Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Michigan Ladies?

Options

Comments

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited April 2014
    Options

I don't know dr. Izenberg. I just consulted with rebecca studinger. ....

• Stix
    edited April 2014
    Options

I like w their website

• xtina
    xtina Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi Michigan ladies!   Haven't been on the boards in a while, came on to look for info re: tattoo artists in MI and ran across this post.

My 2 year cancerversary is June 13.  I used BS Dr. Jennifer Kulick with St. Joe's in Ann Arbor/Chelsea, and PS Dr. Daniel Sherick in Ann Arbor/Chelsea.  I could not have been happier with the care, treatment and results that I received from both.  They are working together with breast cancer patients, and I found that to be particularly helpful.  From the comments that other patients and health care staff (like nurses, etc) had made, one seems to really know what the other is doing, they like working together, and for me that lead to great results.

I had a lumpectomy, but had reconstruction on both breasts the same day for symmetry (had a reduction/lift as I had previously lost like 100 lbs) - had fantastic results.

My RAD is Dr. Hennig with St. Joe's in Brighton, MI - equally as excellent treatment.  The RAD techs there are great, and made the process as good as it could be.  The RAD techs even commented several times on how great things looked, and asked me for the deets on the BS and PS I used for their records.

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited June 2014
    Options

Xtina, welcome! My breast surgeon and rad onc are also Dr. Kulick and Dr. Henning! Dr. Kulick has been amazing and is why I chose St. Joe's in the first place. I'm using Dr. Izenberg for reconstruction in August. He's in the same group as Dr. Sherick. So glad you're pleased with your results! 

Who is your onc if you don't mind me asking? I'm with Dr. Beekman out of St. Joe's Ann Arbor. She's a little busier than I'd like, but has been great and I'm very happy with the care I've received so far. 

• xtina
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi Ally!

My Onc is Tareq Al-Baghdadi - St. Joe's - he's in AA some days and in Brighton some days, so I see him in Brighton.  I don't have to see him very often though, I started Tamoxifen, was on it for several months, but couldn't stand it and went off of it (which we discussed together).  My cancer was non-invasive so no chemo.  People really seem to like him, they all call him "Big Daddy" which makes me laugh.

Being here in Howell, I tried to find some physicians to work with who I could see in town, like for rad and onc.  It's like you have to go so often, you just can't be driving down to AA or Chelsea all of the time - yikes!  LOL!  I don't mind the drive down there quarterly though to see Dr. Kulick. 

Is your surgery going to be in AA or Chelsea?  I had mine done at Chelsea and really had a great experience - it's smaller than AA and that's nice.  All of the nurses were like "do it in Chelsea, do it in Chelsea, you'll love it"... I figured that they had to know something!

BTW your pic is adorable - you have a great smile!

• allydp
    edited June 2014
    Options

Xtina, thank you so much for the nice compliment! I love your pic as well! 

I live in Deerfield Township, just north of Hartland, still Hartland schools actually. So yeah, the drive to Brighton over Ann Arbor is so nice. I have weekly chemo and weekly IV fluids right in Brighton, which makes things so much easier. I've seen your onc's name in Brighton and have heard nothing but great things about him. How awesome you didn't need chemo! Since my tumor is triple negative, I'm not a candidate for hormonal therapies, but I've heard some nasty things about them. I don't blame you for discontinuing the Tamoxifen. 

I'm not sure where my surgery will be yet. I'm actually meeting with Dr. Kulick tomorrow to discuss the details and schedule it. Yikes! I'm more nervous for the surgery than anything. I can't imagine waking up with a new body lol. I did, however, have my port placement and sentinel lymph node biopsy in Chelsea and was very pleased with the care. Like you said, it's smaller and more intimate, which I really like. 

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited June 2014
    Options

Good (rainy) day to all my MI friends!  Finally got caught up on our home thread. I have not had MX or any reconstruction, but did have surgery.  I live on Jackson - smack dab in the middle of Lansing, A2 and Kzoo.  We are lucky, however, to have awesome options in our own backyard.  Dr. Frantzis was my surgeon, and he's also head of the tumor board.  He has been an amazing and supportive resource, and really encouraged me to be educated and proactive.  My MO is Dr. DeSousa thru Allegiance Health.  I cannot say enough good things about this oncology practice - they are patient and kind but also highly educated about BC.  We worked together as a team, truly; when my Oncotype came back high we worked together to create a new treatment plan.  When I chose not to take tamoxifen we discussed the implications but they left the ultimate decision up to me.  I was able to do rads in Jackson, too, though our RO is an offshoot of UM.  

I don't believe there is a PS in town, tho.  Everyone I know has gone to A2 for any PS.  

I just wanted to ensure that anyone from my area doesn't feel they have to go somewhere else for incredible care - it's nice to have options!

• Stix
    edited June 2014
    Options

I am having a revision surgery with dr. Studinger, Rebecca in July... wish me Luck! 

She is a new PS for me

I will post how it goes...

• annika12
    annika12 Member Posts: 92
    edited June 2014
    Options

the cancer in me was hormone neg. but I was still suggested tamoxifen by all 3 of my doctors :( Been on it for 3 months now and doing good :)

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited June 2014
    Options

hi Annika12: if you dint mind me asking...why did your docs recommend Tamixifen if your hormone negative? Never heard of that but am interested , I have a similar diagnoses as you. 

• Stix
    edited June 2014
    Options

I was er pr negative also. One said I could go on it. The other said that he would not put me on it due to possible side effect/ adverse effects and there is no literature that says that It would benefit me..

• xtina
    edited June 2014
    Options

Ally - I hope your apt with Dr. Kulick went well! 

I know, surgery can be so nerve-wracking. You just have to know that you'll get through it and that you'll handle it, because you can and you will.  I'm usually such a worry wart (literally about everything), but somehow I just flipped a switch in my brain and decided not to worry about it.  Maybe it's because I felt it would be too overwhelming to worry at the rate I normally do, maybe it was just that I decided that I was going to handle whatever happened and there was no point worrying until xyz was actually happening.  I don't know - the brain has amazing ways of coping.

I don't even really remember most of it.  I remember waiting in the pre-op area, I brought my Ipod shuffle, my tablet and DH.  That was really all I needed.  The music really helped. Afterwards - sleepiness and nausea!  The best advice someone else gave me for post op was to bring a bag of hard candy to suck on , because there is a giant amount of throat soreness after - sooooo glad that I had those with me! The recovery is so surreal too - you're all wrapped up with this terrible mesh surgery underwear and this sort of corset thing that goes over your torso and chest, which of course the nurses have to open every so often to  change your dressings and empty drains and such, and they're just there like perusing you and commenting about "what great work" the surgeons did. Like not in a bad way, very complimentary and kind, but still weird! I mean hello! 

It is sort of weird to see yourself for the first time.  I thought I'd be frightened but I really wasn't, by that point I just wanted to see what everything looked like, plus it's a part of me now and I've always loved and accepted all of me and I wasn't about to change that (ugh that probably sounds really cliché).

• njmae
    njmae Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Options

I had the team of Jennifer Kulick and Dan Sherick.  Very happy with the results.  I had the BMX with immediate reconstruction (TRAM) in March.  I can do the nipples anytime I want but will probably wait until sweater weather.  I have been slaving away in my garden in Ann Arbor and have had no problems. Sherick says my body will say "when" so I have no set restrictions.  The oncologist said she has noted that the TRAM patients she has seen actually have had as good or better cosmetic results than the DIEP.  That was good to hear as I was not a candidate for DIEP.  I also had my surgery at Chelsea.  It is much cozier than St. Joe.  The biggest problem I had was with navel healing, but it is now perfect!  I have no issues heartily endorsing Jennifer Kulick and Dan Sherick.

• minnielee
    minnielee Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2014
    Options

I was diagnosed in April with early breast cancer .I will meet with the team on Thursday  my doctor say I will need 7 weeks of radiation after.lumpectomy . Iam terrified.  Also do   you  get  breast reconstruction with an lu

• minnielee
    minnielee Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2014
    Options

Me too and I don't understand all of this .please someone help. 

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited June 2014
    Options

hi Minnie, were all here to help. You will understand more once you get your pathology report etc. From what you posted, it does seem like early breast cancer that doesn't need chemo?? If this is true, rads and lumpectomy are doable. You can do this. Keep asking questions :)

• Jo6202
    Jo6202 Member Posts: 165
    edited June 2014
    Options

Minnielee,

Hi, I had a lumpectomy last August and scar didn't look too bad. Then pathology report came back that I did not have clear margins so had to have a re-excision in Sept. So more tissue was removed and now I have a sideways nipple and an ugly puckering and can't fill up my bra on the surgery side so asked about reconstruction and was told to wait at least a year after radiation as radiation can cause swelling at first and then shrinking of the breast. I finished radiation mid- December and my surgeon said she will recommend a plastic surgeon at my next appointment in July but that I may want to just get a consult at that time and wait a while longer for surgery as I am still dealing with a Seroma ( fluid accumulation where lump was removed).  Everyone is different  and has different outcomes depending on where and how much tissue is removed, healing time and follow up treatment. My tumor was against my chest wall so surgeon had to go deep. I had a non- cancerous lumpectomy near the surface of my skin about 25 years ago and have just a tiny scar and needed nothing further. My advice is try not to get ahead of yourself with worry. Your team will help you as they know more after your surgery and pathology report comes back. Best of luck. Hope this helped. 

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited June 2014
    Options

Minnie, hope you are doing ok and got the information you needed from your team yesterday.  Thinking of you!

• Stix
    edited July 2014
    Options

My surgery is coming up soon with studdinger. .hopefully she gives me a new positive direction. .. will post ....more to come

• Tamiami
    Tamiami Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2014
    Options

Good luck stix!

• allydp
    edited July 2014
    Options

Wishing you all the best, Stix! Keep us posted! 

• Stix
    edited July 2014
    Options

Thanks All- for your wishes.

Ally, Will let you know more about tattoos soon ! Have not emailed Earleen again yet!

More to come.... Hopefully all good... Keep you posted!  :)

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited July 2014
    Options

good luck, stix. Keep us posted!

• Stix
    edited July 2014
    Options

thanks!

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited July 2014
    Options

Wishing you the best stix!  Good luck!  

• Stix
    edited July 2014
    Options

thanks

• Stix
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hooraaayyy.. So nice to get it over with.  Completed my  revision surgery with Rebecca  Studdinger. She is an incredibly nice doctor.  Will keep you posted on the outcome!Nerdy

• Stix
    edited July 2014
    Options

My second day postop for the implant revision. Feeling better. Finally got over some insomnia and slept a lot yesterday and throughout the night last night. Feeling pretty good. 

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited July 2014
    Options

Glad to hear it Stix!  Keep resting and taking care of yourself!  Have you peeked yet?SillyHeart

• Stix
    edited July 2014
    Options

I have. The first day the implant seemed pretty high. Today it seems like it dropped quite a bit except near the sternum.  If it drops too much more I will be worried.  I am almost afraid to look...  does anyone know if alloderm is used if the drop is milder when alloderm is not used? My surgeon said I have a 10 percent chance of the alloderm no being able to hold the implant