Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fat Grafting, pros and cons

Options

Comments

• Elizabethaw
    Elizabethaw Member Posts: 165
    Options

I hear that the thinner your upper body, the more likely you'll have ripples. However, my PS told me that only 30% of patients have revision surgeries after exchange. So don't worry about ripples if you haven't had your exchange yet! Odds are on your side that this will be your last surgery!

Do ask your PS why he/she wants to do FG. Mine says he often does a little grafting just to smooth the edges between your body and the implant. I would not assume that you'll have any problems after exchange!

Also remember to give yourself time after exchange for everything to settle down. So many of us end up disappointed and emotional after exchange, so expect an adjustment period and don't assume you'll feel that way forever.

Best wishes!

• summerangel
    summerangel Member Posts: 182
    Options

I do think 7 weeks post-op with no ripples is a good sign. I had no ripples post-exchange with fat grafting but my body has reabsorbed most of the fat from the left side and now I have quite a bit of rippling. I noticed rippling about 4-5 weeks post-op. (I do have a thin upper body.) I'm going to ask my PS to overfill on the left side for my next - and hopefully last - surgery!

• kfinnigan
    kfinnigan Member Posts: 490
    Options

I will have 2nd round of fat grafting done 12/16/15, this time the fat will come from my flanks (last time was inner thighs). What compression/shapewear can any of you recommend for the flanks? I had Nike compression shorts for last time, but those will not work and didn't work that well anyway. Thanks!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

kfinnigan - define flank for me - that could be a number of places, lol!  I did use a Spanx that was kind of like leiderhosen.  One piece with no bra cups that continued into shorts, like this:

http://www.spanx.com/bodysuits/skinny-britches-open-bust-mid-thigh-bodysuit-38-1909#1689=8849

elizabethaw - I think if ripples were going to show up they probably would have by now.  The six month thing is pretty conservative, but is also cited for how the donor area will look, a lot of people have continued swelling for a longer time there.

lharry - those are all good questions, and I second asking about the volume of fat that your PS anticipates removing from the donor area.  There is a pretty direct relationship between amount harvested and discomfort.  I would also ask about compression garments - how long you need to wear them, and what type.  Also, exercise and lifting restrictions.

imageimageimageimage

• kfinnigan
    Options

Thanks SpecialK! Well let's see, Dr. grabbed the pockets of fat between my waist and butt slightly behind my sides, is that my love handle? lol He said flank, and I had to google that because I agree with you!

• kfinnigan
    Options

SpecialK, what do you think of this?

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/miraclesuit-sheer-extra-firm-step-in-torsette-2771?ID=2387561

I just realized that the dr. may not want anything compression-wise over my breast! better look at the high panties instead.

• specialk
    Options

Kfinnigan - my PS called it a muffin top, lol! So not a technical term, right? The thing about the camisole type of compression for that area is that it tend to ride or curl up because it is hard to get it right enough to stay down - particularly if you have differential between waist and hip. The shorts one piece type stay down better but are squeezing you over more surface area

• Lharry
    Lharry Member Posts: 37
    Options

Great info! Thank you. I feel better prepared to ask some questions of my PS on Tuesday.

• specialk
    Options

lharry - good luck and hoping the FG does the job for you!

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    Options

hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and will appreciate any advice....

To make a long story shorter, November 9th I had prophylactic mx with TE placement on my left and delayed (original Dx and right mx in 2012), reconstruction with TE and some FG on my radiated right side without using any flaps.

It's been 2 weeks and since I'm having a lot of discomfort, itchy/burning pain in my chest, I emailed photo of my front to PS this morning. It looks like my left side has this large flattened boob expanding under my armpit, while my right is much smaller and more shaped. I was told that PS already filledTE with some saline, however much more to the left side than to the right (radiated) side. It seems like saline on left tends to fill my underarm area rather Than front... Is this normal? Also the nurse called me back and pointed out to some visible on the photo redness on my chest. She asked how long did I have it for? I didn't even pay any attention to it, so I don't know... Should I be worried ? What could cause this redness? Is the fat or TE being rejected? I've been on antibiotic since surgery, so it should not be any infection ...

Did anyone had a cancer recurrence due to FG?? Last night I read that fat stem cells can stimulate growth of any remaining dormant breast cancer cells... This freaked me out!!!

Maggs

• cateyz2
    cateyz2 Member Posts: 253
    Options

Well ladies I am scheduled for fat grafting tomorrow to fill in some divots and have to admit I'm a bit nervous. Hoping he can get enough fat from my thighs/hips. I am 5'4" and 128lbs. Anyone else similar in statue that has had this done and how much was your PS able to take?

• Free123
    Free123 Member Posts: 22
    Options

Hi Cateyz2, I had fat-grafting to fill in my upper poles and cleavage with my exchange surgery on Nov 12. I am small also- 5'4" and 108 lbs. When we met pre-op in her office the week before she laughed and said, 'you may not think I can find any fat, but I promise you I can.' Then the morning of surgery she really looked at me with no clothes on and began marking me up for the fat- grafting and surgery and was more like, "hmmm I'm not so sure...".

BUT as it turned out she got plenty from 3 spots on each upper thigh- inner and outer. I can't tell from my thighs that any was taken- they weren't big to begin with, but my breasts look perfect and very full! She was able to give my cleavage I didn't have before, which implants alone wouldn't have been able to do, she had said. Anyway, all that to say, I didn't have much fat to work with but she was able to get plenty and it all looks great. I will ask her at my next appointment exactly how much she took from my thighs.

Best wishes on your upcoming procedure!!

Freeland

• RAK1
    RAK1 Member Posts: 97
    Options

All fat has been reabsorbed!

Not so happy!

Sad

Robin

• specialk
    Options

RAK - bummer!

• cateyz2
    Options

Well got home from hospital about 6 last night. Donor sights included thighs. love handles and stomach. Have no clue how much was removed, I weigh 128lb and am 5'4" however I will ask today when I call to schedule post-op appointment. Will admit I am sore but tolerable with taking a Norco every four hours or so. Hope to be off of them this evening. However have been wide awake for the last few hours and I am back to sleeping in recliner so as night to roll over on to side or stomach!! Also I have some bruising in all areas and will keep eye on it. PS said I could shower on Thursday!!

• Elizabethaw
    Elizabethaw Member Posts: 165
    Options

RAK, I'm so sorry! How frustrating!

Cateyz, I found that the pain diminished noticeably around day 3 or 4. I hope you're getting some sleep and feeling better.

• cateyz2
    Options

I had my fat grafting done 11/24. he took fat from outer thighs, stomach and love handles. Not sure how much was taken as I was 128lbs going into surgery, not much fat, and assistant says he doesn't keep track. Bruising is relatively gone, still slightly tender in a few areas, and have been using a rolling pin to massage my stomach and wearing spanks, heading back to work on Monday.I Have a very physically demanding job (Mail carrier, this time of year is really harsh) Definitely improvement to foobs, however may need one more session to fill in large dent I had. I also can see results as far as defined shape in donor sites and understand it can take 3 months for final results

• Mel2328
    Mel2328 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    EnElle I love that you added fat to your lips. How did you think of this? Did PS do it during fat grafting surgery? Can I ask what they charged you. Any pain there recovering? Thanks!
  • cheddiecat
    cheddiecat Member Posts: 19
    Options

Having NAC reconstruction along with fat grafting from abdomen to fill in the divots above each implant on Monday!! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. Learned a lot about what to expect as far as recovery from reading through parts of this thread and especially appreciate the tip of getting a garment that has opening in the crotch area to make it easier in the beginning. My PS asked me to bring a high waist Spanx-type girdle, but most of them have a normal panty and it took a while to find one with the hooks & eyes in a store where I could actually try them on for size. But now I'm ready!

I had purchased Pink Perfects shortly after exchange surgery and knew immediately the first time I applied them that I would want something permanent because they looked so nice and made me feel "normal" again. PS is using origami method to create nipples but wants to use excess tissue she left on the sides to graft areolas. Still on the fence about that and haven't been able to find much information on the technique. Thinking Vinnies tattoos would be much easier? HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH AREOLA GRAFTING? Would really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

• kfinnigan
    Options

Had my 2nd fat grafting done 12/16/15, this time from my flanks (sides of waists), and he threw in some lypo of little love handles too, doing well, bruising went away fast because of the great compression panty I bought at Macy's, the Miracle Suit line, my PS loved it. It didn't have a crotch opening so using the bathroom was not fun for the first few days, but is tolerable now.

Cheddiecat, I had areola grafting done last May, PS took skin from upper inner thigh in the crease and created a beautiful areola and he created a nipple from my flap (I had lat flap recon). Everything healed fine and the only true discomfort I had was when the stitches came out of the graft donor site, ouchie.

• SJHovey1
    SJHovey1 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Fat Graphting session #2 happened today. Also had nipple reconstruction using a C-V flap. We shall see how it goes! First fat transfer retained a bit but I have lost 50 lbs since mid-September so that did impact the amount of Fat that I retained. Overall, I guess that's a good problem to have. This is my last surgery until I reach my goal weight. After that, we shall see what is needed. Tattoos by Vinnie set for August 2915. Just want the aereolas done by the best! :)

Hope you all are well. Follow up and read this site weekly.

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    Options

how are you losing the weight? I'm trying to work on that but haven't been successful.

• cheddiecat
    cheddiecat Member Posts: 19
    Options

SJHovey: Wow, good for you losing the weight!! Last year I lost 30 lbs, but 10 of them managed to find me this year dealing with diagnosis, decisions, 3 surgeries in 6 months. Well, lots of private pity parties, unfortunately, along with lack of exercise, will do that. Ugh! Looking forward to 2016 and putting all this behind me and getting back in shape.

KFinnigan: Thanks for responding about areola grafting. I went thru with it and at this point am glad I did. Was fortunate that all my stitches are dissolvable type. Yours sound like ouchie! Yikes! Nipples are huge (as expected) but I think I'll be very pleased as healing continues. Fat grafted areas look good and the bruising is almost gone. Only took 100 mL of fat. There's lots more donor material!! Oh well. Can't wait to stop wearing compression garments, but think it'll be for another month. Bought a torsette (wear your own bra garment) because still in bandages and can't wear a bra or put any pressure on the NAC or grafted areas and it stays up better than the spanx high waist garment. Seems very weird though.

Wishing everyone a happy and HEALTHY New Year!!

• SJHovey1
    SJHovey1 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Mommyathome- I lost 30 lbs by cutting sugar and carbs from my diet. That helped prepare me for gastric sleeve surgery which I had in November. Still eating the same healthy foods just much less in quantity. I was 3-5 miles per day as well. I was in the process of getting my sleeve when the Drs found my Breast cancer in May 2015.

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    Options

great job!!! Once I heal from my last surgery- had 3 abdominal hernias and had them repaired on dec 14, I am focusing on losing weight by eating healthier and exercising!

• ganzgirl2010
    ganzgirl2010 Member Posts: 56
    Options

Hi ladies,

I'm going in for my first fat grafting. The fat will be taken from my upper stomach. How long is recovery, how much pain should I expect and from where ? Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thank you ladies :)

• mjh1
    mjh1 Member Posts: 263
    Options

gangzgirl - I had FG from upper abdomen also. I didn't have a lot taken out so it wasn't quite as bad as I feared. Some soreness for first.week but only getting up off couch or out of bed. Wore a binder or snap crotch spank for 6 weeks though so that was annoying. I had no bruising. Don't know if this is because I didn't have a lot take out!or because I took arnica forte for a week. The more you have lipo'd the more discomfort n bruising u will have but it won't make u bedridden. My PS also had me limit my activities for first few weeks to give the fat a chance to find a blood supply. Good luck!!

• zenit
    zenit Member Posts: 9
    Options

I want to do fat transfer to help my radiated breast through reconstruction, would any Dallas, TX women recommend good surgeon who does this?

I like mine, but it is not something he is doing a lot, and I didn't get the vibe that he even wants to do it for me. I am currently with expander, again (grrrr!)

Went through LD last summer, after attempt to reconstruct and infection in dec. 2014. Had successful expantion and exchange in November, only for part of my flap scar to open and loosing that implant in December. He put smaller expander in, already fulled to what the size is going to be now (much smaller than lost implant, that was put in to match my healthy side). Now he says after all heals (which it is so far) he is going to exchange both sides for smaller implants.

I really want to do fat grafting, at least consult somebody who is good at it, and believes in technique. No only I think my skin there is very reactive, but also I do not like how thin it is. Lastly, size is something I am not completely happy with, but it is least of my worries, really.

So, if anybody has ideas on how to find good surgeon, please send me a message. I would greatly appreciate it!

• mjh1
    mjh1 Member Posts: 263
    Options

zenith - I sent u a PM.

• zenit
    zenit Member Posts: 9
    Options

Thank you, mjh1! Just asked her. She was helping me actually to choose right implants before my surgery.