Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

Options

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    Options

GMA- the wild irises or from your yard?

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    Options

Hi Jazzy - they are in our fields - we live on 5 acres of hills

• jazzygirl
    Options

• gmafoley
    Options

Remember that tree rose that supposedly died and I pruned it back to the stump? Thought it was gone because half the stump was rotted out - Well we should learn a lesson from this rose - It NEVER give up - we shouldn't either Winking

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,877
    Options

May we all be as sturdy as that rose.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

Jazzygirl: When I was a little kid in Northern Ontario lilacs only bloomed at the end June. I equate the smell of lilacs with the end of school. Lilacs smell like freedom. My lilacs are blooming now in the more temperate climate I now find myself.

• jazzygirl
    Options

First claret cup bloom

• saltmarsh
    saltmarsh Member Posts: 192
    Options

We moved into a new home in October. The person who sold it to us was widely accepted to be one of the two best gardeners in a 70 household radius. Her yard (I still think of it as hers) is coming into bloom now and I have no idea how I'm going to maintain it, but I also can't bear the thought of letting it get taken over with weeds! Having just had surgery, I also can't be digging things up or hauling mulch quite yet. Please think good thoughts for this beautiful garden and all her hard work!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,877
    Options

Saltmarsh, Just enjoy the garden. It would take a while to be smothered with weeds. If there's a local horticultural school, there might be a student who would be willing to help in the summer.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Saltmarsh- enjoy the garden and I agree with others, the weeds won't consume things for awhile. Let the blooms help you with your healing, nature is good for our recovery. Wishing you continued recovery from your surgery.

• princessbuttercup
    princessbuttercup Member Posts: 159
    Options

I’m gardening again for the first time in years. My previous attempt was before my husband and I were each diagnosed with cancer. During the pandemic we decided to finally make use of a side patio which had an overgrown patch of garden next to it. I’ve spent this spring working on it.

There are ornamental grasses, day lilies, purple and white coneflowers, Russian sage, Sedum “Autumn Joy,” Black-eyed Susans, and crocosmia so far. I’ve forgotten how therapeutic it is to dig in the dirt. This is an expensive habit but healthier than the pandemic chocolate bin. :)imageThe physical gardening work is sometimes hard due to Letrozole joint pain, but it’s nice to be outdoors.

Have also been watching Gardeners’ World on Amazon Prime. Such an addicting and calming show. Thanks for this thread.

• saltmarsh
    saltmarsh Member Posts: 192
    Options

Thank you for the nudges to relax and enjoy the garden. And thanks PrincessBut... for mentioning Gardeners World! I'd watched Big Dreams, Small Spaces or whatever Monty Don's other show was called, but had no idea I had access to several more seasons of lovely British gardening until you called my attention to it!

• princessbuttercup
    Options

Saltmarsh- I love Big Dreams, Small Spaces, too! And I always feel better watching Monty Don dig up his gardening failures. Wish I had a nice garden shed like that, though. And dogs.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

I’ve finally got some progress on the strawberries I brought indoors before the big Texas freeze and had a visit from a handsome onlooker.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Ill- you are going to get a freeze? Are you in Houston or out in West TX right now? That lizard is handsome.....

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

Jazzy, no freeze here, I saved it from the freeze in February. Still in Houston but hopefully back to the cabin next month.

• jazzygirl
    Options

The roses here are in spectacular bloom

• jazzygirl
    Options

blooming in my garden

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

My petunias are in the flowerbed. Want to get some marigolds and maybe another flower to add around my daddy’s tree.

• jazzygirl
    Options

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Had to replace all but two petunias. Got more petunias, marigolds and celosia earlier today.

• princessbuttercup
    Options

Here is my garden today. Purple and white coneflowers, rudbeckia, sedum, crocosmia, and some daylilies. Ornamental grasses are out of control. image

• gmafoley
    Options

No garden here this year - we are remodeling the kitchen and don't have the time.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 429
    Options

I've really enjoyed your gardens, ladies. I've been a big gardener for years too. I don't know why I haven't seen this before. The last few years I have been heavy into native wildflowers some call weeds. We have 11 acre woodland and 7 of acre wet prairie also called marsh. Both chuck full of wildflowers.

Been hard for me this spring to enjoy them as I'm in awful pain from axilla cording. Hoping therapy will take care of it soon.

Here's a picture of done of the wild geraniums in my garden Most people call the woods.

I'll be back

gailmary

• jazzygirl
    Options

imageimage

• gmafoley
    Options

• jazzygirl
    Options