Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fat Grafting, pros and cons

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Faith- I had fat grafting 2 weeks ago. There were only small incisions - the breast was not cut open again.

The PS took fat from my upper thighs and wants me to wear compression for 6 weeks. I bought an expensive surgical girdle and also tried spanx, but really the best (and cheapest) compression garment for upper thighs is control top panty hose! None of the others provided as much compression. I also started using arnica cream a week after fat grafting and noticed a reduction in bruising almost immediately.

I had the procedure on a Wed. and was back to normal activities by Sunday. I won't know for a couple of months how much of the fat takes, but will there is still a divit on one side, so I am already thinking that I will need a second FG.

Has anyone had FG while under twilight sedation? It only took one hour for the procedure but I was so groggy from the anesthesia that I slept the rest of the day.
  • Wildtulip
    Wildtulip Member Posts: 470
    Options

Grandma, I was reading back through some old posts and noticed you had asked a question about compression on breasts after FG. Did you talk to your PS at post op about this? I recently had pre-op and asked about wearing a compression cami, and my PS said it was okay to have compression on breasts. (Just not required as it is for donor sites.) Thanks for the panty hose tip!

I'm having FG on the 11th..excited for one more step forward.

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    Options

wildtulip- I saw the PA for my postoperative and forgot to ask about compression. For now I am just wearing a sports bra and she did not think there was any reason not to go back to a regular bra when I was comfortable. Good luck with you FG procedure

• Wildtulip
    Options

I was in surgery 24 hrs ago for FG. So far I have lots of bruising on chest, but haven't looked any further yet. Check out this odd bruise...It looks like a hand print on my abdomen. I'm not concerned, just wondering what the heck!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

wildtulip - if you have ever watched video of lipo you will see that they move the harvesting cannula back and forth, creating tunnels through the fat - that could definitely account for the bruising pattern you see. This is the same reason some docs advise compression as those tunnels can fill with fluid, and potentially cause a seroma or hardened areas at the donor site.

• Wildtulip
    Options

Specialk, thank you for sharing your wisdom!! I think I'm too squeemish to watch a video. Lol

• Wildtulip
    Options

Is it typical for breasts to be bruised after FG? My paperwork talks about bruising at donor sites, but breasts aren't mentioned. I should have asked when I called in to PS this AM, but I'm hazy from pain meds.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    Options

Wildtulip, - I was very bruised on breasts as well as donor sites. I wasn't expecting that, either!

• Wildtulip
    Options

NYCgirl, Thank you so much for your response!

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214
    Options

wild tulip- I had lipo on my abdomen 5 weeks ago. It's still tender certain ways I move. I'm sure it's nothing of concern bout check with your doctor to be safe.