Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• wulfgirl4
    wulfgirl4 Member Posts: 20
    Options

LaVue,

I feel the same exact way... I want this behind me! However, it seems the fuller I get, the more pain I experience, so I'm taking a week in between fills. I teach, so I wanted it all done by the time school starts in the Fall. I've decided, however, that I want it done right... and I'm not going to suffer by pushing thru every week for a fill. If I have to take time off from school for the exchange surgery, I will.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    LiveLoveLaugh2020 Member Posts: 173
    Options

LaVue and wulfgirl I was one of those who was in extreme pain and discomfort the entire time I had my expanders. Didn’t matter if I had weekly expansions or every two weeks. So I did mostly every 7-10 days since I was in pain regardless. Always was really sore and uncomfortable after expansions and had to take Motrin for a couple of days. So do what you think will work best for you.

Wulfgirl are your expanders wide apart and into your armpits more so than on your chest? Than that might be the case.

Those darn expanders are torture! I hope you both feel better soon. The exchange surgery is an instant relief. Good luck with everything else going forward.

• wulfgirl4
    wulfgirl4 Member Posts: 20
    Options

LiveLoveLaugh2020

I think my right one (expander) is further into my armpit than the left one, but I really am not sure. Everything is worse on the right side, but that’s where the worst cancer was and where they took the most nodes

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    Options

LaVue - I voted for bi-monthly and smaller amounts. Once a week made the skin stretching WAY too painful. Yes, it took a little longer - but I wasn't in as much pain.

Wulf - tissue expanders are often compared to turtle shells, but a box is a good analogy. I can't think of anything that was more uncomfortable - or downright painful. And my PS believed in 6-8 months between BMX and exchange.

• LaVue
    LaVue Member Posts: 69
    Options

Thanks everyone. I decided to try 50 CC's every week. The expanders only go up to 450 so I am hoping that I can finish with the fills by the end of August. However, if I feel I can't tolerate weekly fills then I will cut back to bimonthly.

• LaVue
    LaVue Member Posts: 69
    Options

Quick update. My last fill was last week. I am scheduled for surgery on October 7th. The tissue expanders have not been a nuisance. For that I am grateful.

This thread was very helpful to me while I was debating whether to get implants or go flat. It wasn't an easy decision for me and I am glad that I had this sub-forum to turn to.

• startnew12212
    startnew12212 Member Posts: 45
    Options

imageHello everyone

I had a bilateral MX with TE placed immediately. All is going well with one concern. On one breast the TE is very visible. It’s like an edge is mildly poking through. I’m getting very worried about extrusion. My PS said at my next fill that will likely go away, but that isn’t for over a week. Thoughts? Pic attached.

• minustwo
    Options

startnew - I think you have to trust your PS. If not, I think you need a second opinion.

I actually did go get a second opinion after my TEs had been placed and they'd started to fill. I was aware that this second PS probably didn't want to take over a case in the middle, but I was glad to hear his independent opinion.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

I am one year post mastectomy and TE placement. With Covid, I have no idea when I am having reconstruction. I see that some of you actually have surgery scheduled. I want this to be over

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

Startnew I had the same issue. I’m very thin and my BS said I have very thin skin so every little bulge was noticeable. I had one particular area that eventually got better as they were filled but still noticeable even after the last fill.

Lauren so sorry. Hopefully you have your surgery as soon as possible. Those expanders are not fun at all. Hang in there.

• startnew12212
    Options

Thank you. Minus two. You always respond to me and it really means a lot. You’re awesome! I do trust my plastic surgeon. I am just worried. I reached out to him and I feel reassured. :) Thank you!

• startnew12212
    Options

Thank you livelove, I’m on the thinner side too. Good to know you had the same experience...and I’m assuming all went okay!

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

Yes, all went okay. I followed up with my BS a couple times during fills just to make sure because it freaked me out. Exchange surgery is so much easier, hang in there!

• startnew12212
    Options

Hi again! I just found out that I am going to have to have radiation. I am so upset! Anyone have radiation with TEs with a positive outcome?

• minustwo
    Options

Not only TEs, but I had actually radiation with implants already in place after ALND surgery that managed to cut around the capsule & save the implants.

Actually it's better to have TEs in place before rads. Radiated skin doesn't stretch as easily so you're starting out ahead of the game. Sorry you have to have rads, but I think you'll be OK.

• beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    Options

Can anyone who had delayed TE placement or otherwise had their TE's put in separate from their mastectomy tell me what the recovery was like? I am curious about both sub and pre pec TE-only recovery experiences. My PS is planning to try pre-pec but thinks he might have to go under the muscle depending on how my skin is holding up post rads. Thanks!

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

I had TEs during radiation too. I didn’t think I would have to have rads, then it was decided I should. It’s ok, just cream up, it is actually fine

• startnew12212
    Options

Thank you! Good to know that radiation with TEs works okay. I was so worried.

• MaritDW
    MaritDW Member Posts: 4
    Options

My experience is similar, but also on the bottom outside corner of the TE. Some of it I know is the expander, biut lots of nerves were cut in the insertion as well as in the mastectomy. I had 3 lympn nodes removed and that was more painful to recover from than the mastectomy. Probably because I had a nerve block for a few days after he surgery that worked on the breast but somehow seemed to miss the armpit. I still have areas that are numb on the back of my arm, half of my armpit, and on the side of my torso under my armpit. Kinda sucks, but it's all part of the process. It's ridiculously painful wearing a bra and I'm 53 with 5 kids, so while I';ve been filled to 650 and am looking good, the other side starts a full 6 inches lower and looks hilarious in contrast. I now own lots of jackets, sweaters, and scarves. lol

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Hoping all are doing well. Feel free to message me if no one comes to this board in a timely manner! Hugs and much live!

• JanetM
    JanetM Member Posts: 47
    Options

Trying to figure out if the pain in my armpits is from the expanders or the BMX itself. Either way it sucks

• jaybird627
    jaybird627 Member Posts: 1,227
    Options

Hi All,

I'm on my 2nd go-round with BC, and my 3rd expander on this 'journey'.

Question: got my 1st fill w/3rd expander today. I can hear the liquid.

My 1st & 2nd expanders were firm. Can anyone chime in?

Going to call surgeon's office/nurse tomorrow with questions.

Oh, and, 1st expander was after BMX, 2nd expander w/different surgeon - different state

due to wound healing issues expander was remove.

This 3rd expander is with a new surgeon - hopefully the best and last one!

I didn't notice the squishy-ness until I got home. I have orders to massage due to fluid/blood build-up.

Thanks!

J ~

• suzopedia
    suzopedia Member Posts: 19
    Options

Janet I have pain in my armpit also. The mx side. I was wondering what it was from and the PS said it was from the surgery. I keep doing my my stretches and it is improving.

• suzopedia
    suzopedia Member Posts: 19
    Options

I don't know much about expanders. After my first couple of fills I was squishy. And now very firm. Like there's a rock on my chest.

• minustwo
    Options

Yup Suze - I always equated them with turtle shells. Check out the "exchange" thread to read more about expanders.

• bluewillowskys
    bluewillowskys Member Posts: 268
    Options

im looking for info on post radiation (more than 5yrs) TEs then implant.....is this possible? Anyone have it done or done successfully?

• Crojas1221
    Crojas1221 Member Posts: 5
    Options

@suzopedia, I feel you lady! The expanders were so difficult for me to deal with. SO uncomfortable, but I have to say, it's been nine months since my final reconstruction surgery and I am pleased as punch. Hang in there!

• minustwo
    Options

blue - I have read on here that some docs are doing fat grafting in radiation sites and that allow the skin more leeway to accept a TE or implant. I'm not great with computers, but maybe you could find some of the posts with the search option.

• jaybird627
    jaybird627 Member Posts: 1,227
    Options

Blue,

I'm on my 3nd attempt on R side (after w/latt flap 2019) after 2 expander fails. I now have an infection (seemingly).

Weird because the R side was radiated in 2005. My L side radiated in 2018 and expander/implant took just fine.

I am now on an antibiotic awaiting healing or expander removal. Trying oregano oil to help w/healing.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

jaybirx, im sorry you have to deal with that. I had 2 expanders removed for infection. Know how you feel. Sucks. Hang in there 3rd time worked for me, going on6 years with it just fine.

Janet, did they have to remove your expander this time? Im hoping not, but I did not see the post earlier. Ill have to check my settings to make sure I get notices for this board.

I hope everyobe is having a great holiday!.

Much love, Moonflwr