Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited December 2016

Happy Birthday to al those ladies celebrating their birthdays. Each and everyone should be special and treasured. My DH just took me on an awesome trip to Asheville. We left my DD2 with her sister and had a few days alone. A rarity for us. We went to see Christmas at Biltmore and did the candlelight show. Totally awesome if you have never been. We stayed on the grounds of Biltmore, in the inn. That hotel is beyond breathtaking and I was treated like a queen. So much fun to pretend like you are rich, lol. The craziest thing was there was a family having a family reunion there. Who else would it be besides the Vanderbilts, lol. I would have never dreamed I would ever stay at the same place as the descendants of that family. To those who might be unfamiliar with the name, they were the owners of the Biltmore house. Not only rich but way ahead of their time. Now their home is only toured. Something like a museum. Anyway had a wonderful time. I hope everyone is doing well, Merry Christmas to all

• Kandy
    edited December 2016

imageimageimageHere's a few pics.

The last one is of sign in our lobby of the inn, indicating where the family should go.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited December 2016

Artist, those Mickeys are my friend's. She's the collector ;). Party was at her house.

• wam
    wam Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2016

Wow! Happy Birthday all of you! Lita your party and pictures are gorgeous. You and DH make a handsome couple. I want cake.

Kandy your photos are beautiful. You are so pretty! That sounds so elegant.

I just got back from Nashville TN with my imagedaughter and grandson. My son works at the Opryland hotel. We saw all the sights. It was so fun!!!

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited December 2016

Happy Birthday to Tina, too! Lita, love the born in '58, age '58. I got a kick out of that this year because it doesn't work out for everyone. Kandy, what fun and lucky you! The Biltmore looks awesome.

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited December 2016

wow Lita what a great bunch of photos. You have a very beautiful smile lovely cake

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2016

Lita, I was wondering because my nick name was Mickey in High School we lived next to Disneyland and I collected for awhile. Kandy that looks like a completely royal weekend! You two are a cute couple. Friday, love your pic too. I need to see more of the US and world!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited December 2016

Ladies, you are having a good time! Lita, great photos from your party and happy belated birthday.

Kandy, also great photos. I've seen photos of the Biltmore and always wanted to visit. Sounds like it wasa magical time for your trip!

Fraidy, I am sure the Christmas lites in Nashville were a sight to see. Dh and I visited the city a few years ago and just loved it.

Happy holidays/Merry Christmas to all on this thread

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited December 2016

Kandy,

What a great trip - love seeing the Biltmore. Thanks for sharing your photos. This thread in particular is perfect for sharing photos as it shows us living and enjoying life. This is what gives me hope! Btw, started taking Xeloda last week and rather than be depressed about the need for it and reason for taking, I've decided to call them my "vitamins" - my outlook and entire attitude seems more upbeat looking at it positively rather than the opposite.

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah which I believe starts on December 24th this year.

Amy

• Lita57
    edited December 2016

Good for you, Amy. Stay as positive as you can about X. It will help with your tolerance. I'm on cycle 10 of X.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited December 2016

Amy, I am glad to hear that you have started your Xeloda treatments. I have read about really good results with it.

I received a Christmas card from one of my sons and his family. It showed his children with Santa. My 2 year old granddaughter is sitting on the lap of her 10 year old brother, and they are both smiling happily. Their 1 year old sister is on Santa's lap crying her eyes out. I had to laugh when I saw it. I was reflecting back on the many Christmases that I have lived through. We spend so much time preparing for the holidays, buying just the right gifts, trying to make sure everyone is happy. As I look back, it is the simple things that I remember most - the wonderful aroma of Christmas dinner cooking as my parents, my sister, and I walked into my grandparents' house, the sound of Christmas Carolers on our front porch, my Mom taking pictures of my sister and me in our Christmas dresses, my Dad's huge smile and laughter as he watched us open gifts. My father was always a kid at heart at Christmas time. One of my fondest memories was going to get our tree when I was about five years old. We had a big snowstorm, and the streets were still covered in snow. My parents decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to drive, so my father got out a sled, and he pulled my sister and me through the snow several blocks to the lot where we could buy a tree. He loaded the tree onto that sled, and my sister and I helped him pull it home. The snow was still lightly falling, and the air was crisp. We all laughed as we tried to run with that sled behind us. When we got home, my father unloaded the tree, and we all had some hot chocolate. I am the only one left from my "original" family, but those memories will always be part of me. I sometimes wonder what my children's Christmas memories are. It sounds like a good topic of dinner conversation on Sunday.

Do you have any special holiday memories that you would like to share? I get sentimental at this time of year, and I would love to hear your stories.

Lynne

• Lita57
    edited December 2016

Lynne, sounds like you had many "Norman Rockwell" Christmas memories...Enjoy them all.

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2016

Gorgeous post Lynne. Thanks for sharing those wonderful memories, they leap off the page with your descriptive writing!

• Sattipearl
    Sattipearl Member Posts: 84
    edited December 2016

checking in......it's been a rough 2 weeks with a new, gagging, choking cough, increased pain and shortness of breath. Am on oxygen 24/7 now.Asked my MO for a chest and abdomen CT, and had it today. AST also elevated (measures liver damage).

I love reading all of your posts, and view your pics. You all are a lifeline.

I'm spending Christmas is a local 5-star hotel by myself as my housemate has family coming in and they like to drink. A lot. And are quite rowdy when they do so. SickTired

So, I'm going to have a quiet weekend with room service. And there's a movie theater close by if I have a mind to do that. Don't feel sorry for me, I prefer it to the unapologetic high pitched noise they'll create. Lovely people otherwise.

Happy holidays, all.

Love,

Patti

• divinemrsm
    edited December 2016

Patti, I am sorry to hear of your recent health troubles but I am glad you are treating yourself to a very nice room thats quiet and has room service. There are a number of good movies that have just come out or will be out Christmas Day, the movie Jackie, "Fences" "La La Land, "Hidden Figures", Manchester by the sea". The past couple years there haven't been many I wanted to see, but this season there is a whole crop of them. Hope you find one to enjoy.

50sgirl, I love reading your memories of Christmas. Growing up, my mom never cooked on Christmas, she always made a ham the day before and we just snacked on sandwiches and cookies and fruit for two days, no sit down meal. It was the only time of year she bought pop, it was a bunch of different generic flavors in cans, and we kids would mix all the pop flavors together in these cheap little highball glasses my dad had and call them kamikazees. I do not cook on Christmas per my mom's tradition and I love that.

One year a friend of my mom's gave her some Barbie doll stuff which her daughters had outgrown: a couple Barbie cases filled with dolls, absolutely exquisitely handmade doll clothes: dresses, ballgowns, fur coats, ect, and all kinds of fun accessories to go along with everything. Mom intended for this to all be under the tree from "Santa" Christmas morning. Well, my sister and I discovered this treasure trove of all things Barbie several weeks before Christmas in a tiny little cold room off the fruit cellar in the basement. We must have snuck down there and played with those Barbies three or four times before Christmas Day. Where was my mother when we were doing this? We have no idea. But when we opened the Barbie doll bonanza on Christmas morning, we were still thrilled as ever to have so much. I remember my sister, who is a couple years older than me, telling me that Santa was so busy delivering toys Christmas eve that he dropped some toys off early so the moms and dads could put the stuff under the tree. Oh, what a great line! She and I still crack up over our Barbie doll caper that year.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited December 2016
    Gosh, I've missed so much! So many lovely pictures p, especially the wedding. These life cycle events truly uplift my spirit.

Sattipearl, I hope your hotel us that very nice one across from Christmas in the Park. I myself, love to stay alone in nice hotels 😄. Sorry that you're dealing with breathing problems.

We are Jewish, but plan to visit Christmas in the Park on Christmas Day as we think my 8 month old grandson will love the lights and displays ( ok, the truth is, Jewish or not, we go every year 😉). We also have a couple of Hanukkah dinners lined up.

I hope everyone has the happiest of holidays and sweetest New a Year.
  • artistatheart
    edited December 2016

Patti, Sorry to hear your are feeling under the weather. Nothing worse than a bunch of rowdy drinkers when you aren't one of them. I would of done the same thing and I agree with Caryn. I like staying in nice hotels alone. Room service and a quiet movie sounds kind of heavenly. Sure hope you are feeling better soon.

My favorite memories of Christmas were always of going to midnight mass with the choir. We had a very large cathedral church with lots of stained glass and it all seemed so holy. The other great thing was driving around looking at all the lights with hot chocolate. We had 7 kids in a big station wagon!

Lynne, I loved your post too. Such nostalgic times. We have a blast getting our kids going about past Christmases. That must be hard to be the only one left of your original family....I on the other hand may be the first to go in my original family even though I am 4th from the oldest.....But I guess luckily we never know for sure!

• Sattipearl
    edited December 2016

Life is funny. Last night, at about midnight, I had to call the front desk to ask them to send someone up to my floor to have people pipe down. It was just a little too noisy to sleep.

Otherwise I'm enjoying my time alone and room service. Happy Hanukkah and merry Christmas for those of you who celebrate either of those.

Love,

Patti

• artistatheart
    edited December 2016

oH PATTI, OH NO! Just when you thought you escaped the mayhem....Hope you found a good movie or book to enjoy anyway!

• Kandy
    edited December 2016

I hope everyone had a wonderful day with people they love. I have way too many people in my family that work at a hospital and my son is a policeman. Three had to work today so we are celebrating Wednesday with everyone. But my DD came with Harper for the day. Itwas awesome. Santa left him stuff at my house. image

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2016

Kandy, that is just the cutest photo! What a happy, and very beautiful, grandchild! Thanks for sharing

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2016

I hope you all had a wonderful day!

• Freya
    Freya Member Posts: 329
    edited December 2016

So many adorable grandchildren, just lovely to see. Hope you all had a great day.

exbrnxgrl - maybe I need new glasses, but everytime I see your name I read it as exBMXgrl. Now in my mind I always picture you as an adventurous free spirit flying through the air on your mountain bike.

• divinemrsm
    edited December 2016

❤️❤️❤️ Harper and Miles...beautiful!!!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2016

Thanks all. As you have seen, Miles is a bit of a ham and loves the camera. Couldn't resist posting one more, because, as we all know, every 8 month old needs a new set of wheels 😉.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited December 2016

Such adorable grandchildren- enjoy every minute with them!!!!!

Babs

• Sattipearl
    edited December 2016

Baby therapy is The Best. Thanks for sharing.

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited December 2016
    I took a little BCO break, but now I'm getting caught up on the weddings (Amy - you look stunning!), birthdays, trips, and gorgeous grandbabies. It makes my heart happy to see all of your smiling faces.

I've been in a bit of a non-cancer related funk for the past month and a half. What a luxury to be depressed over something besides cancer! But, I've decided that it is time to stop wallowing, so today I used my day off to straighten my craft room and the area where I get ready for work. I threw away a ton of old cosmetics, and finally put my wig, wig care products, and hats/scarves in a big box to be moved to the basement. Boy did that feel good!
  • Lita57
    edited December 2016

It's Olaf Therapy for me...

And here's DD, our Bulldog Sofia and me after we returned from the Nutcracker on Christmas Eve. We had a nice time. ((I'm exhausted from all the walking and cooking...camped out in the La-Z-Boy now with the heat and massage unit going full blast!))

Sending hugs and love to you all.

Lita

• Stilts
    Stilts Member Posts: 228
    edited December 2016

Lita: Sofia sure is a cutie!...my DD has a rescued English bulldog named "Petunia"..she is a rescue dog who was described as a "hospice " rescue who had been over bred...she is certainly thriving under my daughters care and is a real sweetie