Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo August 2014

Options

Comments

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2014
    Options

I had my appointment with my MO today and I'm scheduled to start chemo on August 21st - 4 infusions of Taxotere and Cytoxan every 3 weeks.  I'm scheduled to see the nurse practitioner on Wednesday for some Chemo teaching, then I get my port in next Monday morning (supposedly in my arm) and chemo is scheduled to start on the following Thursday after some lab work is done.  Anybody else had their port put in their arm?

I also saw my PS today. So now, my stage 2 surgery that was scheduled for the Sept 19th is being postponed to 2-3 months PFC. I was looking forward to getting that done, but I guess I'll have to deal with one thing at a time, right?  (That's me talking to myself, I think!)

I guess it's time to go wig shopping.  I hope to do that this weekend.  Wow, this chemo is going to be quite the journey, and all the result of my oncotype result of 30.  They've come a long way with genetic testing since my first diagnosis, and while that's a wonderful thing, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my arms around this chemo thing.

I hope everybody's SE's are minimal.  I will be catching up on my reading later this evening since I'm just a little behind.

One love,

tp4ever

• Terri1975
    Terri1975 Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2014
    Options

had a new side effect today, my tongue is all messed up (best way to describe it) very red, sore and sensitive to foods. I called my MO, they called in miracle mouthwash with nystatin. I think it's thrush. It's hard to eat with it, hubby is getting my prescription so I'll update later. 

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Bippy625

Hang in there! My third day was the worst also. Fourth day was better and hoping tmrw will be even more so. Going to work for just a half a day. No energy so I figured I better make arrangements ahead of time. I think the suggestion of drinking lots of water before, during and after chemo to flush out of system sounds like a good plan. I'm not a good patient, I don't even deal with a cold well. I appreciate reading the strength you all have during this time. I guess the goal is to focus on the end result. 

• StrongEnough13
    StrongEnough13 Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2014
    Options

Didi, I've had long hair for years, got my pre-chemo haircut a couple days ago. It made sense to me that it will be less shocking when it starts to fall out if it's already different/shorter. More of a gradual transition from long to none. ;)  Also, I'm with justamy on the yucky factor of long strands falling out... 

Since it's probably only going to last 3 weeks anyway, I told the stylist (a new one, since my previous one moved away) what's going on & told her to just do whatever she thought would look good on me and be easy. I ended up with a bob, stacked in the back, which is not at all what I would have chosen, but I think the general consensus is that it works. It's not super short around my face, so not too awfully different from the front. Good luck! 

• didi123
    didi123 Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks Strong.  I've been thinking about getting my hair cut off for a few weeks now.  I've been putting it off for no good reason. I'm just so scared of everything.  Reading all these posts helps so much.  I want to be strong and brave.  

• thinkpink4ever
    edited August 2014
    Options

Terry, so sorry to hear about the issues with your tongue.  Let us know how the miracle mouthwash works for you and how long it takes to feel some relief.  Hope it feels better soon so that you're able to eat...

Like Catie says, I need to focus on drinking plenty of water during treatment.  It seems to be important and beneficial while getting through this whole ordeal...

I also appreciate everyone's comments about cutting your hair ahead of time.  My hair is not very long, but I'm thinking that I'd rather shave it off before it starts coming out in clumps.  I need to decide for sure what I want to do....

One love,

tp4ever

• Terri1975
    edited August 2014
    Options

think pink 

Thanks! One time of using it really helped! I also agree, drink as much water as you can. I've always been a water drinker, so not a biggie for me. Thanks for the positive thoughts! 

• wizard50
    wizard50 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014
    Options

thinkpink - I read your post on the June Surgery 2014 thread and I'm glad you're on this thread as well and know that you are not alone.  I was sorry to hear you needed chemo but we're all here to listen and support each other.  I've never heard of the port in the arm but then again I'm still learning new things about BC every day.  Sorry to hear your September surgery is being reschedule.  I was hoping to have my TE exchange done late October but I'll still be getting chemo so that won't happen.  Like you I'm trying to deal with one thing at a time.  

Lots of talk today about drinking plenty of water and hair.  I'm really really trying to drink more water and fluids buts it's so hard for me, and to make it harder nothing is quenching my thirst or tastes good.  I am drinking more than usual but I still don't think it's enough. Something else for me to keep working on.

I have long hair and my MO suggested I cut is short so I'm not as shocked when it starts falling out.  I have an appointment in two weeks to either shave my head or cut it short depending on what my hair will be doing then.  

Terri - my tongue is messed up too.  No mouth sores but sore and sensitive and feels like there's a filmy coat on my tongue.  I see my MO on Thursday but if it gets worse I'll call tomorrow.

Welcome newcomers to the group.  Hoping everyone find reliefs from recent SE and that whoever is starting chemo this week has smooth sailing with no (or at the the very least) very minimal SE. 

Hugs to all,

Cathy

• randomchance
    randomchance Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2014
    Options

My chemo was Thursday and Sunday was my worst day. The bone pain was intense. I went to work today, I slept through my lunch hour and then finished the day. I went to bed at 630 and now i am taking a reverse siesta.

• jetgal23
    jetgal23 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi all -

my first treatment is tomorrow and I'm hoping to sail through it.  

Terry and others - I thought I read from other chemo discussions to sip/ chew ice chips during chemo treatments.  Apparently it helps keep out the mouth sores etc if it is cold.  I may bring a bottle of ice water with chips in it...so glad to know about drinking lots of water.  In the past I ran marathons and did triathlons and know how important it is to hydrate so this won't be hard.  When running long distances, we would carry GU packs or some other brand (you get them at athletic stores) that have high calorie/ high carbs in a little packet of gel or goo - I always preferred the chocolate only.  Wondering if I should get some. Something to think about when you don't feel like eating anything...and you need something fast.

I'm getting my hair cut Monday...but its typically short.  I want to minimize the long strands falling out but not sure if I'd be up for shaving it if I need to.  Taking it one day at a time.  Again, thanks to all who are giving their reports.  Hang in there and know we are strong together!!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,996
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi August Gals!

Sorry we're a little late jumping in here, but we
    are just stopping in to provide some helpful links, starting with the
    main Breastcancer.org site's section on Chemotherapy, including what to expect, types of chemo meds, and side effect management.

There are some really helpful key threads here in the Chemo forum too!

Great tips and practical advice on the following discussion board threads:

Also, Last Month's Chemo thread might be informative!

Hope you find this helpful!

--Your Mods

• SandyLovesLucy
    SandyLovesLucy Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi everyone,  Welcome to the newcomers,, this is a wonderful group!  To all whose treatment is underway, I hope SE are manageable and that you are feeling well today.

Thanks, Mods.  The information provided here has made everything so much easier to deal with!

8/11 - Had port placement on Monday and all went well.  I got the okay to start chemo before my cardio visit, so off I went for my first Taxol/Herception infusion.  It was a long day, arrived at the hospital at 5:45 am and left at 4:30 pm, but I was SO glad to get things going!  Met the PA who will be working with the MO handling my case and I just loved her!  My chemo nurse and all the nursing staff made things go very smoothly. So far the only issue is the post-surgical headache I have gotten each time. I do feel a lot of steroid-induced energy today so I went for a walk and have gotten some work done.  But I do plan to send myself in for a nap after lunch.  I just booked an appointment for a wig consultation for this Thursday.  Also, received my order of Buffs headcoverings that several people on discussions boards have recommended. They are very comfortable!

Hugs to all,

Sandy

• Bippy625
    Bippy625 Member Posts: 602
    edited August 2014
    Options

justamy, how are you?  My port was not a pleasant experience, but cannot be avoided, with my chemo. Best wishes girl! Take the pain meds is my hint. I did not and regretted it!

• KiLin
    KiLin Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2014
    Options

I'm on the July chemo team, but thought I'd check in here as well!  Just to add another perspective to the port/IV discussion - I had chemo several years ago (AC) using an IV, and everything went just fine.  Of course, I have always had good veins - they are prominent and no nurse has ever had trouble finding one, so that made things easier.

This time around, I have a port (not my choice - just the way they do it at this oncology office).  I much preferred the IV!  The port is probably my least favorite thing about this whole process (including the bilateral mastectomy, oddly enough), but I just keep reminding myself it's temporary.

So it all depends on the person.  I just thought I'd mention it for people who are not expecting to get ports - it might be just fine, like it was for me!

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Options

i got my port placed today. Surgery was amazingly easy. The pain is pretty bad now but its my fault because I only took ib so I wouldn't be loopy from the real stuff when I went to the mall to shop. I ended up getting some good smelling hand sanitizer at Bath and Body( 5 different travel size ones) for my chemo bag, a new pair of shoes, some hello kitty travel Kleenex( also for my travel bag) and 4 scarves for head coverings (Charlotte Russe had them for $5 each). Plus my niece brought me a cute wig that she bought but never wore to the hospital. Anyway, I had fun but I'm definitely getting the real pain meds in me w I get home!

• Catie57
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies, Day 5 and feeling stronger. Day 3 was not good, day 4 better. I actually worked until 1:00 today and was hungry, so ate oatmeal this morning and tuna w crackers at lunch. My stomach didn't like the mayo too much. Just took Imodium but glad to have a little appetite back. Had to lay down when got home for an hour. I think preparing food at home is the way to go. I had two patients cough on me today, since I work in a Drs office. Now my throat is sensitive, but it may just be in my head. Used biotene to gargle with. Woke up in middle of night after being sensitive to smells for two days and drank my boost over ice. Just a little, but definitely was a good idea. Taking Tylenol here and there, but aches are minimal right now. Does anyone's scalp tingle? I am picking up wig I ordered on Friday. No hair loss to speak of, but getting ready. I cut my hair shorter a couple of weeks ago but growing back so fast. Think I'm going to start w a short buzz and see how wig fits over that. Definitely going to see my grey for first time in years. My mother was pure white headed, will be interesting to see. I have appt next Monday w MO and have a list of questions. If I can avoid any of the symptoms with drugs after first treatment experience, I will be taking them. I am hoping we all get thru this with as little SE as we have to. I was reading July chemo pts remarks and sometimes too much info is not good. Everyone's case is a little different and not everyone is on same treatment plan. Be sure to take that into consideration when reading them. Hope you are all feeling well.

• Kellya
    Kellya Member Posts: 159
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi everyone! Had my chemo teaching today, very interesting. I was told during the chemo I will make sure to have ice cubes in my mouth or to bring a favorite drink iced cold so I can drink it, holding the cold liquid in there. She also said if I wanted I could bring a pint of Ben and Jerry's and eat it then. I was given three prescriptions of pills to take as needed for nausea, one of which helps you sleep so that is at night. I will take Claritin in morning before nuelasta shot, I'm going to give that to myself. I will use a numbing cream on the area a half hour before so I won't feel it. It's the same cream I will put on the port area a half hour before my appointment. I'm feeling more at ease about things. She did say to drink a LOT, especially day of chemo to flush it through. Your pee should be clear to light yellow.

Went and looked at the wig I chose again. I have a prescription for that as well. I've decided to leave my hair length until I feel the tingling on my head or "below" as this is a clue you are about to lose the hair. I will then shave it to about an inch. I'm sure I will write more later.

• Terri1975
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello All, 

Miracle mouth rinse is horrible, but helped. My symptoms got worse, throat got worse, so my doc called in Diflucan. Unfortunately, I've developed a rash under both breasts, which I've read can happen. Ug! Otherwise, I feel great. Just tired. I see my MO tomorrow for blood work, hope you are all well. 

• didi123
    didi123 Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2014
    Options

Kellya 

I'm going for my chemo class on Thursday.  Thanks for the post.  It helps to know what's going on.  How long did the teaching last? 

• Kellya
    edited August 2014
    Options

didi, it was about an hour.  She called prescriptions in, gave me the prescription for the wig, asked if I wanted to participate in a clinical study.  Thought about it but decided not to.  The nurse practitioner was great.  Very informative, talking about each of the drugs I will get and the time line for them.  Talked about the side effects, how they will be managed.  Glad they have this!

• Kellya
    edited August 2014
    Options

Teri, boy a rash and mouth sores.  Hoping to avoid both.  I have magic mouthwash from when I get thrush from antibiotics.  Hope it at least numbs the pain for you

• thinkpink4ever
    edited August 2014
    Options

Kellya, my chemo teaching is tomorrow, and I'm ready to take it all in and get this show on the road next week.  Looks like you're armed with the necessary info and ready to go as well!

Catie, I will have the same cocktail as you.  Glad you're feeling stronger today!  And yes, avoiding the SEs is at the top of my list as well...

justamy, you start chemo the day after me, but you're way ahead of me in terms of preparation.  You have inspired me to get busy!  Lol!  My port placement is on Monday morning, and they're supposed to be putting it in my arm.  I still haven't read any posts where anyone had their port placed in their arm.  Am I going to be an experiment or what??

KiLin, thanks for popping in.  I've also been visiting the July chemo thread - there's also tons of great info and insight there as well.  Thanks for the port info.  This is also my second DX, but I didn't have chemo the first time.  How did you end up getting chemo?  What it your oncotype score?  I will also be a TC girl, hoping for few SEs.

jetgal, hope all goes well for you tomorrow.  I pray that you sail through it too, my friend.

Sandy, glad your port placement went well.  And lucky you to get that first infusion out of the way!  I hope the next few days are pretty smooth for you.  Let us know how you're doing.

randomchance, hope you're feeling better!  My chemo will also be on Thursdays so I will be on alert on Sunday to see if any SEs show up then.  Aside from church, I could just stay home all day if necessary.  

Wizard, let's make that one of our mottos.  "Taking it one day at a time"  So glad we all have each other - that's a wonderful thing!!!

Mods, great info!  Thanks for your support!

One love,

tp4ever

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thinkpink: The info packet that came with my port said that it to usually put in the chest, arm or back but can be placed anywhere....so others have indeed had theirs in their arms (i would be wondering too).Not sure why they choose one over the other... Prob just doctor preference. It wasn't bad for me today. Hopefully it will be as easy for you Monday!

• wizard50
    wizard50 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014
    Options

thinkpink - I'm in!  Our motto is "taking it one day at a time".  

I had to remind myself earlier today to "take it one day at at time".  I was showering and trying to get ready to meet my boyfriend for lunch and next thing I knew I was completely and utterly exhausted.  I  called him and cancelled and I was so frustrated.  I started thinking that a week ago (pre-chemo) I was feeling great!  Less than a week later I'm exhausted and have little desire to even leave the house!  This is not like me but I had to remind myself that this is temporary and each day is one step closer to beating the crap out of cancer.  

Ocean breeze & jetgal - good luck tomorrow.  You'll do great! 

• StrongEnough13
    StrongEnough13 Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2014
    Options

One down, 3 to go! Finished about 5:00, went to walgreens to pick up some of the necessities on the list (almonds, Pepcid, lemon drops, ginger ale, new toothbrush & thermometer, etc). I was really nervous all day, couldn't eat anything & got crabby, but tossed some pretzels in my bag on the way out the door & ate a few in the waiting room. Drank a lot of water and coffee all morning, and there was food in the treatment room from a last treatment celebration that I just missed (dang!), so had a couple carrot sticks & some melon & pasta salad. No probs with the vein, the nurse is fantastic, stuck it in one try! I'm a little loopy from the benedryl, and apparently a little wired from the steroid, but we stopped at sonic for dinner and now home watching a funny movie and updating all my loved ones via phone, text, FB, & here!  I'll start my anti-nausea and oral steroid at bed time. Hoping for a good, productive day tomorrow, and planning on a lunch-time walk with my hubby, then the Neulasta shot at 5 tomorrow. For someone who's just been pumped full of poison, I feel pretty damn good!

• jess1965
    jess1965 Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2014
    Options

wow, strong...that's fantastic! Hope you continue to feel ok without SEs. Good luck to ocean breeze and jet gal. Thinking of you tomorrow!  Pretty anxious about Thursday ...but you ladies are all inspiring me!

• mullerin
    mullerin Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2014
    Options

Got through my first chemo on Monday. From the educational review til the last drip, I was there for 7 hours! I had a hospital bed, attentive nurses, and even had lunch served. I started with Herceptin, 90 minutes to avoid possible reactions, and there were none. No reactions to the carboplatin or the taxitere, though when I got up to go to the bathroom I soaked myself first. Next time a thicker pad -- or even depends! To my surprise, I am to take the dexamethasone for four days each treatment -- I had originally understood that I would take it for one day before only. It certainly boosts my energy but I was concerned about getting sleep, so I stopped at a marijuana dispensarty and picked up some C. indica pills that were recommended for insomnia and tried one last night. I slept soundly. (I live in Washington state, got a Rx from my oncologist, and although the medical strains all have trippy names, they can help with many of the possible side effects). I understand there are plenty of ups and downs ahead, but I am grateful my first experience went so smoothly. When I got home I found a box on the porch -- a friend from years ago made me a "chemo quilt," packed in a bag with candies and a mandala coloring book! I will be glad to have it on the next five visits. A local friend kept me company through the whole long appointment. Although I am single, I am very fortunate to have so many caring people I can count on. I wish all of you going through this now the very best of luck, and am happy to have your accounts of your experiences.

• DonnaNJ
    DonnaNJ Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello all,

It's late here, almost 1:30 AM. Today was my roughest day so far. It's Day five, and I was up all last night worrying about "Day 5" side effects and feeling lousy that I think I stressed myself into a bad day. I was exhausted, had a quesy stomach (took my first anti-nausea meds) and left work by eleven. I slept most of the afternoon and haven't been out of bed for more than 5-10 min. at a time. I felt like I wanted to crawl out of my own skin. Very restless and just a general feeling like I was hit by a truck. Of course, I'm now wide awake and having trouble sleeping! Tomorrow, or should I say today, is my 49th birthday. It is my goal to work all day and feel good enough to have cake for dinner! My best to Ocean Breeze and Jet Gal, who will be starting today and Strong...fingers crossed for few SE's! Wishing you all a restful night! Donna

• Catie57
    edited August 2014
    Options

DonnaNJ

Sorry you are having a bad day, hope you feel stronger tmrw. Happy Birthday!  I read from a few that they continued oral steroids after chemo, another question I need to ask the Dr. Does that just prolong  SEs or does that help u thru them? Try to eat as healthy as possibly during this time, your body will thank you. Hope you were able to get some sleep.

Mullerin

I was told by several people that the medical marijuana helps thru SEs. I am going to ask my Dr, although I know he is reluctant to write a script from last conversation. 

• oceanbreeze1818
    oceanbreeze1818 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2014
    Options

Heading in soon for my first treatment..anxious and happy at same time to finally get this started!  Will let you all know how it goes.  Hopefully uneventful!  Today will be my longest time they said...about 6 hours.  Looks like I'm moving in between my pillow blanket iPad and cooler with snacks and lots of water!  Going to ask for a script to help me sleep at night.  Hate to not be able to sleep and not have anything.  My Walmart and Walgreen's had no Tylenol pm :-(  

Jetgal - thinking of you as you go to your first treatment today!  Also thinking and sending positives vibes to all you ladies as well :-)