Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fat Grafting, pros and cons

Options

Comments

• kingster
    kingster Member Posts: 289
    Options

My PS said binders weren't necessary because this wasn't high volume liposuction. But, I wore shape wear for my own comfort. My favorite was from "dress barn" brand that I found at Gabriel brothers. So supportive and comfortable too. My actual spanx seemed to want to roll down. My PS warned to not cause a crease by shapewear rolling down to the umbilical area. I was to keep it pulled up to my bra line.

• kingster
    Options

My PS said binders weren't necessary because this wasn't high volume liposuction. But, I wore shape wear for my own comfort. My favorite was from "dress barn" brand that I found at Gabriel brothers. So supportive and comfortable too. My actual spanx seemed to want to roll down. My PS warned to not cause a crease by shapewear rolling down to the umbilical area. I was to keep it pulled up to my bra line.

• Jackiegray
    Jackiegray Member Posts: 56
    Options

my question is about how much reabsorbing of fat did you have? Was it something that was very noticeable?

Thanks

• new__me
    new__me Member Posts: 53
    Options

My question: i had exchange surgery with FG 15 days ago. How/when will i know if the FG took? As the swelling goes down will i be able to tell? If some FG dies will i notice pain or visible signs? Thanks for any advice!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

It usually takes about six months to fully determine how much fat will stay at the grafted site. As swelling decreases you should be able to see how much fat has stayed - assessing how much reabsorption happens is a bit subjective, particularly if the grafting is done at exchange. Some PS will graft more fat than necessary to correct the defect to account for some reabsorption. I personally have had almost none with the three grafts I have had. One was a substantial graft to correct big divots between the clavicle and top of the implant. The problem was totally corrected by that graft. The second and third grafts were done to the left side after loss of the implant to prep for a new TE - done six months apart - and I also retained at least 80% of that fat. I will have another graft in May at exchange and downsize. There should be no pain with fat reabsorption, most people just see a resumption of the original issue to some degree - and some lose the entire graft, but I think that is fairly uncommon. Some PS do not do grafting with exchange because it can be difficult to tell where fat need to be placed, unless there is a pre-existing situation

• littleblueflowers
    littleblueflowers Member Posts: 391
    Options

Hi ladies! I have asked this before but not on this thread (I hope...chemo brain is real). Have any of you experienced fat grafting previous to having tissue expanders placed? I had radiation and my PS says that if she does grafting first then it reduces the chances of implant or TE failure to heal later. I can't find anyone who has had this exact treatment. Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks! Xoxoxox

• specialk
    Options

littleblue - have you looked at this linked thread? There are some people who had FG and rads as well as some info regarding another site with FG patients. Look for that info in dancetrancer's posts on the last couple of pages. I responded on your other thread, but did have FG prior to expander due to skin issues (necrosis and numerous surgeries resulting in fragile and compromised skin) although I did not have rads

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topics/744891?page=6

• littleblueflowers
    littleblueflowers Member Posts: 391
    Options

Thanks SpecialK! I hadn't seen that thread.

• Newgirls
    Newgirls Member Posts: 37
    Options

had fat grafting last week. How in the world do you remove the sticky residue from the surgical tape? I've tried make up remover, rubbing alcohol, the adhesive tape remover pads even and I'm still sticky!

• specialk
    Options

Try baby oil or vegetable oil, put it on a cotton ball and rub gently. Then use a warm clean washcloth that has a bit of dish soap and lay it over the residue and let it help soften. Rub gently after a few minutes, then rinse off. If you still have residue try gently rubbing a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol (it may work this time if there is less sticky residue) over the area - avoiding the incision itself. Wash and rinse again and use a moisturizing lotion.

• kingster
    Options

New girls, nail polish remover works every time;) Just make sure to wash your skin off after so it doesn't get irritated.

• Jackiegray
    Jackiegray Member Posts: 56
    Options

newgirls I used coconut oil. Worked like a charm.

• Newgirls
    Newgirls Member Posts: 37
    Options

thanks ladies. I'm going to deal with it again this morning again as I'm going in to work today. I bought baby oil and have cocunut oil too, Yesterday I put some powder on my chest which took care of the problem for the time being. I had done enough rubbing for a day.

• Nebraska917
    Nebraska917 Member Posts: 16
    Options

I'm two weeks post surgery and fat grafting and in one spot on the side of my stomach I have hard lumps where it used to be bruised. I plan to ask my PS about it on Wednesday. Did anyone else have this after fat grafting? Does it go away on its own?

• specialk
    Options

It can happen and usually goes away, but your PS may advise you to massage pretty aggressively. Were you advised to wear compression garments?

• Nebraska917
    Nebraska917 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Yeah. They sent me home in one and I have been wearing it. I meet with the surgeon on Wednesday for my follow up.

• ganzgirl2010
    ganzgirl2010 Member Posts: 56
    Options

Zenlt  thank you for responding. SO I had it done on 3-9-16. Ps told me no lifting of anything for 6 weeks, to wear velco girdle type thing for 4-5 weeks,which was very uncomfortable  but helped me eat much smaller meals and a lot less in general which was a benefit , I also had to wear a surgical bra for 6 weeks 24/7 ! The pain was definetely a 7 -8 on a 1-10 scale for the first week, sitting up was very difficult even walking for me was a bit difficult. The pain definetly lessened as the weeks went by but my left lower rib is still very painful...feels almost broken maybe ?? I can feel lumps on and under it and if touched, I screech like baby lol. Is it normal to have 7 on scale of 1-1o pain on my rib and weird lumps on and within the rib ??

• BeeRod123
    BeeRod123 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello, I have read many good things about breast reconstruction with fat grafts. It does seem like a longer process for a full recovery. I have read many testimonials and it seems like a good way to go. Check out this testimonial: Fat Graft Breast Reconstruction

• bbwithbc45
    bbwithbc45 Member Posts: 367
    Options

I'm scheduled for fat grafting and oophorectomy this coming Monday. I have a silly question... I was told to wear comfortable clothing on the day of surgery. So far all my surgeries were during colder months and I would wear a zip up or button up top and jeans to the hospital for surgery. This is my first summer surgery and I would be too hot in my long sleeve button ups. I cannot imagine putting on jeans after fat grafting from my belly and after ovary removal either. The only thing I can think of is a loose dress which zips up at the back, but I feel silly wearing a dress to surgery.

What did you ladies wear to surgery? Told you that I had a silly question... Happy

• specialk
    Options

BB - I wear light weight yoga/track pants that pull on with no zippers, a light weight loose zip up or button up top with no camisole or bra - but you could also wear a tank top you can step into and pull up, and flip flops.

• bbwithbc45
    Options

Thank you, SpecialK. You are awesome, always ready to help.

• specialk
    Options

BB - happy to be of assistance! It is funny - my go to surgery outfit is also sometimes my airport/flying outfit - doesn't set off the airport sensors! Good luck on your surgery - hoping all goes smoothly for you!

• kingster
    Options

Special K...how was your biopsy report? How are you doing now? Hope all is well with you!

And for comfy clothing...leggings are a girls best friend! And an oversized tunic length top;) I didn't have any trouble using my arms after fat grafting. Bending over was torture though:/

• specialk
    Options

kingster - the biopsies done during the exchange/implant swap surgery were a cornucopia of granulomatous stuff, fibrosis, metaplasia, and inflammation - but thankfully not cancer. Just for laughs, I developed an allergic reaction to either the dressings, the dermabond, or the pre-op antibiotic, which triggered an itchy rash everywhere there was either dermabond or a dressing. Fun! After most most of the week on Rx antihistamine, it subsided. Swelling is down, things look pretty good, considering. Very happy I downsized - so much more comfortable. You are so sweet to ask how things are, how are you doing?

• kingster
    Options

Thank God for no cancer!

I am still undergoing extensive testing, but have been diagnosed with "lymphocytic hypophysitis". An autoimmune disease that is attacking my pituitary gland, and possibly thyroid. So at least I have a good reason for feeling so crappy. I found 2 really good doctors that work together that specialize in this type of stuff, so I feel better about that. I was told it is genetic and very rare. I am going to a neurosurgeon and a neurologic endocrinologist.

• specialk
    Options

kingster - yes, I was very relieved by the pathology report, to say the least. I am so sorry you find yourself having to deal with an autoimmune problem. Diagnosing and coming up with a treatment plan can be frustrating - my mom had a rare one for 25 years. Please keep in touch with your progress and I wish you the best in finding out how to effectively handle this, glad you have some good docs!

• kingster
    Options

Special K, thanks. What did your mom have? Treatment is very slow in coming. Hope I can get some sort of relief before it's too late.

• specialk
    Options

kingster - polydermatomyositis, complicated by CHF, hypertension, and a seizure disorder. She was treated by a combo of neurologist and rheumatologist. Her diagnosis took a long time, and her condition reached a crisis point before they finally figured it out. It was very frustrating

• kingster
    Options

It is totally frustrating. Feels like trying to find your way out of the woods by following a trail of breadcrumbs!

• bbwithbc45
    Options

I survived my fat grafting and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy 4 days ago and as usual, I'm getting impatient with my healing. I started to read this thread from the very beginning to see what is to be expected.

I'm still in some pain, although since yesterday I've been taking Tylenol or Advil during the day, and turning to Norco for sleeping time only (darn constipation...). I have all colors of rainbow on my belly and hips. Most of the pain happens when I try to move and my stomach muscles are involved. I do have a distinct part of my belly which hurts slightly all the time, more like a pressure, on the left lower side. I'm entertaining a thought of seroma building in the place of my ovary - is this plausible?

What bugs me most is that I look like a 6-months-pregnant Buddha. Even in my fattest days I didn't have such a big belly. Most of my clothes won't fit now. How long can I expect for this bloating to last?

About compression garments - after the surgery my PS said I didn't need to wear any. The day before yesterday I went to the first follow up. The PS wasn't there; I got to see his NP instead and she mentioned that some women liked wearing spanx, that they found it helpful. When I told her that the PS said I didn't need to, she said that he does that because he doesn't want women to rush and shop for spanx just because of this. Does this sound weird?

Anyway, after reading that most ladies on this thread did wear compression, I dug out my spanx from my drawer and I'm wearing it now, but I'm not sure how many hours a day and for how long I should wear it. My next follow up is in a couple of weeks.

Also, I was told not to wear any kind of bra for now. Thankfully, I'm allowed to work from home now, while recovering.