Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

Options

Comments

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    Options

Those are so pretty Jazz. All my garden is full of ash and things are starting to rot :(

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,881
    Options

Gma, Thanks so much for checking in. I've been hoping you are OK. Are you still at your place, or did you have to evacuate?

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,935
    Options

GMA- I am so sorry to hear about the gardens but even more so about everything going on in Oregon. We have a lot of smoke down here from the fires in CO and the migrating birds are being found dead in droves. No one knows if it is the smoke or the big cold snap we had last week.

Stay safe sister and keep the faith. Something has to give in this crazy year....

• gmafoley
    Options

NO we didn't have to evacuate but the air quality is off the chart a 583. But we are surrounded by fires everywhere.

• jazzygirl
    Options

GMA- we had air quality here over 800 a couple weeks ago from smoke from both fires in Santa Fe and CO. It was one day though, but it's deadly stuff for my asthma, but bad for everyone when it is like over 100?

• gmafoley
    Options

Jazzy - We have been in this for over a week now and never under 500 until today - we are down to 383 - If I spend anytime outside my lungs get heavy. Our deer came to visit this morning.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Wow the deer are beautiful but the smoke!

• wren44
    Options

Poor creatures that don't have any inside to retreat to. I think we're not supposed to be outside unless we can't help it.

• gmafoley
    Options

Correct Wren,

A lot of our stores have closed during this time - and everyone now is wearing their facemasks LOL.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,440
    Options

The smoke from the fires out there is reaching out my way.

• wren44
    Options

The news said the smoke goes up 6000 ft. Alaska Air cancelled it's flights in and out of here today so as not to contribute to the pollution. Sorry you're getting it too. This morning I couldn't see the hill 7 blocks away. There's been a little sun and now it's faintly visible.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,440
    Options

I have friends and family in California, Oregon and Washington state. The fire in Oregon pretty close to my step-aunt’s place. My friends and family have been sending me pics of the smoke.

• jazzygirl
    Options

My gardens are starting to quiet down. But I had to share this today from my cousin who is a fellow gardener and thought this was funny. This is me in the spring time!

• wren44
    Options

Jazzygirl, So true! Thanks for the laugh.

Teka, Same with our tomatoes.

• wren44
    Options

Teka, I saw a couple of those bushes yesterday and wondered what they were. Thanks for giving them a title. Squirrels seem to be able to get into every bird feeder that exists. We saw one at the zoo doing backbends to reach the seeds. He had to have been using more calories than he gained. Quite an athlete.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- really beautiful. Our unexpected snow storm here ruined a lot of the trees changing color, but I am still hopeful for the red oak in the back yard that still has it's leaves and is still turning. By Thanksgiving, it is a lovely blazing red and will share pics when the time comes.

Happy daylight savings everyone. My gardens have gone to sleep but I look forward to next spring when things begin to bloom again!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

I actually looked up this bush Teka. Apparently in warmer climates it goes totally wild. Still, it's lovely. I read that the dwarf grows 8-10 feet, but maybe I could keep it pruned? Looks like something that birds & butterflies would love.

• jazzygirl
    Options

• gmafoley
    Options

Grew some birdhouse gourds and now making them into birdhouses for the spring. This is after first coat of paint.

Any suggestions on where to hang them for my wrens and hummingbirds?

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

gmafoley, very cool!

Edited to add, I’ve never seen these before but i love them, just bought seeds and will start the process when appropriate. Looks like a super fun project and I have the perfect tree where birds hang out.

• gmafoley
    Options

The are done and ready for spring Happy

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

beautiful gma

• jazzygirl
    Options

• ddfair
    ddfair Member Posts: 65
    Options

Oh Jazzy! Thanks for brightening my day. Whatever is that flower? They looks like tiny faces. My garden has nothing blooming this time of year. I do have shoots coming up for spring bulbs so that gives me hope.

• ddfair
    Options

Teka,

I wish we had snow. This winter has just been mud and rain. Very dreary. If I put out peanuts I would only attract rats from my garbage hoarding neighbor. Where I live eastern grey squirrels are listed as an invasive species. They have nearly replaced the native Douglas squirrels. We are allowed to kill as many as we like. But I don't know how to do that safely.

De

• gmafoley
    Options

That is the closest snow - for 4 weeks now we are supposed to get snow at our place - just rain and our front flat is now Lake Foley ;-)image

• jazzygirl
    Options

I pulled that pic off FB and it is some type of orchid but not sure what the name of this kind is. I just loved it and thought for those of us in the northern hemisphere in the midst of winter, we needed a bit of cheery!

• jazzygirl
    Options

In the midst of multiple snow storms. I found these at the grocery store last night with the hopes of spring coming soon. We need the moisture here so the storms are welcomed, but not the bitter cold

• ddfair
    Options

FINALLY! I have something blooming in the garden. It's been a long winter. Thanks Teka for your pictures. Really lifts my spirit.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Jazzy - LOVE the tulips. I'm in Houston, so 99% of what's in my yard is frozen black or a mushy, soggy pile. I will prune the roses tomorrow but pretty much everything else is toast.