Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Scares That Turned Out To Be Nothing

Options

Comments

• fd1
    fd1 Member Posts: 55
    edited September 2017
    Options

hlegasa - no experience, but good luck to your mother for her biopsy today! Keep us posted.

• Theresanne
    Theresanne Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2018
    Options

Alice! Going through this right now...did you have reconstruction after mastectomy? I did not, and have just found a soft, moveable lump on the cancer side about ..its been almost 6 years...your post giveshim hope its a lipoma or cyst....seein the oncologist soon, butyour post gives me some hope....

• Alicethecat2
    Alicethecat2 Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Thereseanne

I haven't had reconstruction yet like you. My aggressive treatment did cause quite a few side-effects - low white blood count for a few years as well as the lumps and bumps - but it was worth it. Just could not face reconstruction at that time. However, I still hope to.

By the way, are you the sort of person who is prone to having allergies? Just wondered as my body seems to be prone to making lumps and bumps. But the have all turned out to be benign.

Fingers crossed for you!

Alice

• Theresanne
    Theresanne Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2018
    Options

hello Alice! Yes...since I was young..had alot if lmps,benign thyroid nodules...Do have many allergies, fibromyalgia...lymph nodes react to the slightest things..hoping, praying this is just another stupid thing that has popped up...Dr. Next week....crying every day when everyone goes to sleep..I'm in agony over this...If it were a local recurrence..I'd be crushed..but I would get through...but if it is worse...I would not get through it...I would rather die

• Alicethecat2
    Alicethecat2 Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hello Theresanne

I'm truly sorry you're going through this. It is scary wondering if the cancer has returned. Hopefully it hasn't.

In the meantime, yes, I do suffer from allergies - asthma, hayfever, nickel and penicillin - so if you have a similar profile you could find that you create benign lumps and bumps like me.

I hope so!

Alice

• kimm992
    kimm992 Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks for this thread...I needed to read it today.

I have been having very slight discomfort in my lower back for the past couple of months (not pain...just a bit of discomfort). I have always had issues with a sore back so I didn't really put much thought into it. Then last week I started having severe abdominal pain...I went to the ER convinced I must have liver mets. Turns out it was appendicitis. They decided to treat me with antibiotics instead of doing emergency surgery.

Three days into the antibiotics (Cipro and Flagyl) I was having diarrhea and tingling/numbness in my feet. I stopped the antibiotics on Friday but the numbness and tingling still comes and goes in my left foot. I am now feeling every little twinge in my back...and I have been losing my mind and having what I think are panic attacks since last Tuesday (when the tingling started).

I have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday to discuss all of this. I keep trying to tell myself it's just the side effects of the heavy duty antibiotics or maybe it's a slipped disc (my mom had degenerative disc disease at my age that required surgery).

Reading this thread has helped calm me down a little...

• kimm992
    edited May 2018
    Options

Just wanted to update.

I ended up having a bone scan because of the discomfort in my lower back and the tingling in my feet and hands. All clear!

The doctor is positive the tingling was caused by the hardcore antibiotics I was on. The lower back pain is mild and is just due to getting older. I was SO scared and losing sleep. Turned out to be fine!

• Falconer
    Falconer Member Posts: 801
    edited May 2018
    Options

great news, Kimm!

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    edited May 2018
    Options

Kimm992,

Wonderful news! And thank you so much for sharing your experience. You have undoubtedly given relief to many, many folks experiencing something similar. God bless you

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi everyone...I just went through something a little scary. I started having right sided chest pain. I did a lot of research and decided it was either mets or something called costochondritis. It is inflammation of the sternum and ribs. The pain was constant and lasted 3 months! I didn't go to the doc until the end and he was not impressed. It eventually went away 100 percent. So try to remember its NOT always a recurrence!

• colt45
    edited May 2018
    Options

dtad,

Thank you for sharing your story. It’s so important for everyone to realize just how many different things can get us thinking the worst, but in the end were nothing to be worried about

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited May 2018
    Options

Yikes, aside from the Sternum thing now we learned an Ovary Cyst has grown 1cm over the past year and is now 3.6cm. Over the past couple months, I've had an ultrasound for a Kidney Cyst, CT Scan for Sternum issue, a PET Scan, and CT Scan for Possible Hernia Return. Already scheduled is a Transvaginal Ultrasound end of May and in July a CT Scan to recheck the Sternum.

The Surgeon repaired the Hernia initially has the Disc now to review if it's choosing to play foul and return. Thing is, to do any Ovary biopsy or removal isn't easy since mesh was used to repair the hernia. So I trust next to no one to not mess up my mesh without having him around.

C, the gift that keeps on giving and causing scares. Now it's Six years since BMX and Five years on AI. I try very hard to be positive that none of this is bad. We all know how difficult that can be at times.

Sally

• colt45
    edited May 2018
    Options

Galsal,

I’m sending prayers for good results coming up and for some less complicated days ahead for you. You deserve some smooth seas. Thank you for sharing. I’m certain you’ve comforted others who feel like they can’t catch their breath sometimes—because it just seems like one thing after another. You seem to be taking on these things one at a time and moving forward. God bless you

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks bunches, Colt. At times I feel like I'm overly cautious. if so, oh well. The best news is that I'm out of town visiting my Sister. While I'm here, I can go attend my Son's Deployment Ceremony. He's an LPN in the Army. Ceremony is on Wednesday and I'm only about 2-1/2 to 3 hours away!! Way easier to attend than from FL to WA!

• StrongEnough
    StrongEnough Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi everyone,

I’m waiting to have a liver CT scan next week. It was ordered because of repeated liver enzyme levels being elevated. I know it is most likely nothing but then why are they doing the scan? I feel like talking to family and friends about it - I want to share the burden - but I don’t want to worry them, and I’ll feel foolish if (when) it is nothing. In the back of my mind are the memories of all the “it’s probably nothing” experiences with the call-back for a repeat mammogram, ultrasound, biopsy, sentinel node ... and then the anaphylactic reaction to chemo, hospitalization for neutropenia, the side effect from the AIs... But I need to balance all that out with the fact that I survived treatment and seem to be doing well!

In other words, I am doing fine, but I am worried, and need to tell someone that.

• colt45
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi StrongEnough.

I hear you. Prayers to you. Check back in

• sparklypink
    sparklypink Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2018
    Options

Kimm: thanks for sharing your story and results. I have a bone scan scheduled for next week - based on back pain and numbness/stiffness/tingling in my hands. I'm prepared for whatever - but it's nice to hear at least one story where it was NOT mets. Are things still ok with you? Hope so!!!!!

• adelozier
    adelozier Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2018
    Options

Bump

• adelozier
    adelozier Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2018
    Options

Looking for more hope..

• Lovinggrouches
    Lovinggrouches Member Posts: 346
    edited August 2018
    Options

1 year after completion of rads, felt multiple tiny hard areas to chest wall, had uktrasound and was negative. Had elevated liver enzymes with ultrasound and mrcp and diagnosed with fatty liver. Had chest pain with shooting pains to shoulder and ribs for 2 months with resulting chest ct and ekg and again all negative. Think I had costochondritis. Cancer is DEFINITELY the gift that keeps giving!

• kimm992
    edited January 2019
    Options

I am back to add yet another scare that turned out to be nothing! I started having horrible pain in my abdomen on the right side under my rib cage. I was so scared it was something wrong with my liver. xray and ultrasound showed my liver was perfect. Then the pain turned into horrible burning. Then I went to the washroom one day and the toilet was filled with blood. Needless to say, I lost it.

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy a couple of weeks ago. Turns out I have gastritis and hemorrhoids (which is where the blood came from). Colon was perfect. I'm on Zantac 150 twice/day and am feeling MUCH better.

• colt45
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experience Kimm. It will undoubtedly help many who are waiting for test results.

• rsdavid
    rsdavid Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2019
    Options

Since original diagnosis in 2012, I've had three serious scares. The first was migraine headaches that were lasting 3 to 5 days! MO ordered a brain mri which was clear. It seems that chemo left me with cluster migraines. The second scare was pain in my lower back. This pain was much more intense than any I had previously experienced . A bone scan showed that I had degeneration in my lower spine, no cancer , and a subsequent MRI showed a herniated disk. My third major scare was an MRI of my lower back showing a lesion in the marrow of my spine! Yikes! The difficulty was that I had to wait 6 months for a followup. Just about went crazy imagining the worst. The followup MRI didn't get a correct picture so a bone scan was ordered . A cyst - whew!

I'm trying to remember that worry simply keeps me from enjoying today.

Thanks for starting this thread. It has helped me immensely .

• colt45
    edited January 2019
    Options

rsdavid,

Thank you for your participation in this thread. You are undoubtedly helping others. God bless and continued good health

• new_direction
    new_direction Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2019
    Options

I had "liver pain" - was related to diet/gallstone.

I had pain in joint, lighted up on CT scan - was exercise related

small red skin change above scar - wait for now 5 years, no change, MO think its a red mole.

skin change on other breast - was removed, turned out to be eczema

headaches, blurry vision, dizziness - migraine triggered by treatment

• colt45
    edited August 2020
    Options

I wanted to bump this because there was such great participation and I felt like it helped people (including my wife) to not freak out when something feels “off”—because it’s probably something minor.

• heatherpsalm34-4
    heatherpsalm34-4 Member Posts: 50
    edited September 2020
    Options

how did your lymph node turn out? I had an ultrasound of one in my neck, and now because of the way it appeared I need a biopsy...is it possible it’s not cancer? It has cortical thickening, loss of fatty hila and was hypoechoic..

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited September 2020
    Options

Heather, I have a lump on one side of the throat that showed up in May. I was terrified. It turned out within few days a 1.6 cm thyroid nodule was created. The biopsy showed benign. Now I have to go every year to have US to check and make sure it stays the same.

• brittandherboobs
    brittandherboobs Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2020
    Options

I'll add to this while I await my own scary results..

A few months ago I had pretty severe back pain, went in to onc who ordered a bone scan.

Bone scan comes back with my T12 lit up.

I thought it must definitely be cancer, after an MRI we found out it was arthritis. Just wanted to add that in there in case anyone else ever finds this and is in a similar boat.

This week however? I found a new breast lump so I'm waiting on a mammogram and ultrasound for that.

• colt45
    edited December 2020
    Options

Bum