Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited January 2018

sandi, for some reason that Is so meaningful to me. That’s a mitzvah if I ever saw one. Reminds me of an old story. There is a father and son walking on the beach. There are hundreds of beached starfish. The boy picks one up and throws it back into the ocean. Then he pick up another and does the same. When he picks up a third one his dad says, “son..you can’t save them all.” To which the son replies, as he tosses the starfish into the sea “I know. But I can save this one.”

Can’t help but thinking we are the starfish.

• bigbhome
    bigbhome Member Posts: 721
    edited January 2018

Stefajoy - That is a wonderful story! So very true!

Sandibeach - You are my new hero! That is a big turtle! We get a lot of turtles crossing the roads here and I always stop and move them to the other side. I have seen so many run over. We have had a couple of gopher turtles nest in our yard. They are protected here.

Claudia

• CanaLoon
    CanaLoon Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2018

BH&Stef - love the image of the child and starfish ... I think I'll happy take on the starfish role ... makes my day. Thanks!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,252
    edited January 2018

Thank you all for the wonderful pics! So beautiful 😊

• lkellyr
    lkellyr Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2018

Thank you SO MUCH for this post (well, original post and subsequent comments). I've only read the first page and last 2 pages, but it's helped a lot. I received my Stage IV confirmation last night. I have no spread to bones or organs but to 4 lymph nodes, and because of 2 of their distance to the lump in my breast, that makes me IV instead of III. It's hard coping with this, but reading your post helped me know it's not a death sentence. Thank you again.

• CanaLoon
    CanaLoon Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2018

lkellyr - it's always such scary news to get but this is a great group with all kinds of support and good information. Stage 3 would be better than Stage 4. But you'll have been through this before and know that nothing ever happens quickly. They'll have to set up your basic health standards and then put a plan together. There are side effects but personally they aren't nearly as bad as my first go around with surgery/chemo/radiation. And there is lots of good news about trials and a couple of new drugs. Sigh! Welcome to the club, there's lots of good news to be had.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2018

My younger DD had her baby shower brunch today. It was a lovely day . Here is a pic of DD. Six weeks to go!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2018

Exbrnxgrl. Your dd looks amazing !!! Wishing her an easy delivery!!! Babies are the best!!!!

Bab

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited January 2018

Caryn, I agree with Babs. Your dd looks great. How is she feeling? I am sure those 6 weeks will fly by for you. I look forward to pictures of the newborn.

Lynne

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2018

Thanks Lynne and Babs. She is off all restrictions now and feeling mostly well. I am still a bit surprised (but pleasantly so) that maternity clothing is so fitted these days (yes, that's a maternity dress). I noticed this trend several years ago , when my older DD was pregnant. What a change from the loose, smock like maternity clothes of the past!

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited January 2018

Caryn, I know what you mean about maternity clothes. Styles sure have changed. Back when I was pregnant, I sometimes referred to my maternity wardrobe as my tent collection. I must admit that the clotheswere comfortable.

• GraceDD
    GraceDD Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2018

imageexbrnxgrl, Thanks so much for your encouraging and uplifting response. I presently wonder how to overcome this 5th week of flu/cold in 3 months...

Yes, pictures about what we are doing! #1 "Life Is Good" Shirts for Christmas! ("Life is not easy. Life is not perfect. Life is Good".) #2 Juicing (June'17; I don't have that much energy anymore, and buy them daily in town):

imagel

• GraceDD
    GraceDD Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2018

bjsmiller, Kyoto, Japan should be gorgeous in April, with the Sakura (cherry blossoms) starting to bloom. Ages ago, I took a little train to Yoshino, where all of the rolling hills and dales were covered in pink cherry blossoms, in every direction.

• bigbhome
    edited January 2018

GraceDD, thank you for sharing your pictures and experiences with us! You look wonderful and happy! I now have a beautiful image in my mind of cherry blossoms!

• ABeautifulSunset
    edited January 2018

I've been on afinitor and Faslodex for about a month now, and physically and mentally I feel better than I have felt in the 3 previous years on other treatments.

I’ve had such a gloriously busy (in a good way) December and January. Spent a few days up in the mountains, came home and three days later left for Hawaii, came home and the following weekend went to Vegas with my sister to visit my Dad who is turning 83 this week, and my step mom. Now I’m home, tired...but pumped from enjoying beautiful moments and having beautiful life experiences.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2018

Love all of the pics! We need to keep enjoying life for as long as we can

• bigbhome
    edited January 2018

Stefajoy - Thank you for sharing your story and pictures! You look radiant!

Claudia

• ABeautifulSunset
    edited January 2018

aw thank you, Claudia. It was a happy weekend.

• babs6287
    edited January 2018

Stefajoy There’s nothing like quality time with our family to refresh us and to make us happy. Thank you fir sharing the pictures!

Bab

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2018

GraceDD, alas I think we'll be in Kyoto just after the cherry blossoms; darn. I'm still hopeful though! Thanks everyone for sharing photos. You all look great enjoying life.

• Ca2729
    Ca2729 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018

just diagnosed in oct. ca2729>9000. Thank you for this post. Mother of 3, initially diagnosed in 2011 at 36, having hard time with recurrence but this post helped me get up and out today. Thank you so muc

• Max_otto
    Max_otto Member Posts: 124
    edited February 2018

Dear ca2729,

I'm so sorry to hear of your recurrence but please change your user name, don't identify yourself with a test, you are much more than a number. I am going on 25 years with BC, several times with local recurrances and now starting my fourth year with mets.

There are many treatments available to you, take care.

I just looked at the latest posts, enjoyed the pics. I've been very fortunate with a great medical team, supportive family and friends, many don't know my health issue, so far I live life as usual and essentially I'm happy. My DH and I will also celebrate our 25th anniversary this spring. We are in the planning stages of ideas.

Kathy

• Bliss58
    edited March 2018

Max_otto, your story is very encouraging to us all! Keep us posted on what you and DH decide to do for your 25th, and Congratulations! We'll look forward to more pictures.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2018

My beautiful new granddaughter, Ellie. She was born on March 1 and weighed 7 lbs.,10 oz. It was an easy birth (one push, amazing!) and everyone is doing well. We are all overjoyed

• Bliss58
    edited March 2018

Oh, what wonderful news, a new granddaughter! Glad to hear it was an easy birth, she's healthy and all are doing well. Congratulations!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2018

Thank you!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052
    edited March 2018

She’s amazingly perfect! I am thrilled for you and your family. May life be good to her, and give her all the happiness she desires. Congrats to you grandmother!! ~M~

• ABeautifulSunset
    edited March 2018

So beautiful and such a blessing for you all. I’m a little jealous. My kids are still young (16 and 20). Hope I make it to grandma status.

Congrats!!

Sunset (previously stefa joy)

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2018

abeautifulsunset,

You never know! When I was first dx'ed, I had no grandchildren and my younger DD wasn't even married. Baby Ellie is my third. I once doubted I would live to see any.

Thanks for all the good wishes

• babs6287
    edited March 2018

What a beauty! It’s these beautiful babies that we need to be strong for! Love her all you can

Babs