Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited July 2017

Hard to believe that Miles and Harper are already 15 and 12 mos. Time is flying by, but that's a good thing, too. I'm late chiming in about Butchart Gardens, but it's been 23 years since my DH and I were there and we absolutely loved it! We're planning a trip this fall to that area and hope to go to the gardens again this time with our DD who wasn't around back then. Thanks for sharing the photo Sadie; just how I remember it.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited July 2017

Boy Lita, It's crazy how essential movies become when you don't feel well. I am a HUGE classic movie fan. Especially late 40's through the 50"s. Nostalgia I guess but also the great stories they tell. I keep a nice collection on hand for when TV stinks and I can't read. Bette Davis and Olivia De Havilland are two of my faves!

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited July 2017

Lita57  Always adding to my must watch list for those days when I just don't want to move  Thank you

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,252
    edited July 2017
    Hi All,

I'm at the tail end of a two week trip to the East Coast. Staying with my 89 year old father whose health ,physical and cognitive, has deteriorated tremendously since I was here last summer. My brother and I are wrestling with some tough issues. I am so sad to see this downhill slide.

On a happy note, I spent a few days in the Bronx with my dearest and oldest (since high school) friend. We are planning on taking a class at Oxford next summer. All part of the normal life, both the good and the bad. I am glad to be alive and well enough to embrace it all.
  • artistatheart
    edited July 2017

Oh Caryn, So sorry to hear about your Dad. If it's any comfort at least you are able to take the trip and be with him....

On your happy note, it's so wonderful to have old friends who know us so well, to spend time with!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052
    edited July 2017

ebx~ god bless your family and your father. I am sorry to hear he's not doing as well as last time you saw him.I will say some prayers. Hang in here. ~M~

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited July 2017

My two girls, two-legged biological daughter and four-legged adopted daughter, out for errands with my DH.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited July 2017

Caryn, I am sorry that your dad's health is declining. I am sure that he feels comfort from your presence. It is difficult to watch our loved ones get older or sick. I hope you and your brother have been able to make some decisions about your father's future care.

Taking a course at Oxford sounds like an amazing opportunity and experience.

Lynne

• GraceDD
    GraceDD Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2017

So beautifully said, then and now!

• Wiegp22
    Wiegp22 Member Posts: 167
    edited July 2017

Lita57,

Do you still get de from Zometa, Just had my second infusion and am tired and lots of sore bones, do you know is these are commiom

Paula.

• artistatheart
    edited July 2017

LOL! Cute picture Lita! Your DD looks all grown up.

Lynne, you have such an eloquent way with words......

• exbrnxgrl
    edited July 2017

Thank you all for your sympathetic posts. I can honestly say that seeing what dementia has done to my father is truly heartbreaking. I am saddened, overwhelmed and exhausted by my time there. Honestly, this has upset me much, much more than my own dx. I found myself having to treat my father like a petulant child in order to get even the simplest things done and I felt truly awful about it. I am back in CA now and feel guilty that I'm so far away. My brother and SIL live about an hour away from my dad and are wonderful but part of my guilt, of course, is that so much falls on their shoulders. All part of life I realize and I must accept it but it is not easy

• exbrnxgrl
    edited July 2017

Wiego/Paula,

The bone mets thread is a good place to ask about Zometa, since many with bone mets are on it or similar drugs.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/...

There is also a recent thread titled Zometa and Angry (or something close to that).

I try not to police this thread, but I would like to keep it as on topic as possible!

Take care,

Caryn

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2017

I had my bi-annual PET scan this morning. I wish I could say it gets easier, but I struggle more and more each time. Six years of NED has been a gift for which I am eternally grateful, but it feels like my number may be up soon. I have no reason to believe this rationally, but it feels like the longer I go on, the smaller my chances of remaining NED become. This is based purely on emotion. Sigh, will just have to wait for the results.

On a happier note, had a great beach day with younger DD and Miles yesterday. He loved it, but may have gotten a record amount of sand in his diaper!

imageimage

• Freya
    Freya Member Posts: 329
    edited August 2017

Adorable pics.

Why is it that chubby little feet are so cute on a baby, not so cute when mine swell.

I'll keep everything crossed that you continue to dance with NED :)

• Lita57
    edited August 2017

Freya, I hate it too when I get "Fred Flintstone" feet Loopy.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2017

Thanks, Freya! All chubby parts are adorable on babies. On me? Not so much 😜.

• artistatheart
    edited August 2017

LOL! Sand in the diapers can be quite the challenge. Gosh he's adorable. Caryn, you my just be NED forever! Believe!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited August 2017

Caryn. Miles is sooooo cute! I am so looking forward to the birth of our grandson in December! I'm hoping that you stay NED forever!!!!

Babs

• bigbhome
    bigbhome Member Posts: 721
    edited August 2017

Caryn - That little guy is so cute! I bet you just light up when you see him! My two!

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited August 2017

Love the little people pics   My kids 23 and 19 are too young for grandchildren - but I can't wait!!  

Nel

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2017

This thread has been quiet of late. What are you all doing to bring joy to your lives and give MBC the finger?

I am about a week and a half in to the school year and am falling in love with 23 new students. Eclipse viewing was a blast and it was good to share it through a child's eyes. Yes, I am wiped out when I get home but the pleasure and purpose I get from work are well worth it.

Two bits of very good news. First, my PET scan, earlier in August, shows NED. Second, I am expecting another grandchild in early March! Take that MBC 😝.

Hope everyone is doing as well as possible. Have a good weekend

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited August 2017

WOOHOO and congratulations, Caryn. Those are both fantastic bits of news. I love it when people report that they are NED. It gives me hope that I will be there someday, too. I recall that you said you were a little nervous about your scans this time. I am glad the news was so good. Of course, having a new grandchild on the way is also wonderful to hear. I hope you are celebrating big time for the good news

I don't have anything that big to report. My DH and I have had a busy summer traveling throughout New England and also to SC to watch our grandchildren play in baseball and soccer tournaments. I feel better and stronger than I have in years. I hope that's a good sign. Hmm, even if it isn't a sign of anything, in the spirit of giving MBC the finger, I will say, "I feel great, and I am enjoying life, so take that MBC!" Next up, a trip to Hawaii in November.

Lynne

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited August 2017

Congrats exbrnxgrl on both NED and the new grand baby!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited August 2017

Caryn. NED is the best news you could share with us followed by the new grand baby!!!!!

Babs

• bigbhome
    bigbhome Member Posts: 721
    edited August 2017

exbrngrl - Hooray for NED and hooray for the New grandbaby! You have given us a shot of hope. Thanks! We can't wait to see lots of pics of the new grandbaby!

Lynne - Great way to give MBC the finger! Sounds like a great way to spend summer!

Babe - We know you are giving it the finger , enjoying family time in Israel!

We have been keeping busy with all our new construction going on. Next month we are going to Texas to see family and in October, we are going to Tennessee camping and horseback riding. The next couple of months will keep me busy getting the horses ready!

Hugs and prayers

Claudia

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2017

Thank you all for the congrats, on both bits of happy news.

Lynne, my anxiety grows with each PET scan. With 6 years on this path and NED since initial tx, which I chalk up to luck, I feel like this lucky streak will have to come to an end. So each scan brings me closer er and closer to progression. This not necessarily logical, but simply the emotional contortions that come with MBC. Sigh...

I bought some yarn for a newborn size sweater in a neutral color. When they find out the baby's gender, I'll buy buttons for it in either boy or girl traditional colors. Can't wait to cast on! BTW, it's hard to imagine Miles being a big brother, as he's not quite 17 months old yet. He does like to kiss my dd's tummy and say "bay-be", though I'm sure he has no idea what that means!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2017

On a funny note, my granddaughter started kindergarten . I asked her about her teacher. She told me she had curly hair and glasses. Jokingly, I said that I had curly hair and glasses and maybe I was her teacher. She put her hands on her hips and said, with great seriousness, " No, her name is Ms. D., YOUR name is Mimi, so you are not my teacher!"

• Freya
    Freya Member Posts: 329
    edited August 2017

Congratulations on all your good news, enjoy these great moments. Kids come out with the cutest things.

• Lita57
    edited August 2017

Our new fire pit. We had our DD's graduation party and DH's 60th b'day combined this afternoon. A great distraction 4 me since I'm facing an MRI for brain mets next week. My head pain and eye issues cooperated today, thankfully, and of course a glass or two of wine didn't hurt either

Eff u, Mr Cancer!