Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited December 2017

Cicagoan - I picked up that magazine to read the article at the lobby and then was called in and didn't have time *yet. Thank you for posting it here, I read it.

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited December 2017

exbrnxgrl, sorry your DD was having a hard time, but good to hear she and baby are better now. I had several acupuncture treatments last year for joint pain and neuropathy. Can't say it helped my knee pain tremendously, but it did work really well on my foot neuropathy resolving 90% in my right foot and 70% in my left. I'm not a needle person either, so I didn't look, but it's really not too bad. Wishing you good luck.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited December 2017

exbrnxgrl

The needles for acupuncture are really not a big deal. I found it all very relaxing. Glad your dds pregnancy is back on track!

Bab

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,252
    edited December 2017

Thank you all for your reassurances on acupuncture. My appointment is this afternoon. I''m going dress shopping with DD this morning as she wants a new dress to wear to her baby shower. I think my primary role will be to keep my grandson occupied, but of course, I don't mind 😉. Will report back on the acupuncture later

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2017

Here's what happened during my first acupuncture session:

My joint pain from letrozole , while not crippling, is no fun and I have to take naproxen sodium daily. So off I went today for my first acupuncture appointment. I am needle phobic so kept my eyes closed. The needles, Inserted in scalp, right hand and tops of both feet, were placedquickly and painlessly. Then, the lights were dimmed and I just relaxed for about 40 minutes. Removal was fast and easy and I liked that the acupuncturists counted the needles as he removed them.

Too soon to tell if it's made a difference, but I'm hopeful. I have another session scheduled for next week.

• Bliss58
    edited December 2017

exbrnxgrl, sounds like it all went well for you. I think you'll find it will take several sessions before you have a noticeable change, but I'm hopeful for you, too!

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited December 2017

imageHappy New Year all, wanted to share this something my husband found on LinkedIn 😊😊

• henrietta405
    henrietta405 Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2017

Thanks for sharing, Wendy3!

I had my last of 6 rounds of Taxol today. Next month I’m having all the post chemo scans and moving on to just H&P. I really feel like I’m moving into a new phase of learning to live with Stage 4 cancer — into the rest of my new life and out of the emergency rush of first diagnosis and treatment

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited December 2017

Wendy - I appreciate the post. "Priorities are revealed when abilities are stripped." I am finding this to be so true this year.

Here's to a new year coming in. May we all move through with grace, hope and love for all around us.

The end of 2011 I thought I would not be around for the next holiday season. Here I am in 2017 looking at the opening of 2018.

Here we are.

Sobering to consider all who have gone on before us, dying too early. May we learn from their strength and experiences too.

I was told to explore hospice now, basically while I still feel good enough to do so, and I will explore.

But for me, right now, I am looking at this as the year I have hospice up my sleeve, let's say finally done, checked on list. But I want to get through it on my feet and with an appetite and with energy and creativity and the power to use it. And I want to sing again.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2017

I envisioned this thread as one that gives hope to those living with stage IV bc. Yes, we all the lead lives altered by this disease, with many suffering on so many fronts and I certainly don't want to diminish the tough path they're traveling, but I want to stay focused on the normal things that we still experience and the joy that life can bring even with stage IV.

So, if you are not comfortable with positivity or the fact that a small, but hopefully growing, number of us live a pretty good life with stage IV, then this is a thread to avoid. I know we are a very minority (and our status can change in a heartbeat) but we are a face of stage IV too.

I have been fortunate in that my bc care, family, friends and co-workers are been, with rare exception, pretty wonderful. I am not angry, resentful or bitter in the least, but that is just me and I make no judgement on how others act/react to bc. Please understand that this is just normal for me, and though I expect it of no one else, let this thread provide hope andpositivity to all who seek it.

May you all have the best 2018 possible!

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited December 2017

Caryn, Thank you for creating this thread and keeping it active. I always look forward to reading the news and thoughts that people post here. It does provide me with a sense of hope. Like you, I have been fortunate to continue to live a normal life since my diagnosis. I don't look sick, I don't feel sick, and I don't act sick. I realize that things can change tomorrow, but I try to enjoy the present rather than fear the unknown future. I know this isn't possible for everyone.

What I like most about this thread is reading the great variety of experiences that each of us has in spite of MBC. Life does go on. People travel, get married, welcome grandchildren, find new jobs, move to new homes, get new pets. Bad things also continue. People divorce, lose loved ones, have good friends turn their backs on them. Life doesn't stop when MBC begins.

This thread serves the very purpose that you hoped it would. Thank you again for giving us this gift filled with positive thoughts.

Have a happy New Year!

Lynne

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2017

Thanks, Lynne! I was hoping that since we have a very serious disease, we'd be exempt from other "bad" life experiences, but I suppose that as long as we live, we embrace the good and cope with the bad. Such is life!

Not too many more weeks until I welcome my third grandchild! I'm also getting a student teacher in mid-January. I love mentoring new members of my profession and I can always use an extra pair of hands !

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2018

exbrngrl - I thank you for starting this thread. It provided me a lot of hope when I was first diagnosed two years ago and helped me to put everything into perspective. It gave me added confidence that I could keep living my life and that MBC would not define me.

Congratulations on your third grandchild!

I wish you all a wonderful 2018!

• Bliss58
    edited January 2018

I agree with Lynne's and DGHoff's comments wholeheartedly as they ring true for me, too! Cheers to you all for a life lived well in 2018.

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited January 2018

I love this thread   Can't wait until I can post pics of grandchildren  My kids 24 and 19 are not even in the ballpark   Hoping I am here when the time comes.  Love all the other milestones!   

That we and others may continue into 2018 with relatively good health and quality of life

Nel

• sabatey54
    sabatey54 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2018

I could ID with your post,as a Brca 2,Stage 1V oligometastatic to the spine. I am 18 months since diagnosis. Finshed chemo,radiation and BSO surgery.7 weeks ago .

Pet scheduled in 3 weeks ugh.

I struggle either recent depression so will look at anti depression methods this week!!

Waiting on a grandchild some day??

Thx u for sharing

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited January 2018

Life continues for me! My DH and I walked 6 miles to check out a Thai restaurant in the cold. Then watched the snow fall from the window of our hotel room. It was a memorable 37th wedding anniversary.

• GraceDD
    GraceDD Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2018

Hello Bluebird-DE, "Yes" to those items we need/want to check off of our To Do list. FYI both my Mom and Aunt "enjoyed" 3-years of Hospice! Sing! (I took DH to his 1st Kareoki this Holiday!)

Thanks to Wendy3 who posted great inspirations. I strive to keep this MBC stuff to just 15% of my day. (Ha, with juicing, enemas, supplements, SE/side effects, organic food and exercise, it's much more!). I keep a close watch on my attitudes! I am embracing 2018 as "a new normal", emotionally ignoring the Dx. (My markers are "high normal range"; will re-check tomorrow. Half the markers are "resistant".)

This holiday, we gave all the family "Life is Good" tee-shirts. Mine is hot pink/peach/light blue, and says, "life is not perfect. life is not great. Life is Good." I find this moment IS great, and presently quite an adventure! The other blue shirt says, "grateful". YEAH!

So all this will keep me busy learning to play Bridge, and growing food with my DH for 4 more years til he retires; (This will coincide with 5 years since Dx/Rx Letozole/Femara, and re-evaluation time.)

To come out of loneliness, I opened up a Facebook page, and found long lost dear friends in Germany, Belgium, Mexico, Kona and throughout Cascadia! Wow, seeing my friends' faces and pictures, I'm really feeling the Love!

I'm striving to count/recognize my blessings; and to notice/release my inner "whiner". What a miracle these med's are, and this website, and that we found each other for friendship/encouragement.

Sorry to ramble! Happy 2018 - I hope we find love and meaning in each day/week. Love & Hugs,

--Diane

• GraceDD
    GraceDD Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2018

Sabatey54, I take B-vitamin "Thorne Deproloft-HP"... to lift up brain chemicals of depression, fog and fatigue; it sure helps me!! Good energy uplift, too. My CAM ND (Alternative ND in ONC's office) prescribed them. Worth every penny. I take one upon waking; and a second one before lunch (plus 1 Exedrin, to cover up the headache SE).

Great to talk to you all. Love and Happiness in 2018! --Diane

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2018

graceDD,

Wow! I'm impressed by your busy self care routine. Me? Doing nothing special, just living with my "all things in moderation " credo. I'm in my seventh year of NED, without any progression. Who knows what will happen, but trying to live everyday as happily as I can serves me well.

We need some more photos of the great things we're doing. After all, as much as I love my grandchildren, you all must have some good holiday pics. Anyone?

PS: I will post pics of my new granddaughter when she's born. Only 7 more weeks

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2018

I guess I lied. Shortly after my previous post, my older DD sent me this pic of my granddaughter. She was peeling garlic and thought her mother's sunglasses would protect her from the fumes reaching her eyes 😍 And yes, she chose her outfit. She currently favors sundresses over leggings.

• bigbhome
    bigbhome Member Posts: 721
    edited January 2018

What a cutie! She looks so intent on what she is doing! I am going camping and horseback riding at the end of the month. I will post pictures. We are going with a large group of people we know. Keep on keepin on!

Claudia

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited January 2018

Always inspiring to read here! exbrnxgl, we appreciate the expression, "just living with my "all things in moderation"". Great motto!

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited January 2018

Recent winter break trip to Kauai with family.

Lucky me!!

Stefanie

• sandibeach57
    edited January 2018

Saving cold stunned sea turtles.

• bigbhome
    bigbhome Member Posts: 721
    edited January 2018

Wow, stefajoy! What a great trip! Thank you for the beautiful pictures!

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited January 2018

sandi, you saved him?

• sandibeach57
    edited January 2018

Stefajoy, yes, the Loggerhead survived. It took 3 of us to carry him to a vehicle..about 90 pounds. He was eventually transferred to an aquarium where a vet will oversee his care. Probably released back to ocean in the Spring. We all deserve another chance..

• Bliss58
    edited January 2018

SandiBeach, very cool! Yay for saving turtles, and yay for Kauai, Stefajoy! Thanks for sharing, ladies.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited January 2018

Yay Sandibeach. Now that’s my idea of making each moment count! Wish I could have been there along side you.