Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo August 2014

Options

Comments

• jess1965
    jess1965 Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2014
    Options

thanks Bippy625, I'll make sure to get a head start on those meds. Those of you recovering from round 1, be kind to yourselves! Don't try to do more than you have to. We are in this for the long haul! One thing this whole situation is helping me learn it when to ask for help (I am more comfortable in the caregiver role!). 

I go in tomorrow morning for my port. Have just come down with a little cold. Hope that it doesn't push back my chemo start on Thursday. Ready to get this show on the road!

Big hugs to all of you!

• SDSteph06
    SDSteph06 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi,

I start my TC chemo Aug. 11.....tomorrow :( 

• wizard50
    wizard50 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014
    Options

Yesterday afternoon I started to feel tired. Came home after running errands and rested.  Did not sleep well last night due to TE's and still having to sleep on my back. I'm having a whiny moment here - I just want to curl up and sleep on my side for one night!  I know it would help the back aches I've had for over a month!  Woke up this morning with some nausea, took a Zofran which helped, and again tired and fatigued.  I've had mild bone and joint pain which is tolerable.  I find the fatigue comes on out of the blue.  One minute I'm feeling ok and the next minute I'm wiped out.  I'm not a napper but did finally nap this afternoon for about an hour and feel better than I have all day.  Hoping the good feeling lasts. 

Thinking of all you lovely ladies and hoping everyone is feeling good. Hugs to all :)

• wizard50
    wizard50 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014
    Options

Welcome SDSteph and good luck tomorrow!

• DonnaNJ
    DonnaNJ Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good evening August friends,

Not a bad day at all! I had my Neulasta shot at nine. Was back in my car at 9:02! Took a Claritan before I left the house. I did feel shaky again today and tired, but I lost almost three hours to insomnia last night. I watched a lot of tv today, but did sit outside with my family and sister's family for awhile. My sister lives across the street, very convenient and helpful! No steroids today, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good day tomorrow. I have to get up at six, back to work! I do plan to work through the whole twenty weeks of chemo (six treatments). I have not yet had any bone pain, no need for nausea meds or constipation or diarrhea meds. I did buy Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste and Gin Gins. All came today from Amazon. I tasted a Gin Gin...disgusting! Very strong taste. Will chew on them if nausea sets in! I am headed to bed now, definitely taking some Tylenol PM...no insomnia tonight! Hoping you all get a good night sleep! No SE's!!!!! Donna

• oceanbreeze1818
    oceanbreeze1818 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2014
    Options

ladyb1234 - even though my management team has been completely supportive of my situation and they don't even blink an eye when I say I have to leave for a doc appointment I'm still taking full advantage of applying for the acute treatment plan my work offers.  If approved (just got signed papers back from MO) I will reduce my hours down to 32-24 hours per week.  On the up week I hope to put in my regular time but want to be covered for those others times I may not feel up to it.  

• jetgal23
    jetgal23 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2014
    Options

Before I start on Wednesday, I have a few questions for some of you.

I will take nausea meds day before, day of and day after chemo - I assume that's normal for everyone? I've been told its a steroid and reading what others have said, it can make you wired (hard to sleep?) Its called dexamethasone.

I was given prescriptions also for prochiorperazine (also called Compro) for nausea, as well as Ativan for nausea and anxiety.  These are to be taken as needed and I generally don't take meds, so we'll see how it goes.  My brother says to take the Ativan if I need to relax or can't sleep.  I found out that we do have some claritin on hand if I need it after the first neulasta shot on friday.  

I'm going to ask a friend to cut my hair short (I normally keep my hair short anyway, but now I really need to get it cut) and will look into scarves.  I work from home mostly so I don't want a wig.  I've heard to get a nice color scarf and one that is soft.  Plus maybe a soft cap to wear at night? 

DonnaNJ - what are Gin Gins? I'm thinking of getting Biotene, since I typically use listerine and I hear that's too harsh.  ALso thinking of stocking up on oatmeal, soup and yogurt.  

OK, this is the list that is going through my head after reading up on the tips that so many have provided about starting chemo.  I am an artist (make pottery in my basement) and I need to keep up some strength to get some work done otherwise I won't have any income.  I sell online, but also at an artisan market and craft shows and I'm expecting that my next market day will likely be cancelled due to all of this (same week as chemo).  So my biggest fear is just keeping up my energy so I can still do some work.  I love reading your tips so keep it up!  And healing thoughts to all of you going through this right now!!

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2014
    Options

jetgal23

Wouldn't hurt to have boost either plain or vanilla flavored at hand also.

• oceanbreeze1818
    oceanbreeze1818 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2014
    Options

jetgal23 - I start Wednesday as well.  I think the nausea meds are normal from what I have read.  However, for me, I am only getting the nausea meds on Wednesday.  I did get a script for Compro like you (or maybe it is compizene..I cannot remember just know I got it filled and its a home on my bathroom counter) as well as the Elma cream for my port.  My MO stated as we go along we will fix/adjust/add meds but she wants to see how I do for now.  I am not even getting a Nuelesta shot for now...all comes down to my blood work for next round. 

I am also investing in the boitene and getting few things together today and tomorrow before Wednesday.  If you have a Boscov's around you check them out for scarves.  They had a ton yesterday when I went (on a recommendation of a friend) and they were all marked down to 5$.  I bought 6 of them and even let my daughters pick out a few.  I played arund with trying them on last night and got a few ideas.  I do have a wig (primarly for me for now and for my youngest daughter who is having some difficulty with mommy losing her hair - keep in mind my hair is long) and I am thinking of getting a second one (chearper) to wear to the gym.  Around the house I just plan on wearing scarves and I hope to get up enough courage to wear them out and about. 

Thanks for asking the questions you did...I have been wondering the same myself! 

Hugs to all!

• jetgal23
    jetgal23 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2014
    Options

oh yeah, one more question - port vs. IV

I'm not having a port because I am only having 4 treatments.  They said if it was more than that, a port would be better.  But I do hear that sometimes veins can collapse or people have trouble with the IV after a few treatments.  Would love to hear from anyone with an IV if they've had success. Several years ago I had a regular blood test (can't remember if it was weekly or monthly) as I was taking coumadin after having a blood clot.  Did not have a problem then, but the injection didn't last 2-3 hours either.  

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2014
    Options

jetgal23 

I had an IV with first treatment, no problem. I am having same drug combo as you, only 6 treatments. I hope you have an uneventful treatment and hit vein first try also. 

• StrongEnough13
    StrongEnough13 Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi, everyone. I've been posting on the forum for TC chemo ladies, and several of them suggested I join this group as well.  I start chemo tomorrow afternoon, on pretty short notice; I only found out on Friday. I don't have a port yet, so this 1st round will be in the vein. I have been referred for a port, just don't have that scheduled yet. 

I've been reading through some of the posts here, but haven't made it all the way through yet (keep getting distracted by work! ;) ). I just wanted to go ahead & check in here & get active before tomorrow. 

I'm 48, newly married (just over a year), and have no kids. My husband is fantastically supportive and helpful, so I'm very lucky, but he was laid off from a job that required a LOT of travel about a month ago. That of course adds another level of stress... I am happy to have him around and not traveling, but we really need his income!  This has happened to him before (it's common in his industry) but we had savings that time. This time I have cancer. The timing could not be worse. Luckily, I had my own insurance through my work, and I am a teleworker, so I am hoping to be able to work through chemo. I am on intermittent FMLA, so my schedule will be as flexible as I need it to be, and my boss is very understanding and accommodating. 

I've started drinking extra water, got my pre-chemo haircut, have my meds packed up to take along tomorrow, and my husband will be joining me on this adventure to help me ask questions and keep me occupied. Any other last minute advice? I'm trying to read as much as I can to prepare myself, but there are only so many hours in the day...

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hey Lady's any suggestions on energy booster. I am have way through my work day and I am fading.   Help :-). 

Strongenough welcome to this wonderful supportive group. I have added you to our list.

• Kellya
    Kellya Member Posts: 159
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi, I'm 57 and I will join with you, my chemo is set to begin august 25th, looking like 4 weeks of Adriamycin and Cytoxan every other week and then Taxol for 12 weeks, at least that is how I understand it, I will be told tomorrow for sure at my chemo teaching.  Then I will have 6 weeks of radiation.

I have read through all these posts, very helpful to see what you are all going through, helps ease all the uncertainty.  Not sure what all the abbreviations mean yet and I will do the status thing that's at the bottom of your post after tomorrow when I do my chemo teaching and know what's happening for sure with the chemo. 

I was diagnosed May 14  with IDC, triple negative.  I've had the core biopsy, MRI, got my surgeon in July and had the radioactive breast injections, blue dye and lumpectomy 2 1/2 weeks ago and the sentinal node biopsy, which had three nodes removed and were all negative.  They found a second tumor while removing the first one, ugh.  But at least those are both out, still sore to raise my arm.  I had the genetic testing and the BRCA 1 & 2 were negative, I get the other 19 panel results back Wednesday.  I met with the chemo onc last week, had my echocardiogram and this week meet with the radiation onc and I do my chemo teaching tomorrow.  The 22nd I get my Mediport placed.  My husband and I are going to Florida the 15th-20th to treat ourself before the chemo starts.  Seems like it took forever to get it rolling, now it seems like it all is happening so fast.  Ugh!  I know this group will be great for us all to see how we are doing and give us a good place to talk about it.

Hoping for all of you who've just started get some rest and have minimal side effects.  Those of you working during this, take care.  Wish I knew something to give you energy.

• jess1965
    jess1965 Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2015
    Options

just had port procedure and so far so good. Not much pain at all. Another thing checked off the list! Hugs to all! Welcome to Kellya and StrongEnough. This is a great group of people and you'll find great information. It helps knowing that you're not going through this alone! Take care!

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited August 2014
    Options

Sorry to be AWOL. I was fine on Wed. and Thurs. after starting on Tues. but crashed pretty big on Fri.-Sun. Huge GI pain and D. My onc was out of town and I got to talk to his partner who was wonderful. He gave me his real cell number. I talked to him 3 times Sat. PM and 10 AM on Sun. He sent me to the hospital for fluid infusion. That helped but the GI issues persisted until this AM. We brainstormed on the doctor's cell and tried different meds I had, including a Vicodin leftover from surgery. I see my onc for second H tomorrow and will discuss how to prevent this in the future. I probably didn't drink enough around the chemo. Don't forget to drink, drink, drink. They are not sure which drug caused all this. I think it is the T but the doctor said probably the C. I just started eating today for the first time in 48 hours. I am very weak and spacy and my vision is wonky. I hope I don't scare you guys. Remember, I have other serious health issues that are helping this along. No nausea, though.  

• khillman9
    khillman9 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2014
    Options

I am having IV chemo.  4 sessions so MO didn't feel I needed a port.

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited August 2014
    Options

August friends who have had chemo so far...I had a question about meeting with the nurses or doctor before your infusion, like the day of, or the day before. Did you do it? What happened during the meeting? This is not the infusion nurse, nor chemo class, but someone that met with you, presumably to review drugs, dosages, etc? The med ctr was trying to set up an appt with me, but since I am pregnant, I wanted to see the MO, and not the nurse, but I'm not really sure what even happens at the appt, so wanted a heads up. Maybe it doesn't make a difference?

I just want to start already, this waiting is difficult. I took a bit of zofran for my morning sick ess(still comes and goes) and have a bad headache like I get with it. Should've taken a little less to start.

Thanks all...hugs.

• Terri1975
    Terri1975 Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2014
    Options

I'm fading too. Hit me about 3:00. I get off at 5:00! Hang in there girl. 

• Hope50
    Hope50 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2014
    Options

I just found out I start chemo this Thursday!! Yikes!!

• didi123
    didi123 Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi All,

I have an appointment with my onco Friday, I'll find out when I start chemo at that time, most likely next week.  I wish all of you the very best and no chemo side effects!   I have long hair and I'm thinking of getting it chopped off.  Does it help to have short hair?? 

• Terri1975
    Terri1975 Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2014
    Options

I have a suggestion to those who haven't started chemo yet, or to do on your next treatment. I drank a ton of water! I took 5 bottles with me and drank all of them during treatment. (I wasn't sure if they would have water.) I also drank 4 large glasses of water during treatment. I really think this helped flush out the drugs. My friend is also my chemo nurse, she said the quicker you flush it out, the better. I never had any nausea, not sure if this made a difference, but I will do it every time. Hope this helps! 

• khillman9
    khillman9 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi I start chemo on Thursday.  Obviously, new here.  It seems like it is all happening so fast.  I had bilateral mastectomy on 7/15.   Took out a 4+cm tumor.  Cleared margins.  Lymph nodes were clear.  So 8/14 start chemo, 4 sessions every three weeks of Cytoxan and Taxotere.  I am hoping to finish chemo in October and have reconstructive surgery around Thanksgiving.  I will turn 50 on the 17th of November so that would be a good gift.  

Hoping we all make it out the other side - better, stronger and with little wear and tear.

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Options

Didi: I had really long hair and got it chopped a few weeks ago into a pixie cut. I really like the look, but I mostly did it based on advice of those who've done this already. They say your hair hurts once chemo starts and it's hard to brush. I also just aestheticly could not stand the long strands falling out. That's just me. 

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Options

Oh I have port placement tomorrow after a traumatic MRI biopsy today. All prayers are appreciated.Bawling

• Kellya
    Kellya Member Posts: 159
    edited August 2014
    Options

feel better Jaycee49!!

Great tip Terri975, I am asking about this tomorrow!

• didi123
    didi123 Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks Amy.  I'm going to call and make an appointment with my hairdresser to get my hair cut short.  Good luck tomorrow.  You're in my prayers.  Please check in tomorrow if you have a chance.

• Bippy625
    Bippy625 Member Posts: 602
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi girls, day 3 hit me rough today. Awful itchy rash on chest, went to doc, it is a drug reaction.  Red red and benadryl barely does anything. Well, i went to a home remedy of frozen gel packs,  and soooooo much better now!   Also, body aches and already with the chemo brain, super bad. Worked, but i have to quit or go part time. My boss says he will do whatever i want....lay me off so i can get unemployment, Or go part time. There is no way i can work full time, no way. How do people do that?  Good news for me is pain meds are working, so bone pain fine now. I thought i had it made.....i am learning NOT to be cocky.

• DonnaNJ
    DonnaNJ Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello everyone,

I got up today at 6:30 and in my Tylenol PM state, showered and went to work. My DH drove me in, as I am so uncertain how and what my body is going to do. I was shaky in the AM and seem to be now. I put in a whole seven hours at work! My stomach was off so I just had chicken soup for lunch. I got through the day and hit the couch when I got home. My family served me dinner, my DH made a chocolate cupcake run for me, that's what I was craving! I had a few BM's at work....tomorrow I bring my own paper!! No nausea Meds needed yet, I took Claritan again, no bone pain. My lips feel swollen and dry. I only had half a bottle of water today...I think I will amp them up tomorrow. I am tired today, but I can't discount the fact that I worked! I hope you all are feeling great! I'm headed to bed early! Be well! 

• Kellogg2006
    Kellogg2006 Member Posts: 159
    edited August 2014
    Options

I had my appointment with my oncologist. It's all getting real.  My first treatment is  next Friday 8/22. 4 treatment adriamycin/cytoxan and then taxol. Not gonna lie, I'm scared, nervous, anxious but reading the stories of everyone who's already started is encouraging.