Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Moving On......After the Flap

Options

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2014
    Options

Wow, Facebook! I was wondering where you all had gone. At minus 23, I wouldn't even make it out of a warm bed to the treadmill. You have my deepest sympathies!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2014
    Options

Ha Marty....I did the treadmill, then got so bored this afternoon I bundled up and went for a walk. Wasn't bad at all....once your face is numb you relax and enjoy it Winking!

• jmb5
    jmb5 Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2014
    Options

Ahhh... I found all of you girls!! I was missing not seeing any familiar names on the DIEP thread.

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2014
    Options

You will find some of us here, jmb

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hello jmb5! Glad you are "moving on".

• jmb5
    edited November 2014
    Options

Just shared this on the DIEP board and wanted to share here too. I finally feel like I really am moving on...

Good news on the lump I found a few weeks ago. My PS looked over the pictures of the ultrasound I had last week and said not to worry at all. She's sure it's an oil cyst from all the fat she injected. She said fat necrosis is very common after the fat grafting and usually shows up soon after. She said it will go away on it's own. It already feels smaller. No need for further imaging! Yay!! My PS is the sweetest lady. She is so caring, and spends a lot of time talking and doesn't act rushed like so many other doctors. She told me this year for me is almost over and gave me a big hug. She is excited that I'm getting tattoos at Vinnie's, and said I HAVE to come back afterwards so she can take a picture. I laughed and said she is the only person in the world who can say she wants a picture of my breasts and it's not weird. Haha! So this will be the longest I go without a doctor appointment. I will see her in late April, and then see my BS in the fall. It seems weird, but I am thrilled to be at the end. It's been almost 11 months since my DIEP. Hard to believe. Today I am meeting with my trainer for the first time since the surgery. I just struggled to work out before this. I think psychologically I want to protect my body, and the thought of working out makes me cringe. I know it will be good for me, and I told the trainer we need to start slow. I have a long way to go, but I'm up for it. After the new boobs and liposuction, my body actually looks pretty great, but I need to get toned up a little and I want my body to feel better.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2014
    Options

jmb...you sound wonderful!

If resuming training is a stressful thought for you, try maybe to replace it with the knowledge that being physically active on a daily basis is known to be one of the best weapons against recurrence, AND helps fight off many other non-bc health issues. You are so right in that "looking good" has little influence on actually being healthy.

Congrats on getting to this "place".....hope many of your fellow 2014'ers join you.

• andi44
    andi44 Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Donna, How long did it take you to get in to see Vinnie? I had my lat flap surgery in August and hoping to do my 'exchange' in a few weeks...I'm thinking that I want to go to Vinnie May/June - Did you have to make an appointment several months out? And, did you have both nips done or just one? I am in need of just the one on the left...I'm also thinking of doing some additional tattooing to cover the 'flap' scars and on my back - my incision line on my back is over a foot long and going vertically instead of horizontally – ugh !!!Andi
  • jmb5
    edited November 2014
    Options

Andi, I have an appointment with Trent at Vinnie's in April. (Vinnie is out March and part if April they said.) They won't do the tattoos until 5 months after your last surgery. There is about a 6 month waiting list, so if you know that's what you want, you should call and get on the schedule. It is $800 for bilateral, $600 for uni. You have to put half down when you make the appointment. Insurance usually covers some I'm told.

• MartyJ
    edited November 2014
    Options

Andi - you might want to consider giving the scars a good 2 years to fully mature. Several docs and my PT have all told me that many changes can still occur during the first 2 years. That could change the tattoo. Also, there are lasers that can flatten a scar and turn the color from pink to flesh. I have had it done and will be doing it again for my DIEP scars - especially those that are very easily visible (cleavage and back). I did get a bit confused - why are you having an exchange after a lat flap?

• andi44
    edited November 2014
    Options

Marty,

Thank you for for your opinion on waiting to get tattooed. I'm just anxious to get that scar, on my back, covered - it's over a foot long and vertical - and, I like wearing my swimming suits. As far as having a TE after my lat flap surgery, I've had a lot of reconstruction problems...The plastic surgeon put in my 3rd tissue expander to allow for healing and stretching of my new skin and muscle which was taken from my back...This whole reconstruction process has been a nightmare...The radiation therapy encapsulated my first expander and moved it out of place. And, it's been all downhill from there. Also from radiation, I am dealling with 2 areas of Basal skin cancer on that breast - if it's going to happen, it's going to happen to me...ugh !!! Hopefully next month with my 'exchange' I'll be on the flip side of this process... :)

Andi :)

• andi44
    edited November 2014
    Options

jmb5,

Thank you for the info on Vinnie - Yea, I heard his office is booked solid...I also heard a lady in Ft. Lauderdale that has studied with Vinnie - I may contact her office as well....(make a vacation out of it - as I have family in Fl)...After all the surgeries I've had on this one breast, I don't want any more, and when I found out how real the tatttoos' actually look, I was blown away and decided not to get the nipple reconstruction...

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2014
    Options

We are currently taking appointments....

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited November 2014
    Options

hi, I haven't been here in a long time. This school year has been demanding. I just had my 8th surgery and hopefully my last reconstruction! I had my diep scar repaired and liposuction to my breast and abdominal wound. Even though I've had lipo twice before, I forgot some things and my discharge instructions don't address it.

So, I'm wondering what your guidelines were for exercise ( walks) . I had a full lipo on my thighs and I just got to take off the compression put on after surgery. Did you keep wearing compression?

• jmb5
    edited November 2014
    Options

mamalou, my PS told me to wear compression constantly for 4 weeks. My inner thighs were super sore and bruised badly. The compression made them hurt less. She never mentioned any exercise restrictions, but I didn't feel like doing anything for several weeks.

• jmb5
    edited November 2014
    Options

mamalou, my PS told me to wear compression constantly for 4 weeks. My inner thighs were super sore and bruised badly. The compression made them hurt less. She never mentioned any exercise restrictions, but I didn't feel like doing anything for several weeks.

• Teacher64
    edited November 2014
    Options

mammalou - my PS said compression for 4 weeks, but it felt better longer. I swore by spanx then

• Teacher64
    edited November 2014
    Options

Today is 3D tattoo day. A lifelong friend said it is tittoo day

• andi44
    edited November 2014
    Options

Teacher - congrats on your journey - I'm sure you're glad its over..... :) and, I love that phrase "tittoo day"...

Andi

• Teacher64
    edited November 2014
    Options

Getting tattoos today was more emotional than I thought it would be. Cried when it was completed but they were happy tears. Right now they look like two pepperoni slices on my breasts but I know they will get better

• Shine14
    Shine14 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Options

Teacher your posts are so funny! I love the "tittoo day" and the pepperoni comment. I had my stage 2 Monday and am looking forward to nipples next year and tittoos some day. I imagine it was emotional. Congrats

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited November 2014
    Options

Teacher - Congratulations on crossing the finish line! I hope Santa brings you some beautiful lingerie for Christmas.

• andi44
    edited November 2014
    Options

Teacher, I guess I missed it in previous posts, did you go to Vinnie for the tattooing? I got a tattoo (on my forearm) and it took 2+ weeks to fully heal...I'm assuming that will be the case for you. I was told to use anti-bacterial soap 3 x daily and to use A & D ointment...And, I also echo Janet's response with hoping for you that Santa brings you beautiful lingerie...Congrats on the finale

• Teacher64
    edited November 2014
    Options

I did not go to Vinnie. My PS sent his med assistant who usually does the tattoos to 3D training. The teacher would tell her and show her how to do everything before Marie did the rest of the work. It looks kind of raw, which was why I said I have two pepperoni slices on my chest! I have bacitracin and another ointment to put on several times a day for the next week with instructions not to use soap. She told me to go topless as much as possible but it was COLD this morning. She reminded me that sun will fade the tattoos as if my nipples have ever seen sunshine

• MartyJ
    edited November 2014
    Options

Teacher - why do nipple tats fade in sunshine. Most people I have seen with tattoo sleeves, etc don't seem to have a fading problem. Is it the kind of ink?

• Teacher64
    edited November 2014
    Options

I was told that all tattoos eventually fade. Those that are black take on a more blue tone and reds lighten to a more rosy pink color. Since I've never had a tattoo, I'm going on her word. My tattoos still won't be seeing sunshine

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited November 2014
    Options

Congratulations Teacher on crossing the finishing line of reconstruction! I still need to decide if I have the strength to commit to Stage 2. I am so exhausted from these past two years. I hope to cross the finish in 2015!

• Teacher64
    edited November 2014
    Options

I am amazed about how much better the tattoos are already looking. By next weekend I will be back to using scar gel on the rest of the crop circle scars that weren't incorporated into then areola tats

• jmb5
    edited November 2014
    Options

Teacher, 2 pepperonis made me lol. :) I'm excited to get mine next April at Vinnie's. I hope they don't suggest I go topless. Haha.

• Teacher64
    edited November 2014
    Options

jmb5 - at least it will be warmer in April!