Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Moving On......After the Flap

Options

Comments

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hang in there, jmb. Understandable that you were hoping for a definite answer today, but the status of the lump hasn't changed, just the timeline of "knowing". Still have you in our pockets.

• jmb5
    jmb5 Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thankfully it is just fat necrosis. I had no idea it could just pop up like that 2 years later. I really hope that doesn't happen again. I was so stressed out! Ugh! The doctor wants to follow up with an ultrasound in 6 months just to be extra cautious.

• debiann
    debiann Member Posts: 447
    edited June 2016
    Options

That is such good news! That fat necrosis is a bugger, caused me some worry too.

• nihahi
    edited June 2016
    Options

jmb....ThumbsUp. Hope you have a FABULOUS weekend! You have reason to relax and celebrate the future.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited July 2016
    Options

jmb5 - Excellent news! What a great way to kick off the weekend - and the rest of your life. Thanks for posting the results. I'm really happy for you.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited July 2016
    Options

Great news! Doing the happy dance for you!

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2016
    Options

jmb5: So happy about your news! I totally understand the anxiety!

Happy 4th!

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi Everyone, it's awful how 'things' pop up years after the event to cause concern. I have quite a large lump about 1cm or so that has appeared above my abdominal diep scar, from 4 years ago! I'm having a scan next week to check it out, though I'm sure it must just be scar tissue my GP wants it checked

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2016
    Options

Jmb5 - Congratulations on your great news.

Suzy.- Hope you also get good news.

Ladies - I do not remember if we discussed this before but I was wondering whether anyone still gets the annual mammogram or MRI on flaps.

• sbelizabeth
    edited July 2016
    Options

Both my MO and my PS said no mammograms on the flaps. At least that's something!

• nihahi
    edited July 2016
    Options

Gwenny....I haven't been followed by an Oncologist for decades, but my family doc, my PS, and the breast screening tech all agree....no need to mammo the flap.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2016
    Options

I understand the no mammograms on our flaps. How often are you doing the MRI's? I've had them every year and would like to go less. I can't stand the tube and nothing relaxes me anymore.

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited December 2016
    Options

I am getting every other year (MRI). My oncologist said it was my choice, which is a weird feeling for me.

• jmb5
    jmb5 Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2016
    Options

My breast surgeon has me do a yearly mammogram. No MRI. I honestly don't remember why. I have an appointment Jan. 20 for check up and mammogram. I kind of want to refuse the mammogram. I'm frustrated today. Haven't been on the boards for a long time, but had a new symptom pop up and now I'm afraid it's early signs of lymphedema. :( I have tingling that comes and goes all day long, under my armpit, side of breast, under top part of arm. No swelling or other symptoms. It started about a month ago, almost 4 years after BMX.

• debiann
    debiann Member Posts: 447
    edited January 2017
    Options

My bs is having me do a breast mri at the 3 year mark.I don’t know if or how often after that. My MO seemed surprised that she does mri's after mx. I HATE mri's, not looking forward to it at all.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited February 2017
    Options

Just popping in to say"hi" to all.....just finished up my nipple tats in December.....I am done! It's only taken me 4 years to get there, but that's a different story for a different day.

jmb5-I do ultrasound, and a small lump was discovered last appointment in December. BS will repeat the ultrasound in June-before I leave for England for a 3 week trip. (I ain't got no time for this s***....... :-) ). Hopefully, it will turn out to be fat necrosis as well!

So nice to see people visit this thread once in a while! (((Hugs))) to all.

Movie

• Janet_M
    edited February 2017
    Options

Movie - Congratulations on being done! It sure is one hell of a marathon, isn't it. My 'diagnosis to tats' took 3 1/2 years, so I know the thrill of being done, and I'm very happy for you.

Some people call this a 'journey', but there was a woman on the boards a few years ago who called it a 'rodeo'. That word always stuck with me, because that's exactly what it feels like. Hard knocks, lot of of hanging on for dear life, falling down, and getting back in the saddle full of bruises and tears.

'Journey' to me sounds more meandering, and I've managed to avoid ever using that word. in fact, I hate it. The other expression that has stuck with me is that, cancer is 'a marathon, not a sprint'. I remember after my diagnosis thinking I was in a for a bad year. That one year, turned into four years - and it wasn't all bad either. There've been lots of very good days in my rodeo, as well.

I love your bluebird avatar. I remember her well.

Congratulations on making to the finish line

Janet

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2017
    Options

Yay, Janet, and Yay, Movie! I finally got my nipple tattoos in January, almost four years after the reconstruction surgery. I almost didn't go for them at all--with all the scars, weird colored skin, breasts that aren't symmetrical, and everything that goes with a delayed recon after intensive treatment, the DIEP breasts looked fine in clothes but looked nothing like real breasts underneath. Why bother, I thought.

I'm so glad I had them done. The cherries on the cupcake. It's a symbol of being finished, and they're truly beautiful.

• Janet_M
    edited February 2017
    Options

Yay, sbelizabeth! Yay for cherries! Yay for a beautiful finish!

(By the way, I think it was you who coined the phrase 'rodeo'. Was it you? Are you the cancer cowboy?)

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi, Janet--yeah, "rodeo" was mine. I was trying to come up with a word that wasn't "journey," which connotes a pleasant trip. Breast cancer...isn't.

But hanging on for your life while an enormous, enraged bull tries to kill you? Reasonably good metaphor.

• nihahi
    edited February 2017
    Options

Goodness!!! Got an email notification for this thread!!!

Lovely to "see" some very familiar faces, after all this time.

Movie...you DEFINITELY have no time for any s@$t. It's an incidenataloma...I will abide no other outcome.

Hey there, Janet!!! Waving happily at you.

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi, y'all.

I haven't been here forever. I got a notice that an article had been posted.

Like most of the 2014 diep-ers, I have moved on. My BS does routine check every year and all has been well.

Jmb -so glad you had good news

Have a wonderful day

• Tan72
    Tan72 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi all,

Was having a rough day today, started a cross fit gym about 5/6 weeks ago and seeing many move forward quickly while I can't quite get my arms and legs to move sometimes, AI's are good, but sometimes just want to scream, usually life is good and moving forward, I heard that you may have a random moment where you just flash back and cry, this isNew for me, I have been mostly heads down and push forward, I am 2.5 yrs out of my DIEP and for some reason this adventure getting back in shape is dredging up so many emotions. Did any of you go throughout this? I was so happy to get the email and see everyone posts, glad to see everyone doing well, it's comforting to see familiar names/people moving forward.

• nihahi
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi tan...imho, you are doing great! Take a deep breath, and just ponder for a bit on the things that you have been through, in just short of 3 years, all while in a state of emotional upheaval and physical/ chemical assaults on your body and psyche. If you are like many of us, you just had to put your head down and "get through it". It's ok, MORE than ok, now, to some of that bubble to the surface. It's all part of letting it out, so you can let it go. In reality, 3 years is toddler time in bc years...my opinion is you're growing out of it just fine.

As for the crossfit challenges...remember there are people who literally struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time.I'm on vacation in Hawaii at the moment...saw someone...I kid you not...fall off a walkway and into a pool, while looking at their cellphone...and they were fully dressed.

• Tan72
    Tan72 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thank you for the kind words Nihahi, i like your analogies and phrase letting it out so you can let it go. Hope you are having a great time in Hawaii 🌴 your story about the person falling into the pool gave me a chuckle 😂. I feel better knowing this is a normal part of the healing process.

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2017
    Options

Was so nice to log on today and see some of my buddies from my first contact with this joyful disease. I too am doing well, have gained more weight than I would like but am working on it. I switched oncologists and the newbie is better fit for me, he actually showed me research articles that now say AIs for 5 years has equal outcomes to 10 years. I do not get mammograms, got two MRIs when I was first done but since then none.

So far so good. Finishing my doctorate and to tell you the truth "WHAT WAS I THINKING". bucket list, schmucket list. Anyhow, off to the races, stay well everyone and I am sending you all hugs. Thank you for helping me through all that crap, boy it comes at you fast and without you all I don't think I could have gotten through it.

Added: Oh, and boy do I feel like I am a zillion years old joint wise. When people have stage 4 and such I feel no right to complain but I must say I am not the girl I was and then again who is?

<3 Cindy

• nihahi
    edited March 2017
    Options

Sending hugs back at you, Enjoy...so sorry to hear about the aches and pains. Hormonal tx certainly takes it's toll.

• minatabo
    minatabo Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2017
    Options

I likely will be having a delayed DIEP flap reconstruction due to radiation. I hear ladies (in Canada) have a 1-2 year wait for their flap reconstruction sugery.
    How did everyone keep their mind off from just thinking about recon? How did you keep your spirit up while waiting for this "final stage"? I feel like its hard to get "closure" until the reconstruction is done.

Minatabo

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    edited March 2017
    Options

minatabo, don't worry about the length of time it takes to get to the end. I was really stressing out when my bS told me the average time it took to get a completed tx was 1 year. It is likely longer. My mx and recon was almost 6 months out. And then my balancing reduction was another 5 months out. I am still waiting for my final touch up (a new nipple), 7 months out. This is a marathon. We are at the mercy of available operating room times, available surgeon times, not getting bumped by someone more in need, yada, yada, yada. Take a deep breath and know that the medical community has a really good handle on the timelines. It was hard, but I really worked at occupying my mind. I started knitting. Went back to work as soon as possible. I personally think this cancer dx will be a shadow for the rest of my life. Find something to hang on to and try to block out the rest. I don't know how old you are, but if you have something you've always been interested in and never tried, now is the time lol

• sbelizabeth
    edited March 2017
    Options

Minatabo, for me, it was like waiting for Christmas morning, so I know what you mean. My DIEP was delayed until about 9 months after the end of rads to let the effects of the radiation settle down. I work full time, so that kept me busy, but I was so excited to be getting on with it. Now, almost five years later, it seems like it was just a few weeks between rads and DIEP. The time will pass before you know it.