Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo August 2014

Options

Comments

• Nomatterwhat
    Nomatterwhat Member Posts: 210
    edited August 2014
    Options

Amy,

Since we both start chemo the same day, I will be thinking of you from Independence.  

Jess1965 -- I understand the need for joining the living.  I only go outside after dark or sit on my back deck where nobody can see me.  I am trying to get over the fear of going into a store or a restaurant at this point without the paranoia that people are looking at me.   

• wizard50
    wizard50 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014
    Options

Ladyb - I lost 2-3 lbs this week, not nearly as much as you.  Some of it may be water weight and once you're able to eat some weight may come back.  I barely ate last week.  I had absolutely no appetite and nothing sounded or tasted good.  Sometimes I feel queasy or have the big D after eating which also made me not want to eat.  Last night I was actually hungry and ate a 6 inch Subway sandwich. Not the healthiest choice but sounded good.  The only problem I had with it was I tasted so much pepper that my mouth started burning.  I think it's my taste buds run amok.  It's almost lunch tome today and I'm still not hungry so I know my appetite is still messed up.  At this point I eat when I'm hungry and I continue to force myself to drink fluids.  

• wizard50
    edited August 2014
    Options

I forgot to mention that I developed a rash on arms and one leg.  It's not that noticeable but I can feel the bumps under skin and it's not itchy.  Has anyone else gotten a rash?

• jetgal23
    jetgal23 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2014
    Options

Wow - Terry - you look great!  I'm cutting my hair Monday but mine is fairly short to begin with.  

I had the neulasta shot yesterday and it was surprisingly easy and uneventful.  I'm prepared to take Alleve if I need it but so far I'm just feeling tired and a bit flu-like (flushed, warm, minor aches but doable).  So as promised I've worked all day trying to get my pottery up online, and I have a lot more but this is as much as I could do today.  I'll keep you posted as I put up more.  I'm not sure how many more craft shows I can do so this is how I will primarily be selling my work.  I'm thinking of making something in honor of our breast cancer sisters but I'm not quite there yet.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GoldhawkPotteryEtc

Hang in there everyone and take it one day at a time!! Cheers!

• zaq
    zaq Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    Options

Did my first Chemo AC on 8/7. today is 10th day, doing well, not much side effects, feeling little tired. went to work 4 days after chemo and plan to work until next chemo on 8/21. 1 wk after chemo my WBC ct was 1.9 and ANC was 600, so my HO put me on Cipro BID.

Lost 1kg since then .

• SandyLovesLucy
    SandyLovesLucy Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2014
    Options

Welcome Purplegurll/Robyn, Pangtidor, and nomatterwhat and good luck as you start treatment. 

Ladyb, hope your tummy troubles are better today.  I'll join you in the happy dance about your upcoming port placement!  I had mine placed on Monday, 8/11 and I barely feel it now.  The first couple of nights I didn't know what sleep position to be in to not disturb it but it doesn't feel obtrusive anymore.

I wanted to add that I did not mean so sound flip about telling my family not to shave their heads.  The fact that our loved ones are willing to make that and so many other sacrifices on our behalf is amazing. I love the idea of someone getting a cute short cut and using it as an opportunity to talk about BC.  Before I was diagnosed, one of my daughters had her long hair cut and donated it to Locks of Love.  When I look at her now, I think of that. 

Kelly, love your haircut! 

When I told my Mom that I got my wig she said "what are you going to do if you DON'T lose your hair???"  I said I will be very happy about that and I'll have a wig for bad hair days! :)  I know it is hard to her to accept that I'm going through this and the hair loss will be such a visible symbol of it.  One of my kids went through chemo in her teens and going with her to buy her wig was a very emotional experience for us both. No matter how old the "child" is, it is heartbreaking for a mother to see her child ill.

Grateful here for minimal side effects. Today I mostly feel like a have a mild case of the flu with joint and body aches.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend, take care of yourselves and have a little fun. :)

Sandy

• Hope50
    Hope50 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2014
    Options

Has anyone else had a flushed face?  My cheeks are pretty bright red.  No real tummy issues to speak of yet.  I've had a headache pretty consistent.  Feeling a little achy but all tolerable.  Pretty tired.  What day was everyone's worse day?  

Looking into some hats and wigs.  I feel like I have a very fat head.  So glad I found this site.  Hope everyone is doing well with their SEs.  I thinking drinking lots of water has helped as was suggested.  

Have a great weekend friends!

• khillman9
    khillman9 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2014
    Options

Day 2 after chemo, feeling like the flu.  No tummy problems so far.  Keeping with zantac and water.  Appetite ok so far.  I am hoping most of what I feel is from the lack of sleep rather than the chemo.  Need sleep.  Been trying all afternoon, no luck.

Welcome to the new comers.

Terry, hair cut is gorgeous.

Thanks to for the updates everyone.  It really helps to see where everyone is

Kathy

• Terri1975
    Terri1975 Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2014
    Options

ladyb1234-  I can't  believe you've lost so much weight, that's terrible. I only lost a couple of pounds. My taste buds are really messed up. I have noticed things that were never spicy, are now. It's crazy! Good luck to you! 

• Lumpy3
    Lumpy3 Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi all started my chemo on 8/13. I felt pretty good first day started headache second day and been tired and head pounding ever since. Did take my dogs to the dog park but my eyes are so sensitive I couldn't take it long. On the hair note I've have had super short hair for 12 years but I'm getting married on 9/5 and I'm going be bald by then and it's bothering me.  I'm not really a fan of wig but maybe I need something. 

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Options

It is your special day that you will look back on hopefully for the rest of your life. Do what makes you feel special and beautiful. They have beautiful wigs if you want them obviously. You said you're not a fan. Have you seen the ornate henna headcoverings that you can get. They look so pretty and feminine. Congrats on your big day!

• randomchance
    randomchance Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2014
    Options

I am not cutting off my long hair ahead of time either. They say to cut it short so it's less traumatic when it falls out and I feel like, what? First I have the trama of cutting it. And then I get the trama of it falling out? Depending on how it falls out I may just wear a hat until it hits the tipping point. I got a lot of offers to shave in solidarity, and I turned them down saying not only is it pointless, it will just remind me I am bald too.

• randomchance
    edited August 2014
    Options

I also have a rash. A and d ointment helps a lot

• randomchance
    edited August 2014
    Options

my doctor told me I am not supposed to lose any weight but i lost 6 pounds in the first 3 days. I have no real desire to eat and all I can really enjoy right now is pasta or rice or vegetables swimming in cheese or cream sauce. I am also drinking protein drinks and eating nuts and bananas. The heavy carb thing is a bit of a problem because my husband just got his diabetes under control and I am undermining his progress, but I am trying hard to balance our opposite needs. Really, my kids do 95% of the cooking so it's more a matter of getting them to cook a meal that is half to my needs and half to my husband's, and portioning appropriately.

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited August 2014
    Options

Random, yes that is what my MO told me too.  I lost 6 to 7 pounds within the first 3 to 4 days, then I took a nose dive in terms of eating and keeping things in on day 4.  My doctor has switched my nausea meds and suggested ensure/boost.  The other suggestion I was given was to add probitics (sp?).  Hopefully as Wizard stated most is water weight and I will gain at least half back when I am really able to keep things in.

Hope50, I was doing well with minimal to mild SEs until day 4 which was the  Sunday after my treatment.   I took a deep dive  with SEs that really took me for a tailspin (nausea, the big "D", tastebuds, sore tongue, headache,  were the big ones) and began to feel a little better by late Wednesday (which I believe was day 7).   

• Lumpy3
    edited August 2014
    Options

no I haven't check out the henna head coverings maybe I should thank you 

• wizard50
    edited August 2014
    Options

Randomchance - I feel the same way about my long hair.  If it was up to me I would wait until it started to fall out to cut it.  My daughter is much more emotional about my hair loss than I am so to please her it's become more of a production than I wanted.  She also wants to shave her head and I've told her no.  I know my family and friends love and support me and shaving their heads is so not necessary.

• mullerin
    mullerin Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2014
    Options

Finishing Day 6 today, and I am managing to keep my side effects under control with appropriate medications. I feel like I'm playing "Cancer Land," and I never know what the spin of the day will be:  "You will never poop again" has come up all week, but today I got "Better not get far from the bathroom." However, I have family in town visiting, so I took my immodium and a nausea medication and managed to enjoy a fancy dinner out! Things are still tasting pretty good, for which I am thankful. Day 3 was definitely the low point this week -- I took a hot bath (too soon?), felt faint, and threw up rather dramatically. But only once! Again, the medication kept it under control. It seems like there will be some respite from symptoms between infusions (every three weeks for me) and that is a relief. I often feel that I can't possibly get up and do anything, then I get up and do, and it feels much better. 

Terri, I too cut 12 inches off my hair a few weeks ago. I have worn long hair for most of my life, but I have enjoyed the complements on the new cut, and it's easy to take care of. I ordered a wig which is now awaiting the final fit. It's synthetic, but it looks remarkably like the color and cut I have now. I have decided to try some historic patterns for mob caps, linen night caps, and anything that takes my fancy -- then see if I'm bold enough to wear them in public.

Ladyb -- I hope your ability to hold down food improves. That's a lot of weight to lose so fast!

Wizart -- No rash, but I took four days of dexamethasone, which is supposed to help with symptoms like that. I didn't enjoy the sleep problems or the racing mind, but I have suffered from psoriasis on my hands and feet for years, and that cleared up as soon as I started the steroid. With luck, the chemo will keep psoriasis at bay as well.

Best wishes to all of you.

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies, 

Ladyb - so sorry u r having stomach issues and wt loss. I can tell u that I have been taking probiotics daily and believe it helps. I also take 1-2 Beeno before eating and before my stomach gets gassy. That has been working for me also. I hope u can get a good remedy going to help with ur SE. Oh and yes, the boost very vanilla over ice was my savior the days I couldn't eat. 

I too have chronic mouth soreness and taste buds aren't doing great. Rinsing w salt water after meals has helped and senodyn toothpaste and biotene mouth rinse have helped.

I wanted to mention, since I dissed my daughter last time (about not offering to cut her hair). That she did donate to locks of love just prior to even knowing I was diagnosed. Great support system and so appreciated.

I guess our new SE have become our new normal in some respects, but I totally want to figure out how to control most of them before heading into next treatment.

I drove upstate for the day and took a chairlift to top of  Mt Snow. Really cold up there, but bought a head piece at base and wore it on top to keep my head warm. Practicing for my hair loss. Looks like a chemo hat only really goes under the ski helmet. Lol

Welcome to the newcomers, you have joined a great group and the info and experiences given have helped me thru my first week of treatment and hopefully thru this whole experience. 

We got this!

Cathie

• jetgal23
    jetgal23 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2014
    Options

Zaq - your WBC went too low so they put you on Cipro? Yikes...sending you healing thoughts to get your strength back up.

Ladyb - you sound like an amazing woman and I hope you get back to eating and normal weight.  I'm finding that I am feeling better with food even if I don't want to eat.  

Hope50 - yes, I primarily had flushed face since day one but I wasn't sure if it was due to the changing weather.  I now know its part of the mix for me so I keep taking my temp.  I'm not used to fevers and finally yesterday I took my temp and I was just at 100.3 which scared me.  I started pumping water and drinks and it went back down to mid-99 so I'm trying to stay aware of this.  Doesn't help that my mouth is increasingly cotton-y but reading all of your stories, I realize that anything can happen to anyone of of us.  My mom made pumpkin bread with chocolate chips yesterday and that was so tasty for me.  

OH well, lets see what today brings.  May you have an uneventful day everyone!!  Be well..

• Lumpy3
    edited August 2014
    Options

hope50 I was flushed day 2 and 3 after chemo  felt like the kool aid man I was so red . I  have had constant headache today is 5 days out. I went for walk at river felt way tired hot and winded but it feels good to be out in the air. 

• pangtidor
    pangtidor Member Posts: 121
    edited August 2014
    Options

I have packed my chemo bag. Heavy with 6 bottles of water, waiting for my huge water jug delivery. Have all the 'may needed meds' packed. Will talk to the oncologist before chemo Tuesday. I am a lot better prepared now so I will get all the details of my diagnosis. I will do my part time night shift job tonight(might be the last one) and go for echo tomorrow morning and followed by port placement.

Thank you so much for all your posts August ladies!you are all my inspiration to stand up tall and be strong for the long road ahead. I spent all night reading all the post from page 1 to the last. I'm 36, have 2 young kids (5 yo special need and 8 months) and a wonderful husband. There are still things to be grateful for...

Love you all....

• barremom64
    barremom64 Member Posts: 122
    edited August 2014
    Options

pangtidor- Best of luck with echo and port placement. You are an inspiration to me...with two young children and a part-time job...amazing! 

Wishing you smooth sailing with chemo on Tuesday- 

((((HUGS)))))

• Terri1975
    Terri1975 Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2014
    Options

Pangtidor

best of luck! You'll do well. Good job, bring lots of water, and eat! I have been able to work my full time job too. I know it must be hard with two kids, especially a baby. Hang in there!

• jess1965
    jess1965 Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2014
    Options

pangtidor, good luck! You'll do great...and we are all cheering for you!

Teri, love your hair! Cute and sassy! 

Lumpy, I've had the constant headache as well. At first I thought it was steroids, but haven't taken them since 2nd day and now in day 4. Kinda blue today. Had naively thought that I would sort of snap out of it and have my usual energy and everything. Feeling like it's a giant mountain today. Tomorrow will be ok...just need to allow ourselves to feel tired and frustrated too. 

I know it gets tough for the caregivers. Relentless. I hate being that person...but I've been so blessed with good health up to this point in my life that I need to give myself a break. I'm trying.

One day at a time, right?!!

Thanks for listening. Wishing you all a good night and lots of rest. Jess

• oceanbreeze1818
    oceanbreeze1818 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2014
    Options

Jess1965 - I'm right there with you regarding the blues.  Thought I'd snap out of it but haven't.  Been bummed all day...decided Facebook today and my news feed was making me upset and mad so I need to stay off for while.  Just hard sometimes to see everyone else having a great time and here I am dealing with this crap in my body and my energy is zapped.  Hoping tomorrow is better.  My parents brought my girls back from the beach alittle while ago so seeing them put a smile on my face.

Hope everyone is doing well!

One day at a time....

Karina

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Options

Pangtidor: Lots of luck with your echo and port placement tomorrow and Chemo Tuesday. Sounds like you have everything ready to go. I don't work and have deep respect for those who do. Do what you need to for you and those babies when it comes to work...just make sure you are one of the priorities in the equation. It is so easy as a mom to leave ourselves out. I will be praying for you that all goes well with minimal SE's.

• Kellya
    Kellya Member Posts: 159
    edited August 2014
    Options

Jess, glad you are feeling good!

Teri, I love your hair, that is what my normal length is and I've  decided to hang onto it until about the 14th day.Supposedly  the 17th day is when mine will fall out.  

Ladyb, I was told if I do lose weight I should drink protein shakes, either ones you make or boost.  I think the three drugs you are taking is what I start on the 25th.  Hope they can figure out something for you soon.

• barremom64
    barremom64 Member Posts: 122
    edited August 2014
    Options

OceanBreeze/Karina- I understand how you feel. Selfishly, sometimes I just want it to rain so it matches my mood.  Its hard to see everyone out enjoying the summer and you don't have the energy to do much except hang around house.  At least you had some time to yourself to refuel, rest and reset. Now your girls are home and children bring light and life into the house don't they! Enjoy them...Be well

• DonnaNJ
    DonnaNJ Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello everyone,

I had a super fantastic day! My body seems to be craving water and I was told to drink it until I've had enough, then drink some more. I actually woke up today without a belly ache!!! So excited! My husband made us pork roll and egg sandwiches. Maybe a little too rich, I did have a little gas and one BM, but I'll take it! My lips feel like cotton, but the more water I drink, the better I feel. I thought my cheeks looked flush back a few days after chemo, didn't think much of it until now. Hand in there girls! There are good days coming!!!! If I wake up bellyache free, I'm headed to the beach tomorrow! Have a good night everyone! Donna