Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Will 30% of Early Stage (1-IIIA) go on to metastasize??

Options
1656667686971»

Comments

• herb
    herb Member Posts: 63
    Options

May 28, 202

Relationship between tumor size and metastatic site in patients with stage IV breast cancer: A large SEER-based study..... studies are now coming out to show how and where mets occurs. I read a study on size of tumor that metastasized. It was 5mm. Most stage 1a are around 1 cm so 2 times that size. So ablility to tumor metastasis has already occured in nearly all breast cancers by the time they are seen on a scan. https://ascopubs.org/doi/10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.e13065#:~:text=At%20the%20same%20time%2C%20the%20results%20indicated%20that%20Luminal%20A,likely%20to%20develop%20liver%20metastasis.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 384
    Options

Yeah I've read that. Pretty much we all can expect that breast cancer cells have been released in our body. Luckily though metastasis is very inefficient which is why a small portion of us have distant relapse.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,784
    Options

Yes, it’s important to remember that there are no guarantees and though the overall recurrence rate is too high*, the majority of early stage patients are treated and don’t recur. That 30% is not broken down by stage either. The most difficult part? None of those stats have any predictive value for how an individual will do.
    * Many who’ve been lulled into pretty pink land are shocked to find out recurrences can and do happen even decades after treatment and that while most early stagers don’t recur, a not insignificant subset do. And there seems to be little known rhyme or reason to recurrences. The unpredictability is hugely frustrating, coupled with no cure for stage IV.

• herb
    herb Member Posts: 63
    Options

I agree in my local breast cancer group a stage 1a with BMX 9years out has mets now. BTW you're doing great over 10 years mets. This give hope to others. I know 2 ladies in my local group mets with her2 both are 10 years.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,784
    Options

Thanks herb. Unfortunately, why I have done so well is completely unknown. That may give hope to others but provides no actual help.