Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo June 2014

Options

Comments

• hikingandhorses
    hikingandhorses Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2014
    Options

Well, it was determined yesterday that I begin chemo.  I'll be on the 18 week TCH wrapping up the year with Herceptin.  The onco went through the list of possible side effects.  When he said hair loss, I asked if that included chin hair.  His response, ALL HAIR.  Can you imagine....insult to injury....keeping my chin hair through all of this!!

Homehelp....what a blessing you are to your wife - I wish you both a less than bumpy ride!

• Basia
    Basia Member Posts: 345
    edited June 2014
    Options

hiking, I did TCH 4 years ago, the SE weren't too bad, mostly fatigue and of course hairless everywhere! Nothing remained. Once you are done with the TC part Herceptin will feel like nothing, your hair will start to slowly grow back. Once your off H the hair growth is faster. 

• Homehelp
    Homehelp Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2014
    Options

you know as a provider we are here to help,

Fist post chemo day 

Trying to make her drink , drink, drink!

Lots of fluids 

Will give her a nulesta  shot tonight 

Had to fight to get it covered by the insurance 

She got her eyebrows semi  permanent tattoos last week 

Did not use the cold caps 

Should have taken an Ativan before going ... Will do it next time 

Taking probiotics ... But had dairy yesterday .. Probably did not help the loose BM 

Lots of rest today ..steroids today .. And fluids 

This all stinks ,but we are all in this battle ..all with a little different type of disease and many variable internal and external support systems   But we unfortunately share a common thread ... We must use all we got to beat this  thing !

• aff
    aff Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2014
    Options

Homehelp - not everyone develops mouth sores. I never had them. Sucking on ice chips throughout the entire drip can help to keep the mouth sores away. As far as diarrhea and nausea - again, not everyone develops. I would definitely talk to the MO, especially if debilitating, as there are great medications for both

Amazon - you should call your MO about any SE that makes you uncomfortable or that you are not sure about. The peace of mind will be worth it. I kept a list going from treatment to treatment. Anything that came up I would add to the list so I wouldn't forget. If I needed an immediate answer or something made me very uncomfortable I would call right away. If it could wait, it went on the list. Yes, the steroids will keep you going for a couple days. I hardly slept for 2 to 3 days following my treatment and then I would be ok.

• Laurais50
    Laurais50 Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2014
    Options

Morning all, I'm feeling a bit better today than yesterday. I finally took a pain pill at around 7pm and it made the world of difference. Basia, yes I did get a port put in and I'm glad I did, it's a little bothersome, but oh so worth it. Protect your veins if you can. TheAmazon I have had all of those and I started last Friday I've been a lazy butt for a long time, so I thought it was because of that. I think anytime anyone wants to call their Oc should, it's better to be safe than sorry. Well you all try and have a good day. I'm going to try and make dinner early for my family tonight so it will be ready when they get home. :)

• gatorgal89
    gatorgal89 Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2014
    Options

Ladies who have started, hang in there and call your MO about anything you're not comfortable with as others have said. I remember having a headache after my first two AC treatments, then after that, I did not. Everyone is different, but I found the more fluids I drank, the better I felt. Fluid of choice is water, for sure and ginger tea. Also, I drank all my fluids at about room temperature so as not to disrupt any food intake I did manage. When I felt tired, I rested, but tried not to sleep during the day so I could sleep at night. I tried to walk for at least 15 minutes every day just to help keep things moving. Also, I tracked what I ate, my side effects, and my activity on a calendar so I could refer to it with my MO and as my treatments went on. Take care and I hope some of this helps.

@homehelp...I did not get mouth sores until the end of my treatment when I switched to Taxotere...told my MO and they called in a prescription for a rinse...no need to suffer.

• aff
    aff Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2014
    Options

I completely agree with making sure you drink lots of fluids. Drink more water than you ever have before. I was not and still am not good at drinking water
    regularly. I filled my large jug of water every morning and knew that by
    the end of the day it had to be gone. Not sure that I would have had
    enough water without that jug staring at me throughout the day.

• Bow1965
    Bow1965 Member Posts: 107
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hello all,

I actually started dose-dense ACT on May 20 and had my 2nd on Tuesday, June 3, but I thought I would post my experience so far in the June thread. I am 49 years old and live in the Mountain West & this is the first time in 20 years that I've had something more than a head cold.

First AC I was immediately nauseous which lasted through the night, even with the IV meds - the chemo pharmacist prescribed Olanzapine the next morning, which he said was somewhat new to protocol, and I was instantly better & kept nausea at bay for the rest of the cycle. My second round I added Olanzapine (true usage is an anti-psychotic) the night before and one each night after for 4 days & I have no SE's at all (so far). I also am taking Compazine on day one/two and start Zofran after that so I can work without falling asleep. Lots of water and Prilosec just a couple of times.

First round I also had terrible taste/smell side effect for 4-5 days after - sort of like having a dirty penny in your mouth. I chewed/sucked ice chips for the entire infusion of round two and that didn't happen this time - whew. That was awful - I kept thinking everyone around could smell it metabolizing out of my pores (they couldn't!)

Overall, this has been doable so far. The aches & pains from Neulasta have been tolerable, except for the occasional searing headache. I am working full time (office job), just taking chemo day off and working from home the day after as Compazine makes me loopy.

I am also drinking a ton of fluids (mostly water) and took the nurse very seriously when she said "take your stool softeners & Senokot" so no constipation issues yet. Work gave me an awesome Vitamix & I make smoothies with ground flax for extra protein. Today - watermelon, mango, green apple, green tea & honey. Yum.

Hikingandhorses - I love your chin hair comment, if I have to rip my mustache off with wax I'm going to be pissed! As for my hair - had my head shaved on Tuesday night. Wearing a wig for work but otherwise Buffs headwear scarfs - wow! Pretty sweet product that I think I read about on this site, go to the how to wear/ways to wear tab (I don't own stock - just a tip not an ad!) -  http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections

That is all - good luck to all of us!

Bow

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hello everyone.  I found out this morning I start my AC on Tuesday, the 10th.  It's interesting to see all the different SE everyone is experiencing.  This will help with my questions for the nurse practioner Monday at my chemo lesson.  I was already told I needed to call them with any problems I had.  There are too many different things they can give us to help deal with the SE.  

• Cceandme
    Cceandme Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2014
    Options

Just looked at the buffs headwear. I want some of the uv ones. Love love love.

• gatorgal89
    edited June 2014
    Options

Bow...lucky to have the Vitamix! I juiced with kale & a little frozen pineapple fairly regularly throughout treatment and still do it post treatment. I believe it helped my white count bounce back after each treatment.

• Bow1965
    edited June 2014
    Options

gatorgal89, tried kale, couldn't do it - switched to spinach for the green. We will use this Vitamix for years to come - what a great gift!  From what I've seen and heard, most suggest that the Taxol will be easier than the A/C - true story?

• MomMom
    MomMom Member Posts: 334
    edited June 2014
    Options

Bow - Welcome to the group!  Sorry you had a first time bad experience with AC.  I'm sure that the anti-psychotic drug that worked for the nausea is the same one they gave a friend of mine who was DX with lung cancer with mets to the brain (she's actually doing great now!).  I was luckier than most on AC, but yes, my taste buds were shot to hell too.  It was a struggle for my husband who's a fantastic cook to come up with something that would be appealing.  I lost 6 pounds which I didn't need to do as I'm slim and a gym rat.  Your energy level is down with AC, but if you can do any kind of exercise at all, it will actually give you energy counterintuitive as it sounds.

I had the 6th of 12 Taxol infusions today (half way through!) and so far, it is soooo much better than the AC.  Much higher energy level - taste buds return!.  The only downside is possible neuropathy and loss of nails (I did lose one big toe nail on the AC, which is unusual & the other one is just kinda hanging on).  So I'm icing religiously, taking Biotin and B6 and started seeing an acupuncturist on the advice of several ladies who swore it helped them with these issues.

My husband makes a delicious smoothie for us every morning with the NutriBullet (he jokes it has almost as much HP as his lawn mower, but not quite as much as the Vitamix - what an awesome gift from your co-workers!).  The basic things he throws in every morning are frozen fruit (blueberries, peaches or a mix), fresh apple & orange, 2 big handfuls of kale (you don't even taste it with the other stuff in ours), scoop of whey vanilla protein powder, almond milk and sometimes flax or chia seeds & almond nut butter.  Very tasty and healthy way to start the day. 

I echo Hikingand&horses & your comments - no hair on my head except for the same white fuzz everyone has or my body, but noticed the other day some fine peach fuzz above my lip!  Really!!!  If it had to come back anywhere why not my almost non existent eyebrows or my sparse eyelashes (I think I have a total of 5 on one eyelid).  Good grief!

• gatorgal89
    edited June 2014
    Options

MomMom...funny - I said the same thing when I saw peach fuzz on my face and then realized I probably had it before chemo, but my long hair covered it up!!!

Bow...too funny...I prefer the kale to spinach!

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197
    edited June 2014
    Options

homehelp...Claritin for bone pain...my MO SAID I COULD TRY AN EXTRA HALF AT NIGHT AND IT HELPED ME...even if I felt a drop queasy, I took one nausea pillit helped and usually put me to sleep...they say drink 100oz to stay hydrated...hard to do daily but I tried and never needed iv fluids...I just finished TAXOTERE, andromycin and cytoxan Monday...started February. 10...6 rounds every 3 weeks...good luck and hang in there...btw, I will be married 30 years June 30th...was planning a big trip but obviously that will have to wait!  Now we just celebrate the feeling good days...and there are some!! Rosie

• Mompv
    Mompv Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2014
    Options

I got my start date of June 12th. My port goes in Monday morning. I have a mugga scan scheduled Thursday as well before I see MO and then head down to infusion. I will be getting AC for 4 treatments. I am going every other week. The next 4 treatments will have Taxol added. They gave me scripts for EMLA cream, ativan, dexamethasone and prochlorperazine. Neulasta shot will be given on Saturday. I am also adding ginger tea and maybe some organic ginger ale to my shopping list. I read that we should be nibbling on something every hour to help with nausea.  Also my infusion time is 10:30am (ha ha, Roswell is a very busy facility but very best in this area) so trying to think of foods to take to nibble on. Hubby can head to cafeteria and bring back something if we run over lunch. My stomach is always on schedule for eating!!

I have a hard time thinking of drinking 100oz of water and will be trying to think of other fluids to substitute. No caffeine though. 

My MO said to call anytime with SE questions or concerns. 

Well off to work. Keeps my mind busy!

Have a good day everyone!

• Homehelp
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks Rosiesride

30 years go by so fast ... i guess you reflect a lot when this hits !

claritin helped as well, also an occasional percocet , for the bone pain ...nuelesta

she only got 1/2 dose because of her size ...

just curious if anyone knows

1.how do the MO determine 4/6 or 8 or more cycles ? have they studies 1/2/or 3 cycles ???

2.The use of adriamycin with or without TC...our MO said studies are showing its not needed regularly ???

just curious

• gatorgal89
    edited June 2014
    Options

Mompy...Gingersnaps or ginger cookies are good to nibble on...there are also ginger candies to suck on during treatment. I used peppermint and spearmint lifesavers most of the time and goldfish...and now I pretty much hate all of that. LOL. I ate toast before my first treatment and was so hungry, then oatmeal before the second treatment and that was okay, but opted for protein shakes before treatment after that. Try to eat something before the first one though because mine was longer than the rest because they went very slow at first to make sure I was tolerating okay...made for a long day. Good luck and post if you have questions!

• Laurais50
    edited June 2014
    Options

Okay here is one I haven't seen touched, I'm not saying it isn't out there, but...What about being intimate with your self or loved one. Do you ever feel the need to be this way during chemo? Do you ever feel this way? What if your loved one needs to be this way? Ways to feel pleasure, or ways to please...Or is this something chemo takes away too? Sorry if this is to personal. I was just wondering, because I haven't felt this way since my mx...

• Homehelp
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hello Everyone,

Helping my wife get through chemo . She is due to have 4 cycles of TC

She had her first treatment Tuesday, and did fine except for the bone pain 24 hours after the Nuelesta and very tired.

So a few questions

1.Are the subsequent chemo cycles worse?

2.Are the the subsequent Nuelesta shots worse?

3.why do some people get adriamycin or not ?

4.why 4 cycles or 6 or 8 ?

5.how long does the fatigue last ?

Thanks in advance 

Now Laurais50 as the husband I will comment .

We were told no exchange of bodily fluids foe 48 hours after chemo, that includes French kissing and everything else ....

My wife has bilat mastectomy and latissimus   dorsi flaps and that was not fun.

We try NOT to let this terrible disease take away sexuality , so we are both understanding , accepting and go for it , and when that second arrives ...yell F_ _ _K CANCER !!! As loud as you can!

• Mompv
    edited June 2014
    Options

gatorgal, 

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on eating scrambled eggs and wheat toast. I also was thinking of taking ginger ale, protein bars and water to the treatment. My treatment begins at 10:30 so will need nibbles. Maybe some crackers too. 

To answer the intimacy question, I believe you do what is comfortable for you. There is no right or wrong way here. Everyone is different. 

Going shopping tonight. Will begin to stock up on potential food needs. Hard to predict what I will want so just getting a variety of snacks and teas and juices.

Have a good evening everyone. 

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

regarding intimacy, it is hard to feel sexy or attractive while going thru treatment. It didn't matter how many times my husband told me I was still beautiful, I just didn't believe it. I was fat, bald and no longer had real breasts. Sex was not pleasant. Plus, chemo affects your hormone levels and dries you out, sex became painful both physically and mentally. But that was my experience, others may feel differently. This time around I feel better about myself so I don't see sex as being an emotional roller coaster. I didn't   Just go thru surgery, I kind of know what to expect and I know what additional things I need to bring into the bedroom.  

I found that having carbs helped control the nausea in the infusion room. A high protein breakfast did not settle my stomach at all. BTW, I usually eat high protein no procesed carbs, but for chemo a bagel w cream cheese was perfect. 

Unfotunelty each chemo cycle gets worse, there is a cumulative effect. Basically keep track of the SE on the first cycle so you can prepare for the next cycle. For example if you get diarrheal on day 2 the first time, you will probably get it each time so prepare with Imodium or something like that. Be proactive not reactive.

Neulasta shots suck. Take Claritin. My dr suggests a few days before and a few after, but if took it throughout treatment. It did help a little .

As far as which chemo agent is used you need to talk to the dr. There are guidelines for the type and duration of each drug. 

Everyone has different energy levels. I didn't feel fatigue the first time around because I had 3 year old twins to chase after, and they didn't understand mommy is tired. But once treatment was done, my husband needed to stay home from work because I slept for 3 days straight. 

I hope I answered your questions :) feel free to ask anything you want. Going thru this a second time is more nerve racking but I kind of have a clue of what to expect treatment wise. 

• midge2
    midge2 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2014
    Options

I believe I will be getting the same cocktail you had.  I am terrified.  I want to do the cold cap therapy and need to talk to someone who has gone through it. 

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

midge, I looked into cold cap 4 years ago, it seemed like a lot of work, maybe by now they have made the process easier.  My infusion nurses said they did have patients come in with them and they did keep their hair, but it was very brittle and not very pretty after a few infusions. And if you don't do it right for even one infusion, it falls out anyway. But there is a thread out there about cold caps and people who swear by them. 

I am just too lazy to have to add to the workload.

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

midge, TCH Or AC?

• Bow1965
    edited June 2014
    Options

midge2 your post just touched me so much. I hope you are finding information on here to ease your fears - this is not the place any of us would ever pick, but there is strength to be found on these pages. I find meditation is a great tool to find my inner calm and peace and strength - it's there, I promise.

Glad I checked in this morning - ginger snaps! Great idea. 

Basia, thanks for all the tips and inspiration - I have great energy but can't contemplate chasing toddler twins at this stage! Truly, the frank advice and expression of your experiences is very helpful.

• Laurais50
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thank you all for your in put. I was told each time it gets a bit better and that the Taxol is better than then A/C. I don't know who or what to believe. All I know is we ALL will react different. I'm into my second week of my first round and I didn't get constipation, I went almost everyday. Had my blood level check yesterday and were all good. I have lost weight 7lbs, I'm fine with that too because I was told that the Taxol will probly make me gain weight yippie!!! LOL As for the intimacy??? I love my man so much that I want to be there for him and he says not to worry.  HomeHelp it all has to do with the type of cancer she has. Some are more aggressive some didn't pass  the nods, some had tumors I don't know. For me the fatigue is getting a bit better into my second week. Yes the men will be bringing my treadmill in today sometime. You all have a beautiful day.

• Mompv
    edited June 2014
    Options

I found ginger chews at the store last night, they taste good!!

I have a question... Is anyone finding that they just can't deal with being out and about too long? I mean I do pretty good at work except when the phones are going nuts and the cashier needs change and someone else comes in needing something. But I went to Walmart and the supermarket last night  after work and by the time I got halfway through the the grocery store I was feeling anxious and just wanted to run out of the store. 

I just find myself getting easily overwhelmed. Anybody else feeling this way. 

• gatorgal89
    edited June 2014
    Options

Mompy I totally felt that way and still do sometimes (because of my lack of hair and eyelashes, mostly) It can be overwhelming, so you have to do what you can. When I was going through AC, I did not go out in public...like to stores etc. I was not feeling well enough to drive and didn't want to put myself in situations where I was exposed to germs. Again, do what's right for you and be patient with yourself.

• Basia
    edited June 2014
    Options

Gatorgal, it took me quite sometime to start to feel like myself again.  I definitely felt awkward until my hair grew in.  I tried the eyelash serum and I have to say it did help them fill in quicker than they would have on their own.  I still had to go out, had little ones at home and they were very active so I was exposed to germs all the time, purell was my best friend back then.  This time around its going to be more difficult because they are older and are involved in more activities. The only plus side is its summer so less likely to catch colds.  

Had port put in today.  I hate ports, but it serves a purpose.  I am so sore from it and it gave me a killer headache.  Waiting for kids to go to bed so I can take something and go to bed too. Hopefully I'll wake up feeling better.  

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend :)