Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo June 2014

Options

Comments

• Laurais50
    Laurais50 Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2014
    Options

Baisa yes I did. Getting it put in not as bad as I thought. Getting it used? Well so far it's been use twice. Once for treatment A/C and last
    Friday for blood work. A little of the emla cream over the port and it's awesome. It does bother me a little, but I'm glad I did it.

TheAmazon, yes what you are feeling is what I felt and still feel. The second week gets better. Try to drink lots of water. I found at Raleys water with spearmint, it really helped me with the nausea. The first week sucked. I go in for my second round June 20th.   We will see what that brings, hopefully it gets a bit better each time.

• Cceandme
    Cceandme Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2014
    Options

How long before ur appointment do you put the Emla cream on?

• Laurais50
    edited June 2014
    Options

Cceandme, about 30- 45 min. a bit globby and then cover it with plastic wrap to keep it on, you don't have to tape it. They will take it off and clean the area for you. And you honestly don't feel a thing.

• Mompv
    Mompv Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2014
    Options

Home from getting the port put in. Needed lots of Tylenol. I am a pain wimp though. Still feel spacey too. I was told not to use the EMLA  cream this time. I go Thursday for my first treatment. Ok my thoughts are too random right now...off to nap

• Laurais50
    edited June 2014
    Options

No not for the port surgery, but use it for your first treatment. Don't go without it. I heard it hurts really bad without the Emla cream.

• Basia
    Basia Member Posts: 345
    edited June 2014
    Options

first AC done and so far uneventful. 

My port is still sore from when they put it in on Saturday. I used the cream and it didn't hurt at all.  Last time around I did forget the cream once and let me tell u, that hurts! Don't forget to use it each time 

• gatorgal89
    gatorgal89 Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2014
    Options

Basia...did you have a port the first time and if so, how much time passed before you took it out?

Wishing you the least amount of SE's possible after your treatment. Rest up if you can.

Mompy...good luck on Thursday. Rest up!

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

I had the port removed almost immediately after my last round of chemo, went thru the remainder of the year of Herceptin without it.  I had a lot of trouble with it. 

Gatorgal, how was AC on you?This is my first one and I feel like crap! TCH was kinder to me.

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited June 2014
    Options

Well, I postponed chemo until the 17th so I could do a round of fertility preservation. After injecting my self with 18 needles to the stomachs and one huge shot in my butt (try sticking a needle in your own butt) and getting blood work and a transvaginal ultrasound every other day, I had my egg retrieval procedure today. 

They got 1 measly egg out of me. I hope my future husband ( If there ever is one) doesn't want an heir because the pickings are looking slim. I looked into studies they are doing to preserve eggs and ovarian function during chemo but through the fertility treatments I've learned that even if I didn't have to have chemo, I'm pretty much out of eggs.

I'm really starting to feel like I really must've wronged someone in a past life...

• Bow1965
    Bow1965 Member Posts: 107
    edited June 2014
    Options

Basia - my first AC was pretty crappy too but the meds adjustment for round 2 definitely took the edge off & it was tolerable - really happy that I spent a considerable amount of time talking with the chemo pharmacist. The Olanzapine is pretty powerful and I actually had to back off on taking it by Friday - the SE was feeling a bit punch drunk at work. Okay, a lot punch drunk.

Was pretty fatigued over the weekend - I think the Neulasta is the culprit. The accompanying headache is probably the worst part because it's not typical, more like a whole cranium ache. Experimented at 4:00 am when the pain awoke me and only took my Claritin - okay, I'm buying what they are selling! What Tylenol couldn't touch, Claritin took away. I also took my nurse navigator's advice to heart and kept moving through my fatigue (I really wanted to sleep all weekend) and feel better having actually accomplishing some things. Monday came and I felt pretty great. (AC was last Tuesday, Neulasta Wednesday). I can actually feel my counts going back up, strange as that sounds.

Radical2 - you are a brave soul for being proactive and taking charge, even though the results of your harvesting didn't meet your expectations. I wish you well on the 17th.

• Homehelp
    Homehelp Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2014
    Options

1 week post TC 1st treatment and my wife is better but really wiped out .

Hard to watch ... severe headache and neck pains days 3-5 , but now no pain just fatigue .

Suspect the Nuelesta caused a lot of these "shooting bone pains ".. Bow1965 .. we can relate !

It's scary and amazing what our bodies can deal with .. as she is only 6 weeks post bilat mastectomies and lat flaps and getiing these poisons every 3 weeks .. AND THANK YOU to all the women who have come before us and inspire us to keep plowing through this !

It really helps,, especially since this is all new to us and most people going through this ...and to tell you the truth , I am a physician, I do surgery, but I do  not deal with chemo .. so it is all new to me as well !!

The surgery aspect , was easier for me .. as patients tend to continue to heal in a relatively uphill way .. this chemo is also an emotional rollar coaster , because just as you are feeling better it hits you again .. and it seems as if you must prepare mentally ,  emotionally and physically to the ups and downs of the treatments..Counting the days !!!

sorry for rambling ..

Congrats to all who are finished .. stay strong !

I

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'm also grateful for all the women who have gone through this and shared their experiences.  I start my first AC treatment in an hour.  I'm a little nervous this morning not knowing how my body will react.  I can deal with the fatigue.  I would prefer not to scare my kids with vomiting!  

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275
    edited June 2014
    Options

BC Sisters,

My last AC and then Taxol treatment was Thursday....YOU WILL DO IT TOO!!!

When I was bald, I started 'bedazzling' my head.  I just couldn't be comfortable in a wig and I preferred to go 'topless', but was a bit shy about it.  It was SO wonderful to decorate my head and have people stop me to chat instead of give me that sympathetic half-smile and a nod.  I could not get through a shopping area or public place without being stopped or complimented . More importantly, I was having wonderful conversations with people about their stories, their cancer experience. It made me proud and confident. 

Anyway, through lots of encouragement, I launched my own product and I call it Sassy Head. I only have one design now, but I REALLY need some people to give it a test spin for me.  It works wonderfully on my skin ( I could sleep in mine and get 2-3 days use) but everyone is different.

I have a very simple website (not pretty, but it works) if you would like to try one out. I am selling these for $8.00, but if you use the dropdown next to word Standard and select BCO, it will give you a price of just $2.00 (plus 3.00 for shipping).

Below are some pics. The first group was my head when I was bedazzling, and the second is my available design.  I plan to do additional designs, including a pink ribbon and designs for children.  Your suggestions are welcome!

www.sassyhead.com

Thank you!!

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited June 2014
    Options

jb, I would SO do that! I don't start chemo until July 1, but I have this bookmarked and will be getting back to you. How is it attached? And what is it made of?

Thanks

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited June 2014
    Options

Jbokeland,

I have about 20 more days until I lose my hair but I bought one. Did you attach it yourself or have someone do it for? What kind of adhesive did you use?

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275
    edited June 2014
    Options

Momma-  I never vomited through the whole AC....they should give you pre-meds to manage that as well as a little Zofran (or something similar) when you get home.

Deep breathe!   Best wishes to you!  YOU CAN DO IT!

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

jbokland, that is awesome! I don't think I would have the guts to pull that off, and my girls would have way too much fun decorating my head, lol.

Mamato3, if you do feel nauseous take the compazine right a way! do not hesitate.  The only reason I felt horrible last night was because I didn't eat.  Even my husband felt queazy from not eating and inhaling all the fumes.

Homehelp, did your wife take clariten before and after the neulasta shot? that helps a lot. also, I assume her dr gave her oxycodone to take for the pain, that should have helped too.

Radical, good for you being proactive in all this hell.  I know harvesting is not easy, I had to go thru IVF to have my little girls. It wasn't pleasant at all even under good circumstances.  I can't imagine how you must have felt.  I am sure your one egg is going to be thrive and be the best little egg out there :)  You deserve to have a happy healthy child after all this.  

AC people, did you feel bloated from the first round? I feel so fat right now, everything I own makes me look pregnant.  I had to go out this morning to find some loose fitting clothing.  I just lost a bunch of weight within the last year or so and threw out everything that was remotely loose…who knew I would need all those clothes again. 

• Cceandme
    Cceandme Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2014
    Options

Port placed today. Pretty easy surgery. My neck is a little stiff but port are itself is only slightly tender. I'm glad cause I'm still recovering from double mastectomy.

Port sits right under a tattoo on my chest. My surgeon is awesome and made sure she made incision right under the tattoo to help it not look too deformed after everything's done. That's why I love her. She pays attention to the little things too, knowing how much I have and will lose already.

Chemo starts Monday. I'm not nervous about the chemo itself. More nervous about the hair loss. My hair has always been one of my best features.But it is what it is and I know it will grow back.

• Mommato3
    edited June 2014
    Options

Basia.  I haven't noticed any bloating but it's only been 4 hrs since my treatment ended.  I Do feel fuller due to all the water I've been drinking today.  

I haven't been all that concerned about chemo or the hair loss.  I have a little bit of natural curl but not enough to do anything with.  It looks crazy on humid/rainy days.  Chemo curls would be great!  

• Mompv
    edited June 2014
    Options

Had my port placed yesterday.  My neck hurts as well, along with a lot of painful pulling sensations. Laying down pulls and hurts and sometimes even walking makes it hurt. Ok enough whining! My AC treatment starts Thursday after my mugga scan and appt with MO. I am very nervous not knowing what to expect as everyone is different.  Then Saturday I have the neulasta shot and don't know what to expect with that either. I hear Claritin helps the pain and some have said the pain is less after if you get it in your stomach. 

So much information! Hard to really know how to prepare. 

• Mommato3
    edited June 2014
    Options

My NP said to take the Claritin.  It can help with the pain.  As far as Neulasta, I'm pretty sure everyone has had some degree of pain/discomfort with that.  I took Claritin this morning and plan to take it for a couple days.  I'll also take Tylenol regularly.  So far I feel good after my treatment.  I'm a little tired but it could be because I had a hard time falling asleep last night.  

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

I was originally told to take clarinet for 7 days, but I just kept going, it helped with other SE's as well. My attitude is if it can't hurt might as well use it.  I took it every day during treatment.  

• kwhitmo
    kwhitmo Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies - tomorrow I go in for port placement, Thursday I start my first round of AC.  This is my second time around.  In 2010 I had multiple surgeries and did Taxotere and Cytoxan.  Can't believe I'm back here again!  Oncologist felt a firm lymph node in my armpit - PET scan revealed it was only there (thank God!) but 12/16 lymph nodes positive.  Anxious to get started and see if these meds will be similar to the last time.  Struggling with emotions of dealing with this again so soon.  My boys are now 7 & 9...  It was easier when they were 3 & 5 and didn't really understand what was happening.  Any recommendations for dealing with AC side effects would be most appreciated!  Thanks!

• Dixie1
    Dixie1 Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2014
    Options

Had my port placed today.  I'm also having lots of pulling pain.  I hope it eases up quickly.  I start chemo next Wed.  I've ordered some cute hats and found a few scarfs  I also cut my long hair shorter,  I hate the way it looks but it will be gone soon.   I don't think I will go the wig route.   Guess that's all for the night I think I'm still a little bit loopy.  

• Homehelp
    Homehelp Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2014
    Options

sorry for the pain and pulling from the ports

Hopefully it will resolve soon 

Do most people lose weight or gain during chemo?

• Mompv
    edited June 2014
    Options

I was told to expect weight gain because of the steroids. The NP said they make you hungry. Though if you are nauseous you probably won't eat. It really is true everyone is different. 

Well off to get ready for work! Glad it's busy season, keeps my mind off it for a bit. 

Have a good day everyone. 

• Laurais50
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hey all this whole thing does suck, but we have to do it. The port is worth the

SE of pulling, tightness, I always feel like I'm going to screw it up. The TE sucks and it hurts sometimes and it's tight,

and very uncomfortable, but with 480cc of saline it almost makes me look normal,

especially in the summer. When I'm wearing tank tops. The A/C treatments sucks, side effects for me so far

on my first treatment are nausea, weak, tired all the time, muscle and bone

aches, no taste, and the red tube of fluid that is going to go in me again next

time scare the hell out of me. The first treatment in the first week was kinda bad. I couldn't eat all week I had to force myself to eat .

At the end of the second week I'm eating better. I still have my hair, waiting for that to fall out. I go in for my 2nd A/C treatment on the 20th uggg.

Why do you take the Claritin? What do you take before your treatments?

All I can say is if it don't get worse than this than so be it,  They say the Taxol is easier and that the next treatment of A/C is easier. I guess will wait and see.

• Mommato3
    edited June 2014
    Options

I had my first AC treatment yesterday.  So far I've just been more tired today and a little funny taste in my mouth.  I've drank a little bit of grape juice a couple times so far and it's helped with the taste.  I think the muscle/bone aches are from the Neulasta, which I get this afternoon.  I've been making myself eat every couple hours.  It's been peanut butter crackers, banana and some pretzels.  Along with eggs for breakfast.  Everyone keeps telling me it's important to keep moving periodically through the day.  I did a load of laundry, rested, ran the vacuum, rested, then walked to the gas station (not far) to get bread and milk and now I'm resting.  

The Claritin is for the Neulasta shot.  I was told to take the day before, day of, and a couple days after.  It's supposed to help with muscle/bone aches.  I have had people say it gets better with every treatment.  Depends on your cell counts.

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

Kwhitmo, so sorry you are here again.  I know how you feel. Second time for me too.  My girls were 3 when I was originally DX and it wasn't so bad because they didn't understand, now at 7 they get it and it has affected them already.  They were very upset with the haircut and keep asking what day my hair will fall out.  I had taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin, the first time around, this time its AC.  I had my first treatment monday.  I feel bloated and tired.  pretty much the same as the first time around.  

I take clariten for the nuelasta shot. The bone pain can be unbearable and they say that clariten and tylenol helps with that.  

I gained a bunch of weight the first time around between the guilt/depression eating and the steroids and not working out. This time I plan on taking better care of myself while going thru treatment.  Can't deal with all the weight gain again.  

Good luck everyone :)

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited June 2014
    Options

About the claritin - does anyone know if prescription Clarinex has the same effect? I take that for allergies.