Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo June 2014

Options

Comments

• Cammychris
    Cammychris Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2014
    Options

Starting on June 13th for chemo.  Still trying to mental prepare for this journey.  I am most scared of it knocking me down I have 6 kids and am always on the move.  I am thinking of  shaving my hair and donating it before it falls out.  I love my hair oh well I cherish my life more!  I hope everyone is doing well take care.

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited May 2014
    Options

Cammy,

I was going to donate mine. I could only find one place that would take color treated hair (I have a thing for highlights).

It had to be 10 inches long or more and grouped in sets of the same length. I had way too many layers for that so I gave up!

• Cammychris
    Cammychris Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2014
    Options

I have to be honest I am so scared of doing the chemo.  I really thought the odds were with me on not having to do it.  I am now feeling like I am having panic attacks thinking about it, has anyone else felt this way?

• loris66
    loris66 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi,

Everything is happening so fast. I was diagnosed 5/22 with IDC, grade 2, 2 tumors 2cm and 0.5 cm and DCIS grade 3 (No stage info yet). I am Starting chemotherapy in June and I am trying to prepare myself.  I will be doing Perjeta, Heceptin and Taxotere for 4 cycles.  Then the plan is to have a L mastectomy plus recovery and then start 5FU, Eprubicin and Cytoxan.  Is anyone else having this combo?  Is anyone else having the neo-adjuvant therapy and post surgical? 

My family is wonderful, but I would like some support from those who are going thru the same thing as I am.  I look forward to sharing our journeys together!

• Radical2Squared
    edited May 2014
    Options

Cammy, 

I'M WITH YA! I wouldn't say I have a panic attack... My reaction to all emotions (anger, fear, even love) is to cry! I am scared...not b/c I think I'll have a terrible reaction...or worse. I'm scared just because I know how much it will suck!

• Mompv
    Mompv Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2014
    Options

I am nervous about this as well and sad. I think I have made up my mind to go with the ACT regime, this reduces my odds by an extra 3% and since I am triple neg I want all the insurance I can get. 

I have gotten every book out of the library on breast cancer and cookbooks as well. It is interesting to read up on how to best eat and what foods may help with the side effects. Ginger seems to be prominent for nausea. One book had a recipe for a tea with ginger and cinnamon which sounded good. 

I also took the plunge last night and ordered a couple hats, a scarf, sleep cap and mesh sleep caps. The mesh ones are for capturing the hair while you sleep. Although I think you could wear it under a hat or scarf during the day when it starts to go. 

I want to add that my DH bought me for Mother's Day a book called "After Breast Cancer". He felt that I have read enough about what is going to happen next and should now look ahead to after treatment. 

Well enough rambling for now! It going to be a beautiful day here and I want to enjoy every moment of it. Especially since both my girls will be home. I plan on putting them to work cleaning and such. I want to get the spring cleaning done before I feel like....well crap! 

Enjoy your day everyone! Let's all make it a point to enjoy each day to its fullest because they are a blessing!!!!!

• Jeau
    Jeau Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2014
    Options

Just a howdy, I am new here. I start TC this Wednesday, 4 treatments on a 3-week cycle (much sooner than I had expected because I got an appointment last Thursday with the med. onc., bumped up from June 19). This is medically wise but I am not quite emotionally ready. Eeeeek!!! Got my teeth cleaned on Friday because I read that that's a good thing to do before chemo. People sorta know me by my hair and my smile, so I am freaking out more than I had expected. Yup,and I thought I was tough. Ha!!! Have been researching how to make a "hair headband" or "hair halo" with my own locks before it falls out on its own, not finding much in the way of quality DIY help, but I'm a craft vixen and this is ONE thing that I can actually control. Why the heck not? I've got nothing to lose. :)

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'm 2 weeks out from BMX this morning, haven't had my follow up with surgeon yet, but got a call this morning from oncologist, they had a cancellation this afternoon and asked me to come in. I saw him the Friday before my surgery, he wanted to see me after surgeon release but he got the paths last week so guess he thought he'd get me in soonest. He is a friend of a friend, don't know if that gets me any points, if so I'll take it. Nevertheless, he is one of the finest, if not the finest, oncologist by reputation in our medical overloaded area.

So I had a shower (thanking my DH for my new shower chair, even shaved my legs!) and my cousin is going to put some curl in my hair, and I found a nice button up summer shirt that won't show off my concave chest and lumpy underarms. No bra, just a plain white tank top (actually men's undershirt, most comfortable day/night wear invented!) Looking at my chest is somewhat daunting, I admit.

• Laurais50
    Laurais50 Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi I just started chemo the 30th of May Adriamycin, Cytoxan. I will go every 3 weeks 4 times and then 12 weeks of Taxol. I am really stressed out. I'm into my 3 day with very little symptoms, but stressed about the unknown. Like if and when things will happen to me. I have lost my appetite nothing sounds good at all. I feel tired, and a bit weak. I just don't know what to do. I feel kind of lost and confused. I guess I'm kinda looking for support of others going through this too. It's the unknown that is mostly getting to me.

• Basia
    Basia Member Posts: 345
    edited June 2014
    Options

Welcome Jeau! Sorry you are joining us. This isn't a club anyone really wants to be in, but we will help each other out as much as possible.  

Magdalene, what did the oncologist say?

• magdalene51
    edited June 2014
    Options

Guess I'm graduating out of this group; my chemo starts July 1.

Here's what the oncologist said: first, you're not a statistic. But since we don't have the power of prediction to use, we use statistics instead. We call it a cure if you are still cancer free in ten years.

Chances of a cure with surgery only: 17%

Chances with radiation and hormone therapy: 44%

Chances with chemo, radiation and hormone therapy: 59%

Here's the wild card I think; what I hadn't heard about the path report: microscopic involvement of chest muscle tissue. They got clean margins, but it did kinda throw me for a loop. Like, how do they know that, when they're in the surgery? How do they know how much to take?

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

I assume the surgeons have seen this thousands of time and know what looks suspicious. Also, there is some dye they use for the nodes, maybe that shows how far they need to go with the breast tissue/muscle tissue? Just a guess. Good luck starting chemo, but I think you need to recover more from your surgery before you should start it.  Relax and try not to think about it too much (impossible, I know).

• Cceandme
    Cceandme Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2014
    Options

Looks like I may be joining you ladies. I have a tentative start date for chemo of June 16th. Just waiting to hear from Dr to see if they are going to do another surgery to remove more lymph nodes . Hoping not. I also have an appointment in the morning to see if I need radiation also.  Good luck to you all

• gatorgal89
    gatorgal89 Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2014
    Options

Just dropped by to offer encouragement to those of you with start dates approaching. I viewed treatment as the solution to my bigger problem and that helped with the anxiety...sometimes. Other times, the boards helped so keep posting and sharing! =)

• magdalene51
    edited June 2014
    Options

Got a couple of interesting responses elsewhere:

Mine was checked while I was on the operation table by a portable lab and if any was seen they would have taken more. Then it's sent to the big lab for finally results within 10 days.

I'm an RN & went through all this 2 yrs ago.... They test tissue as they cut with their lab. They will keep removing tissue till there is no cancer cells in the tissue. 

So that answered that.

• aff
    aff Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi everyone,

I thought I would jump in here and offer some support. I started Chemo on Dec 19 and finished on May 2. I was scared, anxious, and had no idea what to expect. The first time I sat in the chair before the infusion started I cried, hard. That was the worst of it...then I knew what to expect. There will be side effects. They will be different for everyone. The information you will find here is great, but know that each one of you will not have every SE. It's great that when you do have a side effect you can come here for info on what to do or you may already have read about it. My friends and family would ask how I was doing. My standard response was "chemo sucks but I'm getting through it". It is doable and you will get through it. Just keep in mind that each treatment gets you one step close to kicking cancer's butt. Keeping the end in mind always kept my anxiety at bay.

Post as often as you need to, ask as many questions as you need to and know that you are not alone!

• Radical2Squared
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thank you aff and gatorgal!

It is nice to hear some positives and encouragement!

Cceandme,

You'll be the day before me if you keep your start date... I'm planning a fun weekend before it!

• Jeau
    Jeau Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thank you all for the encouragement, and I am sending it back out to the other newbies (and not-so-newbies) too.

This morning I went to Chemo Class, and I start TC tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed!

• Laurais50
    edited June 2014
    Options

I started chemo May 30th Adriamycin, Cytoxan and so far...IDK I am tired all the time, today my bones ache, and I'm cold considering it almost 80 outside. I want nothing to eat, but worried not to put nutrition in my body. I don't want to sound negative, but to me so far it sucks. I'm scared of the unknown, everyone reacts different so I really don't know what to expect. I guess just hope for the best, but I think it will get worse before it will get better...Now there is the silver lining, right now it's just so far away. Thank you for letting me dump my worries.

• magdalene51
    edited June 2014
    Options

Oh Laura, you are not alone. I haven't started, but I'm expecting the worst ride of thes 63 years. And on the other side of it I have radiation and hormone therapy. No, none of us are expecting a bed of roses (except maybe the thorns). But we will do whatever it takes to survive for the ones who love us. And someday there will be the other side, and we will remember it was bad, but we will be stronger for it. Grit your teeth and ride it out. We're here. 

• Homehelp
    Homehelp Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2014
    Options

My wife is now home after her first TC treatment .

No nausea or vomiting ... Tired and weak feeling 

Little anxiety and chest discomfort when starting the T , the first drug

Resolved with an Ativan 1mg

Will get nulesta  tomorrow 

Took Claritin 24 hr, just now and will take again tomorrow 

3 more to go 

Hope they will go well 

Good luck to everyone !!

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

Laura, talk to your oncologist.  There is no reason for you to feel this bad from the start.  There are so many drugs out there to help with each side effect.  I know when I go in tomorrow for my pre-chemo chat, I will walk out of there with a dozen rx's and I probably won't need most of them, but its better to have and not need than to need and not have.  My oncologist wants to know each and every SE I am feeling so he can give me something for it.  You mentioned bone pain, have you had a neulasta shot? If so, its most likely from that.  Take claritin daily, it will help.

• Homehelp
    edited June 2014
    Options

just curious, does anybody know when the side effects from chemotherapy begin?

How quickly after the infusion can one develop mouth sores?

Thank you 

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

It really depends on the person and what drugs are being given.  My first go around I was expecting mouth sores but did not get them.  I also expected my nails to become brittle and fall off, but in all honesty they were fine until about a month after I was done with chemo, that's when they decided to become very brittle. The best person to ask is the nurses at the infusion center or the oncologist. 

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

Homehelp, I think it is awesome that you are so involved in your wife's treatment and recovery.  I was one of the many caregivers for my dad when he went thru treatment and I have to tell you, during the infusions, it was harder on me watching him than when I was getting it myself.  If there is anything you need, just ask 

• Laurais50
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thank you to all. It just feels good to know that what I'm feeling is normal, if you want to say SE from chemo are normal. Homehelp you are so awesome, my bf of 6 years has been wonderful through the whole thing so far. I just worry that it will get harder for him. Anyway, Basia I'm going to call the Dr. tomorrow and let them know how I'm feeling. Thanks again.

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

Laura, did you get a port put in? 

• Homehelp
    edited June 2014
    Options

no need for the compliments , thanks for the responses 

Married 31 years and want another 31 

Is diarrhea normal ?  That seems to have started 

They say be proactive with vomiting , but she has no nausea ..yet?

Imodium will hopefully work 

Any other suggestions appreciated. 

• TheAmazon
    TheAmazon Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Options

hi, 

I am new to this group. Started my chemo yesterday.  Had AC. I am having headache,  my joints feel heavy, throat feels dry and choked and I have insomia. I was told I will be on a high for 2 to 3 days and then start feeling fatigued. I have had an active lifestyle so far. 

Has anyone experienced these symptoms after first chemo. Should I call my MO?

• Radical2Squared
    edited June 2014
    Options

Welcome Amazon,

I don't start my ac until the 17th so I can't give you a first hand report. From what I've read on these boards, your se seems pretty normal. I'm sure other ladies will chime in though. If you want a faster answer, try looking at or posting on the chemo boards from one of the last few months. You can also send a message to one of the ladies on this board that already did chemo but joined our little group to offer support.

-Jen