Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

Options

Comments

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

GmaFoley— nice

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,935
    Options

Gma- excellent

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    Options

We have bumblebees here but don't see many honey bees this year. Are they going extinct or how can I bring them in?

• jazzygirl
    Options

Lots of them in NM but know they are in trouble

• jazzygirl
    Options

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

This is my quarantine garden in New Jersey...wilting in the crazy heat

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

happy to report that my pink hibiscus plants are in full bloom and the white hibiscus is about to bloom. Always so happy to see them bloom each year. Hibiscus and bird of paradise remind me of the home I grew up in

• jazzygirl
    Options

Lauren- beautiful garden. I am originally from the east coast and heard it's been hot back there. Keep those plants well watered!

• gmafoley
    Options

Sweet Italian Peppers are going crazy in the heat.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,881
    Options

Possums love ticks. You'll be safer with him/her around.

• celand
    celand Member Posts: 223
    Options

My husband actually has the green thumb at our house but I have started to get into gardening and plants about 4 years ago. I began with growing vegetables in pots, have tried my hand at growing watermelon and herbs. Now I maintain our front garden, porch and house plants. I let my husband grow and maintain our vegetable garden. This spring/summer he has grown tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash, corn, eggplant and okra.

For those of you familiar with peace lily's, mine was given to me as a gift from my daughter, but is not doing well and is wilted. I have tried moving it from inside to outside on our porch, it did perk up but wilted again. I may have overwater it but it has been a couple of weeks and it looks worse than ever! I have placed it under our fluorescent light in our kitchen and it is trying to perk up. My husband thinks that maybe repotting it might help. It is still in basket that florist had it in. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Photo of my husband's garden:

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    Options

Celand - I was given a peace lily several years ago and it never bloomed again until....... several months ago I googled how to care for a peace lily, and found out that they actually like moist soil (but don't like to sit in standing water) so I began giving it more water. They also like indirect light from a nearby window. You can find other tips by googling it. Good luck.

• wren44
    Options

Repotting could be a good idea. Florists don't always have the best pots for long-term growing,

• jazzygirl
    Options

We have a farm here where there is yoga and music on the weekend mornings. I went today for both (first time for yoga outdoors), been several times this season for music.

I went through their gardens today too and here are some highlights I thought you might enjoy!

• wren44
    Options

Thanks for the cheer!

• celand
    Options

Wren44 and Kayak2,

I will try repotting my Peace Lily in a larger pot and place it by a window in our den. Hopefully it will perk up again. I have heard that they are very forgiving plants!

Celand

• wren44
    Options

There was one in a conference room where I worked. Hardly got any light at all, so I'll bet water is the problem. Tell it how much you want to give it what it wants.

• Blundin2005
    Blundin2005 Member Posts: 27
    Options

The finch appreciated a sip of water during this heat.

The skies are smokey but the grapges are ripening and yummy.

• celand
    Options

I took my almost dead peace lily out of the basket and plastic bag that the florist put it in. Then, I watered it really well but the water drain out as I watered it. The next day it was a different plant and is now very much alive! I do have it on my front porch but not in direct sunlight.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

Hello gardeners, I know some of you from other threads and I trust I’ll get good advice here. I’m looking for your top tips for starting my new garden.

I’ve had a successful backyard garden years ago but let it go to help care for my brother in law who lived with DH and I, sadly he passed from pancreatic cancer years ago. At the moment, we are preparing to move to our mountain cabin in west Texas. We will have a greenhouse and I plan to grow vegetables primarily but I’d also like some grapes/berry bushes outside.

Our two big problems are being rusty when it comes to the greenhouse veggies and rocky land and many critters outside. I’ve included a couple of pics of the environment for perspective.

So, the question, what are some things you’d recommend we must and must not do? Thanks!

• wren44
    Options

I would ask locally what berries might do OK. And plan to fence out a lot of those critters. What is the one with the long snout (on the right under the big picture)? You would probably have to irrigate for grapes. I know the growers in western WA have to and it's pretty dry and hot there.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

wren, I believe that is a young Texas wild hog. They’re a real problem here and aggressive.

• gmafoley
    Options

We live out in the wild forest of Oregon Illiame. As far as wildlife goes, you need a fence high enough the can't jump around your garden. Removing rocks can be hard but If you can remove the big ones and kind of stack a square of them around where you want to plant and get good soil put in the surround, that might work.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Ill- welcome to the gardening thread sister! So glad you are thinking about creating a new garden in your new retirement space.

I might suggest you look to locate the Master Gardeners web site for that area in west TX. They usually have a guide book that will give you lots of tips on what to do or not to do/watch out for in your particular area. Here is one I found that may apply but look specific for your area.

Fall is a good time to plant some bulbs, and sometimes trees and shrubs too. Given your location, you may be a lot like here where you need to really look for low water trees, shrubs and plants. Helping things to survive and thrive in a more arid climate takes some effort and sometimes some trial and error along the way. Location nurseries specializing in plants indigenous to your area are usually the best way to go.

https://txmg.org/conchovalley/gardening-in-west-texas/

Oh it looks like you have some javelinas (wild boar) in your area. They are here too, but further south and as close as a mile to the south of the ABQ area. I know they will root and dig up gardens. One of my favorite books by Barbara Kingsolver called Pigs in Heaven is about the javelina's that dig up her gardens all the time in Tuscon.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/trans_pecos/big_game/javelina/

Hope this gets you started! Congrats on finally making the move out to your dream property!

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- that is a lovely flower and the cutest darned spider. I have never seen a white spider before!

• celand
    Options

Kayak2,

I took it out of the plastic wrapping from florist and watered it really well, I let the water drain out of the holes on bottom but left it on porch out of direct sunlight but with my other porch plants, that did the trick! It perked back up, grew new leaves, yesterday I cut off the brown leaves, it seems to be happy!

• jazzygirl
    Options

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    Options

Celand, glad you were able to revive it!

• wren44
    Options

Lovely. My GGMA always planted those. In Okla they only did well on the north side of the house and she had to keep them watered.

• jazzygirl
    Options