Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• MamaFelice
    MamaFelice Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2017
    Options

Congratulations ladies!!

We all want to know "the SECRETS"!!

Perhaps any of the survivors would take the time to share what they think/feel has made a difference whether it be part of their doctors, treatment plan, post treatment medicines..... or something they have controlled on their own like diet, exercise, stress, home climate, faith, relationships, work, joy, etc. Sure would love to hear too! Thank you all in advance for sharing with us! 🦋😘😘😘

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2017
    Options

ck55, thanks for sharing! Hugs

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm closer to 15 years now than 10, I was diagnosed 14 years ago and I'm still here, and doing fine! I was 35 then, I'm hitting 50 this May 😊

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited February 2018
    Options

Stage 3B. Just passed my 11 year anniversary.

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 557
    edited February 2018
    Options

Congratulations PIP!

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 557
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm posting a day early because I know I will be busy tomorrow.

Ten years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had neoadjuvant chemo, a bilateral mastectomy, more chemo, then radiation. And two years afterwards, I had DIEP flap reconstruction. Some things were easier than others. The chemo wasn't as bad as I expected (except for the hair loss and taste changes), and the mastectomy was a breeze compared to other surgeries. Radiation was a pain only at the end. Reconstruction was the hardest, but because I really wanted it, I endured it.

Since then, I've had a very normal life. I've experienced gains and losses. Births and deaths. Worked hard and then forced into retirement (which isn't so bad, lol). Bought my own place.

And so far, I've kept cancer at bay.

I can't say it's anything specific I've done. I still have more than an occasional glass of wine. I still eat sugar in normal amounts. Haven't gone organic, but I cook from scratch mostly. I take my anastrazole daily—I'm VERY good about that even though I think it has exacerbated my arthritis. I also take Vitamin D with it. That's it. Nothing else.

I will be busy tomorrow, my actual anniversary, because my three-month-old grandson is coming to stay for a while. I will be coo-ing and clapping, and walking around with him in my arms.

And I think it's time to change my photo to one closer to my current age—taken about a month ago.

I have another saying that I might put in my tag line: Life is good. It isn't perfect, but it is good.

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing NancyD!!! Congratulations on this milestone and I can't think of a better way to spend it than with your baby grandson! All the best to you and awesome to read your story!
  • iamelaine
    iamelaine Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2018
    Options

NancyD and pip57, Congratulations and rock on!

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2018
    Options

YAY, PIP!!! Congrats on that 11 years. Remembering you from the old days - we've been traveling this journey for quite a while now! Long may it continue...

Julie

• Sophiemara
    Sophiemara Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2018
    Options

congratulations pip and Nancy, that's amazing!

Mpetago, that's fantastic too. Your stats are very similar to mine and I just wondered if you were on hormone therapy and how long and what you do to keep the beast at bay?

I was also dx at 34 over 2.5 years ago, so you are a real inspiration to me

Thanks and here's to many many more decades.

• mpetago
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Sophiemara!

I had tamoxifen for 5 years, and no treatment since 2010, unless you count taking high potency vitamin D. I started that about a year ago when studies came out indicating that low vitamin D levels might contribute to late onset metastasis, and of course I found out my levels were very low. Other than that, and buying cancer insurance last year, I honestly just live life and don't really worry about it anymore. If it comes back, I'll worry about it then, but only if that happens. This has been much easier to do as the years have gone by of course - I couldn't even say metastatis for a long time, out of fear of somehow jinxing myself. I still make it a point to come back every year and post here, because I remember how much it helped me in the beginning, and it allowed me to start thinking, why couldn't that be me too? 😊

• mpetago
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Sophiemara!

I had tamoxifen for 5 years, and no treatment since 2010, unless you count taking high potency vitamin D. I started that about a year ago when studies came out indicating that low vitamin D levels might contribute to late onset metastasis, and of course I found out my levels were very low. Other than that, and buying cancer insurance last year, I honestly just live life and don't really worry about it anymore. If it comes back, I'll worry about it then, but only if that happens. This has been much easier to do as the years have gone by of course - I couldn't even say metastatis for a long time, out of fear of somehow jinxing myself. I still make it a point to come back every year and post here, because I remember how much it helped me in the beginning, and it allowed me to start thinking, why couldn't that be me too? 😊

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Nancy, Pip and Mpetago,

wonderful to see you all. Ain't life grand?

• Sophiemara
    Sophiemara Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2018
    Options

Thank you so much mpetago! Glad to hear you are enjoying life and taking it in your stride. Definitely, thanks for being an inspiration, I only hope to be in a similar position down the line

• mpetago
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Linda!! Yes it definitely is Smile

• lrsreyes
    lrsreyes Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2018
    Options

I am happy that I reached my 10 year anniversary and in good health !!!!

I do Zumba 5 times a week since dancing is my favorite exercise. My cardiologist said the I have a strong heart of a 40 year old so I have been doing high intensity routines.

I am eating mostly sea food , chicken & plant based food .

I am doing a lot of complementary therapies and when I finish taking Femara ( 12/2018) I plan to take DIM .

Since I am retired I have found activities that keep me happy.

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Awesome to hear Irsreyes!!! Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing!! All the best to you and continued health!!
  • lrsreyes
    lrsreyes Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks LeesaD, I will continue my changes in diet , exercise to prevent recurrence and have a happy, active life . I get stares at the gym when I tell them I am 73 years old.

• lkc
    edited April 2018
    Options

so happy for Irisheyes! Wonderful life, continue to enjoy.

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2018
    Options

Always to good to see your posts, Linda (lkc)---feels like reassurance from an old friend! 

• dato
    dato Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2018
    Options

Twelve years ago today I was diagnosed with breast cancer. For the next several years my world revolved around my diagnosis. Mastectomy, chemo and radiation on my right breast first. Then, prophylactic mastectomy on my left breast and hysterectomy, because my mom died of ovarian cancer. Next came DIEP reconstruction. I was also in a clinical trial where I received Zometa infusions for about a year. I have never regretted any of my decisions regarding my treatment. As part of the clinical trial I had yearly follow-up appointments. When I went in for my appointment this year my oncologist asked me if I wanted to make another appointment. I asked her if she thought I needed it. She said "no". We hugged, I cried, and thanked her for saving my life. Twelve years out my life is good.

• lkc
    edited May 2018
    Options

Congrats Dato! I remember you from the old days.. so happy to see you here!! just reached 13 yrs out...

Thankfully, There are getting to be quite alot of us " way out there" !!!

and yes Indeed Life is wonderful.

• Madicyn
    Madicyn Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    Options

I'm always happy to hear from those who are more than 10 years out. I'm at 8 years this month and so grateful for every day.

• meg2016
    meg2016 Member Posts: 188
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thank you all for posting your inspiring stories!!

• hmh23
    hmh23 Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks for reaching back to all of us who can't wait to hit 10 years. Heather

• mkibbetson
    mkibbetson Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2018
    Options

June 5th, 2018 is my "10 year cancer-versary". I posted something uplifting a few days early on Facebook - I just wanted to get it over with. I didn't want to remember. But it turns out I remember whether I want to or not.

I remember what I was wearing. A pretty pink blouse, ironically. My daughter got in trouble at school that morning for wearing a tank top that didn't have straps "3 fingers wide", I had to stop there on my way to work to drop off a T-shirt. We went out to lunch at work that day, we had ice cream, and we joked about what I would look like bald. Thinking if I joked it wouldn't happen?

I changed into a paper blouse. The surgeon walked in, with tears in his eyes. He obviously just got the results, he told us he wished that I could have a long life. He cried, Joe cried. I put my pretty pink shirt back on.

We sat in the parking lot and cried. And cried more. At some point my friend from work called, she told my boss. My boss called, he told me he was "possimistic" that everything would be fine. But he wasn't.

We made it home. Somehow told the kids. Had my sister tell my father.

And that is how I became a breast cancer survivor on June 5, 2008.

• mkibbetson
    mkibbetson Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2018
    Options

10 years today! Had some delayed reconstruction and infection issues these past few months which shook things up but otherwise, life is good :-)

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited June 2018
    Options

everyminute - CONGRATULATIONS on 10 years! Thanks for the continued encouragement for those of us who are a little behind you!!! Hoping infection and other recon issues resolve soon!

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited June 2018
    Options

Ladies

Thanks so much for posing ,it gives the rest of us so much hope

Huggs

• ash123
    ash123 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2018
    Options

Thank you Everyminute for stopping by and posting your 10 year anniversary.