Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unilateral mastectomy & reconstruction

Options

Comments

• Fourminor
    Fourminor Member Posts: 118
    edited December 2014
    Options

I had TE placed at surgery and PS put 180ccs in at the insertion. I wasted my money on fiber fill thing (not a big deal, like $11), because once he put the next fill in, i could get away with one of those bathing suit inserts and the fiber fill made me look lopsided the other way. I was done in 4 fills and am waiting for exchange and now they look pretty even once I put a bra on, although I am grateful to get this over with prior to bathing suit as the TE does sort of look like a tennis ball.

I can only say that as hard as it was to finally look at my chest after surgery, having reconstruction already going eased the emotional impact for me. It won't be a real breast, but it made getting back to work and life a little less daunting.

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited December 2014
    Options

I took Bromelain and Arnica before and after my surgeries.

The reason I chose to go with TE reconstruction was mainly because no one in my area does the DIEP, and I would have had to travel out of town to have it done. Plus, my BS said it is a MAJOR surgery (as opposed to a major surgery). I have always been large chested so not having a TE really wasn't an option for me, It would have been way to obvious. In hindsight, does the implant feel odd, yes it does, and I am still trying to adjust to it, I keep hoping that it is like a crown on my tooth. I notice it and it bothers me in the beginning, but then after awhile you just get used to it.

Iswhatitis - I hear you about needing a break. I haven't been on as much as usual, sometimes I think I just NEED to forget about this sometimes. But I love "talking" to you all, and don't know what I would do without you through this whole crazy thing. I don't have any bubble, but it does seem to have widened a bit towards my armpit, nothing horrible though. I do go to my BS tomorrow so she can check on that lump I found about a month ago, it is still there and I think she was hoping it was fat necrosis and would dissolve. I hope it's just scar tissue.

I go today to my PS for my 3 month post-op check-up, so we'll see what he has to say.

• Izzyfran
    Izzyfran Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2014
    Options

I was not a candidate for DIEP and I had wanted a quick recovery so I went with the implant. Had MX on 11/6 and PS was able to put the permanent right away instead of TE. I had no complications and healed well. Just saw PS yesterday and cleared to be back at work. I was advised to wait for 6 mo or when Im ready to get everything fully healed to finish with lift and nipple placement.

The implant feels different, a bit harder than my natural breast right now. Also, when I lift my arm, the breast gets harder since implant is under muscle. Hopefully it will start to feel more natural over the next months.

Frostecat, hope that your appointment with PS goes well and that everything will be ok when you see your BS.

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168
    edited December 2014
    Options

Fourminor, I feel exactly like you. When I was told mastectomy, I really was not ready for that idea and I saw where somebody online said at least with an expander, when she looked down, there was something there and thats exactly the way I feel. The first time I looked at it, it was ugly but with clothes, at least something was there and mentally, I think that helped me. I had surgery with the immediate TE placed and I'm also glad I had it that way for the thought of healing and then, going right back and having another surgery to just put in the TE, is not something that sounds like a plan to me. My friend had hers that way and she said it hurt like heck, she said much more than the mastectomy. I'm kind of gotten used to the TE now and rarely think of it, other than its higher than my natural side and that bugs me way more than if it was smaller.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited December 2014
    Options

Good luck, angelia50!! Let us know how it goes please!

• Lisamarie6864
    Lisamarie6864 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi all ;). My reconstruction surgery was yesterday (at USC keck hospital)I had my exchange on my mx side to 800cc allergan silicon implant. It feels good so far only some soreness where she did lipo on the side. It feels good to get rid of that grapefruit and get a squishy in there. On my other healthy breast side I had a lift and a 300cc implant put in and a little lipo. It is quite sore, nothing horrible . I do have a drain on lift side(oh joy!) and a semi tight bra with gauze over incisions. Mentally I feel more like a whole person again...I am not lopsided!!!! There is light at the end of tunnel , I feel blessed

• momwriter
    momwriter Member Posts: 276
    edited December 2014
    Options

Congratulations Lisamarie! Take gentle care of yourself and enjoy your evenness. I'll be interested in hearing about your recovery as I'm considering the lift on my nonUMX side.

• angelia50
    edited December 2014
    Options

momwriter, I had a lift on the natural side last Friday. I didn't have an implant on that side. I wasn't interested in coming out larger. The lift was because my doctor said he could not make a new one look like a 58 year old one, so just a lift to get them even. It was fine, not anything like I anticipated. Really no pain at all on the lift side. I am like Lisamarie68, I am having some discomfort where the lipo was done, no problems with any of the incisions, and none with most of the lipo but one place is driving me CRAZY.

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited December 2014
    Options

ANGELIA50 - glad you had a good outcome so far, curious how long is the incision on your natural side lift?  and really - it doesn't hurt you like the Mastectomy side?  I have to get this same surgery soon - any more insight would be appreciated - I am getting a mentor smooth round implant 300 or 325 cc on my MX side and lift to left...  kinda scared of the going under again fr 4-5 hrs... thanks

• angelia50
    edited December 2014
    Options

it is the kind of incision that comes under the breast and the up to the nipple and around but no, I am serious, no pain with that. I had expected the most pain from the nipple because the plastic surgeon's nurse told me that is what most ladies complain about most but I haven't had that issue. I was not eager to have the lift either because I didn't know what it would be like having both sides hurt. I have no drains either. On the mastectomy side, I have no discomfort either and that incision is also under the breast and very small. I had thought from reading online he would open up the old incision but he didn't. The lift side, seems so odd because of how it looks now. Keep in mind, I'm 58 and overweight, but I am a bra person, even sleep in one, so I didnt' think my natural was to bad droopy until I really looked at it after all of this stuff started and had to admit, yeah, it was and now, its just sitting up there, like a teenager. As of right now, the implant side seems a little smaller than the natural side but I can live with that plus, he said it was swollen and would drop down some. I'm not looking for perfect, I just want two that match when I'm wearing clothes. I don't plan to do a nipple either unless at some point I did the 3D tatoo. oh, and it didn't take that long, seems it must have taken about 3 hours. He had told me he would have an assistant close on one side while he worked on the other side because I was also concerned about being under so long because I had been sick for two days with the mastectomy and they said that was due to being under so long.I haven'ttaken any pain pills during the day but take one at bedtime to help me sleep.

• Lisamarie6864
    edited December 2014
    Options

So far ...so good one week post exchange and lift and implant on other side. I am 50 years old . My PS thought a lift and small implant would be good because both breast would age more the same. I think I am a little bigger than before all this but mainly just notice how nice to have them up where thy use to be ;). This process is soooo much easier than masectomy. So much less invasive and such a quicker recovery. I just take Tylenol during day and one pain pill at to help me sleep. Both breast are a little swollen so hard to tell how they look for sure.... But they are way more even and I don't have to wear a scarf ;). Post op appt tomorrow , we' ll see what they say.

• iswhatis55
    iswhatis55 Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi all!  Hope everyone is doing well in the New Year!  Frostecat, if you are still on here, I'm wondering how your lift side is doing postop?  I'm doing pretty well and am about a month behind you, but am still having some discomfort on my natural side around the nipple.  Some days are worse than others but I was expecting to be pretty pain free by now (2 months).  Jeannie I know you have had some trouble with this also.  I had a few days where it turned kind of yellow and got harder around the area.  That seems to be better after a few days - maybe just a form of bruising that I have to go through?  Just wondered if you all had the same experience.  Other than that doing pretty well.  I do have a PS appointment next week, so may find out more then.

Positive thoughts to everyone on here!

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited January 2015
    Options

I hope everyone was able to enjoy their holidays! My lift side is doing good. Still a red scar, but I'm sure in time it will fade. I have a small area on the nipple that isn't turning nipple color pink, and when I asked the PS about it, he said that could be due to scabbing. So it looks like I will have a small area on my areola that isn't titty pink! If and when I ever get a tattoo, maybe that can be "tweaked". I think this all just takes time for the healing. I had to keep reminding myself, it's only been 1 month, 2 months, 3 months.

Heading out this weekend to sunny CA. Husband has a conference so I'm tagging along for a little while. First time I am flying post surgery. I went and got my compression sleeve on New Year's eve, nothing like waiting until the last minute. Don't want to take any chances - lymphedema looks awful! I wonder if it matters how many lymph nodes that one has removed versus the chances of getting it???? Have something new to research.

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2015
    Options

For all the ladies who recently in 2014 has LIFT to the natural side, anyone think of any questions someone like me (about to have the surgery should be aware of in advance that maybe DR doesn't mention?) 

my natural side is my Left - I postponed the 2nd surgery of the exchange to implant and lift until warmer weather and further out so the left side could be looked at (I had sort of felt a small lump in left recently - that maybe is just breast tissue - hopefully!) or a cyst - part of me waiting also would allow me to make sure I wouldn't need to have Left one removed -

anyways of course causes anxiety and worry thinking something could be brewing BUT maybe just overthinking - - anyways my RT side MX and tissue expander really does still hurt as I use my RT arm all day - my job is customer service on phones and data entry - when I was not working the arm and shoulder was much less painful,,,  as It wasn't up on desk on mouse and computer for hours non stop - anyhow - any advice about prepping for the 2nd surgery in spring - anyone have any advice, words of wisdom - wish you had known before yours,,,  please share - - love to hear how you mentally prepared for the 2nd surgery and what helped you,  thanks everyone and Happy 2015, 

• Lisamarie6864
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi Sparkle,

I bet you can't wait for your surgery in the spring ;). It feels so nice to have the expander out! The exchange and lift felt like a piece of cake compared to the masectomy. It's only been 2 weeks and I am up to 3 miles a day walking( keeps me sane). Are you having a small implant put in on your lift side? I did. Since I am 50 my PS thought a small implant would help with symmetry. I guess I would ask how much symmetry the PS expects to accomplish right off the bat and if revisions are usually done . Maybe look at some b4 and after photos so you kinda know what to expect.

Try and get in the best shape and eat right up till the surgery date so you feel strong and ready to go.

Good luck to you!!

• sueo45
    sueo45 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2015
    Options

I am in the same boat as Sparkle. Left is my natural side too. I will be having my TE replaced and my left side reduced and lifted. (I am a D to DD naturally).

Now I am researching the whys of silicone verses saline verses gel. My PS did not even talk about options when I saw him before surgery. I was anxious to get rid of the CA and did not know to ask. I wish I had found all this information sooner. Probably if it was another time of the year but it was get it done Dec 12 or not until after Christmas.

Any feedback from the group on the differences in implants? I am 69 years old (a very young 69) so I am not too worried about long term affects. I do like to look nice and that is why I chose to go for reconstruction.

Thanks all

• angelia50
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had exchange 12/19/14 and like others, my left is natural. Seems to be a trend here. I had a lift but did not have any implant or reduction. I had silicone on the right. The right, has caused the most problem but it was mostly from the places they took tissue for grafting. I am a larger woman, ok, I'm fat, lets be honest, and was and am about a DD cup. The strangest thing is that being 58, when i looked down, I could not see the nipple, due to being older, etc. Now, when I look down, there is it. It just seems so weird to me. I guess its like when I was 17 or something. I am a bra wearer, even wore one to sleep, but this exchange side, from the lipo, has some tender spots, so I have been trying various sports bras or whatever, in order to get something more comfortable on those places. I saw on here yesterday, where somebody said maybe try a cami, since it would come down longer and not go across the places effected by surgery, so today, I dug one out I had that was fairly stretchy, pretty much like some of these limber sports bras I had bought. So tonight, I"m sitting here in one of those and I have to say, doesn't look much different than when I have a bra on. No movement on the natural side even. As my doctor said, perky.

• Izzyfran
    Izzyfran Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm another "Natural leftie." Had a UMX and permanent placed. Anybody have pros and cons for lift? My PS said I would only need a slight one. I won't need it for a while, but thought I'd gather information now so I can weigh my decision. I read somewhere in another post(can't remember where) about lift may cause nipple sensitivity or even loss of it. I definitely plan on doing fat graft since R axilla area have no tissue and have a big dip there.

Also, my R breast still feels foreign to me 2 mo post. When does it become more "natural" per se?

• Unknown
    edited January 2015
    Options

iswhat,,, hi ladies, been a while, but yes, I am still having problems with the redness on my right lift side,,, was having a conversation with a friend and explaining all we have tried,,, Cordran Tape, compound gel, time, nothing working, she suggested maybe yeast infection,,,, hmmmm,started thinking about that,, maybe she got something there, have to wear a bra, so stays moist on incision, so I started using Gold Bonds powder on incision and it is not burning so much and has faded some since end of December. I also have a yellow area on my nipple but doc said not to worry, I can barely notice the stitches mark.

I am starting a excercise program tomorrow through my local YMCA that is free to Cancer Survivors, I am excited to lose these extra 28lbs,,,, now if I can just stay away from my chocolates we will be fine,,,I sure wished my dr put small implant in when he did lift , that's what I am waiting on now,incision to heal so we can do that, ALMOST finished I hope. Going for a MRI for routine checkup and hoping all results come out fine,, healing HUGZ to all,,,,,,

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited January 2015
    Options

Izzyfran--2 years now for me and it still feels foreign....there are just moments when I don't really think about it. I joined a gym shortly after my ex surgery and now go pretty much every day. I circuit train, do yoga, run on treadmill, etc and I have to think about my foob in most everything I do there. Don't want to go too far and mess something up! I also have the problem with still not being comfortable with not wearing a bra. I have to wear one 24/7 except when showering. My foob feels very "heavy" like it pulls down on me without a bra so that's like a constant reminder that it's not natural. I know that in time it will feel more natural but I think the amount of time depends on how good your recovery was and how the foob feels braless. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't force myself to go braless in the evenings or when I sleep in order to train my brain to accept my foob. In other words, something I wonder if it's all in my head, mostly cause that's what my docs seem to think when I ask why I still have some pain. I tell them that sometimes my ribs ache or it hurts where my drains were and they just look at me. Or they suggest massage therapy which does help for a while. I figure by the time I get off Tamoxifen in 8 years, I'll finally feel normal!!

• Fourminor
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi ladies,

I'm scheduled for exchange on 2/6. Looking forward to getting it over with. I am not touching my right breast. At this point I just want them to match in clothing and be able to wear a bathing suit or work out gear and not look like I've been mutilated. My husband knows the left one aint real so I can't obsess over my naked appearance. What I am hoping is that PS puts the implant a little higher as I was told he likes to place his TE a little below the IMF so later he can match the height properly. Right now they are just not at the same level which leaves the upper part of my left chest looking too thin.

I don't always notice the TE, but I do occasionally notice the difference between the feeling of the pecs. I started doing yoga at home, got a stability ball for work outs and yesterday we went and ordered an Air Assault exercise bike for aerobic workout. I'd like to lose some weight, but I'm focusing on being more fit as my primary goal. Hubs too, he quit smoking last month and I'm happy if he can start doing some aerobic too.

BTW I am very happy to have kept my right breast for lots of reasons but one I hadn't anticipated was having a good side for side sleeping. As an insomniac, sleep is a constant QOL issue that I prioritize. Laying on the implant side is just limited at best. Can't turn full onto that side.

• angelia50
    edited January 2015
    Options

fourminor, I can sure relate to that sleeping issue and that concerned me, since I had finally been able to sleep on my natural side and I did worry, when if ever, will I be able to sleep after this lift and exchange but happy to say, it hasn't been a month and I can sleep on either side now. I also relate to the issue of the TE side and the natural side not being aligned. I didnt' mind when one was bigger, because I could stuff the TE side but once the TE was filled, it was sitting so high, I could not get the natural side up that high so I told my PS, just please get them lined up. I did chose to have the lift, although I fought it the entire time but in the end, I was worried I would never get a matched set again, so I did it and I'm not sorry. I think the natural side is a little bigger than the implant side but they are even at least when you are looking straight on and that I can deal with. Doctor said she implant will drop some and from what I read online, then should look a little bigger so as I say, I can live with that. I have a friend going through the same thing and she's excited about what she refers to has new ta ta's and looking good for summer. That is not me, I just want two that match when I have cloths on.

• stepmic
    stepmic Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2015
    Options

hi all,

I am back on the couch healing from my nipple reconstruction surgery which I had on Friday. Thought I would take a moment to check in and encourage all of you who are still on this crazy journey along with me. It has been a year since my implant and reduction and lift surgery. I feel good most of the time and am pleased with the match as UMX matches are tricky. At times, I still mind the implant... so hard to describe but at the end of a long day, I feel sore in the back and right under the implant although I have worn a bra all day. I have had to switch to bras with wide straps and wide sides as I was feeling some chest swelling this fall. I had no idea what brought it on. I am not exercising like I want to but did a lot of walking this past summer and fall. I do feel great most days and am grateful every day that I get out of bed that I am where I am in this journey.

As for nip surgery, I am glad that I went ahead. The skin graft donor site in my extreme upper thigh is sore and very bruised. I don't feel a thing on my implant, my new nip is tightly bandaged up until January 29th when I go to get bandages off. That's it for now... wishing you all good recoveries for your surgeries.

K

• Fourminor
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi ladies, its been a while since I've updated, but I am on deck for my exchange surgery tomorrow. Hoping for a smooth recovery as work is grappling to function without me and my son's preschool just told us two days ago they were operating without the proper license and we are in the midst of trying to figure out how to handle this. I have barely given a thought to preparing. I'm off today but there is a STAT school meeting and I want to enroll him in a nearby Cathoilic school that has a space even though I know this is going to be traumatic for he and his two buddies who are likely to be split up. (My son has a sidekick and a girlfriend, its too cute). But his current school can't operate without a parent on site (or at least one parent per 2 children if we share responsibilities) and with a 12 kid class that suddenly can't enroll kids for next year either, I have strong doubts on how it will continue. I'm also wary of how I can continue to trust an administrator who has failed this badly at his job.

I guess you know you are a mom when you're about to have surgery and you're just thinking about your kid. Work is also partially crippled without me and the past week we have been trying to put together a plan for how they are going to survive. So I've been going from one emergency situation to another all week and as a result, I'm kind of looking forward to being laid up for a few days.

Miss you ladies, how's it all going?

• stepmic
    stepmic Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2015
    Options

I hope your surgery went well Fourminor! It is hard juggling everything for sure. You are so young to be dealing with BC surgery and a preschooler. For me it is my father who has dementia. We as women often seem to be the family glue and it isn't always easy to clear the path for us to be in the limelight!

This board has been very quiet. I do. Hope all are healing okay.

K

• Fourminor
    edited February 2015
    Options

Exchange went well, but pain is a lot more than I had for the TE placement. I got Allergan 410, need to find out further details at post op check this week, but under the implant IS SCEAMING AT ME. I guess he had to create a new inferior mammary fold and any motions that involves my abdominal musculature is torture. I am taking way more pain meds than I did after the mastectomy. Sick of being sick. But it does look like a pretty good match to my right side. I did not do anything to my healthy breast. PS said even though he could lift it to make a perfect match it would be a lot of scar and in time it would only sag again so I basically would have to wear a bra.

I'm good with that.

• momwriter
    edited February 2015
    Options

Fourminor, glad your surgery went well but sorry it's painful. Make sure you rest up and hopefully the discomfort will subside soon. I have my exchange in early April. Thanks for sharing your thought process regarding the lift. My PS wants to lift my right side which is very droopy, but I think I'm going to let it be and put some effort into finding a good bra that evens me out.

• angelia50
    edited February 2015
    Options

momwriter, I had an exchange and lift in December. I debated on the lift for a long time, because I'm 58 and my body had gone to pot before all of this began but, I finally did it. If you are "droopy" be prepared if you do the lift, it is WEIRD. Not in a bad way but when I look down and its just there, it is just weird to me. I'm not sorry I did it, its a close match to the reconstructed one, maybe has a little more projection but I visualize if I had a nipple on the reconstructed side, it might be matched. I am not doing a nipple, unless eventually somebody near where I live does 3D.

• momwriter
    edited February 2015
    Options

Angelia- Thanks for sharing your experience. It really does help to hear. How has your recovery been from that surgery? How long before you could do normal exercise again that involves the arms? Thanks.

• angelia50
    edited February 2015
    Options

momwriter, no arm issues at all but I never had any real issues with the mastectomy either. I mean, I was sore for a while after that but I could lift my arms pretty well from the beginning. I had my orig. mastectomy in July and my exchange wasn't until December, so by the time I had exchange, I had no arm problems at all, none, not even soreness, and after exchange, that didn't change. On the lift side, no issues. I had heard I would feel a lot of soreness on the nipple but I really didin't. The incision's on lift were never an issue either. The most pain I had of any of it was where my PS had done some lipo on what I see technically is called the trunk, although I call it my back, it was right about where your shoulder blade comes. On the lift side, it was fine, but on the exchange side, it was sore as heck with a big hard knot and that was the most pain of any of it. I had alloderm from the beginning since I had expanders placed at time of my mastectomy, so all of that had a long time to heal, so my exchange was no problem at all. He did fat grafting but I can't see where it went. I see a lot of comments about ripples but I dont have anything like that and never did. My reconstructed side is totally smooth, no dents or any of that, always has been that way, since the mastectomy.