Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Moving On......After the Flap

Options

Comments

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited January 2015
    Options

We are having blackeyed peas and cornbread so 2015 will be filled with good luck.

Happy New Year to y'all

• jmb5
    jmb5 Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2015
    Options

In NE Ohio we eat pork and sauerkraut for good luck. Put it in the crock pot last night and now my house smells like farts. Loopy

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited January 2015
    Options

jmb thank you for reminding me why I made chicken this year. hahahaha I am seriously about as mature as a six grader but your comment made me laugh out loud.

• jmb5
    edited January 2015
    Options

enjoy, Lol! Me too! That must be why I enjoy teaching (substitute) middle schoolers.

• Teacher64
    edited January 2015
    Options

jmb5 - so glad we had blackeyed peas rather than sauerkraut!! I taught 7th and 8th grade for year. The humor was right on target. Good laugh but I still love being retired

• jmb5
    edited January 2015
    Options

Teacher, it takes a special person to teach 7th and 8th graders full time. I really enjoy subbing at our middle school (6-8 grade), but am thankful I don't have to do it every day.

• Teacher64
    edited January 2015
    Options

jmb5-I finally graduated from middle school and spent 12 years teaching 9th and 11th graders, but then Igot really smart and retired!!

• jmb5
    edited January 2015
    Options

Lol, Teacher. I have people ask me all the time when I'm going back full time. (I'm 46.) My answer is always never. I love the kids, but hate the politics. All my teacher friends are so stressed out and unhappy because of what the state is making them do. So for now, I sub when I want, and use it as an opportunity to encourage the kids and the teachers and help make their day a little better. My patience level isn't what it was before surgery though, so I don't sub as much as I used to. I've been feeling down... trying to process all that's happened this past year. Really wish I could sit my butt at a beach for about a month and get away from the cold Ohio winter.

• Teacher64
    edited January 2015
    Options

jmb5 - I taught for 36 years. We live in a small town now and I've been asked if I'd consider subbing. My response is a resounding NO! Two years ago I had foot surgery and an unexpected heart surgery and thought I was home clear only to be slapped upside the head with the bc diagnosis. My time is too precious. Tomorrow I'm going to teach a crochet class at the Cancer Support Center and that's the only teaching I want to do. I'm with you about a month on a beach because its been in 20s-40s here.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hang on jmb! That cold Ohio winter is about to get worse tomorrow

• jmb5
    edited January 2015
    Options

Oh Zenful, it's just bitter out there tonight. My kids are hoping for a snow day tomorrow... chance of 4-6 inches and below zero windchills in NE Ohio. Yippee!!

Teacher, that sounds perfect! :)

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited January 2015
    Options

JMB,

As far as healthy diet, I am intrigued by nutrition but still haven't settled into an ironclad formula. MyFitnessPal app is great for caloric reduction but I mean to say I am not 100% sure which foods are truly anti-inflammatory thus healthier etc, since there are so many pros and cons even among medical articles. I try to eat much smaller portions now and more vegetables than previously and try not to cook the snot out of them. I also am making myself walk like a lunatic since I am very sedentary at work. I like quinoa. I buy organic chicken at Costco or other places I trust, and rarely eat beef. I stopped doing as much when daylight savings time and dark at 5 pm started, sad to say. I am also trying to drink more water, classically have not done that either. Meeting with onco soon about Femara and options, so determined to get healthier between now and then, not that I was swilling in the trough over Christmas....

Stress reduction is so important for me right now too, I told my bipolar brother off in a nice Christ-like manner and I feel lighter than air. While I have more sympathy for the disease than anyone I am not going to tolerate his manipulation any more with his threats. Geesh if I ate every time he stressed me out over my lifetime I would weigh 500 lbs. I also looked at my 2015 schedule and took regular interval "happy days" off to defuse the stress. He actually wrote me back and said he realized he was expecting me to be Mom (who passed away) and that he needs to assume responsibility for his disease as well. (music to my ears)

I don't have it all together by any means but might as well try to do my best to be and eat healthy. For me it is much easier now that the husband waltzed into the kitchen this AM lamenting he was "a fatty" with his weight up to what my goal weight is. I resisted sending him "THE LOOK".... skinny men! gah! So at least he is onboard with the healthy foods.

Best wishes everyone. We can do this.

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi all, I am really having a hard time getting back to my normal levels of energy. I still slow down and hit the wall midway through the week. My job requires my brain to function at a high level, and I fear I am not up to this right now. I live alone, and at 52 yr way too young to retire. My belly is still swollen, and it is hard. None of my professional clothes fit. It is such a chore to get out of bed, and feel ready to attack the day. Any words of encouragement would help. Thank you. lis

• Ridley
    Ridley Member Posts: 95
    edited January 2015
    Options

LiLi - have you had blood work done lately. I found out my iron had dropped by about half a few months ago. I was still feeling very tired, and was not sure if it was from themultiple surgeries, tamoxifen, effexor, some combination of those or something else. Still not sure, but I started an iron supplement and am feeling better, although not back to 100%.

• LiLi-RI
    edited January 2015
    Options

Ridley: Thank you so much for responding! I have an appointment tomorrow with PCP. I will ask her to order some blood work! This process has sucked the life out of me -- with exceptional individuals on this board! I am just having a rough day! On to the Golden Globes. Lis

• Rubiayat
    Rubiayat Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2015
    Options

I agree with Ridley that blood work is a good idea, just to make sure. I was also still very tired several months post MX and flap reconstruction and thought I might have adrenal fatigue. My oncologist did blood work and everything came back normal. She told me that is not surprising that I was still tired, my body had been through a huge ordeal. My job also requires a lot of mental energy and I still have problems with my memory and concentrating seven months later, which I think may be lingering effects of the anesthesia. I've read it could take a year to go away.

Be gentle with yourself LiLi, it takes time for your body to completely heal. Cut out what isn't necessary and build up your immune system. You will get back to your normal self:)

I never imagined it would take so long to feel normal again!

• jmb5
    edited January 2015
    Options

A good multivitamin might help with fatigue also. :)

• Zenful
    edited January 2015
    Options

So good to hear from you, Bosom. Not many of the old-timers post here anymore. I'm sorry I don't remember your journey, but it sounds like it has been challenging. I am sending you warm hugs. I hope you are on the road to better things.

• LiLi-RI
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi BB: I am still here too! I am still having issues, but I continue to push through the process and pain. I am so happy to hear that you will get the reconstruction paid by Medicaid. I hope that you never feel like you can't post somewhere! I am here for you. Lis

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hey, BosumBlues, nice to see you posting here!  Bailey is doing very well, just started back to school Monday for a dream master's degree.  We're so proud of her! 

There are a lot of us old-timers who don't post much here anymore, but share our sisterhood nevertheless. 

Best of luck with your recon, no matter how it's done.  You can do this...like you said, baby steps.

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited January 2015
    Options

Bosom - Glad to hear that you are doing well and will be able to continue the reconstruction process. I had fat grafting in October and so far I still have about 75% of the fat transferred. Good luck on you journey.

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2015
    Options

BB, this continues to be such a long journey for you! You and I had our first surgeries the same week way, way back... it seems like a lifetime ago. I am seeing my PS for a check-up on Monday and we'll discuss tidying up my ab scar, but I am so ready to not be a patient any more! I only pop in here every couple of weeks, but I hope you'll stay in touch! xxxxx

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited January 2015
    Options

It's great to see some of the not-so-olders timers here! Seeing all these familiar names makes me realize how much I miss the class of 2013. Happy New Year to everyone - I hope it's fantastic.

• Zenful
    edited January 2015
    Options

I guess for me, "moving on" means checking in and chiming in once in a while.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited January 2015
    Options

Me too, Zenful.  I'm so happy to see the next years' folks happy, healing, and moving on!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2015
    Options

Checking in on occasion...chiming in..not so much, but the class of 2013 is alive and doing well. Hope things finally get going down the road towards "done" for you too BB.

• norita19
    norita19 Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi Nihahi,

How are you doing?

• Teacher64
    edited January 2015
    Options

I have six month post stage 2 check up this week and plan to ask why I still have a firm bulge on my right side. It's gone down lots but still bothers me

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm getting back on the surgical table in March for my ab scar tidy-up. Then probably have some fat grafting after summer vacation to improve the shape of the girls. Does this merry-go-round actually stop at some point?