Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo August 2014

Options

Comments

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2014
    Options

donnaNJ

Steroids kept me up a good part of evening too. I just finished my first treatment. Uneventful, thank goodness. Found a vein on first try. Gave me all the premeds thru IV, more steroids, anti nausea and Benadryl. The Benadryl makes your head a little foggy. Tolerated the Taxoteer no problem, and cyloxan. Did a Lot of saline flushing in between. There about 3 hrs. Have to go in tmrw for a shot in arm to build up white cell count, precautionary. Probably will notice side effects, if any after drugs wear off. One down, 5 to go.

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited August 2014
    Options

I did hear back from the nurses (finally!) and my first chemo is scheduled for August 21st. They said I could meet with the NP (nurse) before my first infusion instead of my MO, and then I wouldn't have to go in an extra day. However, due to the babies, I want to meet with the MO and not the NP. Chemo class is on the 18th and they do it one on one. 

• oceanbreeze1818
    oceanbreeze1818 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2014
    Options

DonnaNJ - good to hear things are going good so far!  Fingers crossed and postive vibes your way! 

Also sending postive vibes to Bippy and Catie and hope you both are doing well.  For the other ladies that had treament this week already - hoping your SE's are minimal! 

Meet with my NP today for chemo class...got all the meds I will be administered written down and the Elma cream on order at the pharmacy.  Ready to get this show on the road next Wednesday! 

Hugs to all!

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited August 2014
    Options

Mullerin ,
    Tabbygirl52 and Starlover:
    I
    have added you to our list. Let me know if I have missed anyone.

Ocean breeze: Glad you are geared up for your first
    infusion. I made sure I had all meds and my goody back ready for the treatment
    and after. I am with you every ache and
    pain I have hyper anxiety over.
    Especially since my lymph nodes are already involved. I had a very rare presentation of BC, where
    there was no primary tumor but it was in the lymph-nodes, only found because my
    lymph nodes were mildly enlarged. I do
    stay away from Dr. Google as my anxiety tends to increase and the articles are
    not up-to-date on most current treatments, changes, etc. I keep
    to this site, cancer.org and other specific reputable sites.

Gatomal: We are all here for you during this challenging time. I am
    glad you were able to get your date and they finally called back!

Random and DonnNJ: I used the chemo time to relax (that is
    after my experience with getting the IV started).

Jaycee49:
    Wow! Thanks again for the through
    description.

Sandy: You are right the
    waiting game was / is the hardest. I am just so glad my treatment plan is under
    way. I also had to wait for my MUGA
    before starting. Hoping you get your appointment
    scheduled earlier.

Tabbygirl: We
    are making spaghetti tonight as I just woke up craving it this morning. Welcome to this wonderful group of women who
    have just jumped in to support and encourage each other! Also seems like we share the same name but I go
    by Angie J.

DonnaNJ: Wow a busy day before Chemo! You go girl J. I went to Disneyland a little over a week
    before my chemo started. I needed the getaway.
    I was spoiled rotten and loved it. I am thinking of you as you go through your
    first infusion and hoping it is uneventful.

JustAmy: I suffer from panic attacks at times and just
    have learned to breath, count, go to a quiet place or let those around me know
    that I need to get back in control. I
    had to tell the nurse during chemo I was getting anxious and she sat beside me
    until I settled down.

Terri1975: Good to hear from you and that you are doing well. I went to work the day after treatment and
    today I have learned that I begin to crash around 4:00pm and by 5:00. Need to schedule a nap in about mid-day and
    my job is cool with it J.

Catie57: Glad they found your vein the first try, took
    them 3 for me. The funny thing is the
    nurse counted out 5 veins to choose from before she got started. I also had a lot of saline flushing in
    between and a lot of bathroom trips.

My update: Day 2 and Day 3
    are going well with minimal SEs as of now. I am consistent about staying well hydrated
    and taking pain meds, which I believe has helped quite a bit. I am just not 100% me if you know what I mean
    but managing to work and get through the day.
    I still have a slight headache if you want to call it that. My head is just tingling and my vision is a
    little blurry. Have any of you read or
    heard of blurry vision with AC? I have consistently
    crashed around 4:00pm so I will have to get in a mid-day nap. No constipation
    either, but I take Milk of Magnesia and
    it has worked great for me. Not sure who else is on the ACT treatment
    plan. I have to say I was not into meds before being DX so it is a mental thing
    with me and all these meds.

Elizabeth, Jacyee,
    Wizard, Random, Starlover, Donna, Bippy and Catie: Hugs
    to all and hoping Minimal SEs.

-Angie

• randomchance
    randomchance Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2014
    Options

My suggestion for anyone else being bothered by the seatbelt across the port -- doctor told me to pad the port. Instead, pad the belt above and below the port so the belt doesn't touch it.

And Donna, day 2 after treatment isn't so bad either. We will all get through this and be better for it.

It's was great having you all last night when I couldn't sleep.

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Options

My date changed AGAIN and hopefully for the last time...I now have first infusion on 8/21. I live an hour away from the hospital and they wanted to get chemo education on the same day so id have 1 less trip. So 8/21 for me.

• ladyb1234
    edited August 2014
    Options

Updated your date Justamy.

• SLB11
    SLB11 Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi all,

I just had my 1st taxotere/ herceptin/perjeta on Wednesday. ( 4th herceptin/perjeta)  I had a recurrence in March. I finished up 33 rads at the end of July. Today, I'm feeling ok I have taken Zofran 2 times and had mild diarrhea. I'm wondering if I am going to have worse symptoms tomorrow or if it will continue to improve?

• DonnaNJ
    DonnaNJ Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good early evening everyone! It was a long day, but I am done!!! I feel fabulous! A little tired from last night's lack of sleep, but I am headed into bed now. I don't see my Oncologist on chemo day, a nurse practitioner instead. They didn't want to give me a sleeping pill. She told me to take Benadryl instead. Benadryl doesn't usually make me sleepy, so I asked her if I could take Tylenol PM instead, she said I could. I have a port and probably the worst part was the needle in and out. I did put numbing cream on ahead of time, but only by about 15 minutes, definitely not enough time. The nurse also put a numbing cream on, still a little pinch. the coming out was worse, but really didn't feel any of the infusion going in or any issues with it all day. The time flew by, I had a wonderful friend join me. The last two hours I was alone and that rested, but a little smidge boring! I think I would prefer the down time for the first few hours, especially during the Benadryl drip! I am very thirsty! I am finishing my sixth bottle of water. Hope the bathroom trips won't keep me up tonight!! I would have to say, that is my only SE so far! Hoping for the best and the best for all of you! Have a wonderful evening! Hugs to all!

• Tabbygirl521
    Tabbygirl521 Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2014
    Options

I made a mistake on my start date above. I start Friday, August 15. I have the 18th on my mind because it's my 25th wedding anniversary:)

• ladyb1234
    edited August 2014
    Options

Tabbygirl I have updated your date.

• ladyb1234
    edited August 2014
    Options

Checking in on all of you. How you are you doing Day1 - 4?  Praying that SEs are minimal to none. My SEs are minimal at this point.  Except for the unexpected blurry vision - which I found that quite a few have and mild headache.  Hugs to All.

• Catie57
    edited August 2014
    Options

So glad to hear that most are getting thru first few days of treatment with minimal side effects. After a sleepless night prior to treatment day and Benadryl drip, I came home and crashed for a few hours. That has been the only SE for me so far. Very grateful!

• Terri1975
    Terri1975 Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good morning! Day three is better than day two. Yesterday I was able to work, but I was in a fog. I took a good nap from 2-4 then woke up starving. Does anyone else receive a Nuelesta injection the day after chemo? I did on Thursday and it's given me quite a headache. I'm still taking my zofran every six hours just to be safe, but I don't take it at during the middle of the night. So far, doing well. Hoping the rest of you are too. 

• SandyLovesLucy
    SandyLovesLucy Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2014
    Options

Elizabeth100, I haven't seen any new posts from you .  Have you started chemo and how are you doing? Sending good thoughts your way.

To all of you "pioneers" who have already started I hope you have a good weekend with minimal SE.

• wizard50
    wizard50 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good morning all, 

Still feeling pretty good 2 days post first chemo.  Have been a bit shaky off and on since yesterday but it's  not enough to slow me down.  I've had back achiness which could be related to the back spasms I had when getting Taxorere. So far no major complaints.

Terri - my boyfriend gave me my Neulasta shot yesterday (24 hours after chemo). The shot was delivered to me by a pharmacy last week. I've been taking my Claritin as instructed and no pain or SE yet.  I've heard that Zofran can give you headaches too.  Maybe you should ask your MO for a different anti-nausea drug. 

Wishing everyone a wonderful SE free weekend.  Hugs to all!

• Bippy625
    Bippy625 Member Posts: 602
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi ladies, seems like all are doing pretty well. Me too, had first chemo yesterday, 4 different ones!  I slept like a baby, and get the neuplasta shot in the am. Going to try claritin as directed by onco. Feel tired and sore from port still, but got a cute short haircut today and a wig and a beanie. Feel like i climbed everest! Hope you all are doing good, my start date was 8/8. Only 5 more to go...my tumors are pissed, they are getting shooting pains here are there....weird!  Now i am home in pjs chillin, eating small meals, drinkin water, taking care to be grateful for all i have. It is so much easier somehow mentally to begin!  Diagnosis waiting sucked.  

• jess1965
    jess1965 Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2014
    Options

for all of you who have gone before us, you are inspiring me! So glad to hear that you are managing the SE and managing everything. Just went shopping for the list of pre-chemo items recommended on this site. Keep us posted. Sending hugs and good wishes to you all!

• Catie57
    edited August 2014
    Options

Day 2 woke up feeling too good. Scary! The steroids must be still in my system or something. Had energy to go for a walk, food shop and get my next day shot in arm. They made me sit in waiting room for 15 minutes to make sure no SE. They are very good at MKMG with the care. I am actually winding down now and taking it easy. Don't want to over do either. I can only hope for the next treatments to go as well. Not likely! I wish you all a relaxing and no SE evening.

• Bippy625
    edited August 2014
    Options

i forgot to ask...my nurses say that my chemo will be alot quicker from now on, as they dont have to wait an hour between to observe next time. It took all day 1st time. Has this been your experience too?  I get the four infusions... I think they should update now, i figured out how to add them to my profile so they will show hopefully.

• Terri1975
    edited August 2014
    Options

I had the Nulesta shot on Thursday, bone pain is really bad. My nurses said no Advil/Motrin due to the platelets could be affected. What's everyone's experience with the bone pain? Mine is pretty painful. Taking tramadol to help it. Thanks in advance! Also taking Claritin. Tylenol just doesn't work for me. 

• DonnaNJ
    DonnaNJ Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Terri,

I'm sorry you are not feeling well. Where is you pain? I'm going for my shot at nine tomorrow morning. Going to take Claritan before. Advil is my favorite and works the best, but I was told Tylenol or non-aspirin products only. The chemo thins your blood as do aspirin, so no aspirin. My nurse said the Claritan is an antihistamine which helps the bone pain, so is Benadryl...maybe give that a try. Sending best wishes that you feel better soon! Hugs, Donna 

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited August 2014
    Options

I was getting horrible zofran migranes when I was taking it for morning sickness. I then started taking quarter pills every two hours or so to work up to the full dose. A few days later, I could nibble off a half every three hours without a headache. If I took too much too fast, a headache started. So I am going to try the smaller dose method for chemo too. Hopefully this may work for some of you who are headache/migrane prone. 

• Terri1975
    edited August 2014
    Options

My pain is mainly in my legs and knees. It's better today, but still sore. Nothing too unmanageable, just a bummer. 

• jetgal23
    jetgal23 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2014
    Options

So glad to read news here of first chemo treatments as I just found out the other day I'll have chemo starting Wednesday August 13.  Took nearly 2 months to find out if chemo would be of benefit (slow oncotype and Mammaprint test results) so here I am.  I'll have it 4x (CT or is it TC?) with a neulasta shot on Friday.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see how I feel but its good to read your reports, and know that I'm right there with all of you!!

• Catie57
    edited August 2014
    Options

I thought I made it thru first treatment without much SE, but started going downhill last night. Slept away most of today, just took Claritin for aches. Not much of an appetite either. Starting to feel a little better this evening. 

• ladyb1234
    edited August 2014
    Options

Welcome to a wonderful group of women Jetgal23. I have added you to our list.  There are a few on this thread that receive the neulasta shot that can provide some input. 

I am happy that most of us are doing pretty well with SEs. 

Day 4 very tired but did get out and about.  Had a great day out with my daughters and mom, we bought 2 wigs yesterday and they almost match my day-to-da hairstyle.  I have to get use to the helmet feeling..LoL.  Still looking for some nice cool scarves.

Day 5 has been rough  and I seem to be going downhill - with fatigue and I woke up very nauseated around 6:00am this morning.   Immediately took my Zofran and ate some cream of wheat which has been my go to meal in the morning with an egg.  I hope to get a good walk in today. I slept most of the morning and want to ensure I get a good night sleep tonight and ready my self for work.  I don't have much of an appetite either and food is  not tasting good. I have read day 4-6 good be pretty rough.  Any one else?

How many are continuing to work through chemo?  I am thinking about asking to reduce time to 32 hours a week.  My job is very very flexible but I think that might be the best instead of taking sick leave, FMLA or vacation for time off.  Any thoughts. 

• Terri1975
    edited August 2014
    Options

I had chemo on Wednesday, pretty tired today. Still having some bone pain in my  legs, knees and lower back. No nausea. I haven't taken a zofran since 12:00pm yesterday. I worked Thursday and Friday. I'm going to work tomorrow too. I feel like my head is already itching, like the follicles are feeling weird. I'm getting my hair cut Friday. I went school clothes shopping and to lunch today, just sleepy. I hope you all do well with your treatments! 

• Bippy625
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi Ladyb. Yeah, i am concerned about the delayed reaction in myself...it is day 2 today, still doing well. Got my neublasta shot at 10am, took claritin at 3 pm, minor aches so far.  Food is still tasting good to me, though i am eating less and more healthy stuff.  I hope to resume walking tonight as i am a bit constipated. my port hurt so had to resort to the pain meds. That sucks but better than the alternatives!  Hope we all continue to be well. My next round is 8/29, yipppee!  Right after my birthday. I am having real cake before, sugar be damned!

• Bippy625
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi jess1965,  one tip a pharmacy student at the hospital gave me was to take my anti nauseau meds BEFORE any started. I am not sure what i had, but they taste like lemon and melt under the tongue 2x a day. Otherwise, i may have had issues. It was not as scary as i thought it would be, but bring a friend or family if you can. And kindle or ipad, something to occupy the time. I am sure you already know all this stuff.....Let us know how it goes first time, hugs!