Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Options

Comments

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

Great seats!

I love that opera- although sad , it is so beautiful. Haven't been back since the pandemic- May go again with a mask in a box seat.

Your neighbor sounds great!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,366
    Options

My parents were big opera buffs and they had season tickets for many years. On occasion my mother had other plans on those opera days, and my father would take me instead. One of the first opera's I saw with him was Madame Butterfly and I loved it! Yes, so, so sad, but beautiful! When I was a child my father would play opera records all the time, and I hated them. I just thought it was screeching in foreign languages that I couldn't understand, so couldn't follow the story. I thought I liked almost any kind of music other than opera, and then I went with him. The local opera had "supra titles" in English by then, so it was easy to follow the story. Being there in person and being able to follow the stories was a whole different experience, and I really came to like it very much. Years later, my parents still got those season tickets, and they got them for my daughters too, and I think it was one of the nicest experiences my parents and kids all had together for a few years there.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,635
    Options

I've been to the opera several times. Once was in Honolulu with my mom. She took me to La Boheme. Then my husband was offered 4 tickets to opening night of the San Diego Opera's performance of The Flying Dutchman. The seats were given to him by the president of the bank where he worked. It was black tie, super fancy seats and during the intermissions, we got to go out to a special reception area where they served drinks and hors d'oeuvres. It was so much fun to dress up and sit in the "fancy" section.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,080
    Options

I love hearing the stories about everyone’s different opera experiences! Sf-cakes, it looks like you had fabulous seats for Madame Butterfly! I don’t know much about opera but if I’d had the opportunity of someone taking me, like threetree’s dad, and explained it to me, I know I’d have developed an appreciation for it.

I had a great time at the family picnic on Sunday. Dh and I were the last ones to leave, a first for us! Today he and I went to the pool for several hours and it was so relaxing, I came home and took a two hour nap!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

Dghoff, nice to see you again as the fitness thread hasn’t been active for a while. Glad you’re enjoying the extra years 😃

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,843
    Options

Nice to see you both!
    Here’s wishing everyone a great holiday season! 🎊

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 680
    Options

@dghoff , your words give me so much hope. Dx MBC end of Nov 23, mets to peritoneum, lung, bladder. I don't know if they are micromets or not, and I don't think I need to know. The tumor in the bladder was resectioned and biopsied at the same time and confirmed dx. I'm ILC er/pr+, grade high 1/low 2, and just started tx of Verzenio and Fulvestrant. I am active like you—run rivers (not as much as I used to), hike, yoga or fitness almost daily. My biggest fear was that my QOL would deteriorate; yoga and outdoor time are what have sustained me my entire life. Reading what you posted has really helped me, and I'm going to share it with my daughter (who I haven't told yet—waiting till after the holidays-her heart with break as her dad died from pancreatic cancer 7 years ago and she was crushed). Thank you, happy solstice!

Claire in AZ

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    Options

Claire - I think my yoga and my outdoor time is what is keeping me stable. I too, am sustained by those things, and I truly believe it is the time I spend in nature and teaching yoga that keeps my body and spirit strong. I have mets to liver, lungs, and bones, but my treatments have been tremendously successful, and the thing I try to remember is that I get to write my own story, not any statistics, or doctors opinions. I know how scary those first few months are, but there is much room for hope.

Illimae and exbrnxgrl- so nice to see you too! I just don't get on here very much as I guess I am too busy with life, but it's great to reconnect with you!

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 153
    Options

It's brilliant to hear of all the things people are doing and being so active. I thought I was doing well with a part-time job and doing a bit of exercise😅.

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 153
    Options

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

So happy to see you all here! Bright55, your pic is fabulous. I am very well traveled (ex-Peace Corps volunteer, ex-Pan Am flight attendant) but have never been to Egypt. I wouldn’t mind going but not feeling entirely safe about that part of the world right now😢. Travel has been the most enriching experience of my life.
    Whatever we choose to do, enjoy! I’m slowing down a bit now but still sub 2-3 days a week and recently went to the very exotic 😉state of Florida to visit my oldest friend (we’ve known each other since high school). I’m off to the lovely Napa Valley tomorrow for 5 days. I pretend that my daughter’s house is an Air BnB 😂. I’m actually house/pet sitting while they’re out of town.
    WISHING YOU ALL A HAPPY AND PEACEFUL NEW YEAR 🎊

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,080
    edited December 2023
    Options

** Christmas 2023 **

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 976
    Options

Great picture, Divine! Good for you for turning to your favorite to get through that hard night in the hospital. I'll have to remember that.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 211
    Options

I am very grateful that this thread is here. Being told that I was de novo stage iv with bone mets was confronting but I have accepted it and moved on - my life and interests continue. It is so good seeing how others manage and I value the various hints about how to deal with issues.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 544
    Options

Bright55, great photo! Such a cool background! I love your glasses, too.

Divine, also great photo! I swear you look younger than a photo you shared a couple of years back.

I took this photo for a post I did about MBC Awareness Day - other than the lipstick I put on, this is generally what I look like, pale like a vampire, lol!

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

First of all may I say that we have some very beautiful women, inside and out, on bco and stage IV no less!
    Camille, you look unchanged to me and we go back more than a decade (yay, us 😘) . Simply stunning!

Sf-cakes, I don’t think I’ve seen a pic of you before. You have a fabulous smile and look great.

I have always disliked photos of myself but might, just might, scroll through my pics to find something semi acceptable to post.
    So happy that this thread resonates with so many more than it did ten years ago 😊

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,069
    Options
  • brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 897
    Options

aprilgirl1. Thank you. Great picture. I would post a picture but unfortunately the only recent picture I have is one of me wearing a Flamingo blanket. LOL.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,635
    Options

I don't normally post photos of myself because I usually hate them, but here's one I don't hate. This is one of my husband and me in front of a sculpture he designed and had built. The panels are solid steel and it took a crane to lift it into place in this courtyard. The second picture is what early morning looks like on the other side of the house. It's called Santa Rosa Cove.