Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Moving On......After the Flap

Options

Comments

• jmb5
    jmb5 Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2015
    Options

lovevt... I had nipple reconstruction the first time, and fat grafting both times. The lipo hurt really bad for a few days and then I was still sore for probably a couple week on my legs. The lipo on my hips didn't hurt much, thighs was pretty brutal. I think I could have gone back to work after a week if I didn't have to be on my feet much. If you're on your feet a lot, I would say give it the two weeks.

• lovevt
    lovevt Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2015
    Options

jmb5 thank you for the info. I hVe a physical job on my feet...and using upper and lower body a lot so maybe I should plan for a little longer than I originally thought.

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited June 2015
    Options

My stage 2 fat grafting was to fill in what I called divots and make my breasts more shapely. My PS knew I did not want to be any larger and he did what I asked. Talk to your PS

• lovevt
    lovevt Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2015
    Options

teacher64

yes I have divots also especially on one side.  And the upper pole is quite flat can see the flap under my skin.  I will talk to the PS but what I hear from most FG doesn't add a lot to the size just filling in and making better shape.

• Tan72
    Tan72 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've been on BCO, hope everyone's day is going ok. I had my second phase 2 5 weeks ago to reduce the breast size and clean up the side boob area. Due to amount they took they also had to do another lift using the upside down T incisions, I had some minor openings under the breast during the last two surgeries, however, this time I have a deeper opening that is bleeding, did anyone else have this? It's about 2 inches long and maybe 1/2 inch deep, it also itches and is painful which the others were not. PS is 6 hrs away. I am using saline wash, triple antibiotic cream and dressing changes twice a day. My new insurance year starts July 1st and wanted to reach out to this group to see if I should pursue a local appt before then or if this is common (others have been through this) and just takes time to heal.

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited July 2015
    Options

Klanders hope things are going better at this time for you. I am sure it is hard for providers what with electronic medical records not all talking to each other but still, someone in her/his office should have gotten all the records so they were prepared for your visit. Yikes. Hopefully that first impression does not continue, U of M has such a great reputation and I hope you are happier with the subsequent visit!

jmb I know what you mean, my provider did not even look at my breasts during my physical which I thought was weird. And she was a doctor. So it isn't just the nurse practitioners who are still not knowledgeable about our procedure.

Teacher! my surgery buddy! Oh my gosh I hope your abdominal hernia is resolved, my goodness!

Tan, I am a big fan of Hibiclens to wash skin with short term to assist in infection prevention (if your surgeon allows that) but also I am not the least shy about asking my surgeon whenever something didn't seem right. As they say "it is why they make the big bucks".....

• The1toC
    The1toC Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2015
    Options

hi all!! I've been away for quite awhile...scanning only some of the previous posts...

job you had mentioned you were looking for some healthier snacks. I was just at a party where someone brought Mississippi Caviar and it was DELICIOUS! They had corn chips but it would go with lots of stuff. I searched the recipe but haven't made it yet.

It's nice to see some familiar gals and sounds like you're doing well. Yay!

• The1toC
    The1toC Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2015
    Options

darn auto correct!

jmb5 not job

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited July 2015
    Options

enjoyevrymoment-doing so much better. This one took a lot out of me but now at 8 weeks I don't have to crawl into bed and roll out! It was like diep recovery all over again! We just got back from a beach vacation. I'd hoped to be able to lay on a towel on the beach...not. I did enjoy sitting in he lounge under the umbrella so all was good.

Tan-I also used Hibiclens, at my dr's recommendation. Be sure to check with yours though

• Tan72
    Tan72 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2015
    Options

Enjoyeverymoment and Teacher thanks for the replies, hibiclens works well, down to just a small opening that I am hopeful will be gone soon, maybe even get to swim this summer. Yeah! Glad you are all doing well. Feels good to be getting into a good rhythm. Well wishes to all.

• ssteacher
    ssteacher Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    Options

I had bmx with immediate diep flap surgery on 7/17. Unfortunately they couldn't save my nipples. Has anyone had the nipple surgery? How do they make the nipple? What does it entail? Do they use local anesthesia or do I have to get knocked out? Recovery time? Sorry for all of the questions but I am trying to prepare myself for step 2. Thanks!!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited August 2015
    Options

steacher -

I had the same thing - bmx with immediate reconstruction, in the summer of 2013. Last year I got my new nipples.

It took 1 1/2 hours under a local anesthetic and they are fantastic! To be honest- I don't know how they did it. It was referred to as a 'sort of origami' process where they made in incision into the top of my breast and used the tissue to form the nipple. Totally painless.

I lay on my back in the exam room with my surgeon (who I love) on one side, and his intern on the other. They each did a nipple while we chatted about traveling, and comfortable footwear, and what it was like to be a doctor. I asked for a pillow for my head (for comfort) and I'd occasionally see the thread from a needle of some gauze or a scalpel. But mostly I just started lovingly at my surgeon.

I left the hospital with stitches and 'nipple protectors'. The stitches extended were about 1/2 inches and extended horizontally across the nipples. (stitches were taken out a few weeks later). I also had nipples protectors which I wore for six weeks. They were actually made from the bottom of small plastic cup, which the PS taped over each nipple. About the size of a quarter, and extend about 1/2 an inch deep. Every day I'd change my gauze and tape the nipple protector back on. (Eventually I lost one of them and used the top of a perrier bottle to protect my nipples instead).

I took a few days off work, but it wasn't necessary. I could have gone back to work the next day. If you're very physical - you may need to take it down a notch for a few days but I think everyone is different. Your PS can advise you about that. Also, I wasn't able to swim, but I did shower. And I slept on my back.

Initially I wasn't going to even get new nipples. I'd gotten used to smooth boobs and I didn't want anyone touching me with needles or knives. But my PS was gently encouraging, and said that women had been really happy with their results. And he was right. I felt so complete once I saw them and felt like I had all my bits back in place. And of all the surgeries I had, this was the most carefree.

Best of luck with your procedure. I hope you love having your new nipples as much as I do!

Janet

• ssteacher
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks so much Janet! You helped put my mind at ease. I was thinking I couldn't make it through another surgery! Now I am looking forward to getting my new nipples. Thanks again for responding so quickly!!

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2015
    Options

I had a nipple made from the skin they took from my stomach area and grafted on to my foob, during the mastectomy and diep reconstruction I had at the same time. It was explained to me that it was a bit like origami as well. It has come out really well and my daughter who is a painter and tattoo artist, tattooed the colour on the nipple and to make another areola for me. It was done about three months after the reconstruction surgery and I was put under for it. My PS did some tidy up at the ends of my hip to hip scar plus removed some excess skin from under the foob, so that may be why I was knocked out. The recovery was pretty minor compared to other surgeries. I protected the nipple with thick gauze pads with a hole cut in the middle. I haven't lost much projection at all. Good luck!

• ssteacher
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks Suzyblue. I guess I will find out more when I go to the ps this week. I am hoping I don't have to get knocked out. I am glad to hear it's just a minor surgery!!

• enjoyevrymoment
    edited December 2015
    Options

Did this board move? Is the last post really August 2015, wow.... Hope everyone is well!

• jmb5
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hey girls! Anyone around anymore? I'm having a little scare and could use the moral support. I was in the shower yesterday and found a little pea sized lump on the edge of my breast, near the armpit. I emailed my breast surgeon this morning and she wants to schedule me for an ultrasound. So now I'm feeling sorry for myself. I know it's most likely nothing, but I don't want to relive any of this. Bawling I never had a lump before. I had DCIS twice, and they found Paget's Disease in the "healthy" breast after the mastectomy. I'm just really bummed.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi, jmb5. Some of us still check out the old threads occasionally. I'm so sorry you're enduring this worry! The edge of your breast sounds like a fat necrosis--I have a lot of little lumps and bumps like that.

Hang in there, try not to worry, and gentle hugs coming your way.

• jmb5
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks for replying, sbelizabeth. My husband asked if it could be scar tissue or fat necrosis. I guess I was thinking that wouldn't pop up 2 years later. You think it could? I had a spot of fat necrosis once. It had fluid in it, but was a lot bigger than what I'm feeling now. And I had it right after the last fat grafting surgery. That was close to 2 years ago. I can't feel it anymore. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi, Jmb5.I had a lump earlier this year and one last year, too, both fat necrosis. PS biopsied them. I was surprised I would feel a lump this far out, too. I hope your experience is the same!!!

• jmb5
    edited June 2016
    Options

Jeannie, Thank you so much for responding. I was mostly worried because I didn't think fat necrosis would show up so late after surgery. How large was your lump? Mine is small... about the size of a pea and hard.Did your surgeon say how long this could keep happening?

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2016
    Options

The lump I had this year was similar. PS was unconcerned but didn't say how long fat necrosis would form

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2016
    Options

WOW.......haven't seen this thread activated in a loooooong time!

jmb5.....I don't know the "life span" of the whole fat necrosis thing, but I remember one of our gals who is farther along than you, had "repeats" of them, around the same timeframe as you are now. Always turned out to be fat necrosis.

Stay busy, try HARD not to go "there" until you truly ARE "there" (very difficult, I know, but TRY)......otherwise, you're throwing away days of peace and happiness that you fought very hard to get to. Hope all else is well with you and your family.

• jmb5
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks, nihahi. I'm feeling pretty positive. I decided not to say anything to my mom or sisters, since they tend to panic. My husband and teenage daughters know... All very positive people who aren't worriers. They keep me grounded. :) And all is well... my oldest graduated high school and I'm super proud of her. She's such a good kid.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2016
    Options

Sounds good! ThumbsUp

• enjoyevrymoment
    edited June 2016
    Options

Praying all goes well jmb. This board got me through and I miss everyone but I do think of cancer less until something crops up. Hi everyone, stay well!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited June 2016
    Options

jmb5 - How great that the people under your roof are non-worriers, it makes such a difference. And in all likelihood, there's nothing to worry about. Still, I'm thinking about you, because waiting is always a challenge. I'll be checking in this week to make sure you get the all clear.

And, it's so nice to see all these familiar names popping up too. They're the very ones that got me over my hurdles. We've never met, but I'll never forget you. Many hugs girls - and not the gentle kind.

• jmb5
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks enjoy and Janet. It's good to hear from both of you. It is kind of nice to see familiar faces and know everyone is doing well. I will definitely post after my appointment and let you know what I find out.

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2016
    Options

Janet! How good to "hear" your voice again. You were always such a comforting voice to me. A fierce hug right back at you

• jmb5
    edited June 2016
    Options

I ended up having a biopsy after the ultrasound. Apparently the lump is located in the axillary tail, which has breast tissue in it, even though I had a mastectomy. It connects the breast to the armpit. Who knew?! Because of the location, it concerned the radiologist and she did a biopsy. She said it isn't a cyst but could be fat necrosis. She couldn't rule out cancer though. I'm so bummed.