Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unilateral mastectomy & reconstruction

Options

Comments

• momwriter
    momwriter Member Posts: 276
    edited April 2015
    Options

Isn't modern medicine amazing? they work so hard to make us as comfortable as possible. I'm immensely grateful to everyone in the medical profession.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited April 2015
    Options

I hear ya, momwriter!! I love, love, love all my doctors!! They are so amazing at their jobs. And the icing on the cake is that all the nurses I've had with my surgeries have been just as amazing! I have written to the hospital after every one of my surgeries to let them know how great their nurses are. At one point, they even published my emails in their monthly newsletter. Everyone, from my docs to the nurses even to the administrative people that check me in for appointments have been top notch. I pray that everyone has the chance to get such great care.

• momwriter
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm going to write a letter as well. And I agree, the nurses are so amazing. They are angels. And my PS is an artist.

update- skin is red on MX side so sent PS a picture- he said it's most likely radiation reaction- he didn't seem worried- I'm not feverish or in pain - barely need the 2 tylenol. So fingers crossed it's taking. I say I'd go flat if this didn't work but I'm liking my little implant

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2015
    Options

So glad lala that you bounced back so quickly - encouraging! good to hear the details - thanks!!

Stef - great - good to be easy on it all - I agree, you gone though all this - so take steps like antibiotic to prevent infections - keep area clean, make sure germs - etc do not get near your surgery site - i think one best advice I got was to take sponge bath after MX and not get my breast area wet at all - so I said why not - I just sat in bath tub filled it very low and didn;t get upper breast area wet but felt clean down there at least and I did get my hair washed after 5 days at a salon school down street and then on 7th day washed it in sink with my Mom - well she washed it - and then i think I showered 7th day - but I wanted it to really have time to heal and settle down - had nurse stop over daily to change the dressing on the site and make sure everything looked dry and clean and not infected and I was taking antibiotics for a full 10 days twice day - huge pink capsules! to ward off infection at site and from being in hospital - both my breast surgeon and my Plastic Surgeon said that they start everyone on that in IV once get IV hooked up

that brings question up - DO YOU GET drains with the basic exchange to an implant and lift on natural side - i kind of recall DR said most people don't need a drain and the fluid gets reabsorbed into your own body with this 2nd surgery - i hated that drain but loved idea that that fluid was coming out of my that way and not sitting inside body....

how do i gain access to see picture forum? i may be best just not looking and hoping my pS does great job with one natural and one fake - !

so good to hear you two did great! take things slow! :)

• momwriter
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sparkle, I didn't get a drain.(yay!)

For those who want more info, I have to say I'm a little achier Day 2 and Day 3, still taking tylenol because not really painful but is achy- like I was bruised. My energy is fine- it's hard to take it easy. Also girls not quite as symmetrical as I'd like- but perhaps the implant will settle a bit. Still I like the implant better than the TE- less like a rock and is a little lower. And once I'm healed I'll put in some effort to finding the right bras to be even and comfortable. My right (natural breast side) arm is fine- I have full range of motion practically without trying. The left side pulls a bit if I raise my arm up a bit above the shoulder so I'm going to wait till after post-op appointment to work on getting back my full ROM.

I do feel I can do basic lower body yoga- like lying on my back and raising legs, cross legged sitting and leaning forward, some balance poses, - things that don't use my arms or my pecs.

• lala1
    edited April 2015
    Options

momwriter---take pictures of your breasts now and then again at monthly intervals. You'll be amazed at how much that implant drops and changes shape. And if you decide to post your pictures on the picture forum to help others, you'll have the photos. But irregardless, seeing before and after pictures really helped me. Especially getting the official ones from my PS. That helped me realize I wasn't perfect before so it's ok if I'm not perfect now.

Sparkle2014--I did not have drains. But I did just have the basic donut incision. My PS said if all went according to plan, no drain. But he also said I needed to be prepared for anything, even drains. I got exactly what he'd planned except that he had to go bigger than he thought. He said the sizes he'd planned on looked really flat so I got about 100cc bigger than anticipated in order to get projection. That led to a 120cc implant on my native side for symmetry. Otherwise, textbook surgery!

• isabelarcher
    isabelarcher Member Posts: 281
    edited April 2015
    Options

Jumping in here with some random replies to various things.

I had single mast. almost 2 years ago, with TE and then implant. I decided not to get a lift on the Organic Boob even though Frankenboob is way higher and I definitely do not match in terms of latitude. Nor do they match in terms of nipple--Frankenboob is a blank. The size matches exactly, though (34D), and in bras I look completely natural. It's incredible. I like showing off my cleavage to anyone who cares to look. ;-) About the lift, I was sick of surgery and procedures, and I did worry that I would lose sensation in the one nipple I've got left (my PS said he would have to move the nipple). Has this happened to any of you who did have the lift?

Like others in this forum, I find underwire terribly uncomforable now, but I also find that Organic Boob doesn't need as much of a boost now that the other side is holding itself up, you know? So i wear Gap Body wireless bras --I think it's called favorite wireless. The other day I also tried something: I snipped the edge of the underwire on one of my former underwire bras and managed to pull the wire out on my fake side. This worked really well and was much more comfortable.

In bathing suits I do need underwire to hold up the natural side, and cups are helpful too.

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168
    edited April 2015
    Options

I had the lift and did not loose sensation. I had the exchange and lift at the same surgery, so I was already asleep anyway. I debated about having it because I didn't want pain on both sides but it was really nothing. I do wear underwire and have no issues with them. I sleep in a soft bra and wear underwire during the day. No doctor told me to sleep in any of them but I happen to be a weird person who cannot sleep without a bra and have been that way my whole life. Mine are pretty equal in size and as you say, the latitude is fine, which was something that drove me CRAZY when I had the TE. You can pad size but you can't fix that uneven level. I did not have nipple reconstruction and do not plan to as of right now. I am glad I did the lift. but might not be so glad when I have my mammogram in June. I was feeling around the other day and thought oh no, there is a lump and then I realized that was where the incision had been. I watched a youtube video about the lift and I assume that is the kind I had, the skin is moved but not the nipple. It appears higher but its because its stitiched to higher up skin.

• isabelarcher
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thanks for the info, Angelia50. I was 52 at the time of implant procedure--if I'd had the opposite-side lift, I would have needed not only to have the nipple moved up but the PS said I would also need a small implant on that side too. It was a question of "volume"--the fake one has that fullness at the top that the pushed up real one could not have matched w/o an implant. In middle age, at 34D, and having nursed two kids, I'm pretty droopy. If I could have had just a lift w/o moving nipple plus implant, I would have done it! Husband truly doesn't care, and I don't plan on letting anyone else get a glimpse, so I am at peace with it. Somewhere on the Internet I saw that a woman in my situation described her look as "Picasso woman," and that's about right.

• angelia50
    edited April 2015
    Options

IsabelArche, I was 58 when I had mine done and overweight, so my doctor said he couldn't make a new one look like a 58 year old one. I opted for no implant in the natural side. I said just match the fake one with the natural one and if its smaller than the orig. I don't care. I totally agree, I"m not likely to be showing either one of them around. I did put a fake 3D nipple tatoo on the fake side, just to see how i felt about it and I do think if someone near me did those, I would get one. It somehow made me feel better just having it on there, that is until it was time to go to the doctor and I went into a panic when I could not get it off. I thougth how embarrasing but finally got it off with alcohol.

• lala1
    edited April 2015
    Options

I was 50 when I had my UMX and subsequently my exchange plus lift/augment. My natural breast that was removed was about 500cc. When I had the exchange surgery, I got a 600cc implant as anything smaller made me look flat. As a result of that size implant, a 120cc implant was put in my native breast to give it more "umph" and symmetry. I'm actually not any bigger than I was before, both breasts just sit a tad higher since I no longer have the 50 year old droopy ones. I had no pain on either side from the surgery and I did not lose sensation on my native side. And was moving both arms normally within about 4 or 5 days. A few months later I had the origami procedure done (CV flap I think) and got my new nipple. Over time it has flattened a bit but still noticeable by me. I then went and got a "Vinny" areola tattoo and he did some shading around the nipple so that when you look at it, it looks like it projects more than it actually does. I now think he went a little light colored on the areola and one day I may touch it up but in the meantime, I look almost normal. My breast are quite symmetrical and in "romantic situations", my DH says he forgets which one is which. I think that's the ultimate compliment! And for me, when I glance in a mirror, I often forget I ever had this done. I'd have to say by BS and PS are masters at their craft!

In 10-15 years when I have to replace this implant, I plan to lift the native side again as well. The symmetry really helps me mentally with all this.

• isabelarcher
    edited April 2015
    Options

lala1, you make it sound tempting to get a lift after all! But DH says, Why bother?, and I appreciate his total acceptance of me as I am. If I ever change my mind, it's good to hear that you didn't lose sensation. Your DH sounds extremely D indeed ;-).

Angelia50, your fake nipple story is a good one. If we didn't laugh after all we've been through, we'd go nuts, right? When I was early in the TE filling stage and very uneven in size, I went to a small local dept. store to look for "chicken cutlets"--those things small-chested girls and women stick in their bras to make their boobs look bigger. I found them in a private back corner of the lingerie dept. I was standing there looking at several different types when I heard a man behind me say, "Can I help you, ma'am?" I thought, "What kind of pervert is this?" but when I turned around, I realized it was a store clerk--telling me the store was about to close so I'd better make my purchase. ;-)

• angelia50
    edited April 2015
    Options

IsabelArche, that is a good one too. I ordered my fake nipple tats online and they came in an envelope that looked like an invitation to something. You should have seen me trying to get them off. I tried nail polish remover because I couldnt' find my alcohol. Then I looked over and saw some mouthwash and thought, isnt' that what people drink when they are in rehab and can't get alcohol? So I try that, no, that didn't work. So finally, i kept looking and found my alcohol. I admitted to the NP that saw me that day and she told me a story about when she was in college, her and a boyfriend decided at 10:00 p.m. to wax his chest and they get hot wax, all over his chest, not just in a small area, and then, he can't take it, so they begin putting everything and the sink on that wax trying to get it off. I told her she had no room to laugh at me, so it was fine, we both had a good laugh out of both our stories.

• Sparkle2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

LMVerna- - how are you doing now? i have my lift and exchange soon, wondering how lift side feels and what your experience so far is? hope all went better then expected,,,

and Momwriter,,,, ?

i will wind up a 32/33 big B small C - apparently though many women had issues more on the LIFT side due to the moving nipple and the repositioning all the tissue to be more symetrical -

love to hear from women who had LIFTS that they really had no issues recovering from and really pleased at end,,,

i am worried as everyday when I go to work or out of house, i wear a 2 various bandeau bras and a tank with a wide band and that sort of secures me all in place vs a bra and straps - i have grown so used to this vs wearing a bra over past year and now when try on a BRA, i can't stand it -

i don't think wearing compressing bandeaus after LIFT and implant exchange would go over too well as that would be pressing on the stitching - guess I better begin TRYING to wear a bra everyday and camisole vs bandeaus,,,

No one knows how difficult it is to adjust to one natural and one fake implant breast,,, it is a challenge - and part of me says maybe just skip the lIFT and get the implant - no one would know when I was dressed - it would only be droopy dollie when I was undressed and i highly doubt any man who loves me would ever CARE that one was perky and one was drooopy,,,?

any thoughts on just leaving natural side droopy and not doing LIFT as option? that would prevent FALSE mammo/Ultrasound readings in future from scar tissue that appears as cancer possible in the imagery ???

thanks ladies,,, hope everyone is doing great!

MB

• Sparkle2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

LMVerna- - how are you doing now? i have my lift and exchange soon, wondering how lift side feels and what your experience so far is? hope all went better then expected,,,

and Momwriter,,,, ?

i will wind up a 32/33 big B small C - apparently though many women had issues more on the LIFT side due to the moving nipple and the repositioning all the tissue to be more symetrical -

love to hear from women who had LIFTS that they really had no issues recovering from and really pleased at end,,,

i am worried as everyday when I go to work or out of house, i wear a 2 various bandeau bras and a tank with a wide band and that sort of secures me all in place vs a bra and straps - i have grown so used to this vs wearing a bra over past year and now when try on a BRA, i can't stand it -

i don't think wearing compressing bandeaus after LIFT and implant exchange would go over too well as that would be pressing on the stitching - guess I better begin TRYING to wear a bra everyday and camisole vs bandeaus,,,

No one knows how difficult it is to adjust to one natural and one fake implant breast,,, it is a challenge - and part of me says maybe just skip the lIFT and get the implant - no one would know when I was dressed - it would only be droopy dollie when I was undressed and i highly doubt any man who loves me would ever CARE that one was perky and one was drooopy,,,?

any thoughts on just leaving natural side droopy and not doing LIFT as option? that would prevent FALSE mammo/Ultrasound readings in future from scar tissue that appears as cancer possible in the imagery ???

thanks ladies,,, hope everyone is doing great!

MB

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sparkle, IMHO if you or anyone is considering a lift for ANY reason and you decide not to do it, will you have regrets in the long run? I had regrets after my first surgery, and decided moving forward that I would do whatever it takes to get the results I wanted, I didn't want to have any more regrets or second guessing in hindsight.

It almost seems like most of the ladies on this board fear the lift more than anything else. After everything we have been through, it surprises me. Is the lift a walk in the park? No. Is it excruciatingly painful? No. Is it uncomfortable? Yes. Does it heal? Yes. Would I do it again? Without a doubt.

The way I looked at it, I had already been through a lot, I was going through a 2nd surgery, I was going to be down again recovering from this surgery, so I might as well end up with the results that I hoped for. Our bodies do heal. Looking back, I am so glad I did the lift. My symmetry is good and I am grateful for that and I can say I have absolutely zero regrets.

• lala1
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sparkle--Has your doctor told you which type of lift he is expecting to do? That might make a difference in what you decide to do. There are 3 stages of lifts and I would think the more extensive the harder the recovery. Mine was the easiest "donut" style incision. I think the worst part was getting a bit nauseous after surgery which lasted about 2 minutes once I ate a cracker and drank some soda! I woke up quickly and was dressed and headed home in about an hour and a half. Never took pain pills. But I may be in the minority. All I can say is that, for me, the small amount of discomfort was well worth the physical and psychological improvement! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

On another note, I have post surgery camisoles as well as fancy out-on-the-town camisoles with pockets for drains and forms that I am wanting to give to someone in need. I also have a "chicken cutlet" that I used for symmetry. I even have a set of stick on nips. All are lightly used but clean. None of the charities around me will take them because they are used. Anyone need any of this or know what I can do with it? I posted this on the forum that deals with giving away this stuff and no one responded.

• momwriter
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sparkle,

It is funny- it was just like Frostecat said- I was more worried about the lift than the other side.

I decided to go ahead with the lift because of discussions on this board. I had been afraid but was also tired of droopy side looking like MX was on that side if I wore a cammy or even just a t-shirt around the house. So, surprising myself, I decided this was my one chance to achieve a little more symmetry.

Even at my Harvard med hospital, because my breasts are small and dense mammos are excruciating, and I always get callbacks- so a little more scar tissue will just give them another reason for the callback, more squishing and an U/S- but it won't change a thing since I already suffer through it. Last mammo led to biopsy (benign) so I realize it's just something I have to suffer through droopy or lift--. MRI will probably be the same though I haven't been allowed to have one with my TE- I will have one next Sept or this spring.

Update:

2 weeks out. Recovery went really well. Only took tylenol. I had it Thursday started driving Sunday- could have driven next day if I had to though head still felt funny from anesthesia- also probably better to wait. Pain wise- not too much at all. I could feel they were injured/bruised/ so I tried to take it easy and follow the rules. Range of motion on lift side was not impacted at all- I'm back to normal. My implant side I'm more careful with, but now that it's 2 weeks I'm working a bit harder on range of motion. I can also feel pull a bit if I push or lift too much - lift side is really not an issue as far as recovery for me.

I actually see my PS of the first time on Tuesday (I live 2 hours from center). I have small bandage covered by square of "saran wrap" on implant side- PS will probably take it off on Tues. I can take a shower with it. On lift side- some bandages around nipple which sticks cheerily out. Also "Saran wrap".

Results? Well- not perfect symmetrical, but better than it was. I can wear wear a t-shirt or cam without a bra and while not aligned it doesn't look like I had MX on droopy side. I will ask Tues when I'm cleared to wear a bra. I'm excited to no longer have to wear a padded bra like I did all of last year. I feel my two sides are much more even in terms of size and position and I soon can wear a shelf-cami or soft bra and it will look fine. It will also be easier to achieve symmetry in a bathing suit as well- I think. Generally since surgery I've been wearing shirts with a scarf that drapes across chess

I have no idea if my implant will fluff and drop more or not. My main concern is that it "takes" because I had radiation. So far I haven't had any problems- but I don't know what capsular contracture feels like so don't know if I'd even know if I did have it.

Good luck, everyone!

• Sparkle2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

thank you Lala, Frostecat, Momwriter and everyone who comments back,, the idea of maybe actually being able to wear a dress with no bra is sort of exciting or a tank with built in bra or halter dress and not have that super droopy one droopy anymore,,, that would be great! i do feel i will be happier when the droppy one is fixed!

and I know - taking time - it will heal and I have a great PS,,, so I should just go for it!! thanks (July I think) wanted to do in June but can't as he will be away a week and family need to be here right after it will be away - so July best,,, seems far off but it will be here b/f you know it and at least I can maybe enjoy May and June and part of July nice weather without bandages or pain - after long frozen winter I dont even want to try to get done any sooner,,,, I can live fine with expander in and look fine in clothes and it actually seems like good timing as work is slower in summer and I can heal outside in shade and not be freezing in air conditioner,,,, thank again :)

• PMR53
    PMR53 Member Posts: 185
    edited April 2015
    Options

Lala

I sent you a message on your donation. I have Uni right side May 4. The PS is doing immediate reconstruction with TE. Not sure what to expect as far as pain, ROM. As far as symmetry or wearing bras or swim suits what should I wear this summer as I am under construction? This BC has been devastating and horrible. At least I survived chemo. Thank you for any advice you have!

PMR53.

• lala1
    edited April 2015
    Options

PMR53---I sent you a PM re donations but about what to wear through all this.....I had my surgery in Dec so had cold weather clothing to work with. This is what worked for me. Right after MX I wore the velcro camisoles for drains. I got drains out in a week but continued to use the camisoles for a month or so. I used scarves to hide the really droopy native side. Finally after crying to my doc about not being able to achieve some sense of symmetry, he sent me to the breast center where they have a shop with wigs and bras and such. She put me in an ABC mastectomy bra and sold me a prosthesis. Completely changed my world!! She showed me how to use the cutlet to balance me out and it turned out the compression and support from the bra took away the majority of the pain I'd been experiencing. The bra hooks up the front and is pleated so it kinda shows through with tight shirts but otherwise I wore that pretty much till my exchange 3 months later. I'm now in a Bali 3488 but am slowly getting myself into a Vanity Fair wireless bra. Still can't bear to wear and underwire for more than a couple of hours but that's just me. My docs all say I shouldn't have any issues but I find they feel as if they are poking into my armpit. Anyway, ask your doctor if there is a shop near you that specializes in BC stuff. They can help tremendously.

• PMR53
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thank you Lala!

There is a shop that specializes in this problem not to far from SO office. They said to stop by after MX when I am healed somewhat. I guess no tank tops for the summer. I will have to see what kind of bra I will tolerate.

PMR53

• lala1
    edited April 2015
    Options

I've found good homes for my BC rehab cammies and cutlets! Makes me very happy! I've just had someone else ask though so if anyone has anything they'd like to rehome, please post on the forums. I know this stuff is expensive so it's nice to help out where we can!

• Loveroflife
    Loveroflife Member Posts: 4,243
    edited April 2015
    Options

Lala, you are a sweetheart

• PMR53
    edited April 2015
    Options

Lala! Thankyou. Can't wait for my package. Appreciate this and I plan on donating quite a bit when I am done!

PMR53

• isabelarcher
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sparkle-- I have one Perky and one Droopy. I didn't want to go for the lift. I would say most of the time I'm content because I look completely symmetrical in bras and underwire bathing suits, and my wonderful husband insists he couldn't care less about the asymmetry all the other times. Occasionally I do think about getting the lift because it would be fun to be perky on both sides and not to worry about the Nightgown Issue--I feel I have to cover myself up quite well when we have guests or my grown kids are around. (Someone above said it right--it's the side where I HAVE a real boob that looks like I don't have one there because of the droopiness!) When I think about getting the lift, though, I can't actually imagine calling the PS and making the appointment and doing it. For me the risk of losing sensation in the relocated real nipple (my PS said some women do, some don't) is not worth it. If I had a guarantee about this--if I knew I'd have as much feeling after it was moved--I'd think more seriously about getting the procedure.

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited April 2015
    Options

Isabel - I did not lose sensation. As a matter fact, it seems more sensitive. I realize this isn't a given for everyone, but just wanted to let you know my experience.

• isabelarcher
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thanks, Frostecat--that is helpful and does make me think that maybe, eventually, I will do it, if I have a strong sudden conviction that it's the right thing to do.

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2015
    Options

I did not lose sensation either.  I am very happy that I got to save one breast and would do it again.  The lift was not hard.  I have a small implant in that breast for symmetry.  It is under the muscle though-like an augumented breast so is way different than my full implant in masectomy breast...much softer.

• lala1
    edited April 2015
    Options

I also had my native side augmented as well. It's not under the muscle, just under the breast tissue so recovery was very easy. And I haven't lost any sensation at all!