Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo August 2014

Options

Comments

• randomchance
    randomchance Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2014
    Options

I have been feeling better every day since Sunday. Monday I only had about 2 hours when I wasn't asleep or at work but sleep feels so good.

I now have the rash I get with sulfa drugs and thrush, I will have to call the doctor when they open and see what can be done. I am very prone to rashes so I am not really surprised.

My only other SE besides fatigue is that I have spent so much time in the bathroom I think I am passing things I ate in a previous life.

• SandyLovesLucy
    SandyLovesLucy Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2014
    Options

Randomchance, I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better but sorry about the rash!  Hope they can give you something to control it quickly.

Jetgal and oceanbreeze, thinking of you today. Hope all goes well.

Donna, Happy Birthday!  Hope you get a fabulous birthday cake to enjoy! 

Today is day 3 after chemo.  I've been feeling good so far but have insomnia the last two nights presumably from the steroids.  I had tons of energy and probably did too much work yesterday. Never took that nap I planned to take!  Today I feel fuzzy headed and had a brief moment of nausea.  Still sore from the port, and from the re-excision lumpectomy.  I've been taking the prescribed pain meds but will try to switch over to extra strength Tylenol today.  Sometimes I forget that I have had three surgical procedures in less than a month and that maybe a little more rest wouldn't hurt. I'm taking B6 to help prevent neuropathy and am going to pick up L-Glutamine today. Wig shopping tomorrow with my sister.  We sure know how to fill the weeks with activities these days, don't we?  :)

Hugs and feel good wishes to all of you!

Sandy

• wizard50
    wizard50 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014
    Options

Happy Birthday Donna!  I hope you're feeling better today so can get out there and celebrate.  Have an awesome day!

• Tabbygirl521
    Tabbygirl521 Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2014
    Options

I want to thank everyone so much for sharing experiences and advice. My first treatment will be Friday and I am glad to see I am not the only one who is nervous but also a little excited to get things rolling. 

It's Day 6 after my port placement and I am surprised that already I forget about it for good stretches of time. The incision areas are a little itchy, and the port area is still tender, but better everyday. So, there is hope. :)

Mullerin, are you at VM by any chance? I haven't brought up medical MJ to my doc, but am keeping it in mind. I am a bit leery of the prescribed meds having so many "drowsy" side effects. I dislike that a lot. 

Continued good wishes to everyone! We can do this. 

And thank you to the mods for the great resource links! 

Angela

• StrongEnough13
    StrongEnough13 Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2014
    Options

Still feeling pretty good this morning (is this day 1 or day 2 if I had my 1st tx yesterday?) I was a little worried about sleep on the steroid last night, but I don't generally have trouble sleeping, ever, and I did get to sleep in a timely manner. I had a little trouble getting back to sleep after getting up to pee, but just read for a little bit & that did the trick. Slept all the way through to my alarm this morning. Grape nuts, coffee, water & more meds for breakfast, and I just have a mild headache and a little wobbly in the knees. I'm working today (from home) and all is well so far. 

Sandy, wow, that's a lot of surgeries in a short time. I had to have a re-excision, too, and although I had nearly no pain with that one, I was unusually tired for a good 2-3 weeks. Kept having to remind myself that a good size chunk of my boob was still working on healing, even though it wasn't hurting. The other 2 surgeries (excisional biopsy and nipple-sparing lumpectomy which didn't work) and the MRI guided biopsy were much more painful. The sentinel node biopsy (same time as the 1st lumpectomy) was a nightmare for healing. Very painful. So you have the double-whammy of healing and chemo making you tired! Sounds to me like you are doing great!

Donna, Happy Birthday!

Warm fuzzies to Ocean breeze and Jetgal. Good luck today, you got this!

• DonnaNJ
    DonnaNJ Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good afternoon everyone!

I'm home today. My husband twisted my arm to stay home, and I'm glad I did! My stomach was so gassy and I had four BM's before ten AM. I have a post-pregnancy hemorrhoid (age eleven) that was so painful, I crawled into bed and wanted to cry! Good news, Preparation H works! My first time ever using it, but instant relief! I had tea and crackers and finally my stomach is settling down! My sister dropped off dinner and a red velvet cake. She set me up on Lotsa Hands website and emailed my friends and co-workers to set up a schedule for dropping off dinners at my house. She picked today! My MO is allowing me to bump my next chemo to Tuesday so that my bad days fall on Saturday and Sunday. After yesterday and today, I'm definitely going to bump forward.

Regarding the Port: I had mine put in my chest, threaded up through my neck. The post-surgery pain was worse than my breast surgery! I couldn't get comfortable to sleep. It took a little over a week, now it's just a part of me. Feels weird but no pain or uncomfortableness.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Glad to be home instead of work today! Enjoy your afternoon everyone!

Hugs,

Donna

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited August 2014
    Options

K All, I am back -- I think. I had a deep dive on Sunday evening and just getting back to a sane place today where I can think and half way function.  Day 1-3 were really a non-even for me however days 4-6 were a bear.

Day 5-6 I lost my appetite, nausea kicked in full force even with meds, the Big "D" kicked in yesterday and it was atomic (TMI) I know but if we can't sure the details with each of you  who else can I share with  (big smile). I did not have the big "C" at all.  I am also so so very sensitive to smell. I even smell myself which is driving me crazy.  Anyone else have this SE?

Terry1965:  I was given the mouthwash for thrush  yesterday. I don't have mouth sores just a very thick nasty tasting white coating on my tongue.  Like Wizard indicated, Nothing I mean nothing taste good -- even water or quenching my thirst.  But I will do what we need to do.  Any tricks or advice on how to just force food in please let me know (big smile).  As the Big "D" and not eating is not a good combination.   I am sticking with broth and flavored water right now.  I also will definitely take your suggestion of drinking plenty of water during the treatment. My Onc Nurse kept stressing that but not sure I did enough day 2/3 and maybe.

Are any of you taking supplements or vitamin's you can suggest that I talk to my MO about?

Wizard50 and thinkpink - I'm in too!  Our motto is "taking it one day at a time". I had the tought before my surgery and Chemo that I feel good and can still go, get things accomplished and be me.  What a difference a few weeks make. I am like you Wizard, I said this is not me I can't just go and must really think about my endurance and stamina and take it one day at a time so I don't promise deliverables even at work (with my bosses support). We can take our motto and put it around Lucy episodes :-).

DonnaNJ:  Happy Belated Birthday!  I hope you were able to enjoy some dinner and cake!.

Ocean Breeze, JetGal - thinking of of you today.  

Strongenough13 -- hopeing day 2 is going well for you.

KiLin -- thanks for dropping in from the July 2014 group and offering encourage and support. We welcome it!

Lastly, Welcome newcomers to the group.  I will add most to the list by tomorrow. Please let me know if I leave anyone off or dates need to change. I am hoping everyone's SEs are minimal or you find relief from SE.  Thoughts are with those starting chemo this week and hoping for minimal to no SEs.  Please read through this thread, or the July or June 2014 Chemo thread to read upon SEs which may prompt questions for you to ask you MO or Onc Nurse..

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good afternoon, August chemo ladies! I'm Mags, and I started and monitor the July chemo thread. I have loved having LadyB, Wizard, and oceanbreeze in our group, and am confident after scanning your pages that you are in good hands, each others' good hands now. Even though it's a club no one wants to join, you will be amazed at the camaraderie that you will experience as you go through what is undoubtedly one of the hardest things you will ever do. You will share TMIs that you'd never thought you would, all the SEs, it's all important, so don't hold back. You will have something happen that you weren't warned about, so it couldn't possibly be an SE, until you share it and find you're not alone. Then, as I did yesterday, you can tell your MO, and that others are having the same, and he will say, well, I haven't heard of that one, but we can add it to the list, and let's see if this rx will help it.

You will find support in the most unexpected places, and none where you thought there would be. Family and friends may absent themselves, and others, even strangers, may become BFFs. A lady I haven't seen for 20 years messaged me and revealed she is a survivor who now works as a counselor with the American Cancer Society. She checks in every couple of days. Amazing. You may have to radically adjust your expectations of the ones closest to you, remembering that sometimes it's just that they don't know the right thing to do or say.

This is the journey of a lifetime, I can say at age 63, I never expected THIS! But you ladies will hold each other up comfort and encourage, even rage with each other at the stupid things that will happen or be said or done to you. And somehow, even though there will be times you won't believe it's possible, you will get through it, together, and be stronger, wiser, and more beautiful than ever, if that were even possible.

• khillman9
    khillman9 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2014
    Options

Would like to be added to 8/14 please

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2014
    Options

ladyB - I definitely had a couple of days of smell sensitivity. Yes I even had to go rewash my underarms because I couldn't stand myself. Fortunately that only lasted a couple of days, but can't consume as much and HEARTBURN. I finally tried beeno before eating some soup. So far so good! Oh and my appetite is returning slowly. I have been back to work, but fortunately only had to work half days yesterday and today. Did get tired by the time I returned home. Planning a getaway next wknd w the family. We haven't all been together in quite a while, since my son lives and works in China, and my daughter down in Va. Today is his Bday also, and it is so good to have him home at this time. 

Hoping ladies that just started treatment are doing well today. Please keep us posted.

• khillman9
    khillman9 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2014
    Options

Haven't started chemo yet, tomorrow.  Really scared, almost cancelled yesterday.  Sometimes too much information is a bad thing.  I called MO and she calmed me down.  So I started my steroids today and will do what I need to, to get past this.  Thank you everyone for writing your experiences.  Even though they can be overwhelming to read (at times), they are making me less frightened about what to expect.  I hope this makes sense.  

Hoping everyone's SE's are minimal. 

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited August 2014
    Options

I started DD A/C in Aug BUT that was in 2009.  Then did 12 weekly adjuvant Taxol starting in Nov 2009.  I am IBC and am still here and NED.  The time will pass a lot quicker than you now think.

• wizard50
    wizard50 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014
    Options

khillman - I can relate to your anxiety over starting chemo.  It's scary and overwhelming all at the same time.  Just know that there are dozens and dozens of possible SE and you will not experience them all.  Sadly some people have horrible SE and there was one woman whose only SE was acne.  My worst SE has been fatigue.  Yesterday was tough because I wanted to get out of the house but I didn't have the energy or drive to make that happen.  I'm learning to take it one day at a time and today I showered AND got out of the house.  Baby steps :) 

Just remember to stay strong and positive and we are all here for you.  

• Tabbygirl521
    edited August 2014
    Options

Mags, your post is so encouraging. And I really did laugh out loud and snort at the cartoon. I need that on a shirt. It does help to laugh when we can, I think! Thanks for taking the time to share the positives with us.

• oceanbreeze1818
    oceanbreeze1818 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Wanted to reach out and let you know how my first treatment went today to hopefully calm some anxiety some of you have.  

Thankfully my first treatment was very uneventful!  I arrived with my items in tow, had weight and blood pressure checked and then picked a chair to settle in.  I was given Tylenol and was advised I would start with Benadryl liquid this time and then anti nausea med and the steroid decadron.   They all took a hour total.  I will say the Benadryl made me very tired.  After those meds I started with Taxotere that took an hour, Carboplatin took another hour and Herceptin and hour and a half.  When I was done the nurse flushed my port and cleaned me up and I was on my way.  

I had no ill side effects from the meds..never really knew the were in me without seeing them drip into the tubes. I slept for about two hours.  Nurse said since I took meds so well they will slowly speed up the drip next time so I should only be there for about 4 to 4.5 hours.

The nurses were so nice and seem to really appreciate a positive attitude which I tried to maintain.  

I made sure I ate a decent breakfast of pancakes and bacon.  I did get hungry there but when I tried a few saltine crackers they did not really taste right.  I sucked on a few sugar free lifesavers and drank a ton and I mean A TON of water.  I literally peed 6 times in 20 mins.  Kinda hampered the sleeping but at least I was able to get some. Nurse said best thing to do is stay hydrated.

I did notice somewhat of dry mouth after I woke up so I just kept drinking water and still am.  I did get some lunch after I was done and made myself stop eating because I knew I was getting full but still felt so hungry.  I'm glad I stopped because a few minutes later I was full.  The nurse warned me that a side effect in people with the steroid is either really hungry or tons of energy and possible insomnia.  I have not noticed an energy difference but when I tried to lay down for a nap I really didn't fall asleep just more rested my eyes.  So if insomnia hits tonight I am glad my husband dvr'd movies we have not seen yet from this past weekend when the Starz channel was free :-)

One side effect I am noticing right away is the wonderful smell of chemicals that is coming out of my body ( insert sarcasm).  I didn't notice really until I was in my bathroom (note I have a small separate room in my bathroom with a door where my toilet is) so in confined spaces right now I smell.  Hey, if that is only one of a few side effects I'm hoping for I will deal!  So far I'm feeling decent and hope it stays that way for a little while as I would like to get to the gym tomorrow for a workout.  

I met a few ladies in there going through what we are all going through and they were just diagnosed recently.  One thing I'd like to mention to you ladies who may be concerned with not only losing your hair but your eyebrows and lashes...invest in Brian Joseph's eyebrow and lash gel.  It's a little tube for about 40$ and you apply it one to two times a day on the bottom of your eyebrow and eyelashes.  It is recommended to apply before chemo and keep using it 60 days after chemo and it helps to keep your eyebrows and lashes.  I bought one at the store in my center and started using it Saturday.  I apply it at night before I go to bed.  Super easy and does not bother my eyes at all.  The one girl that I meet today just finished her chemo and had come in for fluids and she used this through out her treatment and she had full lashes and eyebrows!  I also saw a pic of a girl who started to use this gel after her first chemo and she has successfully kept her brows and lashes.  Just wanted to give you this info in case you want to give it a try.  

I did have some anxiety when I went today but received a text from a friend who has battle BC twice by the age of 35 and made it through....I wanted to share with you...she said when the time comes that those first few drops of the chemo meds start to drip and enter your body I want you to close your eyes, take a deep breath and say to yourself...ok meds do your job and get this b*tch out of my body!!!!  And than I added I have a life to live and this cancer will not take me away from it!  And each time a new med started that is exactly what I said to myself!  

You, my dear friends, got this!  Though the good and bad days..YOU are stronger than this!!!!!

Hugs and positive vibes to all! 

Karina

• barremom64
    barremom64 Member Posts: 122
    edited August 2014
    Options

Oceanbreeze- I will be starting chemo within the next 2 weeks. I found your post truly inspiring.

All the best to you...

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2014
    Options

Oceanbreeze- so glad your treatment went well. 

• Kellya
    Kellya Member Posts: 159
    edited August 2014
    Options

all the comments are so real and in can feel myself getting a bit nervous.

Karina and Mags, you both inspire me!

I'm so looking forward to a 5 day getaway before it all starts.  When I return I have the port on the 22nd and then chemo the 25th...big exhale!

One day at a time, we will kick this beast to the curb!

• Hope50
    Hope50 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2014
    Options

I go for my first chemo tomorrow morning.  You guys are so encouraging.  Thank you for all the info.  You are angels!!  Been feeling good today about it, tonight a little anxious.  I can do this. One moment at a time!!  Thanks everyone!  Best wishes to all you out there going through it with me.

• didi123
    didi123 Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2014
    Options

good luck tomorrow Hope.  

• DonnaNJ
    DonnaNJ Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good luck tomorrow Hope! It will be an uneventful day and the beginning of the end! You will sail through it! Hugs, Donna

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hope Good luck with your first infusion tomorrow.

• Kellogg2006
    Kellogg2006 Member Posts: 159
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hope good luck tomorrow!!

• SandyLovesLucy
    SandyLovesLucy Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2014
    Options

good luck, Hope.  Sending hugs your way!

• jess1965
    jess1965 Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2014
    Options

ocean breeze,

Thanks so much for your encouraging post! I'm so glad that your first day went so well and hope that y are still feeling great. 

Hope, I'll be with you tomorrow as I go in for my first chemo tomorrow morning. Sending lots of love to all of you!

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good luck tomorrow killman9 and jess1965, and anyone else who starts tomorrow. I start a week from tomorrow and will be cold caping for like eight hours as well. Please post and let us know how your first day went. Hugs.

Gatomal

• Tabbygirl521
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow. I will be right behind you on Friday. 

Gatomal, I am really interested in how cold capping goes for you. 

• jetgal23
    jetgal23 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2014
    Options

Wow lots of great posts and news  - OceanBreeze, thanks for that wonderful update!

I had my first treatment yesterday early morning and I had an IV placed in my left hand (I'm right handed) - very slight pain but very doable.  Thanks to reading others stories, I had a heads up about a few things.  I had not really received the chemo "training" so I had a list of questions but my nurse was wonderful and answered them all and much more, taking me on a tour of the facility early on and giving me lots of chemo literature.  She also encouraged me to stick to what works for me, not to go too far in advance imagining of SE's and use what I would normally use for pain.  And to make sure I call them if anything unusual happens.  SO that made me feel better.  I also received 3 additional medicines before the chemo drip - Pepcid, Benadryl and another anti nausea med.  The Benadryl was so obvious when it started as I immediately got a bit tired and loopy.  Certainly made everything else easier.  Minor pain in the first 30 minutes or so.  The first treatment, Taxotere was about an hour and obviously my vein took it well.  The next - Cyotaxin was shorter.  I was surprised how quickly it went and I was out by 11:30 AM.  I was overprepared with reading material etc and my brother was with me (visiting me from California) so it went quickly.  

I used a small water bottle and recorded how much I was drinking.  Nurse said to drink 2-3 quarts in the first day which is definitely more than I usually drink so I wanted to know how much I was drinking.  I tried to nap for a few hours, haven't been sleeping greatly but not awful.  I didn't notice anything else bothering me, but at dinner time was face and chest were flushed red.  However, I'd been wearing a fleece jacket and maybe it just made me too warm.  Took my temp just in case and couldn't even get it up to 98 degrees.  I need to get some biotene for mouth wash but my education packet said to rinse my mouth out after meals with small amount of baking soda and water, so I did that last night and seemed to help.  Got a soft tooth brush but used my regular toothpaste.  Will get the biotene paste or Tom's of Maine today.

Slept ok last night, getting up a couple of times per night to pee but it doesn't smell for me, and I do wash off the toilet each time with an antibacterial wipe since we have only one bathroom and there are 3 others right now in the house.  Lots of hand washing too.  Really nothing else to report except maybe a little bit of cotton mouth.  Gonna try to stay busy today.  I had a sale last night on my Etsy shop - sending a pottery yarn bowl to Toronto - so happy!  Little victories! If anyone wants to see my pottery let me know and I'll get you my Etsy shop link.  So happy I can do this work from home and hopefully will keep me busy and positive throughout the rest of the year as the holidays are my busiest time.  But as so many of you are saying - take it one day at a time!!  My best to all of you who have just started or about to start treatment.  Keep reporting - its so helpful to all of us.  Cheers and best wishes...!

• Kellya
    Kellya Member Posts: 159
    edited August 2014
    Options

hope the day goes well for those starting today and everyone who has already started, I hope your days are on the upswing!

Jet--so glad to read how your day went.  I'd love to see your pottery!  Hope you continue to do well!!

• KiLin
    KiLin Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2014
    Options

thinkpink4ever - I ended up with chemo because my tumor was triple negative - no oncotype for me.  Since the tumor is not hormone-sensitive, they do chemo instead of a hormone blocker as adjuvant therapy.

Good luck to everyone with infusions coming up!  My second one was yesterday, and it was much easier knowing what to expect.  Hang in there!