Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Picture This!!

Options

Comments

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

we were on a trip and happened upon a balloon show. 

• socallisa
    Options

It was so much fun because we were not prepared for it. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

ncollett, I LOVE your composition - the way you set a "theme" to each picture that tells a story! Now you need to work on focus, though. If you aren't using a tripod, get one. I remember when I broke down and got one and my shots improved by 100%! Sometimes you just won't have time, but if you do, try it. Also, it's better to be back further and zoom into your picture than to try to get the camera up close. That makes the background nice and fuzzy and the focus of the pictures stays sharply defined. Otherwise, if you move in close, your camera doesn't know what to make sharp. And make sure your camera setting is on the "flower" for close-ups and the "mountains" for landscape shots. I've forgotten to change that setting many, many times and it makes a huge difference in what your camera will allow you to do. Keep up the GREAT shots, though! I really love your composition and the stories you tell.

• ncollett
    ncollett Member Posts: 753
    Options

barbe thank you so much! I have always wanted to take a photography class I just havent had the time or money to do what I really wanted to do. But now I have time so maybe I will try to get a tripod and do some more picture taking. Thank you so much for the advice I will definately do that.

• ncollett
    Options

• socallisa
    Options

at the lily pond today

• socallisa
    Options

• ncollett
    Options

Great picture Lisa

• socallisa
    Options

These were all from my morning's walk today

• car2tenn
    car2tenn Member Posts: 132
    Options

LISA breathtaking pictures bringing joy to this gal in music city

• socallisa
    Options

good day yesterday!!!

• barbe1958
    Options

Such pure colours!

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    Options

Beautiful pics and what a sweet little dog.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

Such beautiful pics, Ladies! ThumbsUp

Barbe - excellent suggestion about the tripod. My only addition would be that for certain pics where you ARE using the zoom - especially the big zoom (whatever that is called) - I would also use either a cable or a remote control (if your camera is so equipped) or even the automatic timer function to take the pic.

I learned this the hard way when trying to take pics of the Super Moon. Good camera, good tripod, but just the gentle pressure of my finger on the shutter release button gave just a bit of blur sometimes.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    Options

gorgeous pictures. We decided to drive to the Straits today and I forgot my stupid camera. I get so angry with myself sometimes!

Hubby bought me a tripod for our anniversary.  :)

• barbe1958
    Options

I have a monopod FOR my HUGE zoom lens!!! I attach my camera to the lens which is already mounted. My lens is about 18" long.

• clickchick
    clickchick Member Posts: 49
    Options

I can smell that Plumeria from here, Lisa. Beautiful shots! 

That beats my zoom lens, Barbe. I've got a Canon 400mm that's maybe 12". It does the trick (not that I'd turn down a 500 or 600mm ;)

• lyzzysmom
    lyzzysmom Member Posts: 285
    Options

More Wonderful shots. I love the flowers and that little dog. 

I use a Tripod and remote release for moon shots and a 300mm Tamron Zoom.I have a huge Rokinon lens too but its not that great. Also like tripod for bird shots, or at least rest it on a wall and a fast shutter speed. Having said that these were just taken holding my little fuji pocket camera as my main camera requires a backpack..I do try to lean against a wall or something even with the tiny camera when possible unless its nice and bright and the shutter speed is really fast, just to keep it still as poss. I had time to kill before my MO appt this week  so I took some pics of Boston and then orchids in the Dana Farber Indoor Garden.

• lyzzysmom
    Options

"Appeal to the Great Spirit" outside museum of Fine Art 

The Healing Garden

• socallisa
    Options

I gave all my lenses away. I am lens less except for those attached to my cameras. 

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,747
    Options

I just discovered this thread a few days ago. It is funny because I was thinking we needed a thread like this. I am so happy Gardengumby that you started this. I post on the bird watching thread occasionally and know of Lisa's talents already. I am a retired teacher that has a passion for learning photography. I am trying to teach myself and that has been a challenge. I have spent more hours reading about my camera than actually using it!

I had finished rads on July 3. On my way to there I discovered two swans which is something I don't see very often around here. I looked for those swans every day and my last few treatments I was thrilled to discover five babies as well.

A few weeks after rads I was finally feeling well enough to go back to this place and take some pictures. I posted one of them and Lisa had a great response so I figured I must have done something right! The last ten days I have felt really awful and I thought I had a stomach virus but now I think it might be a bad reaction to Arimidex. In my

image laying around and doing nothing I submitted this photo to our newspaper that circulates in the Chicago suburbs. They have a weekly photo contest. I am so thrilled to tell you that my swan photo was picked as one of three winners of the week. In my submission I told them about going to radiation and the swans were a bright spot in my day every day. When it actually came out today in the paper they have me living in the wrong place and they edited out all the radiation stuff. The theme was the joys of summer and I guess they figured going to radiation every day wasn't considered too joyful. LOL  So I am posting this winning picture and thanking Lisa for making me realize it had some merit. There are so many beautiful pictures here that I have not felt very worthy to post anything but here goes. Sorry this is so long.

Nancy

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Nancy, That is a beautiful photo of the swans. Congratulations on your win!!. Well deserved!!

Its so exciting and rewarding when something you do gets recognition!! I used to post regularly to iwitnessWeather until they messed with the site a year ago and had a few featured photos and that was just so exciting when it happened. I posted to NatGeo for a while but it is too big and I have not logged in at all since BC Dx.

I hope you stomach settles down. They put me on Tamoxifen last week even though I am Postmenopausal so waiting for some SEs to kick in Lol

Here is a little dragonfly that was in my yard. he sat and posed for me.

• birdlady222
    birdlady222 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Nancy, your swan picture is gorgeous!  And the story behind it gave me goosebumpsHappy  Congratulations on winning the contest!   I posted a swan pic when this thread was first started.   My hubby had taken me to the zoo for a nice day out.  I have been homebound for almost a year, and I just loved the zoo.  I took a pretty nice shot of a swan because they are so peaceful.  I printed it out and put it on my nightstand.  Your pic is even better with the babies!!  I wish I could copy it.   Keep posting your pictures!  You made my dayHappy Birdlady

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thanks Lizzym. If you submitted to NatGeo you are probably an awesome photographer. Congratulations on your photos being picked for the Iwitness weather. Are you from the Chicago area too if I may ask? One of our stations has a photo submission as well.

I know that there are a few options besides Anastrozole but I am trying to do everything I can before waving the white flag. It is possible that it has nothing to do with the drug and that it is a very stubborn virus. I am hoping for that.

Have a great weekend and I hope you have NO SE on Tamoxifen.

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi Birdlady,

I remember your swan. It was beautiful. Thanks for the encouragement. I have been pretty much homebound for ten days and I am about to go crazy so I can't imagine what you have been through. Hang in there and take as many trips to the zoo as you are able.

Nancy

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Hi Nancy, No I am far from awesome. There are some superb photographers on NatGeo but many are average. Its funny. The people that post do love sunsets, even bad ones and toxic skies if they are nice and colorful!!

I live in Massachusetts south of Boston.

• lyzzysmom
    Options

This is a favorite tree of mine in the neighbourhood . Sadly it is surrounded by ugly power lines so I used a bit of artistic licence.Winking

• socallisa
    Options

Nancy...way to go on the swan photo...I am so happy to see you here...

I never submitted any photos but I love it when someone I know wins..

SillyHeart

the more the merrier, I always say

lyz..the dragon fly is so nice...I guess I never even looked at dragon flies before but

I will now...

this is where I hung out for an hour yesteray...my little treasure..

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Lisa, Lovely photos and so tranquil. What a wonderful place to hang out. You should submit your photos. They are so good!!

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    Options

This isn't a fantastic shot, but I thought you may enjoy the difference of an Aussie Swan. This one is part of a group I often encounter on my walk with my dog Dexter. These Swans live in a paradise, with plenty to eat, but they have a pretty nasty disposition! Dexter won't go near the waters edge because they honk and hiss at him!

Loving the other shots here, it really is like taking a holiday!

I agree, Lisa, you should enter some of your work, it is so good!