Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    Options

Hello ladies! 

Stitch, I hope you are doing well. 

Bumping this up in case anyone has questions.

I hope everyone is doing well with their TEs and their exchanges.

Madelyn  

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Thanks Mominator for the bump! Anyone out there have questions?

• rrshannon
    rrshannon Member Posts: 59
    Options

How does a leaking TE feel? Should a TE stay hard after fill? I had my first fill 5 days ago they removed the 100cc of air and filled with 250cc of saline. Last night the TE didn't feel as hard and seemed smaller, could it be less swelling, I am just over 4 weeks out from suregery I also have a seroma on both sides that were drained at the same time and it feels like there is more fluid once again

• moonflwr912
    Options

rrshannon, yes. And no. If you had swelling it will feel harder, when the swelling goes down, it will feel softer. If it is leaking, you will notice it, but maybe not right away. Call your doctor. I know, I know, it isnt fun to have to check all the time, but thats what they are there for. In the early stages of filling, I didnt really notice the TEs. Only later as they filled up were they hard for me. Especially bwcayse you have seromas, be especially careful If your skin is red, or hot, or you run a fever CALL the doctor right away. Infection is an unfortunate possibility, and the faster it is caught the better. Hugs.

• rrshannon
    Options

Moonflwr912 yes I called surgeon and they were booked since it was not red or hot and I didn't have a fever they waited for my regular appointment today. They said it looked good, there was nothing to drain today on the side with the expander so that is good. She also said it won't feel hard until it is filled more. So that is good to know, everyone I knew that had expander before always said the fills hurt so bad and since mine didn't I thought maybe it weren't staying filled. But the swelling is a lot better so that is probably why the size looks smaller and fills softer. Almost 5 weeks out and I am glad to finally be felling a lot better. Now to get the other expander back in and start the fill process on that side, but that isn't sceduled until June 17th.

• moonflwr912
    Options

rrshannon, so glad its ok for you. Everyone is different, so sometimes things seem weird gor you. LOL. Hang in there, its not a race, things go bettet if you can take your time in the reconstructive phase. Hugs.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Bumping

• Meesha1978
    Meesha1978 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi All!

I just got my TE last Friday. I feel pretty good and am managing with Tylenol. Two drains...it is what it is. Only had one at mastectomy, but that was one enough to become a pro. When I read the 3 Rules posted at the top, I was thrilled about the “why am I doing this?" Honestly, I almost canceled the surgery thinking I was just fine with being flat on one side. I had figured out the prosthesis thing, and the right clothes to wear, etc. So why bother? The moment I woke up in recovery and looked down, I saw cleavage where there used to be hollowness and I had tears! I am thrilled even if it feels like the TE is in my throat! Lol

My PS placed it pre-pectoral and fills should begin in about 2 weeks. It's very partially filled with air at the moment. The tightness definitely show up more towards my armpit and collarbone, but that is where I was most hollow.

This growing a new boob with be a fascinating experience!

• moonflwr912
    Options

Meesha, Im glad you found us! I had a lot of detours on my reconstruction journey, and found BCO. Hope this helps you too!

Feel free to PM me if I dont pop in here often enough!

Much love

• rrshannon
    Options

Meesha1978 glad you TE expander surgery went well. I had my right TE placed back in yesterday. They put on an ace bandage and a compression garment so I haven't see what it looks like. Looking forward to seeing the new one tomorrow. I am also able to just do Tylenol, mostly the pain is when I get up and down otherwise it is not bad just staying put. My TE were placed Subpectoral so they aren't high but are slightly in the underarm area but have not been to bad. The left side fills have been doable and not painful so far.

• moonflwr912
    Options

rrshannon, glad your exchange went well. Hugs. Heres hoping for fast healing.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Bumping!

• Mominator
    Options

It looks like all is well in TE land. I hope all our new TE friends are doing well with their TEs.

If you're not doing well, or have any questions, please let us know.

• berries
    berries Member Posts: 80
    Options

I'm about 6 weeks out from a uMX and had quit a bit of skin to start with. I had a tissue expander placed under the muscle and I was a 34C and on the other side, I went down to a B cup.

I'll have my third fill tomorrow and still have quite a bit of "folding" of my breast skin... the saline does not want to seem to go down to the bottom of my breast, so therefore it is kind of deflated down there, but filled significantly at the top/outside. My plastic surgeon just mentioned this would take some time to fill and even told me to press down as much as I can each day (like squeezing toothpaste??).

Has anyone experienced folding during the reconstruction process? Did your breast skin eventually even out? Is this even normal?

Thank you so much!!

• Mominator
    Options

I did not have that problem, but probably someone else has.

If your PS is not concerned, he/she has probably seen this before.

Continue following your PS's instructions. Your TE may have empty space that is causing the fold. TEs will continue to expand the tissue until you and your PS decide your breast is expanded enough for implants.

Good luck and patience to you.

Mominator

• moonflwr912
    Options

Thanks Mominator for helping to keep this thread going.

Merry Christmas!

• moonflwr912
    Options

if anyone needs help, please PM me. I can reply faster. Much love to all.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Bump

• Tunik
    Tunik Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hello ladies,

I have a question about the TE placement. I had my BMX about 6 week ago with TE placement. They seem to be high and pretty far apart. Is it normal?

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

My tissue expanders were much higher when they were put in. Now they have dropped like my old droopy boobs :)

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    LiveLoveLaugh2020 Member Posts: 173
    Options

Tuni that is normal. My expanders were the exact same way. The implants won’t be that high or far apart.

• LaVue
    LaVue Member Posts: 69
    Options

As I read through this thread, I gain courage and then I read some more and I just weep. It's such a roller coaster. I've been in pain since Dec. Had a breast infection (that's when they found out about the cancer). Once the infection was gone I was in pain due to the biopsy. I had the first two biopies in Feb and have hematoma. I'm still in pain (though much less. It's more of an annoyance now than pain pain). The mastectomy is postponed due to the coronavirus. At this rate it seems like I'll be in pain for the rest of the year (surgery, TEs). I'm so tired already and my journey has just begun.

All that said, as I waver on living flat vs implants this thread is very helpful.

• moonflwr912
    Options

lavue, Im sorry i havent posted. I get carried away with life and sometimes its awhile to get back here. You make your decision based on what you want. And, dont rush. Its not a race. Hugs. Im glad this thread is helpful. Thats what its for.

• LaVue
    Options

Thanks! I've decided on the implants. Searched for a plastic surgeon I'm comfortable with. My bilateral mastectomy is on June 10th. Want to get this cancer stuff over with!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,085
    Options

Bumping for more coverage

• moonflwr912
    Options

lavue, hope you are doing well! Safe surgery!

• LaVue
    Options

Thanks! The PS injected 100cc. Two out of the four drains are out. The journey has begun.

• moonflwr912
    Options

I'm glad you were able to have your surgery on time. Here's hoping for an express train for your healing!

• LaVue
    Options

The plastic surgeon said it's up to me whether I have weekly or bi-monthly tissue expansions. I am considering weekly because I want to put this experience behind me as quickly as possible. But I'm not sure if bimonthly is the better route. Or it doesn't make a difference as long as I can tolerate weekly sessions.

Is there something I'm missing?

• wulfgirl4
    wulfgirl4 Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hi, I'm 5 months out from my double mastectomy and I still have a lot of discomfort under my armpit. Is that the tissue expander or just nerve damage? Some days it's worse than others. It's a very hard sensation to describe. Sometimes it feels like I am wearing a cardboard box and my arm keeps hitting the edge of it. Will this ever go away?