Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• Madicyn
    Madicyn Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks for posting Nancy and maryannecb! I love to hear stories of survival. Wonderful for you!!!

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited October 2016
    Options

ladies, that is such great news. What inspiration you give us newbies. It's so important to reach that hand out to hose behind you and help us through. Just think how long our chain can be if we all keep doing that! thank you, thank you, thank you

• Unknown
    edited October 2016
    Options

Just checking in after 10+ years. This site helped me through my darkest days. Thank you to the moderators and participants who helped me so much.

I recommend this site to everyone I know who have received a diagnosis. The information here is so valuable and so accessible. It has come a long way in 10 years. I will forever be grateful.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks so much for all that post. Any more TN's out there that are 10 years out?

• ck55
    ck55 Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2016
    Options

Just stopping by to post my 10 year anniversary (yesterday). Feeling good and blessed to still be here.

Wishing you all the chance to post here someday.

Bless you all, Cyndi

• ash123
    ash123 Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thank you, thank you and thank you for coming back and posting. What hopeful posts. Many more for you ck55.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited November 2016
    Options

When I was first diagnosed I clung to these stories like a drowning woman clings to a raft. I am so blessed to have five years behind me, and thrilled to read about those with ten. Thank you for coming back and sharing.

• live_deliciously
    edited November 2016
    Options

ditto. so important everyone to hear your good news. thank you sincerely. means so much

• iamelaine
    iamelaine Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hey ladies. I was a member here many years ago so cannot remember my old user name or password. I was diagnosed with stage 3C breast cancer on March 1st 2004 so I will be 13 years out in a couple of months. I had a 7cm mass in my right breast with 11+ nodes. I had TAC, a bilateral mastectomy and 30 rads. I have been taking an AI for over 12 years now. I was er/pr+ and her2-. I had ILC. This site was lifeline for me when I was first diagnosed so I wanted to pop in and share this.

Be strong ladies!

• gracejoy
    gracejoy Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2016
    Options

Congratulations Elaine. Many more years.

I see that you are on AI over 12 years. I am wondering how is your bones. Do you have side effects from it over time? What kind of AI are you on?

thanks

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,019
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi IAmElain, and welcome again! Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring story and for your encouraging words.

Congratulations on your continued NED!! Wishing you the best, and hoping to see you again on the boards soon.

The Mods

• live_deliciously
    edited December 2016
    Options

thanks Elaine. How wonderful that you came back to share with all of us.

• ash123
    ash123 Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thanks Elaine for stopping by and posting...so nice of you. It does make our day light and hopeful.

• iamelaine
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thanks for the kind words, ladies. I am so happy my coming back here has helped!

Gracejoy, I have a DEXA scan every year and so far my bones are holding up well. My doctor and I agree, I will stay on the AI until my bones do decide to go south. I have minimal side effects. Or maybe I am just used to the ones I have! Anyway, I feel fortunate to have the option of taking them. They are my security blanket. I took Arimidex for the first six years and have been on Femara for the last six.

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thank you Elaine! I also had ILC, large tumor. It's so great that you came back to give us hope!

• gracejoy
    gracejoy Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thank you Elaine for your prompt response. I am on Femara now. I am loosing my hair lately. I have another question for you. What do you take to keep your bones strong.

GraceJoy

• iamelaine
    edited January 2017
    Options

Gracejoy, I eat a diet rich in calcium and I also supplement with calcium, vit D and magnesium. I do weight bearing exercise 4 times a week. That's about it. Hope this helps.

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2017
    Options

IAmElaine....thank you for sharing!!!!!

• ShannaM
    ShannaM Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2017
    Options

I just saw this and it makes me have some hope. I was diagnosed last January with stage III breast cancer. I did neoadjutive chemo, a masectomy, and will start radiation in a week. I'm on tamoxifen and will have my ovaries removed later this year. I'm only 32 and I have three very young children. I worry about the future, but am hopeful and so is my oncologist. My tumor was 2cm with 12 positive nodes.

• caaclark
    caaclark Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2017
    Options

Just popping in to say 11 years since my stage III diagnosis.  Cannot believe I am still here but glad I am!!!

• ssinuk
    ssinuk Member Posts: 63
    edited January 2017
    Options

many congrats and thank you

• gardenbird
    gardenbird Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2017
    Options

Just popping by to wish everyone a "love"ly Valentines Day.

Well this day 10 years ago I got the dreaded diagnosis.  The week beforehand I had the biopsy and I was requested to attend for the results on the 14th February.  I said "but that's Valentine's day, the anniversary of my engagement".  The (Dutch) surgeon responded "you will be either drinking champagne or you won't" (they are very direct, the Dutch).  Well I wasn't.  I was diagnosed with a tiny but vicious lump, it had spread to 25 lymph nodes.  I had TAC chemo, 7 weeks radiotherapy, 2 years tamoxifen and 5 years arimidex.

I was terrified in the beginning.  My children were 6 and 10 and I thought I've got to live to see this pair grow up.  The treatment was tough but manageable, what was worse was the "fear" - fear of recurrence, fear of every slightest pain, ache, twinge.  The "fear" is still lurking (I have an ache in my right shoulder at this minute) but has retreated to a further place.  The last 10 years were great.  Got to see my daughter turn into a beautiful, kind and caring 21 year old, went off to University (is now on a year out, travelling in Asia, but that's another story!)   Got to see my son grow into a strapping, funny, lovely nearly 17 year old.  Got to see myself getting grey, wrinkled, sagging and bagging, got to see my 5 years younger husband without the loss of a single hair, not a grey hair on his head! 

I used to read this site every day - especially the stories of survival, they were my lifeline.  I hoped and prayed I would be posting on the 10 years out forum and here I am!  I must say the stories are getting more frequent.  In those days there was no "15 years out" forum. 

So today I'm really going to celebrate Valentine's day.  Preparing a roast chicken with rosemary, olive oil and garlic. There will be chocolate lava cake to follow.  A gin & tonic will be served (Bombay Sapphire & Fever Tree, to be specific), we will drink some wine and enjoy life - kickin' ass as you guys in the US say!!

Hope to be back every year and I wish all my fellow travellers a safe journey and praying our destination is as far away as possible.

Love to all on this day :)

• meg2016
    meg2016 Member Posts: 188
    edited February 2017
    Options

gardenbird- your post made my day!!! Congrats on 10 years. Thanks for coming back to post! Love to you as well!

• live_deliciously
    edited February 2017
    Options

hi gardenbird. Love, love, love it. What good news to share. Can't thank you enough. So encouraging. I can really relate about the fear. Hangs over my head most days. Big hugs.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,101
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks gardenbird for your post and sharing some of your journey. It's important to hear positive stories.

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks gardenbird for your post and coming back to visit and encourage those of us that are still early in our journey. Your story is inspiring for those of us with lots of positive nodes. I know that each of usare different but it is good to read the long term post! Congrats 🎉🎈🎊

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited February 2017
    Options

gardenbird, your post is inspirational. Congrats on 10 years and thanks for letting us know.

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hello everyone,

I'm a few days late posting again this year, but I'm now 13 years NED and still doing great!!

• LM070917
    LM070917 Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2017
    Options

Congratulations mpetago! That's amazing! What fantastic news! I hope you have a great time celebrating. Can I ask how many years you took hormone therapy? I have similar stats to you and can only dream of your outcome!

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2017
    Options

Big Congratulations!!! And thank you for posting--even though each case is so different--gives me so much hope with the Stage 3a DX. Celebrate big and enjoy your wonderful life!!

Stephanie