Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited November 2016

I hope everyone is doing well. DG, that pic is awesome. I hope everyone is enjoying the moment. Wanted to share a pic of my little man. Harper is now 12 weeks old and so adorable. image

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited November 2016

Kandy,

He is as cute as a button! I was hoping you'd post a picture of him. He has made my day 😄.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,460
    edited November 2016

Love his outfit and little shoes too!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited November 2016

Kandy, how adorable! He looks all growed up in that outfit! So happy for you. How is it having a grandbaby

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited November 2016

Harper is so cute, Kandy! I wonder what he's thinking in that photo! He looks like he's definitely got an opinion or wants to tell you something! And he's so big already!

Great photo, DG! Very inspiring! I'd love to see more photos of your trip if you feel like sharing them.

And I still laugh every time I see that photo of Miles licking his bowl, Caryn! So cute!

• Kandy
    edited November 2016

Ms Divine, words can not express how in love I am with this little man. He is the sweetest thing ever. My DD got moved. So nowshe is walking distance away. I love it. I have got to see him almost every day. He always puts a smile on my face.

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited November 2016

I've said this before but someone, many years ago, told me that God gave us grandchildren as a gift for not killing our own children and sometimes I think it's true. I have 6 now, all under the age of 7 and each one has their own personality that makes me giggle with delight. My DD with 4 children moved closer to us so in 5 minutes I can run over, help them with baths, read a story or two and tuck them in bed. I like to do this especially if I'm having a tough day. There's nothing like the love, hugs, snuggles and kisses of those sweet innocent little darlings.

A dear friend of mine lost her husband very unexpectedly last week so I went to the memorial service yesterday. As we were singing, her 7 year old grandson left his parents and ran over to my friend, his grandmother, sobbing uncontrollably. He was so very close to his grandfather and was deeply stricken with grief. His sadness made me melt into a puddle of tears as I watched my friend try to comfort that precious boy. Then all of a sudden I was hit with similar grief thinking my grandchildren, especially my oldest, the 7 year old, might very well do the same thing at my funeral. I was really shaken as I could see him doing the same thing. I don't know why I feel compelled to share this right now except to say this was a very real "reality" which I've never given so much thought to, but yesterday brought to life what probably will happen one day and I guess it was too close to home.

On that note I'll wish you all a good weekend.

Amy

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited November 2016

Amy :o(...I went to a memorial on Monday for a St IV BC sister. Seeing others mourn/grieve REALLY makes it hit home for us. I don't cry for myself, but I cry for the family and friends I will leave behind.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2016

Amy, condolences on the passing of your friend's husband.

• Kandy
    edited November 2016

Isn't that thought just unbearable to think about what our families will have to go through. That has entered my head too. I try not to dwell on it, knowing that somehow everyone recovers in some sorta way. And life goes on. Sending loving thoughts to everyone.

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited November 2016

Love the pics of grandchildren - can't wait (but I can wait - my kids are 23 and 18 - they are so not ready)   Hope I am here when the time comes.  In the meantime enjoying life   At the Cape for the weekend took a ride to Provincetown for the day yesterday.  PTown is a great funky little town.  This was the sunset as we were leaving.
  • Sattipearl
    Sattipearl Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2016

gorgeous, Nel

• KDs-Husband
    KDs-Husband Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2016

Amy,

I, of course, as the primary caregiver for my wife, KD, have quite a different perspective than all of you, but I do want to point out the obvious difference in your friend's situation and that of most of the ladies on this forum. Your friend lost her husband "very unexpectedly", whereas it will most likely be a very different circumstance for you, my wife, and all the ladies here.

We have two boys, ages 12 and 9, and "how they might handle that issue" has been one our big concerns. Well, this summer, we had the opportunity to experience this somewhat. KD's dad, "Papa", was diagnosed with a recurrence of sarcoma cancer at the same time KD was diagnosed with MBC in February of this year. We thought this was a lot for our boys to handle at the same time. (It sure was a lot for us to handle)

Well, in June, my step-dad of 25 years, "Da", contracted hospital-induced Pnemonia to go along with his existing Congestive Heart Failure. He and his doctor agreed that it was severe enough that they would not be able to turn it around, so he chose to be removed from the ventilator that was keeping him going. He had two full days from a Sunday afternoon to a Tuesday afternoon to tell everyone in his life "goodbye", including my two boys, and my boys got to tell him goodbye as well. They took him off the ventilator that Tuesday afternoon, and he passed peacefully in his sleep 12 hours later. It was a beautifully orchestrated transition.

Immediately after his funeral the following Monday, KD's dad was admitted to hospice as he had suddenly declined. Once again, our boys got to visit another grandfather to tell him goodbye. Papa passed very peacefully approximately 24 hours later.

I share this to emphasize that the important factor in our experience was the opportunity for our boys to tell their grandfathers goodbye, which is what most often doesn't happen when someone passes "very unexpectedly". Honestly, we were amazed at how well our boys handled losing both of the grandfathers in a matter of 6 days (one to cancer), and experiencing their first two funerals 11 days apart. I truly believe that our children respond in a lot of ways according to how "we" respond. I would guess that your friend's grandson was influenced to a great degree by the intense shock being felt by many of the adults in his life due to the circumstances.

This, of course, kind of transitions to the topic of "how much we should share with our children", of which there are numerous threads on BCO. We have certainly experienced that open communication at the proper time makes all the difference in the world.

I am in no way minimizing the reality of the grief that everyone experiences, but just pointing out that the "shock" of a very unexpected passing makes for a very difficult beginning to the whole grief process.

Prayers for your friend's family.

Louis

Oh, and Kandy, give Harper a lunchbox and a hard hat. He looks like he is ready head out to the factory for work. :-)

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited November 2016

I have just been diagnosed with mets to ribs pelvissmall amount in my spine and back of skull ct scans all clear everywhere else. I am currently finding it hard to walk probably or exercise so my life has gone from runningto hardly getting off the couch. I am going on an experimental trial for mets in younger women through Peter Mac in Melbourne but was wondering what they can do to give me normal mobility till I start ion my hormone drug

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited November 2016

Delvzy, I'm so sorry about your mets dx. From my own experience, if you have having a hard time walking (as I was for several months shortly after my re-dx, with a lot of leg pain), be sure to have your medical team check for pathological fractures. It's not uncommon to have them with mets, but I didn't know that and limped around for several months until mine reached a crisis point that required emergency surgery to fix femur and pelvis fractures I didn't even know I had, mistakenly assuming the pain was par for mets. So that would be my first suggestion. If everything checks out good, as I hope it will, then a referral for physical therapy -- someone who is highly experienced with mets patients -- might be your next option. Also, try not to beat yourself up about going from running to preferring the couch. I think sometimes when we've been very athletic, we fail to adjust our expectations to what we can do at the moment. If all you can do is walk 1/4 of a mile, for example -- assuming you don't have any fractures, pat yourself on the back for doing that. Hopefully you'll be able to do more in the future when you get on those meds and they really kick in. Deanna

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited November 2016

Delvzy: I could barely walk from the mets in my spine and 5 compression fractures. Radiation can do wonders, but keep in mind, once they radiate an area, they can't go back and do it again. You'll need to get a scan for that, tho.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited November 2016

I had to travel for labs yesterday, but the sun was shining, it was warm for mid November, so Clyde (the car) needed a run. Out to one of favourite spots for lunch, with my favourite man taking my pic with our favourite car. Days like that it's hard to believe I am stage IV. Good to be alive. hugs to all, cheers, dee

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2016

Zoom zoom, GG! Great photo

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited November 2016

Dee - how much fun! Thanks for sharing...

Amy

• Kandy
    edited November 2016

Harper's Mom, my DD, had to return back to work yesterday. I was lucky enough to keep him for her. I think he had a great day. Isn't he adorable?image

• teacher911
    teacher911 Member Posts: 152
    edited November 2016

Kandy, He is so sweet. What a blessing for your family.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited November 2016

What a cutie pie! Nothing beats the adorable face of a baby. So glad you got to spend the day with him

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2016

Kandy, he is so cute and looks so happy

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited November 2016

Kandy,

Adorbs, as the kids say!

Tina

• Sattipearl
    Sattipearl Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2016

baby therapy is the best.

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited November 2016

I have been put on steroids for a couple of weeks not sure why and they couldnt do my bone biopsy yesterday because my back is going into involuntary muscle spasms if anyone goes near it. I am not sure what the next step will be I just feel so los

• exbrnxgrl
    edited November 2016

delvzy,

So sorry you are going through these difficulties. Please ask you Doctor why you have been prescribed steroids. I think it's alway a very good idea to clearly understand why you are prescribed medications, treatments etc. This thread is not the best for technical info (I'm the op and didn't intend this thread to be about medical specifics) or specifics related to bone mets. Have you been to the dedicated bone mets thread? Here's the link and take care:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/...

• Southernsurvivor
    Southernsurvivor Member Posts: 569
    edited November 2016
    Kandy,

Harper is just precious! There is nothing like a baby - gave me a big smile!

Thanks for sharing,
    Sheri
  • Kandy
    edited November 2016

Thanks everyone for commenting on Harper. I am definitely in love. It sure makes it convenient for my DD and me with them living in our neighborhood. I can just borrow him whenever I want and thankfully she is willing to share him. My life is so perfect right now if we could just get the big C back under control. I still don't know why it wanted to rain on my parade. I sure could have done without this visitor showing his ugly face right now. I wish you all the best.

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited November 2016

Kandy you are sooooo lucky to have that little guy in your life. My three children are still too young to have families of their own . I will have to hang in there and wait. Hopefully I make it🤓.

Dee great pic you look great so glad to see you happy and well. So the study is going well? Besides of course all the driving. Take good care of yourself😊

Wendy