wall as a kid, so that might be something fun for your DD to do. 

Well, recovery is still going well. I've got some wicked bruising on my right breast that freaks me out, but I had a post-op with my BS today and she said all looks good. On another note, I'm having some back pain for which my BS is sending me for a bone scan on Monday. She's sure it's nothing, but just wants to cover the bases. I'm sure it's nothing too, but you know how it goes, worry is creeping in. I'm staying positive though and looking forward to the weekend! 

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! xo

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi

Petoskey is great. If you can go to Harbor Springs. Very close to Petoskey and you can have lunch on the water.  Wonderful. Love the area. 

Sapphyre- Sorry you have to join us. It really SUCKS. You will get through it- I promise. Ask any questions- we are a small group- but that is good.... because then you don't get lost in the shuffle of people.

1A- Glad your surgery went well.

Allydp:  I had back pain also on both - had mx. of each side at different times- back discomfort both times.  It was more life scapular pain- the entire scapular area.... I think it was from the muscle being stressed and the implant being manipulated behind it. Where is your back discomfort? Upper? lower? etc.  Glad to hear they are being very thorough on you- I am sure it will turn out fine.

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited September 2014
    Options

hi all, met with my MO today at two weeks PFC.  Finally darting to feel a it better.  Even worked out today.  When my muscles scream tomorrow I will not complain.  It will be a good pain, normal pain that life is getting back to normal.  Ok, so hat is normal?

Everything went well with MO and I got my script for tamoxifen.  One surprise... He is sending me to Ann Arbor for a radiologist consult.  We had been talking all along no rads required because of my BMX and I have my exchange surgery scheduled for Oct 29.  He said he is 90% sure the answer would be NO but because I am young (52, lol!) and premenopausal he wants to be doubly sure.  Patience, agility and one day at a time, right?

Marissa, my PS told me last week that he is moving to Sientra rounds.  The new gummy bears ( he didn't call them tummies but that is what I read). Cohesive gels and less capsular contracture.  I also read that they have upper pole fullness.  From what I have read overall I am comfortable going in that direction if that is where we land at my pre op in October.

1toc, my ps is looking at fat grafting, too.  Not sure if it will be during exchange or after.  Mine will be from abdomen.  I said take as much as you want!  Take all 12 lbs I have gained with chemo pause.  It is all in my belly anyway and I won't complain!  He did say that if I was seriously going to lose the weight that he would wait until after.  I want to have it off before surgury.  Wish me will power!

Sapphyre, sorry you have to join us.  Let us know how we can help.  Pm if you just want to talk.

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited September 2014
    Options

hi Ann, keep us posted about rads. If you have to do it, it's sooooo much easier than chemo . The biggest problem is driving there every.single.day . Pain in the buns for sure. I think that spellcheck (such a pain sometimes) did something to your last post. So are you leaning towards gummies? At this point that is where I'm headed. I guess it has a lowest overall complication rate, lower incidence of capsular contracture, low incidence of "rippling" ...I guess I'm just trying to come to terms with the "firmness" factor. Anybody have thoughts in this?? 

• mmtagirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

Marissa, yes gummies not tummies, lol!  He didn't call them gummies but they are the new cohesive gels.

As long as they are softer than these TEs I have had in for 8 months I think I will be fine with the firmness. 

Good luck to you and your exchange!

• Stix
    edited September 2014
    Options

My revision is hanging too much near the arm pit...almost like it is dragging off to the side. I noted after surgery it was pulling g in that direction.  Anyone have this happen? I still need the revision of the scar...so maybe that will pull the implant more medial? 

• pluckyducky
    pluckyducky Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    Options

I'm new.  I was recently diagnosed with 5mm DCIS, high grade comedo necrotic.  I had an MRI and it showed a diffuse area of 6cm highly suspicious tissue (this is basically my entire breast).  And 2 other foci on the other breast.  I think I'm looking at a mastectomy, possibly bilateral.  I'm going ahead with additional biopsies, including the SLNs.  I'm scared.  I like my oncologist.  I am hoping to meet a plastic surgeon soon at U-M.  I have heard good things about Momoh.  Does anyone have experience with the plastic surgeons at U-M?  I have been reading as much as possible online about people's experiences.  I feel shocked, and lost.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited September 2014
    Options

Welcome to Breastcancer.org, pluckyducky. We're sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us!

Besides sharing your experiences and learning from other members here at the boards, you may also want to take a look at the Breast Cancer 101section from the main site, which is designed to help you sort through all of the information on our site to find what is more relevant to you right now.

Also reliable information on DCIS—Ductal Carcinoma In Situ where you'll learn about symptoms,
    diagnosis, treatment, etc.

Possibly of interest too is the What Can You Tell Me About Sentinel Node Biopsy?

We hope this helps. Deep breaths and take it one stage at a time, we're here with you during this scary time. ((HUGS))

The
    Mods

• annika12
    annika12 Member Posts: 92
    edited September 2014
    Options

hi pluckyducky !!! I didn't have a mastectomy so can't help you there but wanted to tell you these ladies here will give you the support you are looking for :) One day at a time , ask lots of questions and bring someone along for extra listening ears !!

• The1toC
    edited September 2014
    Options

Pluckyducky welcome to the cancer club. Sorry you had to join.

I had DIEP with Dr Kozlow at Uof M. He is really excellent. Very respectful-i am a participant in the process and decision. He is a perfectionist but a realistic one. I chos him simply because he was in clinic the only day I was able to choose for appt. I was really impressed with my whole UofM experience.

I have also heard good reports about Dr mohmoh. I think he may have done more DIEPs but Dr Kozlow is I think every bit as good.

• Jo6202
    Jo6202 Member Posts: 165
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Pluckyducky,

I live in the middle of the mitt but my surgeon in Midland is referring me to a plastic surgeon at U of M. I am waiting on a name and date yet but surgeon said the best are at UofM.

• Stix
    edited September 2014
    Options

1toC and Allydp... how are you results coming. I hit the 3 month mark in about 3 weeks then I will post pics....  I WILL need more work. The implant has dropped too much...even with alloderm

• allydp
    edited September 2014
    Options

Plucky - I'm so sorry you're joining us, but welcome. I'm at St. Joe's Ann Arbor with Dr. Izenberg, but have also heard great things about U-M surgeons. I know things are a whirlwind right now, but once you find a surgeon and have a plan in place, you'll feel much better. Keep us posted. Hugs. 

Stix - I'm done with fills and just tried on bras the other day. I told my PS a small B and that's exactly what I am right now. I love it! Going from a DD (I'm 5'0"), these are perfect for my frame and my clothes fit so much better. But these TE's…they are the most uncomfortable contraptions on the planet. I've decided not to do rads, so thankfully I won't have them for as long as I thought. So far I'm extremely happy with Dr. Izenberg and how things are looking. He's gone above and beyond for me multiple times now with helping me seek out second opinions on doing rads and dealing with some rib pain I've been having. I only have a few issues to address at the exchange - raise my right breast a smidge, move them closer together a smidge, and fill in one small dent with some fat grafting. I'm so sorry your implant dropped. How frustrating since you used the alloderm! When do you think you'll do the revision? 

I have a question. I'm 6 weeks out now and I still don't have full range of motion back. I feel like there's no way that's going to happen as long as these TE's are in. It's like the pec muscle is too short - like trying to do the splits, but you're half way down and know there's just no way this is gonna happen... I read that unlike the implants, the TE's have to be tacked down, which causes the tightness. Is this true? Will I regain my range of motion after the exchange? 

• mmtagirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

Ally, trust me you will get full range of motion.  It takes some time.  I don't think I had it at 6 weeks after TE and I have had mine now for almost 9 months with full range of motion. Keep doing your gentle stretches.  It helps.  I don't know about the "tacking down of TE's. I haven't heard that one.  Wish I could say that after awhile you won't notice them but that is not true.  They will get more tolerable but will never be completely comfortable.

• Stix
    edited September 2014
    Options

Allydp- full range of motion takes time. They should have given you some exercises... I think one of them was called wall climbing. If they didn't give them to you then ask them if they have a booklet. 

Allydp- I am hoping to do the revision before the new year.  She wouldn't commit to anything on my 8 week visit. She agreed that it dropped too far to the side. She said it seemed like it was holding fairly well on the bottom.  Now its about and inch too much sag near the arm pit.  It almost dropped to b4 the revision- yet with more shape, but not too identical to the other. 

We will see. I may have to go to smaller implants, a pocket revision or a diep.  I could go a max of 100 cc less in my opinion....but the other side looks so good that I would hate to start over... but, I would get to take off most of tattoo which I don't particulary like on the side.   Anyway, I am going to send my pics to Wippemom with my measurements and see what she says.  I am almost 5 foot 10 with a  thin build- yet not anorexic.  Glad you are doing Well!  When is your exchange???

• mmtagirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

Stix, remind me again of your PS and what type of recon you are doing?

On a separate  note, were any of you at the MSU game today?  I saw a woman tailgating today with a Spartan scarf on her head that looked so familiar.  I thought for sure from BCO.  Tried to find her again before the game to find out where she got her headwrap but didn't connect.  If you were her....you rocked!

• Stix
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi.

My original implant exchange was by another surgeon... the implant fell towards the armpit- I had alloderm in stage 1 yet not at exchange. I did not go back to him because he was an ass. He asked me and got in my face and  rudely said, " do you know that you had  mastectomies " when I told him the reconstruction didn't look right... (2013 mx/ with reconst) I also had the other side in 10 which recons. went ok) He blew up at me a total of two times  in the office.  I am not a very emotional person - I have a hard outer shell... I did seek someone else. Nobody needs to be treated that way.

My revision was with studdinger... it looks better but still falling toward the armpit. and lower than than other side at the bottom.  So in summary it has dropped too much even with alloderm. I also had  two  2nd opinion  one with sherbert (beaumont)  and one with Wilkins ( u of m) prior to Studdinger. Wilkins  wanted to take the extra skin away from the breast (because the imf was too low) - and he said the pocket was too big. Wilkins was going to due this by  cutting  out the extra skin at the horizontal fold which would lengthen my incision 1.5 inches on one side and 1 inch on the other side of the scar. Sherbert wanted to put in sutures and Studdinger raised my IMF in which they are now even- yet the implant still fell too much and the shape is off- yet better than the original P.S.

I hope that makes sense. Either way- whatever studdinger suggests i am still going to get a second opinion. Also, I went to studinger b/c she was going to do my surgery the same way as Dr. DellaCroce was going to do it in New Orleans- I also sent my pictures to him.

, i have grown so much and learned so much about people and life in general through this process. I am glad I am cancer free. My 5 years cancer free will be in April 1 2015. Its been a long process with  a mx for cancer and then 1.5 years later they found atypical in the other breast that is not cooperating with reconstruction of the implant. In summary- I still remain an optimist and  know  I have so much going on in my life than this and so much to be grateful for! :)

• mmtagirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

Wow, stix, you have been so much.  I can understand your complete exhaustion from dealing with recon for so long.   I am tired of it in only 9 months.  Was at U of M this week for another opinion on rads.   Thought I was past the decision making process must i guess I still need to decide. Tough one but leaning toward yes which will delay and potentially compromise my exchange surgery.  Will make my decision by end of the week so I can tell my PS Oct 6. 

I don't know anything about your doctors but I think I privately pm'd you awhile back on one that friend of mine used.  I think a second opinion isn't out of the question. So far I have been fortunate.  I like the way I look in my TEs and was looking forward to the implants.  Not beautiful, but, perkier and smaller than the originals which is what I wanted.

• The1toC
    edited September 2014
    Options

Stix - thanks for asking. Recovery after stage 2 of DIEP going very well. Am now 4 weeks out and back to all of my usual activites and more.  still feel a tiny bit bruised on thighs but nothing visible. Have been out rollerblading (8miles on Friday was a bit too much) 

and today had the best beach day of summer with kayaking with friends and family (being paddled by DD) and playing at the beach until after 7pm. Fantastic!

The first one to two weeks I was disappointed with the whole business but now I am once again thrilled. like the size, like the scars, like how am now able to do so much more in my life and enjoy kayaking and rollerblading. Still have a tiny bit to go to even out the right side and have booked NOv 4th. for that. I expect will be the final step and am SO happy. wish for no snow to cause flight delays. (Not going to drive for this one b/c snow potential, and Gaylord has it's own weather pattern which we could very well get stuck in.)

• Stix
    edited September 2014
    Options

1 to c those are some great pics. Yep you did  PM me on something.  We're you referring to the recording message?  If I were you I would pick whichever choice decrease s  your chance of reoccurrence. I was lucky....i did not.need radiation nor chemo... but the  reconstruction can be a nightmare. .. Ideally it would have been better to have a bilateral at one time. ALL of my  opinions discouraged it... u of m and two beaumont physicians. .. statistically my chances of getting  abnormal it in the other breast was significantly Low . Unfortunately I was an outlier  in  those statistics. Also.. I only had a .4 percent (not 4 percent.... point 4 per cent)  on the Gail model when I put myself in b4 the cancer. So in summary 1 to c  I would be as cautious as possible...  .

• Stix
    edited September 2014
    Options

1 to c... who is doing your diep.... i can't remember. ...

• Stix
    edited October 2014
    Options

How is it going Ally?

• The1toC
    edited October 2014
    Options

stix sorry didn't mean to ignore you just forgot to look for awhile.

Dr. Kozlow at u of m is my wonderful DIEP surgeon and of course his team.

• Stix
    edited October 2014
    Options

Are your pics on the forum....i would like to see his work... thanks

• The1toC
    edited October 2014
    Options

i have accessed the forum once but have no idea how to get back to it-suggestions appreciated. So no photos yet but good intentions. Also I am not finished yet. Will have fat grafting on Nov5 which I hope is the end.

• allydp
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Stix, things are going well. I have much more range of motion now, although I'm still not at 100%. I'm hoping I get it all back after the exchange. The TE's are still uncomfortable, but I'm back to doing most everything I was before. I still couldn't do a push up or something like that though. My pecs are still finicky. I'm having a hysterectomy next week due to having the BRCA2 gene and my exchange is scheduled for Dec 8. My PS wants to use the Allergan 410's on me, the anatomical gummies, but I don't think I'm on board. I've heard they don't have very good projection. I'm going small, 300 cc (B cup), so I have to be careful not to look too flat. My main goal is to have a natural look though, so I don't know. It's such a tough decision! 

How are you doing? 

• Stix
    edited October 2014
    Options

Great to hear things are going well. Just so you know I couldn't do a push up after my 2010 mx... or ever since that time... i think that is pretty normal. I am posting pictures this weekend. I have bottomed out.... at least I think  what happened. .. My p.s.gave me several options... i have a second opinion next week

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited October 2014
    Options

Stix - Sad Sorry they are bottoming out.  I was so hoping this last surgery was the charm for you.  Glad you are off for a second opinion.  You need to check out my PS in Grand Rapids!  He is worth the drive!